PDA

View Full Version : Next KISD High School

agmc27
01-01-2009, 10:52 PM
...is rumored to possibly be named Katy South High School. I don't like it.

TigerAlum02
01-01-2009, 11:20 PM
Really?? That is a terrible name... and why does the board think we should put "Katy" behind everything?? Katy Taylor, Katy Cinco Ranch.... those of us from the real Katy just say Taylor or Cinco Ranch.

chunky79
01-02-2009, 01:44 AM
Grand Lakes High School would be 10 x's better

cyfallsbooster2
01-02-2009, 08:24 AM
Really?? That is a terrible name... and why does the board think we should put "Katy" behind everything?? Katy Taylor, Katy Cinco Ranch.... those of us from the real Katy just say Taylor or Cinco Ranch.

Because Katy is trying to be like all the CY schools!:p:D

BlakeJ
01-02-2009, 08:46 AM
Because Katy is trying to be like all the CY schools!:p:D

Sheesh....I hope not....I wont have anything to do next December. :D:p

Just Kidding.

Does anyone know where I can find an outiline of the Katy High School zones??

twcpfan1
01-02-2009, 08:53 AM
Why don't they just build a senior high campus and extend Katy High School?

KT2000
01-02-2009, 09:05 AM

It seems as though KISD wants every school between 2,000 and 3,000 enrollment. Every school that's climbed over 3,000 has been knocked down a peg.

Katy's enrollment peaked over 3,000 in 2004 until Morton Ranch came online. The same was true for Cinco until Seven Lakes opened. Morton Ranch is the biggest school in KISD currently. Seven Lakes is the second largest.

Katy Fan, here is the link to the information you are after:

http://www.katyisd.org/campuses/default.htm

Enrollment projections:

http://www.katyisd.org/files/community/Student_Projections.pdf

RedRage00
01-02-2009, 09:23 AM

Because I think it helps people know where the schools are located. I don't see why not since they are all in the KISD.

BlakeJ
01-02-2009, 09:25 AM
So what High School would Katy South take a chunk out of??

Thanks for the map KT.

elkfbfan
01-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Exactly how big is the city of Katy, population wise? The ISD must be huge to have 7 or 8 5a high schools. Same with Cypress. Suburban sprawl, I guess. We see that in DFW area also- towns that had 10,000 people 20 years ago, now have 50,000 and an ISD that extends far beyond that. Land that was an empty field or a few farms is now a densely packed housing development.

TigerAlum02
01-02-2009, 09:52 AM
It is crazy how big KISD has gotten... when I was growing up it was just Katy, Mayde Creek and Taylor. Cinco came in while I was in High School, though. I laugh because I can honestly look at most of the Katy area and say, "I remember when this was all fields..." like an old man standing on his porch lol. I'm only 25, so it has changed pretty rapidly over the years.

KT2000
01-02-2009, 09:53 AM
So what High School would Katy South take a chunk out of??

Thanks for the map KT.

It'll take a little from Katy, but it'll mostly curb Seven Lakes.

cyfallsbooster2
01-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Exactly how big is the city of Katy, population wise? The ISD must be huge to have 7 or 8 5a high schools. Same with Cypress. Suburban sprawl, I guess. We see that in DFW area also- towns that had 10,000 people 20 years ago, now have 50,000 and an ISD that extends far beyond that. Land that was an empty field or a few farms is now a densely packed housing development.

Its sprawling alright! Mainly to the NW (CFISD), W (KISD) and SW (FBISD). Heck, the State just completed an overhaul of I-10 for the Katy residents.:p It now has something like 26 lanes (counting in/out-bound, access roads and HOV's). Lucky people.:mad: Wish the State would do that for us Cy-people.

BlakeJ
01-02-2009, 09:56 AM
It'll take a little from Katy, but it'll mostly curb Seven Lakes.

So there will be a re-zone from the map you pointed me to?? When will that happen?? Only reason I ask is because we're looking to buy in June and want to stay in the right zone. Not buy and find out in a year or two that our kids will be going to a different school than we anticipated.

cyfallsbooster2
01-02-2009, 09:58 AM
It is crazy how big KISD has gotten... when I was growing up it was just Katy, Mayde Creek and Taylor. Cinco came in while I was in High School, though. I laugh because I can honestly look at most of the Katy area and say, "I remember when this was all fields..." like an old man standing on his porch lol. I'm only 25, so it has changed pretty rapidly over the years.

HEY! I resemble that remark! I can remember growing up (high school @ Klein) and no one even heard of Katy!:eek: And it WAS just all fields! Rice! Those fields made for some wealthy people out there!;)

Fleeman93
01-02-2009, 09:58 AM
Its sprawling alright! Mainly to the NW (CFISD), W (KISD) and SW (FBISD). Heck, the State just completed an overhaul of I-10 for the Katy residents.:p It now has something like 26 lanes (counting in/out-bound, access roads and HOV's). Lucky people.:mad: Wish the State would do that for us Cy-people.

Win a championship or two, have at least one consistent top tier team, and then it might just happen.

:eek:
:D

KT2000
01-02-2009, 09:59 AM

Katy proper (where KHS is located) is under 20,000, but the "greater Katy area" is estimated over 150,000.

cyfallsbooster2
01-02-2009, 09:59 AM
So there will be a re-zone from the map you pointed me to?? When will that happen?? Only reason I ask is because we're looking to buy in June and want to stay in the right zone. Not buy and find out in a year or two that our kids will be going to a different school than we anticipated.

Evidence of a MOVE-IN!:eek:

KT2000
01-02-2009, 10:02 AM

I don't know if there is a map yet, but you might find one on the KISD web site above. I believe it is projected to come online in 2012, but I could be wrong on that. It should be in the next bond vote.

The areas in question for Katy HS vs. the new school would be the neighborhoods down 1463 like Firethorne/Woodcreek. Firethorne will be closer to KHS than the new school, but it'll depend on the zoning. Grayson Lakes is another border neighborhood which is currently aligned to Seven Lakes, but was previously KHS.

Champ drove me over to see the Cross Creek development in Fulshear the other day, and that is impressive. That'll be a monster.

BlakeJ
01-02-2009, 10:04 AM
Evidence of a MOVE-IN!:eek:

Yeah....Im projecting my 2 yr old daughter as the Tigers starting MLB in 14 years. My 7 yr old daughter on the other hand is a girly girl with a good leg. She'll have to settle for kicker. ;)

agmc27
01-02-2009, 10:13 AM
they should name it "K-T Railroad High School":D

dada
01-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Yeah....Im projecting my 2 yr old daughter as the Tigers starting MLB in 14 years. My 7 yr old daughter on the other hand is a girly girl with a good leg. She'll have to settle for kicker. ;)

LOL..I was about to say the same thing.....gotta make sure those girls are future tigers!

BlakeJ
01-02-2009, 10:27 AM
LOL..I was about to say the same thing.....gotta make sure those girls are future tigers!

Im trying....they just dont look good in Blue. :D

JKS
01-02-2009, 05:36 PM
Sheesh....I hope not....I wont have anything to do next December. :D:p

Just Kidding.

Does anyone know where I can find an outiline of the Katy High School zones??

Don't the lines get redrawn every year or so once Coach Joseph has had an opportunity to evaluate talent? ;)

Kt`86
01-02-2009, 06:13 PM
Could just buy in the city limits. Should be safe from re-zoning. Besides, if KISD were to try and re-zone part of downtown Katy from Katy HS, the city fathers (mothers probably would be worse) and longtime Katy families would raise a huge ruckus.

Further, what would that do to the water tower? :eek::D

The Wet Mustard
01-02-2009, 06:14 PM
if you are worried about pulling from khs, in 2014 they are planning a hs off of kty hockley and clay which would pull khs kids alot

Kt`86
01-02-2009, 06:19 PM
if you are worried about pulling from khs, in 2014 they are planning a hs off of kty hockley and clay which would pull khs kids alot

Well.................that just shot a hole in my theory. Dang :mad:

Tigerjag
01-02-2009, 08:32 PM

The School board doesn't do that! It's the media and the UIL that tack it on, not the board. In fact, I don't think they ever refer to any school with the Katy stuck on first. They know where they are, the media and UIL doesn't.

On the other hand, the board doesn't like to strain themselves thinking of names. Hopefully, we can protest enough that it won't be Katy South or something too stupid. I still like Katy Lake Creek Ranch. Or Lake Katy Creek Ranch. Or some combination. :D

ktCarl
01-03-2009, 09:24 AM

Too late!!! That's what Katy High School is named after.

agmc27
01-03-2009, 05:39 PM
Too late!!! That's what Katy High School is named after.
yep

RedRage00
01-03-2009, 05:40 PM
I don't like the name Katy South.

Katyexrb29
01-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Could just buy in the city limits. Should be safe from re-zoning. Besides, if KISD were to try and re-zone part of downtown Katy from Katy HS, the city fathers (mothers probably would be worse) and longtime Katy families would raise a huge ruckus.

Further, what would that do to the water tower? :eek::D

amen

Katyexrb29
01-03-2009, 08:51 PM

thought it was a junior high grandparents live right there.

rwilleby
01-04-2009, 03:37 AM
Name it what they like... I'm still only supporting one school... The original...

The Wet Mustard
01-04-2009, 09:42 AM
thought it was a junior high grandparents live right there.

It will be both a junior high and a highschool like 2 building, similar to what Morton ranch is

Cody
01-04-2009, 11:07 AM
Katy proper (where KHS is located) is under 20,000, but the "greater Katy area" is estimated over 150,000.

The Katy City Limit sign says 14,500. Everything outside of those limits, with the exception of a tiny area north of town, is in the Houston ETJ, which means that eventually they will be inside the Houston City Limits, while still attending Katy ISD schools.

The next high school and stadium is planned for the corner of Spring Green Road and Katy Gaston Road. Wouldn't be surprised to see a new bus barn at that location as well. All dependent on if the next bond election is passed, which is a mighty big "if".

oldtig
01-04-2009, 01:54 PM
A lot of KISD falls into other city limit boundaries. Everything east of Fry north of I-10 has a Houston mailing address. Parts of Taylor high school attendance are near Memorial. So to estimate "Katy" population is hard. The number of people with a Katy mailing address doesn't reflect accurately the attendance zone. The 2000 census reported just under 12000 for Katy city limits. That number has been fairly consistent with minimal gradual increases over the past two decades. The boom has been northeast and southern sections. No one, however, can agree on the true population of the "Katy area."

As for the name of the high school. The timing of the bond has been up in the air several times. Unless a developer (i.e. Woodcreek, Seven Lakes) has rights to a school name- there will not be a name for the school for some time. Most likely until it's underway it will still be called HS #7

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katy,_Texas

http://www.katytexas.com/katydemographics.cfm

mojotrain
01-04-2009, 03:03 PM

Not a bad idea. I don't think south would work. Someday it may be in the middle instead of south if the town grows. I think the name of some famous person should be considered. I know after the first Bush was elected several high schools were named after him. In Odessa all the junior highs were named after those who fought at the Alamo. Perhaps it should be named after the President elect, Katy Obama High School.

rwilleby
01-04-2009, 06:06 PM
Not a bad idea. I don't think south would work. Someday it may be in the middle instead of south if the town grows. I think the name of some famous person should be considered. I know after the first Bush was elected several high schools were named after him. In Odessa all the junior highs were named after those who fought at the Alamo. Perhaps it should be named after the President elect, Katy Obama High School.

Right... Maybe they should pick a name of someone who has actually DONE something... Don't think that would go over very well...

svrangerfan
01-04-2009, 08:11 PM
Why not Seven Morton Cinco Taylor Lakes Ranch High School.

Kt`86
01-05-2009, 12:06 AM

You left out "Katy" ;):D

Should put that up front at the beginning.......that'll fire 'em up around here. :D

Bass
01-05-2009, 01:30 AM

Like Tom Landry Middle School from "King of the Hill". The only celebrity choices we'd have in Katy would be Renee Zellweger and Clint Black. I like the sound of Clint Black Senior High... :Music

mojotrain
01-05-2009, 10:04 AM
Right... Maybe they should pick a name of someone who has actually DONE something... Don't think that would go over very well...

OK then, how about the Katy Carter Peanuts? Carter did something.

rwilleby
01-05-2009, 10:56 AM
OK then, how about the Katy Carter Peanuts? Carter did something.

How about Ronald Reagan Senior High... Now he did something...

mojotrain
01-05-2009, 12:28 PM
How about Ronald Reagan Senior High... Now he did something...

Reagan would be good. I'm just pushing your foot a little.:)

Tigerjag
01-05-2009, 06:05 PM

I already suggested Katy Lake Creek Ranch. Or Lake Katy Creek Ranch. We've been kicking that one around for years. I'm thinking of actually submitting it to the board. To include taylor, maybe we should stick Edgar in there somewhere. Lake Edgar Katy Creek Ranch. :D

katybacker2
01-05-2009, 06:24 PM
How about putting the construction on hold like most of the big projects are doing who do business for a profit. You could move in some temporary buildings, figure out how to divide the district so that each school gets approximately 500 more students and you end up saving the taxpayers many millions of dollars. When the economy begins to turn around then see if we really need that new school. I really don't think our kids are going to get any less of an education if we have 3200-3500 kids instead of 3000. Funny how easy it is to spend other peoples money (opm).

cyfallsbooster2
01-05-2009, 09:56 PM
How about putting the construction on hold like most of the big projects are doing who do business for a profit. You could move in some temporary buildings, figure out how to divide the district so that each school gets approximately 500 more students and you end up saving the taxpayers many millions of dollars. When the economy begins to turn around then see if we really need that new school. I really don't think our kids are going to get any less of an education if we have 3200-3500 kids instead of 3000. Funny how easy it is to spend other peoples money (opm).

Now see.......this is why Katy has only one outdated, undersized stadium. The tax payers are short sighted.

Fact 1) As student/teacher ratios increase, instruction decreases.

Fact 2) Construction costs are dropping drastically as projects are cancelled. Now is the time to spend construction dollars.

Fact 3) Houston's economy is not going to drop off much with this "recession".

Fact 4) Katy will continue to get the talent move-ins.:D

Vote FOR your tax increase and get some legitmate facilities and maintain the education of your youth.

cyfallsbooster2
01-05-2009, 10:00 PM
Also, the "for profit" projects are being delayed right now due to the loan industry mess. Those who do not need loans (school districts) and other investors who do not need loans are building because of the drop in construction costs.

KatyTigerDad0407
01-05-2009, 10:24 PM
You heard it here first.

Cane Island High School

http://www.katytexas.com/katyhistory.cfm

Bass
01-05-2009, 11:00 PM
You heard it here first.

Cane Island High School

Man... that would suck! :D

TigerAlum02
01-05-2009, 11:09 PM
Man... that would suck! :D

Why?? I like it! The Cane Island Hurricanes... sounds good to me!!

caveman
01-05-2009, 11:40 PM
You heard it here first.

Cane Island High School

Katy Cane Island High
Sounds like it should be in a script in a movie.

Bass
01-05-2009, 11:41 PM
Why?? I like it! The Cane Island Hurricanes... sounds good to me!!

Just like North Shore is nowhere near a beach... There's no island in Katy.

Kt`86
01-06-2009, 06:39 AM

I get it..........like the lakes of Seven Lakes? ;):D:D

katybacker2
01-06-2009, 08:03 AM
Now see.......this is why Katy has only one outdated, undersized stadium. The tax payers are short sighted.

Fact 1) As student/teacher ratios increase, instruction decreases.

Fact 2) Construction costs are dropping drastically as projects are cancelled. Now is the time to spend construction dollars.

Fact 3) Houston's economy is not going to drop off much with this "recession".

Fact 4) Katy will continue to get the talent move-ins.:D

Vote FOR your tax increase and get some legitmate facilities and maintain the education of your youth.
1. It is cheaper to hire a few more teachers than to build a new HS

2. Not enough to offset what it takes to build a HS

3. We have not even begun to see the bottom of the recession

4. You are right about move-ins.

Never, ever vote for tax increases. Make the guys learn how to use our money properly. Surely you were not serious about voting for tax increases. I am all about education but again, 500 more students per school will have nothing to do with whether or not a student gets a good education. We all know what is wrong with our education system and it is not student/teacher ratio.

TigerAlum02
01-06-2009, 08:22 AM

I know that you do Katy Bass, but for those who don't know... Cane Island was the original name of what is now Katy. I think it would be great to name the high school after that! But, you are correct.... there are no islands anywhere :)

Ramz
01-06-2009, 08:49 AM
I know that you do Katy Bass, but for those who don't know... Cane Island was the original name of what is now Katy. I think it would be great to name the high school after that! But, you are correct.... there are no islands anywhere :)

http://www.caneisland.com/caneisland.htm

85Roughneck
01-06-2009, 09:01 AM

Having grown up near the coast in Southern Brazoria county I have to relay something to this conversation. There may not be islands in or near Katy ... this is true today ... but, there have been many large hurricanes that hit the Gulf Coast in yesteryear. 70 to 80 years ago the landscape was much different than it is today in the Katy area. Much of the natural drainage has been drastically changed/improved. Before, when a Cat 4 or Cat 5 storm hit the rains and/or storm surge could engulf an area and create terrible flooding. From the floods you would, in fact, see islands appear in an area like Cane Island (Katy of old). In 1991, there was a series of rain storms that came through the area where I grew up. The weathermen on TV called it a "100 year flood". Islands appeared in many places, but the ones I remember most were in Bar X ranch. Many deer and cows drowned due to the flood waters and the deer and cows that could make it herded up on these islands to survive. The waters didn't recede for weeks even though there were two rivers straddling the area.

I have some friends that own and operate a ranch near Columbia Lakes near Angleton and West Columbia that has been in their family for over 100 years I believe. The old name was "Battle Island" ranch. Now it's called Phillips Ranch. I wonder why it was called such a strange name back in the day.

I know this is a lot of useless info for many, but it is food for thought. There are islands everywhere ... it just takes a good rain to make them appear. ;)

JF13M-KOHS
01-06-2009, 09:03 AM
Klein does the exact same thing haha.
Klein Oak,Klein Forest,Klein Collins, Klein...

stupid districts haha

Magellan
01-06-2009, 11:34 AM
A couple of quick hits:
(1) I've never heard CR called "Katy Cinco Ranch". The only one that is Katy _____ is Taylor that was just from it being NOT a new development, but just growth of the area. But naming it after the development is good enough for me.
(2) Regarding the comment of "win a championship", I hope you were just being funny... CFISD has more championships across the board than KISD does.
(3) Oh yeah, CFISD has not "7 or 8" schools... I think their last bond was approving HS's 11 & 12. They're the 3rd biggest ISD in Texas (behind Houston and Dallas), and larger than Austin and the various SA districts.
(4) If you don't want to get re-zoned, you'll need to move within a quarter-mile of a school or out to the far corner of the district. It's just the facts of growth- you'll get re-zoned within 5 years if you don't live insanely close to a particular school.

caveman
01-06-2009, 10:06 PM
Having grown up near the coast in Southern Brazoria county I have to relay something to this conversation. There may not be islands in or near Katy ... this is true today ... but, there have been many large hurricanes that hit the Gulf Coast in yesteryear. 70 to 80 years ago the landscape was much different than it is today in the Katy area. Much of the natural drainage has been drastically changed/improved. Before, when a Cat 4 or Cat 5 storm hit the rains and/or storm surge could engulf an area and create terrible flooding. From the floods you would, in fact, see islands appear in an area like Cane Island (Katy of old). In 1991, there was a series of rain storms that came through the area where I grew up. The weathermen on TV called it a "100 year flood". Islands appeared in many places, but the ones I remember most were in Bar X ranch. Many deer and cows drowned due to the flood waters and the deer and cows that could make it herded up on these islands to survive. The waters didn't recede for weeks even though there were two rivers straddling the area.

I have some friends that own and operate a ranch near Columbia Lakes near Angleton and West Columbia that has been in their family for over 100 years I believe. The old name was "Battle Island" ranch. Now it's called Phillips Ranch. I wonder why it was called such a strange name back in the day.

I know this is a lot of useless info for many, but it is food for thought. There are islands everywhere ... it just takes a good rain to make them appear. ;)
No...that's good stuff.
Thanks for passing on some of "back in the day."

caveman
01-06-2009, 10:10 PM
A couple of quick hits:
(1) I've never heard CR called "Katy Cinco Ranch". The only one that is Katy _____ is Taylor that was just from it being NOT a new development, but just growth of the area. But naming it after the development is good enough for me.
(2) Regarding the comment of "win a championship", I hope you were just being funny... CFISD has more championships across the board than KISD does.
(3) Oh yeah, CFISD has not "7 or 8" schools... I think their last bond was approving HS's 11 & 12. They're the 3rd biggest ISD in Texas (behind Houston and Dallas), and larger than Austin and the various SA districts.
(4) If you don't want to get re-zoned, you'll need to move within a quarter-mile of a school or out to the far corner of the district. It's just the facts of growth- you'll get re-zoned within 5 years if you don't live insanely close to a particular school.
I have wondered if some of that is self imposed.
Kind of like "First Colony" vs. Sugarland First Colony or Ft. Bend First Colony.

Tigerjag
01-07-2009, 02:09 PM
A couple of quick hits:
(1) I've never heard CR called "Katy Cinco Ranch". The only one that is Katy _____ is Taylor that was just from it being NOT a new development, but just growth of the area.

The UIL and the media call them that. During the playoffs, every story I heard or saw referred to them as Katy Cinco ranch. The UIL has everyones location stuck in front of their name in the brackets, (http://www.uil.utexas.edu/athletics/brackets/football/5A_bracket/5A_division1.html) instead of their school district. That's why Smithson valley becomes Spring Branch Smithson Valley during the playoffs, and Memorial in the Spring Branch ISD, becomes Houston Memorial.

When our district alignment included two schools named "taylor", everyone said Katy taylor and Alief taylor. Or bluetaylor and redtaylor. :D

Katy ISD doesn't tack on "Katy" to the official names of their schools, like Cy and Klein. Most folks outside those districts just refer to those schools as "one of those cy schools" or "one of the kleins."

Roughneck, I've got ancestors buried in a place called Taylor Island. It's somewhere near North Zulch. The creek that used to run through there would come up and make an island. The creek has naturally moved away from there since the 1800's, so it hasn't been an island in a very long time.

twhfan#1
01-07-2009, 03:16 PM
With exception ( in Houston Area ) of CY-FAIR & KLEIN ISD's --its just the media & UIL that attach the name of either the ISD or City to a high school

not many people outside of the area know it -- but the OFFICIAL name of College Park is -- THE WOODLANDS COLLEGE PARK --- so when they make playoffs -- they are referred to as CONROE THE WOODLANDS COLLEGE PARK --- so when the teams are introduced -- half the game is already over before CP takes the field ( LOL )

seriously it was named TWCP to satisfy some people in The Woodlands that were afraid that their property values would be affected if THE WOODLANDS was not attached to the name

Point is -- unless an ISD has a policy of the mundane " SOUTH " . " NORTH " , etc attached to the name of the original high school --it is all politics --that is the way it is & it is not going to change

BlakeJ
01-07-2009, 03:53 PM
I know this is off topic, but we've been looking for a church since moving here. Has anyone in Katy heard of the Powerhouse Christian Center, or have any recommendations?? Thanks in advance.

Tigerjag
01-07-2009, 10:09 PM
not many people outside of the area know it -- but the OFFICIAL name of College Park is -- THE WOODLANDS COLLEGE PARK --- so when they make playoffs -- they are referred to as CONROE THE WOODLANDS COLLEGE PARK --- so when the teams are introduced -- half the game is already over before CP takes the field ( LOL )

:laugh :laugh

There are still people that wonder why it's TWHS instead of WHS. :rolleyes:

Owned05
01-07-2009, 10:16 PM
I know this is off topic, but we've been looking for a church since moving here. Has anyone in Katy heard of the Powerhouse Christian Center, or have any recommendations?? Thanks in advance.

Powerhouse is more of a cult then a church.

Katyexrb29
01-08-2009, 02:17 PM
Powerhouse is more of a cult then a church.

Didn't have the guts to say that:notworthy

Katy Fan try First Baptist Katy or Second Baptist Houston. Both great!!

baseballer08
01-08-2009, 02:44 PM
Didn't have the guts to say that:notworthy

Katy Fan try First Baptist Katy or Second Baptist Houston. Both great!!

Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiingsland Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaptist!!

katyfan52
01-10-2009, 09:39 PM

What I've heard is that Cane Island came from Cane Island Creek which was a branch of Buffalo Bayou that ran through the area. :)

katyfan52
01-10-2009, 09:44 PM
A couple of quick hits:
The reason Katy Taylor was called that was because for many years we were in a district with Alief Taylor High School and it was to differentiate between the two schools. And I have seen "Katy Cinco Ranch" on occasion.

katyfan52
01-10-2009, 09:46 PM
The UIL and the media call them that. During the playoffs, every story I heard or saw referred to them as Katy Cinco ranch. The UIL has everyones location stuck in front of their name in the brackets, (http://www.uil.utexas.edu/athletics/brackets/football/5A_bracket/5A_division1.html) instead of their school district. That's why Smithson valley becomes Spring Branch Smithson Valley during the playoffs, and Memorial in the Spring Branch ISD, becomes Houston Memorial.

When our district alignment included two schools named "taylor", everyone said Katy taylor and Alief taylor. Or bluetaylor and redtaylor. :D

Katy ISD doesn't tack on "Katy" to the official names of their schools, like Cy and Klein. Most folks outside those districts just refer to those schools as "one of those cy schools" or "one of the kleins."

Roughneck, I've got ancestors buried in a place called Taylor Island. It's somewhere near North Zulch. The creek that used to run through there would come up and make an island. The creek has naturally moved away from there since the 1800's, so it hasn't been an island in a very long time.
Once again, you beat me to it. :D

ruffshod
01-11-2009, 10:49 AM

The name derives from being north of the ship channel.

Cody
01-11-2009, 11:21 AM

Sent you a PM

Coog97
01-11-2009, 12:33 PM
The reason Katy Taylor was called that was because for many years we were in a district with Alief Taylor High School and it was to differentiate between the two schools. And I have seen "Katy Cinco Ranch" on occasion.

I was at Katy long before Alief Taylor came along... and even back then, James Taylor HS was always referred to as "Katy Taylor" (not by us, of course, but by the media). I always assumed it was because of the fact that the Austin suburb of Taylor has a HS named after the town.

CoveMom
01-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Everytime I see this thread, I'm like...WHAT? Is Killeen (KISD) getting another high school????? :D

BuckeyeDave
01-12-2009, 10:36 AM
Aside from seeing the UIL do it, I never hear anyone say "Katy Cinco Ranch" or "Katy Morton Ranch"... that would sound dumb to say it like that. But I do always hear "Katy Taylor" because there is Alief Taylor and it gets a little confusing unless you already know what that particular person is talking about.

I went to a Cy school... we all just said, Fair, Falls, Creek, JV, Woods, Springs, Langham, Ridge, etc etc.

Exactly. Beyond Houston the media has to refer to the Katy schools that way or no one knows where they are. Here in Houston, of course, everyone knows. I always laugh when people from Katy Taylor get so P.O.'d when their school is called that! It seems like everyone knows why except for those actually affiliated with Taylor.
If your new high school is named after President Reagan, get ready for that situation all over again. People will call it Katy Reagan and the people from Katy Reagan will hate it! :)

KatyTigerDad0407
01-12-2009, 11:50 PM
Exactly. Beyond Houston the media has to refer to the Katy schools that way or no one knows where they are. Here in Houston, of course, everyone knows. I always laugh when people from Katy Taylor get so P.O.'d when their school is called that! It seems like everyone knows why except for those actually affiliated with Taylor.
If your new high school is named after President Reagan, get ready for that situation all over again. People will call it Katy Reagan and the people from Katy Reagan will hate it! :)We'll just compromise and call it Nancy:D

4rings
01-13-2009, 12:06 AM
We'll just compromise and call it Nancy:D

it's another girl's name...why not call it nancy?:rolleyes:

BuckeyeDave
01-13-2009, 10:43 AM
We'll just compromise and call it Nancy:D

:) I didn't think of that.

North Shore Mustang
01-13-2009, 12:28 PM

This is exactly was NS did, and will continue to do. They will never split NSHS.

I really hate when HS's split up. Seems good now, but long into the future they'll probably be little 2A or 1A schools, instead of a nice 5A school.

I am so glad GPISD and NS do not freak out and put another HS building up. What they have been doing is building more elementary schools, but we do need those.

These districts seem to have the "smaller is better" philosophy. Not a bad thing, but they are just thinking TAKS TAKS TAKS; while that's not a bad thing either, they don't realize that they're killing quality programs within these schools (i.e. football, band, dance, etc.). Everything just becomes smaller, weaker, and mediocre.

THSBandDad
01-14-2009, 12:39 PM
Just like it is with Trinity High School which gets called Euless Trinity in the media and on this board. I always prefer to see THS than ET any day.

And like the Killeen guy, every time I see this thread I think Keller ISD. :D I think they're building a new HS over there, too.

ftballin11
01-14-2009, 09:18 PM
This is exactly was NS did, and will continue to do. They will never split NSHS.

I really hate when HS's split up. Seems good now, but long into the future they'll probably be little 2A or 1A schools, instead of a nice 5A school.

I am so glad GPISD and NS do not freak out and put another HS building up. What they have been doing is building more elementary schools, but we do need those.

These districts seem to have the "smaller is better" philosophy. Not a bad thing, but they are just thinking TAKS TAKS TAKS; while that's not a bad thing either, they don't realize that they're killing quality programs within these schools (i.e. football, band, dance, etc.). Everything just becomes smaller, weaker, and mediocre.

Could you imagine what it would be like if Katy and Cinco were still together. How many more athletes band memebers and fans that would be. Right now katy is at 2500, imagine if they had 4500, like woodz.