PDA

View Full Version : An Amazing Landing and Amazing Hero

SLC
01-16-2009, 06:21 AM
Thursday afternoon an A-320 US Airways plane with 155 passengers and crew had to make an emergency landing in the Hudson River shortly after takeoff.. Its reported that an engine and possibly 2 failed after some geese hit the engines... What happened after that is nothing short of heroic and cool under pressure..

The pilot Chesley B. "Sully" Sullenberger who is a former USAF fighter pilot and has worked for US Airways since 1980 made the most perfect, most improbable landing on the cold waters of the Hudson River.. And while not only landing the plane perfectly and keeping it intact, he also helped the passengers and made sure everyone of them were safely removed from the plane.

Sources tell CNN that Chesley B. "Sully" Sullenberger was piloting US Airways flight 1549 from New York's LaGuardia airport to Charlotte, North Carolina, when at least one of the plane's engines failed.

Passenger Jeff Kolodjay offered "kudos" to Sullenberger for a landing that minimized damage to the aircraft and its 155 passengers and crew.

"All of a sudden the captain came on and he told us to brace ourselves and probably brace ourselves pretty hard. But he did an amazing job -- kudos to him on that landing," said Kolodjay, who was sitting in seat 22A.

Sullenberger's wife told CNN that she was stunned to hear the news from her husband after it was all over.

"I hadn't been watching the news. I've heard Sully say to people, 'It's rare for an airline pilot to have an incident in their career,' " said Lori Sullenberger of Danville, California.

"When he called me he said, 'There's been an accident.' At first I thought it was something minor, but then he told me the circumstances and my body started shaking and I rushed to get our daughters out of school."

US Airways said all 155 passengers and crew are alive and safely off the plane.

Sullenberger apparently was forced to make an emergency landing after geese were sucked into one or both of the jet's engines. An eyewitness working on the west side of Manhattan said the belly of the plane touched the water first.

An official who heard tape recordings of the radio traffic from Flight 1549 reported the pilot was extraordinarily calm during the event.

Berretta was sitting in seat 16A right over one of the engines when it failed and the pilot turned the plane to align it with the Hudson River. He described silence in the plane as the passengers waited to hear from the crew.

A few moments later, the direction to brace for landing came.

The full story here...http://www.cnn.com/2009/TRAVEL/01/15/usairways.landing/index.html

Absolutely wonderful job sir... God Bless you.:notworthy

dada
01-16-2009, 07:50 AM
The made for TV movie will be on Lifetime next Saturday at 7. Robert Duvall will play the role of "Sully".

dragonsdaddy
01-16-2009, 08:48 AM
anyone who's spent any time with a stick between their knees knows what he did was much more than improbable. it was dead solid perfectly miraculous. the sims will have to include a perfect, walk/swim away from landing in their scenario outcomes now. if every passenger didn't give him some serious love afterwards, they deserve every bad thing that might happen to them from now on.

LUFPAN
01-16-2009, 09:01 AM
If I was on a plane that just crashed into an icy river and then I was able to walk away I would;

1. Stop by my church and tell God thanks.
2. Buy a lottery ticket, at that point in time I'm as lucky as I'll ever be.

SLC
01-16-2009, 09:15 AM
If I was on a plane that just crashed into an icy river and then I was able to walk away I would;

1. Stop by my church and tell God thanks.
2. Buy a lottery ticket, at that point in time I'm as lucky as I'll ever be.

Thats the thing.. It didnt crash.. It landed as perfectly as you could imagine, short of landing like it was designed to, on a runway.. Everything intact, no wings broke, no plane broke in half, no windows broke... Absolutely unthinkable...

I'm with you on buying the lotto tickets... One thing I might do, is ask the pilots birthdate.... and play those numbers..everyday for the rest of my life.

CCHS77
01-16-2009, 10:13 AM
Thats the thing.. It didnt crash.. It landed as perfectly as you could imagine, short of landing like it was designed to, on a runway.. Everything intact, no wings broke, no plane broke in half, no windows broke... Absolutely unthinkable...

I'm with you on buying the lotto tickets... One thing I might do, is ask the pilots birthdate.... and play those numbers..everyday for the rest of my life.

I’m thinking that you should use the date that he got his pilots license.

SLC
01-16-2009, 10:17 AM
Iím thinking that you should use the date that he got his pilots license.

Very true... As that is the date that he was entrusted to carry such precious cargo.

CCHS77
01-16-2009, 10:26 AM
Still no talk (that Iíve seen) about the co-pilotís role in getting the liner down in one piece. Iím telling you he/she was equally busy in the cockpit on that short flight!

SLC
01-16-2009, 10:56 AM
To further the awesome-ness of this story The pilot used to live in Denison, Tx. and is a graduate of Denison High School, in 1969.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/6214410.html

Very cool indeed, as I grew up in Denison and I am a 1989 graduate of Denison High School.

KLH75287
01-16-2009, 11:10 AM
anyone who's spent any time with a stick between their knees knows what he did was much more than improbable. it was dead solid perfectly miraculous. the sims will have to include a perfect, walk/swim away from landing in their scenario outcomes now. if every passenger didn't give him some serious love afterwards, they deserve every bad thing that might happen to them from now on.

No Doubt....

To "deadstick" this landing was more than amazing. There could not have been a better man in that chair.

GO SULLY!

F18mustang
01-16-2009, 02:00 PM
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h2/bobbywn/us1.jpg

F18mustang
01-16-2009, 02:00 PM
http://jetsmoke.com/crash.jpg

svhorns
01-16-2009, 02:54 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3111/3200086900_4d628d9b9a_b.jpg

slorch
01-16-2009, 05:59 PM
This is the situation that you go on camera and say, " I just want to thank the Lord..."

not for winning a football game.

or maybe any opportunity is a great opportunity to glorify God...;):notworthy

SLC
01-16-2009, 06:05 PM
This is the situation that you go on camera and say, " I just want to thank the Lord..."

not for winning a football game.

or maybe any opportunity is a great opportunity to glorify God...;):notworthy

Very true Slorch and well said.:)

F18mustang
01-17-2009, 12:17 AM
Exclusive video footage found on a webcam in New Jersey. FF to 2:00 to see the ditching.

http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-183256