PDA

View Full Version : if you were a coach..

dada
01-04-2009, 06:36 PM
and you have a great athlete in your program...such as a Russell Shepard or Vince Young. Do you revamp your entire offense to showcase that player and take advantage of his skill.....or do you run an offense that will still be effective once that player graduates?

Example...Katy loses Dean and Mitchell and players know the system and can step right in.

How will schools like Cy-Ridge and Morton Ranch look when that "Superstar" is gone? Can you still run the same offense?

Not a shot at anyone, just an honest question.

svhorns
01-04-2009, 06:41 PM
and you have a great athlete in your program...such as a Russell Shepard or Vince Young. Do you revamp your entire offense to showcase that player and take advantage of his skill.....or do you run an offense that will still be effective once that player graduates?

Example...Katy loses Dean and Mitchell and players know the system and can step right in.

How will schools like Cy-Ridge and Morton Ranch look when that "Superstar" is gone? Can you still run the same offense?

Run the system... add plays during off-season for that player...

abileneeagles311
01-04-2009, 06:43 PM
Run the system... add plays during off-season for that player...
i agree

TXHSFootball55
01-04-2009, 06:44 PM
Thats a good question. I think the majority of coaches don't have a program or system so they have to see who the athletes are and build around them. This of course hurts you both short and long term. Short term if key players get hurt during the season and long term a rebuild every year.

Empire strikes back
01-04-2009, 06:45 PM

In bold is my answer. You got to have an offensive system that is effective for as long as your in that particular program.

abileneeagles311
01-04-2009, 06:45 PM
Thats a good question. I think the majority of coaches don't have a program or system so they have to see who the athletes are and build around them. This of course hurts you both short and long term. Short term if key players get hurt during the season and long term a rebuild every year.
Chris Williams is gonna be hard to replace

twcpfan1
01-04-2009, 06:46 PM

Been kinda sorta wondering the same thing but kind of the reverse way. How successful will somebody like Shep be in College where he actually needs to run an offense rather than be the offense? Or did Les Miles draft him as a WR or Athlete? I'm sure the VY references are to follow.

dada
01-04-2009, 06:46 PM

Prime example...Morton Ranch was undefeated, went toe-to-toe with Katy for a half....Mitchell goes out and the entire offense shuts down.

Besides Katy...what schools have good SYSTEMS?....same offense year in and year out?

dada
01-04-2009, 06:49 PM
Been kinda sorta wondering the same thing but kind of the reverse way. How successful will somebody like Shep be in College where he actually needs to run an offense rather than be the offense? Or did Les Miles draft him as a WR or Athlete? I'm sure the VY references are to follow.

Exactly, again, not taking shots at anyone, but does having a Vince Young or Russell Shepard make coaching not "THAT" important? And are the coaches actually concerned more about winning than developing a player? Wouldn't it be better for the kid if you played him as a WR?

abileneeagles311
01-04-2009, 06:51 PM
Exactly, again, not taking shots at anyone, but does having a Vince Young or Russell Shepard make coaching not "THAT" important? And are the coaches actually concerned more about winning than developing a player? Wouldn't it be better for the kid if you played him as a WR?
i've also wondered that cuz abilene high has had a lot of qb's in the past few years that have gone to college for something else other than quarterback

svhorns
01-04-2009, 06:52 PM
Prime example...Morton Ranch was undefeated, went toe-to-toe with Katy for a half....Mitchell goes out and the entire offense shuts down.

Besides Katy...what schools have good SYSTEMS?....same offense year in and year out?

que? You've been here long enough to know who and who does not have good systems

dada
01-04-2009, 06:57 PM
que? You've been here long enough to know who and who does not have good systems

And SV....lol. Katy and SV don't rely on having great athletes....many call their systems "basic"....but it gets the job done.

twcpfan1
01-04-2009, 06:59 PM

My guess is coaches will probably try and tell you that their primary job is to get as many wins for the team and not to get individual players D1 scholarships. IMO, a lot of HS coaches do not put emphasis on making their athletes better football players. I think I raised that question in a thread sometime during the 2008 season. I also made a comment on the College board that for the most part, HS coaches in Texas now run systems that do not necessarily prepare HS athletes (on the offense anyway) for the next level so I'm starting to doubt the quality of Texas recruits.

dada
01-04-2009, 07:01 PM
My guess is coaches will probably try and tell you that their primary job is to get as many wins for the team and not to get individual players D1 scholarships. IMO, a lot of HS coaches do not put emphasis on making their athletes better football players. I think I raised that question in a thread sometime during the 2008 season. I also made a comment on the College board that for the most part, HS coaches in Texas now run systems that do not necessarily prepare HS athletes (on the offense anyway) for the next level so I'm starting to doubt the quality of Texas recruits.

True.....most kids will never play in the system that they played in HS again.

MemorialMustangs
01-04-2009, 07:04 PM

We run a very similar offense year in and year out... This year we used a lot more spread and passing because we had a great QB and a great group of WRs... But we were still a power running team at heart, and lived and died by it... The only playoff game we played in, they shut down our running game up the middle, and everything else just didnt work out like it did for every other game... The 5 losses on our Oline made it even more difficult... But as a whole, we are always a power running team first... Last year we probably passed more than ever before, but we still relied on our running game

svhorns
01-04-2009, 07:04 PM
And SV....lol. Katy and SV don't rely on having great athletes....many call their systems "basic"....but it gets the job done.

lol...thanks for the retribution...Katy, SV, SLC, all have top notch systems...

twcpfan1
01-04-2009, 07:05 PM
True.....most kids will never play in the system that they played in HS again.

With all the success that KHS has had, you would think that some of these coaches would actually want to switch to the pro style that Katy runs. Even TWHS went away from it.

Do coaches not like it because it is harder to teach?

dada
01-04-2009, 07:08 PM
With all the success that KHS has had, you would think that some of these coaches would actually want to switch to the pro style that Katy runs. Even TWHS went away from it.

Do coaches not like it because it is harder to teach?

It's very complicated. Not as flashy, but very hard to contain.

twcpfan1
01-04-2009, 07:14 PM
It's very complicated. Not as flashy, but very hard to contain.

Carson runs the option at College Park and has been running it since the school opened. Personally, I'm happy with it as long as they pass enough to make the other team have to defend against it. They did that in our final game last year and got very good results. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come next year.

rocketgrl94
01-04-2009, 07:14 PM

didnt u forget somebody?
well back in the 90's

svhorns
01-04-2009, 07:16 PM
didnt u forget somebody?
well back in the 90's

you're right... Holmes has a great system...

rocketgrl94
01-04-2009, 07:17 PM
you're right... Holmes has a great system...

haha funny

svhorns
01-04-2009, 07:18 PM
haha funny

yea I forgot Judson :p

Judson mat drills:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyW4_z1OwUw*language warning*

Empire strikes back
01-04-2009, 07:27 PM
I'm going to let this one slide.

ALLENFANDINGO5
01-04-2009, 08:45 PM
If your system is successful, then an outstanding athelete will find away to shine whithin that system. Successful coaches can tweek any system to enhance the strengths of certain players. But you cant risk the success of your program to accommodate one or two players abilities by revamping your whole scheme. College scouts can make the assessment on how good an athelete is by watching him run, catch, block, or pass no matter what system is in place.

ALLENFANDINGO5
01-04-2009, 08:52 PM
There sure are alot of D1 QB's playing from the state of Texas, but I think running back recruits have seen a decline in recent years.

twcpfan1
01-04-2009, 08:56 PM
[/B]
There sure are alot of D1 QB's playing from the state of Texas, but I think running back recruits have seen a decline in recent years.

TE's and FB's too, yeah?

ALLENFANDINGO5
01-04-2009, 09:15 PM
TE's and FB's too, yeah?
Allen runs the spread so I must ask are those defensive positions(JK). The kid from Copperas Cove would be a tightend Id recruit and Nikita Whitlock might be a good FB. Could you imagine being the LB that meets him in the hole on an isolation play?

Mong Hu
01-04-2009, 09:52 PM
A good coach will coach up the system and fit the athlete into that system in a manner that best suits the needs of that system. By revamping an entire system to accommodate or showcase one athlete you are in effect turning the other players in your program into first or second year players. In my experience, as athlete's learn systems and know them they become more comfortable and usually more aggressive. By revamping an entire system to showcase one gifted athlete you are reducing the effectiveness of the other 10 players on the field. Programs that are successful year after year share the common trait of consistency. Programs that are successful year after year do not have better athletes year after year, although it may seem that way to observers and in fact to other coaches, they simply make the most out of the athletes they do have by making them into better football players. Good programs usually have effective off-season programs that turn poor athletes into average athletes, average athletes into good athletes, and good athletes into great athletes. All this being said good programs usually have systems which have a degree of flexibility built into them. A flexible system can adapt to accommodate and exceptional QB, RB, or WR. A system such as Katy's or SLC's has built in the capability of running the ball effectively or throwing the ball effectively. All that a good OC will do is simply call certain plays with in the system or practice certain plays with in the system more than others given the players that you have in a particular year. Most systems run in high-school have been proven at either the college or pro level and have these characteristics built into them. Examples include the Deleware Wing-T, the double wing, pro style offenses (such as Katy's), or the spread offense run by SLC as pioneered by the likes of Utah. There are also base plays with in good systems that will always be run. Katy's toss right and left and boot pass series off of that toss action are such plays. I played for Katy almost twenty years ago and I still recognize those plays when I see them. I even remember the Oline rules. We learned those plays when we were freshmen and ran them every year and ran them often.

DaSho03Champs
01-04-2009, 10:12 PM
since Coach Aymond's arrival in 1994, North Shore has run the same type of offense. we pretty much use the I-formation (one tight end/two receivers set). and everything is based off our power running game. The last two seasons the shotgun was implemented, which includes the zone read package that everyone seems to be running nowadays. but mostly the NS bread-and-butter is still the power I. even with Bobby Reid at QB (02-03), aymond stuck with his system instead of running the spread which IMO would have taken more advantage of Reid's overall skills. as much pub and fanfare Reid received from the fans (which he truly deserves), the true MVP of that state winning team was RB Justin McNeese. NS pretty much had the same squad in 02 and 03, the only difference was McNeese's powerful running style that was missing the year before (McNeese was out all year because of injury).

these kids also learn the system when they are in middle school (North Shore MS and Cunningham MS), so when they reach high school, particularly the varsity level....the offensive system is nothing new to them.

so if i were a coach i would stick a system year in and year out and simply just plug in the players.

SLC93
01-05-2009, 06:43 AM
didnt u forget somebody?
well back in the 90's

Lewisville Fighting Farmers?

SLC93
01-05-2009, 06:51 AM
It's system and it's always been system. Look at any of the elite programs now and through history, at all levels. The thing that typically doesn't change is the coaching staff and it's system. With that in place you're set to win when the talent is up and when the talent is off. The best coaches will always devise a game plan that allows for their best players to be in the best possible positions to make plays. That is the key to harvesting the most out of a truly gifted player. You optimize his talents but not at the expense of the team system. Football is different than the other big sports. You need everyone of your team mates to get the job done. By maximizing the system you better allow for all the complimentary players, the regular kids, to contribute to their full potential. When that happens the gifts of your uber talent are elevated, if for no other reason than the opposition now has to respect an entire unit and work for any success they may have.

Owned05
01-05-2009, 01:03 PM

Look at every single inner city school and you'll get your answers. There's a reason that those teams packed with athletes (Ike, Booker T, Madison, ect.) lose to teams like Katy every year...because, to them, coaching isn't 'THAT' important.

I mean, look at the Florida team Katy beat this year. They were loaded with college-bound kids and we whooped them.

rocketgrl94
01-05-2009, 01:11 PM
yea I forgot Judson :p

Judson mat drills:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyW4_z1OwUw*language warning*

:notworthy i heard they had drills that will kill:D

dada
01-05-2009, 01:11 PM
Look at every single inner city school and you'll get your answers. There's a reason that those teams packed with athletes (Ike, Booker T, Madison, ect.) lose to teams like Katy every year...because, to them, coaching isn't 'THAT' important.

I mean, look at the Florida team Katy beat this year. They were loaded with college-bound kids and we whooped them.

That's what it seems like...it's WIN or else....even in pop warner ball. The fastest player will always be the QB and the biggest kid will always be a NT.....then they go to JR High....and swap positions....and on and on.

crunked9
01-05-2009, 01:34 PM
This is a hard question to answer. You have to know certain things about the school/program.

What is the main job of the head coach? Winning Games, developing players for college. Because those don't always go hand in hand.

I believe that coaches should adjust to fit the players. If you have huge linemen and big backs. You should probably run the ball.

Example of this:

SLC 1998
Coach: Tom Rapp
Standard O: Wish bone, option
QB: Nathan Chandler = not too fast, but boy could he throw!

What O did they run?? Passing! Becasue thats the type of players they had.

Coaches need to adjust their O based on the players. But I also think that you should have a stand O in the entire program.

crunked9
01-05-2009, 01:37 PM
I dont think that everything should change for one player.
But your players as a whole.

crunked9
01-05-2009, 01:39 PM

At SLC they just run whatever route they feel like running. Kind of like back yard football

BlakeJ
01-05-2009, 01:54 PM

After watching the Under Armour game last night, he may change his mind..lol. Kidding of course, but Shep and Gilbert both looked a little off compared to Barkley....that guy is something else.

dada
01-05-2009, 01:56 PM
After watching the Under Armour game last night, he may change his mind..lol. Kidding of course, but Shep and Gilbert both looked a little off compared to Barkley....that guy is something else.

I think Shepard will end up a WR.

15Adragon
01-05-2009, 01:57 PM
I'd throw it to 9 or pitch it to Dane and let KB kick it when I have to. :cool:

BlakeJ
01-05-2009, 01:58 PM
I think Shepard will end up a WR.

Did you watch the game?? He didnt look like a capable QB last night...looked more confused and reluctant than anything else.

dada
01-05-2009, 02:06 PM
Did you watch the game?? He didnt look like a capable QB last night...looked more confused and reluctant than anything else.

It's like he went in thinking "Do not run, you want to show the world that you can be a QB on the next level"...thinking too much. You could tell he WANTED to take off, but he wants to be considered as a legit QB.
Not knocking the kid...he has tremendous talent, you just can't learn to be a pocket passer in few years

smw358
01-05-2009, 03:38 PM

He found out last night that some of those folks could run just as fast as he could. Gonna be hard for him to learn to be a drop back passer. Staying in the "pocket" requires discipline. He has "ansy" feet.

smw358
01-05-2009, 03:40 PM

I believe teams like Katy have a system of running and passing.....what part of that does not fit the "superstar"?

agmc27
01-05-2009, 04:09 PM
If you have a "once every 20 years" type of player, then you center your offense around them.

BlakeJ
01-05-2009, 04:47 PM
If you have a "once every 20 years" type of player, then you center your offense around them.

Not knowing much about Katy football, I would GUESS, that if Coach J was fortunate enough to run into an athlete like Shep he would utilize his abilities at another position before changing his offensive scheme to fit that players abilities. Maybe Im wrong though.

smw358
01-05-2009, 04:59 PM

What do you do when Mr 20 years gets hurt in the middle of the season?

ruffshod
01-05-2009, 05:00 PM

No you don't. He just makes that side of the ball look that much better for that 20th or so year(s). Hopefully turning a good offense/defense into a great one. Which usually elevates hs teammates' games and inspires those that come up after he leaves.

dada
01-05-2009, 05:01 PM
What do you do when Mr 20 years gets hurt in the middle of the season?

Bingo. You change from the spread to the wishbone midseason I guess.

Owned05
01-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Not knowing much about Katy football, I would GUESS, that if Coach J was fortunate enough to run into an athlete like Shep he would utilize his abilities at another position before changing his offensive scheme to fit that players abilities. Maybe Im wrong though.

If Katy had a player like Shep you can bet he'd be a defensive back/kick returner/punt returner.

Believe that.

dada
01-05-2009, 05:21 PM
If Katy had a player like Shep you can bet he'd be a defensive back/kick returner/punt returner.

Believe that.

DB was the first thing I though also.

BlakeJ
01-06-2009, 11:54 AM

Believe that.

Thats not the right answer, you take Shep and run the "Wildcat" formation 90 percent of the time...the other 10 percent you are punting or kicking FG's. :D

E-Vol-ution
01-06-2009, 12:05 PM
Gilbert wasn't all that hot either and we all know what a commodity he is. The kid from California (Barkley) made the best impression. Of course this was a HS all star game where players and coaches were totally unfamiliar with each other (not a good barometer). Ultimately...I do feel Shepard is best suited for a reciever type position. I hope he proves me wrong.

KT2000
01-06-2009, 12:06 PM

Believe that.

A bigger, more athletic Will Thompson. :)

SPTigerfan
01-06-2009, 05:52 PM

You put all your eggs in one basket is taking a risk that he does not go down with an injury...plus gearing your offense towards one player is limiting. Today's defenses are very good and most d coordinators will crush the o with adjustments in the second half...

Stony Point was able to do just that 2 seasons ago when Leander had a total Gideon run offense...He was and is a great athlete but was not able to get past our defense...

querstions
01-07-2009, 10:13 AM

you have a system. but it needs to be a flexible system. the year we won state our original qb was a thrower, we were going to be a prodominantly throwing team. he tore his acl in spring fb, so we moved cole to qb and became a run first team.

this year we started a 14 year old soph at qb and had a very good rb. we were a run first team with some passing game. as he matured we threw the ball more and ended the season 70% run, 30% pass. next year we will throw a little more, but have the rb back so we will run the ball. 2 years from now when he is a senior, our rb is gone and we arn't as big up fron we will throw more than we run.

its not about showcasing any one player. its about putting the kids you have in the best possible situations to give your team the best chance to win.

mustang4ever
01-08-2009, 06:24 AM
I am a coach and I find alot of your comments very interesting. I've been coaching for 15 years. Haven't been a Head Coach yet, but I've developed my own philosophies. I believe that as a coach you bring in the system YOU believe in and run it. If you stay in the same place long enough your going to have to adjust your system some to better fit your players. But, you don't change the overall philosophy. In order to do this you have to start developing players early, in Jr. High. I've seeen many coaches through the years ignore their Jr. Highs and I find that so sad. That's their future and they don't pay attention to them until they get into high school. By then only the exceptional ones will be able to contribute and the rest will be left behind. That's not good.
I feel, if you have a system you believe in then you and your staff have to develop your players to fit that system. It's alot of hard work but it pays off in the long run.

BTW, GOOD coaches are concerned about developing kids for their program and helping turn them into quality young men. Not, developing them for the next level. Most high school kids will not play another down of football once they graduate from high school.

ALLENFANDINGO5
01-08-2009, 04:09 PM
I am a coach and I find alot of your comments very interesting. I've been coaching for 15 years. Haven't been a Head Coach yet, but I've developed my own philosophies. I believe that as a coach you bring in the system YOU believe in and run it. If you stay in the same place long enough your going to have to adjust your system some to better fit your players. But, you don't change the overall philosophy. In order to do this you have to start developing players early, in Jr. High. I've seeen many coaches through the years ignore their Jr. Highs and I find that so sad. That's their future and they don't pay attention to them until they get into high school. By then only the exceptional ones will be able to contribute and the rest will be left behind. That's not good.
I feel, if you have a system you believe in then you and your staff have to develop your players to fit that system. It's alot of hard work but it pays off in the long run.

BTW, GOOD coaches are concerned about developing kids for their program and helping turn them into quality young men. Not, developing them for the next level. Most high school kids will not play another down of football once they graduate from high school.
Well said, kids who are good enough for the next level and arent quality young men will discourage recruiters about your program also. Their talent isnt always enough to get that scholarship, good grades, community involvement, and other extra curricular activities also account for some consideration.

4rings
01-10-2009, 05:57 AM
You copy the great Don Shula's philosophy...with John Unitas you throw...with Csonka and Morris you run...with Dan Marino you throw...bottom line...win. You play to your strengths...

Mong Hu
01-12-2009, 07:28 PM

I have been wondering how many other coaches prowl this board. Good thoughts Mustang. I coach in an area that does not have junior high football at all and you can really tell that we are at a disadvantage when we play against other programs that do have it. If you can get a junior high preferably or at least a youth program that will complement what you are trying to teach then you will develop your athletes more effectively. Again it is not about changing the system to fit the athletes but fitting the athletes into the system.

Magellan
01-14-2009, 02:04 PM
If I were a coach, I'd gear my offense to what will make my team win and lead to my players being noticed for scholarships. Putting aside a talent like VY who was a "generational" talent in HS football.
If you're an option team, you don't abandon the option just because you have a D-I talent at QB. But, I feel a coach does have an obligation to throw in some wrinkles that help his players show off the skills the scouts want to see. If I have a guy with a huge arm, I'm not going to forsake his potential just to run a particular offense.

mustang4ever
01-14-2009, 07:34 PM
If I were a coach, I'd gear my offense to what will make my team win and lead to my players being noticed for scholarships. Putting aside a talent like VY who was a "generational" talent in HS football.
If you're an option team, you don't abandon the option just because you have a D-I talent at QB. But, I feel a coach does have an obligation to throw in some wrinkles that help his players show off the skills the scouts want to see. If I have a guy with a huge arm, I'm not going to forsake his potential just to run a particular offense.

NO, we don't have an obligation to throw in a few wrinkles here and there to show off the skills of one or two individuals. This is a TEAM sport. As a coach you do what is best for the TEAM, not certain individuals. Bret Farve's dad was an option guy. Guess what kind of offense Farve ran in high school? He ran the option. If you have kids with D1 talent they will be found no matter what scheme you run. When you start making changes for one or two individuals that's when your program starts to go down hill.

Mong Hu
01-14-2009, 08:18 PM
NO, we don't have an obligation to throw in a few wrinkles here and there to show off the skills of one or two individuals. This is a TEAM sport. As a coach you do what is best for the TEAM, not certain individuals. Bret Farve's dad was an option guy. Guess what kind of offense Farve ran in high school? He ran the option. If you have kids with D1 talent they will be found no matter what scheme you run. When you start making changes for one or two individuals that's when your program starts to go down hill.

I would in fact argue that by changing the system you are hurting the players ability to be noticed. By reducing the effectiveness of those around them by changing systems you further inhibit your best players ability to shine. If you develop a team then an opponent can not focus on one or two players. They must account for all 11 which means that that stud gets to destroy the one guy who is unlucky enough to have to tackle or block him. We had an excellent DT this year in our program but our other D linemen were not quite of the same caliber. Teams would double and sometimes triple team or stud and leave others unaccounted for. At the end of the season we as coaches were talking and some coaches wondered why our D-lineman who was so talented didn't have more sacks and tackles. I spoke up and explained that teams could focus on him and we didn't develop others effectively enough to take advantage of him commanding a double team every play and sometimes a triple team. Obviously we have some issues to work on.

ALLENFANDINGO5
01-14-2009, 11:59 PM
Coaches jobs are in the hands of 15-18 year old kids. They develop systems that dwell on the performance of all their kids. You put all your eggs in one basket and the next thing you know that kid goes down to injury, where are you at now. Your system is being put in place in middle school and built on every year thereafter so that when they reach varsity the level of understanding is second nature.