PDA

View Full Version : Football dictionairy

stevefoxsc
12-02-2005, 01:41 PM
now when i first joined in 03 (when temple was good) i will openly admit i didn't know diddly squat about football and i feel now i fianlly know what 4th n 3rd means!

For all you guru's out there help a noob out and post a discription of situation's play's n stuff like that ill start it off

A huddle: is when the team gathers together to discuss a play

:p

BAMF cowboy
12-02-2005, 01:49 PM
if people know nothing about football would they really be posting on a football message board? unless it was all smack talk of course

stevefoxsc
12-02-2005, 01:55 PM
if people know nothing about football would they really be posting on a football message board? unless it was all smack talk of course
im just saying lot's of people come on here just cause they may wana see rankings n stuff not every one is gona be a poster but some people do check forums

lonny23
12-02-2005, 05:37 PM
I see quite a few poeple on here that don't know a lot about football. It's not so much about X's and O's, but the quality of play around the state, respecting opponents, etc.

lonny23
12-02-2005, 05:41 PM
8 or 9 men in the box. This is when the defense is loading up to stop the run. They take the lineman, linebackers, and 1 or 2 safeties and have them all line up between the offensive tackles. The 2 cornerbacks are the only people to play pass coverage. That's an effective defense in short-yardage situations or if you're playing a team that always runs the ball.

Redneckn
12-02-2005, 06:12 PM
All those folks from Lostview must not have known too much about the game or they would have known early on they weren't gonna go far in the playoffs.
:D HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:D

mad_fan
12-02-2005, 06:40 PM
A huddle: is when the team gathers together to discuss a play

:p

My wife always thinks they said cuddle.:mad:

Big Daddy Cool
12-02-2005, 07:30 PM
Blitz = A defensive strategy in which a linebacker or defensive back vacates his normal responsibilities in order to pressure the quarterback. The object of a blitz is to tackle the quarterback behind the line of scrimmage or force the quarterback to hurry his pass.

Nickel Package = The nickel defense is a basic defensive formation that is designed to stop the pass. The alignment features four down lineman, two linebackers, and five defensive backs.

Bump and Run = A technique used by defensive backs to slow down a receiver's ability to get off the line of scrimmage. The defender bumps the receiver at the start of the play and attempts to throw him off his route by keeping contact over the first five yards.

lonny23
12-02-2005, 09:31 PM
My wife always thinks they said cuddle.:mad:
I heard SLC roasts marshmallows and sings Cum-ba-yah in their huddle!:D

lonny23
12-02-2005, 09:33 PM
Blitz = A defensive strategy in which a linebacker or defensive back vacates his normal responsibilities in order to pressure the quarterback. The object of a blitz is to tackle the quarterback behind the line of scrimmage or force the quarterback to hurry his pass.

Nickel Package = The nickel defense is a basic defensive formation that is designed to stop the pass. The alignment features four down lineman, two linebackers, and five defensive backs.

Bump and Run = A technique used by defensive backs to slow down a receiver's ability to get off the line of scrimmage. The defender bumps the receiver at the start of the play and attempts to throw him off his route by keeping contact over the first five yards.
Hump and run- A technique used by most men when they get what they want!:p

mad_fan
12-04-2005, 05:02 AM
Lonny, I'll take that bet...............see you next week.....................

mad_fan
12-04-2005, 05:05 AM

I thought that was going to be T.O.'s new contract deal.

mad_fan
12-04-2005, 05:11 AM
I heard SLC roasts marshmallows and sings Cum-ba-yah in their huddle!:D

They need to watch that the stick doesn't catch fire.

lonny23
12-04-2005, 11:26 AM
Next year's champions- See Madison!:p

I really wanted them to win, but didn't see them pulling it off.

KatyTigerDad0407
12-07-2005, 02:26 AM
My girlfriend always asked football questions. If ya'll could post the answers to the questions for her I would be grateful;).

quaterback sneak?
fumble?
wide reciever?
tight end?
Hail Mary?
field goal?
xtra points?
end zone?
smash mouth?
time out?
measurement?

I'll start with these. Hopefully i'll get them back from ya'll in time to review with her Friday.

lonny23
12-07-2005, 07:33 AM
...I'll start with these. Hopefully i'll get them back from ya'll in time to review with her Friday.
Quarterback Sneak? You have 1 yard or less to get a first down. It's a simple play where the quarterback takes the ball from the center and either follows him or goes to the left or right of the center between the guards. The idea is the defense doesn't have enough time to stop the quaterback before he gets a first down. The offense knows the snap count and will be able to move before the defense does. The defense always reacts to the offense and that split second is enough time to get 1 yard if there isn't a problem with the snap.

Fumble? A fumble is when a person loses the ball while standing or before his knee or body touches the ground when falling. If the quarterback is going to throw the ball and his arm is moving forward, they don't consider it a fumble when he loses the ball and they call it an incomplete pass instead. A fumble is a live ball that either team can recover and run with. A fumbled ball that goes out of bounds belongs to the last team that had possession of the ball. A fumbled ball that goes out of bounds in the end zone belongs to the other team and they get the ball on their 20 yard line.

Wide Receiver? Their primary job is to catch passes. They line up close to the sideline to give them more room to run their pass patterns. There must be 7 people on the line of scrimmage to start every play. There are anywhere from 1 to 4 wide receivers in the game at all times. The Run and Shoot offense passes on almost every down uses 4 wide receivers with zero tight ends and 1 running back. 2 wide receivers will line up close to the sideline on the line of scrimmage and 2 will be slotbacks who are 1 step behind the line of scrimmage and a few yards outside of the offensive tackles. Slotbacks usually run shorter pass patterns that the guys out wide. A lot of your spread formations use 3 wide receivers with 1 tight end and 1 running back. The only teams that consistently use 1 wide receiver are wishbone teams with 3 running backs. Most of your pro style offenses use 2 wide receivers, 1 tight end, and 2 running backs. Wide receivers can run with the ball and those plays are called reverses.

Tight End? He is a dual-purpose player. He lines up next to the offensive tackle and blocks defensive players on running plays, but he is also an eligible player to catch passes (Offensive linemen can't catch passes playing on the interior of the line, but they can if they declare themselves as an eligible receiver playing as a tight end). Sometimes they block then go out in a pass pattern. They primarily run intermediate pass routes and come in handy for catching balls from 10-15 yards downfield. They're good receivers because they're tall and big. They're usually taller and bigger than the linebackers that cover them. Some tight ends are used primarily for blocking and they typically are the heavier tight ends. The smaller tight ends with more speed are used more in the passing game and not as much for blocking. Most teams use 1 tight end, but you sometimes have 2 tight ends for short yardage running plays to get more blockers and the 4 wide receiver formations don't use any tight ends.

Hail Mary? This is a pass play late in the game when the quarterback throws the ball as far downfield as he can. You have 3 or 4 receivers that all run toward the end zone and the quarterback runs around to give them time to get to the end zone. The defense puts 2 or 3 defensive backs about 30-40 yards downfield when they know the offense will run this play. They want to be in position to run under the ball and knock it down since this play is the last play of a half or a game. The play is named for the pass that Roger Staubach of the Dallas Cowboys threw to Drew Pearson in the 1975 Divisional Playoff game against the Minnesota Vikings. Dallas won the game 17-14 when Pearson pushed off the defensive back (Even Cowboy fans admit it!) at the 5 yard line, caught the ball, and ran into the end zone.

Field Goal? You get 4 plays to go 10 yards and get a first down. You lose the ball if you don't go far enough on 4th down to finish getting 10 yards in each set of downs. Most teams punt on 4th down, but they attempt a field goal on 4th down if they are close enough that their kicker can kick the ball through the set of uprights behind the end zone. There is a set of lines on both sides of the field called hash marks. Each play starts inside these hash marks and you usually want to be as close to the center of the field as possible when attempting a field goal to give your kicker the best chance possible to make the kick. You get 3 points for making a field goal. When you attempt a field goal, you have a holder line up 7 yards behind the line of scrimmage to catch the ball from the snapper, spin it so the smooth side of the ball is what the kicker hits, and to hold the ball with the tip of his finger. Since the uprights are behind the end zone, each field goal attempt is 17 yards added onto the line of scrimmage. A good high school kicker has range up to 40 or more yards. You would kick a 40-yard field goal if you got to the opponent's 23 yard line. Sometimes a team will attempt to get in field goal range at the end of the first half just to get 3 more points. Other teams want to just get in field goal range to win at the end of a game or in overtime. Those are the only cases where a team would kick a field goal before 4th down. How to block a kick is explained in the extra point area. The defense can score a TD by blocking a field goal attempt backwards behind the line of scrimmage (where the play starts) and running all the way to the other end zone. The offense can recover a blocked field goal that goes backwards and run up the field with it. A blocked kick that goes past the line of scrimmage can not be returned, but it is still a live ball that can be recovered. Leon Lett of the Dallas Cowboys was the most famous person who did this when he attempted to recover a blocked kick on Thanksgiving Day in 1993 against the Miami Dolphins in the snow. His teammates tried to get him to stay away from the ball, but he slipped in the snow kicked the ball and the Dolphins recovered the ball. They lined up to kick a shorter field goal and they won. Thankfully, that was the last game Dallas lost that year.

Extra Points? You get 6 points for scoring a touchdown by getting the ball into the end zone. When you get a touchdown, you attempt an extra point. You snap the ball like a field goal and kick the ball from the 10 yard line. The ball for an extra point is always snapped from the center of the field on the 3 yard line and that's why an extra point is a 20-yard kick that's pretty standard to make. Just like field goals, the offense blocks the defense and they want to block the kick. The smaller guys run around the outside blockers and dive to block the kick. The taller guys line up on the line of scrimmage and jump to block the kick. If you can block an extra point backwards, you can pick up the ball on defense and get 2 points if you run it all the way back to the other end zone. The offense doesn't get any points if they recover a blocked extra point. The offense gets 1 point for a made extra point. The uprights are 10 feet off the ground and around 18-19 feet wide.

End Zone? That's the painted area at both ends of the field where each team is trying to get the ball. You get 6 points for being in possession of the ball in the end zone and it's called a touchdown. The defense can get a safety and score 2 points for tackling an offensive player in the opposite end zone where they're moving with the ball (It's the end zone behind the offense) or for blocking a punt through the back of the end zone. The end zone is 10 yards in length and it's the same width as the field (53 1/3 yards or 160 feet). There are 100 yards (300 feet) of field between the end zones, except Canada which has 110 yards or 330 feet. They have 20 yard end zones in Canada and can score Rouges. I'll give you a bonus term and explain rouges, too!:D

Smash Mouth? This is a style of football based upon running. Running the football up the middle of the field between the tackles is the most basic play and style. A team that consistently runs up the middle and depends upon the strength of the offensive line and their running backs is said to play smash mouth football. Euless Trinity could be said to play smash mouth football since they have a big offensive line and good running backs. This type of play is effective except for when they play a team like Converse Judson!:D :p

Timeout? Each team gets 3 timeouts in a half. They are used to stop the clock when you're behind or tied late in a game. The defense calls timeouts to leave more time on the game clock when they want to get the ball back. The offense calls time outs to stop the running clock when they have a player that gets tackled inbounds and too much time would run off the clock before the start of the next play. Sometimes the defense or offense will call a play because they don't have the right formation or they sense a problem. Teams also call timeouts because the play clock is about to expire and they don't want to get a 5 yard penalty for delay of game.

Measurement? Look for 34DD-24-36!:D Oh, you mean football! That's when they bring out those 2 sticks from the sideline that have 10 yards of chain between them. They are used to measure if a team has taken the ball far enough to be credited with a first down. The sticks are brought out for a measurement when the offense is close to a first down. Sometimes the referee just signals a first down, but other times it's too close and they have to bring the sticks out. The offense, defense, or officials can request a measurement.

Rouge? This is only in Canada. A rouge is 1 point and you score one when you punt the ball or kickoff and the other team can not return the ball out of the end zone before he is tackled. You also get a rouge when a blocked or missed field is not returned out of the end zone. They also play with 12 people in Canada instead of 11.

KatyTigerDad0407
12-07-2005, 04:05 PM
Lonny, I guess you didn't get the ;). THAT WAS A HELL OF A POST!

mad_fan
12-07-2005, 08:10 PM
I was going to take this one this AM but didn't have time. I thought Lonny would handle it in the same fashion I would have. I have NEVER been more disappointed in Lonny.:p

lonny23
12-08-2005, 01:00 AM
Lonny, I guess you didn't get the ;). THAT WAS A HELL OF A POST!
I saw it and took it as a joke, but I went ahead and answered the question and threw in plenty of details so people could learn something they didn't know before.

dragons08
12-08-2005, 01:02 AM
lonny you forgot the postion loser..i'll help you out

Loser? A person named lonny who posts A LOT on 5a. he tends to make fun of dragons08 alot, but dragons08 tends to burn him here and there.

lonny23
12-08-2005, 01:04 AM
I was going to take this one this AM but didn't have time. I thought Lonny would handle it in the same fashion I would have. I have NEVER been more disappointed in Lonny.:p
Hey, I wanted to be a smart aleck, but I went ahead and played it straight and tried to give good info. Don't think it didn't cross my mind to say stuff!:D

mad_fan
12-09-2005, 08:19 PM
Hey, I wanted to be a smart aleck, but I went ahead and played it straight and tried to give good info. Don't think it didn't cross my mind to say stuff!:D

Your twin KNOWS it crossed your mind, hence to ribbing.:D

mad_fan
12-09-2005, 08:23 PM
I was going to be all over that Tight End thing...being a good Catholic boy, I could touch Mary.:D

lonny23
12-10-2005, 10:46 AM
I was going to be all over that Tight End thing...being a good Catholic boy, I could touch Mary.:D
Yes, I thought about saying something on the tight end question. The fact we have women around and the fact I shoudn't say some stuff helps keep me in line!:D