PDA

View Full Version : You are now the Plano Coach - what do you do at the Kick-off?

toonman
11-29-2005, 08:21 AM
Plano Fans you are now Coach Gerald Brence. It is game day - Saturday December 3rd 2005, at Texas Stadium. You have just sent the captains out to center field for the Coin Toss. What do you tell your captains to do? (SLC Fans and Neutrals, please reply from a Plano viewpoint). We know SLC will opt to receive the kick if SLC wins the toss, but what does Plano do when faced with the choice :-

a. Kick-off to SLC or b. Receive the Kick-off from SLC.

This is the conundrum you are faced with.

a. Kick to SLC - In kicking to SLC you give the ball to the State’s best offense, who have scored on each of their opening drives in the play-offs. Against Allen it only took 2 passes and 45 seconds. If SLC scores then Plano are chasing the game from the get-go. But if the Plano defense puts a stop on the Dragons first attack then you make a huge statement and give the whole Plano team a lift, ready for when the Plano Offense takes the field.

b. Receive the kick from SLC – To win the game Plano has to score points, but you are facing SLC’s best ever defense; who has shut down the opening drives of I-Mac, Allen and Abilene. In fact SLC has completely shut-out all 3 play-off opponents in the first half of games. By receiving the ball you keep the SLC offense off the field, but you must put points on the board before giving the ball back to SLC.

Pick your poison. It’s your choice Coach Fan.

sendero
11-29-2005, 08:22 AM
Has someone mentioned praying???:D

Sakatha
11-29-2005, 08:26 AM
Plano Fans you are now Coach Gerald Brence. It is game day - Saturday December 3rd 2005, at Texas Stadium. You have just sent the captains out to center field for the Coin Toss. What do you tell your captains to do? (SLC Fans and Neutrals, please reply from a Plano viewpoint). We know SLC will opt to receive the kick if SLC wins the toss, but what does Plano do when faced with the choice :-

a. Kick-off to SLC or b. Receive the Kick-off from SLC.

This is the conundrum you are faced with.

a. Kick to SLC - In kicking to SLC you give the ball the State’s best offense, who have scored on each of their opening drives in the play-offs. Against Allen it only took 2 passes and 45 seconds. If SLC scores then Plano are chasing the game from the get-go. But if the Plano defense puts a stop on the Dragons first attack then you make a huge statement and give the whole Plano team a lift, ready for when the Plano Offense takes the field.

b. Receive the kick from SLC – To win the game Plano has to score points, but you are facing SLC’s best ever defense; who has shut down the opening drives of I-Mac, Allen and Abilene. In fact SLC has completely shut-out all 3 play-off opponents in the first half of games. By receiving the ball you keep the SLC offense off the field, but you must put points on the board before giving the ball back to SLC.

Pick your poison. It’s choice Coach Fan.

*ASSUMING YOU WIN THE TOSS*

You take the ball. As I said in another thread, then you pray you don't go 3 and out. You gotta hold the snap till 1 sec left on every down. Milk that clock for all it's worth.

Problem that almost every team faces is, if they go 3 and out even once, normally they look up and it's 14-0.

Can Plano beat SLC w/a run based attack if they are down 14 points? If that scenario plays out, SLC wins by 50.

~DnM

Fleeman93
11-29-2005, 09:27 AM
If Plano wins the toss I would differ to the second half and of course SLC would take the ball. If Plano's D is as good as advertised then give them the chance to set the tone. One thing Plano can't be is scared or they will get trounced for sure. A huge part of why Mike Tyson was so damn good is because everyone that stepped in the ring with him was scared out of their minds. Then comes along old "Buster" and he says what the hell do I have to lose and Mike Tyson's career is history. Plano should go in there and give them everything they have and if they get beat then they should accpet that they got beat by a better team. Certainly wouldn't be the first time SLC has beat a good team.

Mr_Lucci
11-29-2005, 10:02 AM
The only thing I would expect Coach Brence to do is walk out on the field. Take a look around and take it all in. Walk over to the bench. Put his head between his legs and kiss his *** goodbye cause Plano doesnt' stand a chance !!! :eek:

And I was worried about Westfield. Atleast we aren't playing SLC. !

dragonsdaddy
11-29-2005, 10:14 AM
*ASSUMING YOU WIN THE TOSS*

You take the ball. As I said in another thread, then you pray you don't go 3 and out. You gotta hold the snap till 1 sec left on every down. Milk that clock for all it's worth.

Problem that almost every team faces is, if they go 3 and out even once, normally they look up and it's 14-0.

Can Plano beat SLC w/a run based attack if they are down 14 points? If that scenario plays out, SLC wins by 50.

~DnM
plano along with every other team in every playoff game this week has to feel they can play their game. dance with those what brung them, so to speak. any semblance of fear or weakness on the coaches part(drastic change in formations or stratgies) will be a step into the abyss. i don't look for brence to do anything that they haven't been successful with up til now. they will try to disguise some coverages, and recreate what worked against similar offenses this year. the offense will assume they can move the ball. if they can't, everything else is irrelevant anyway. therefore, they'll take the ball, and let the chips fall where they may.

Favpack
11-29-2005, 10:16 AM
I'd defer if you win the toss - Plano supposedly has a tough D - let them have at it. Plus, you get the ball to begin the 3rd.

Fleeman93
11-29-2005, 10:16 AM
Do most teams up that way take the ball when they win the toss?

Dargason
11-29-2005, 10:18 AM
This thread sounds like the old Karl Malden Amex commercials... "What will you do? What WILL YOU DO!?"

I agree with ddaddy - they have to stay with their strengths and not get desperate early... like Cowher did last night with that onside kick...

Fleeman93
11-29-2005, 10:19 AM
I'd defer if you win the toss - Plano supposedly has a tough D - let them have at it. Plus, you get the ball to begin the 3rd.

As I stated in my earlier post I think this would be the best way to go. There is no doubt that Plano's D is going to have to play lights out to get the win so why not give them the chance to shut off the power right off the bat. Not saying it is going to happen but can you imagine the tone it would set if Plano kicked off and forced SLC to 3 and out............?

reed35
11-29-2005, 10:22 AM
Brence does usually defer.........

dragonsdaddy
11-29-2005, 10:27 AM
As I stated in my earlier post I think this would be the best way to go. There is no doubt that Plano's D is going to have to play lights out to get the win so why not give them the chance to shut off the power right off the bat. Not saying it is going to happen but can you imagine the tone it would set if Plano kicked off and forced SLC to 3 and out............?
someone did that to slc last year. seems like it was abilene, or sv maybe. first series backed up 12 yds and punted. generally speaking, since slc is in their 2 minute offense anyway, i don't think missing a series early is any different than in the second qtr or the second half. generally, the slc offense is pretty amnestic.

UT66
11-29-2005, 10:29 AM
Fleeman has it. You hope to give the ball to SLC first and let your "D" do their thing. You get to look at the vaunted SLC "O" right off the bat and IF you can stop them.....you plant a seed. I'll bet they have driven down to score most of the time they have the ball first and expect it. No matter how confident or well coached, stopping them on the first drive WILL have some effect and Plano will need every advantage.

KatyTigerDad0407
11-29-2005, 10:29 AM
Am I wearing depends?

dragonsdaddy
11-29-2005, 10:42 AM
slc is a great 11 man team using the skills and techniques honed thru 7on7 play. do 7on7 teams start doubting after getting stopped on the first couple of series? this is a new era and dodge has prepared a team to deal with it as well or better than anyone. will it continue to dominate? i doubt it, but it's too late for everyone to catch up this year. will they win out? if they play the last 3 like the first 3, i'd be willing to bet a dr pepper or 3.

Fleeman93
11-29-2005, 10:46 AM
I'm not saying that Plano stopping SLC with a 3 and out on their first possesion will do anything to a proven SLC team but it will without a doubt give Plano a huge boost of confidence. Lets take it a step further and say that SLC puts to Plano and they drive the ball on the ground 60 yards for a score that eats up 8 minutes off the clock. Now how does it look?

lonny23
11-29-2005, 10:51 AM
I think SLC might have enough of a letdown that this game stays somewhat close.

Butch Fifield
11-29-2005, 10:53 AM
I think Brence almost always defers. He will probably stick with that.

Fleeman93
11-29-2005, 10:55 AM
If you have a solid defense then you should defer.

PurpleNation
11-29-2005, 11:00 AM
I would choose to recievce the opening kickoff if I was Plano. Try your best to atleast pick up 2 firstdowns and keep the clock running. Trying to knock off 4 to 5 minutes off the clock on my first drive and even if I didnt score your are shortening the game and giveing yourself a better shot. If you give SLC the ball first and they score in the first 5 plays then I can just feel the energy taken from the Plano sideline. But once we had to play defense I would Blitzt until my LB's legs fell off. Hopfully trying to put McElroy to the turf atleast 2-3 times a quarter. It will be Key for Plano to keep fresh legs in on the secondary. and always protect against the home run ball with a 2-deep saftey look. If Plano can establisg a running game and score 2 or 3 first half TD's and apply great pressure then I see Plano having a shot of beating the SLC Dragons. Maybe a few trick plays here and there to try to catch SLC out of position for a Quick score.

With a successful and mistake free Plano game with great defense and twice as much ball control. And force atleast 3 McElroy INTS

Plano 21

SLC 14

If everything fells for Plano and they get out of there game plan.

SLC 56

Plano 7

ktchamp97
11-29-2005, 11:07 AM
How many teams have opened the game with an onside kick against SLC? I would think at least a few teams have tried it.

Great question, by the way...

I would tend to agree with those that have said to do whatever you've done all year. If you normally defer, then do that and take your chances with your defense.

Here's why:
If you take the ball first, you may find out that Carroll's defense is a hell of alot better than you expected and that could be more deflating than watching them score on their opening possession...plus, they would get the ball to start the second half, and if you've played pretty well up to that point, it could be the difference in the game...if you haven't played as well as you would've liked, SLC getting the ball to start the second half would represent the victory lap.

shooter
11-29-2005, 11:11 AM
I would make the double switch, inserting the crafty-sidearm-lefty-reliever in to number 6 hole and replacing the centerfielder with the quicker more defensive minded player. This will give you and extra inning from the lefty and give you solid defense in the later innings of the game.

oh wait....

ktchamp97
11-29-2005, 11:13 AM
I would make the double switch, inserting the crafty-sidearm-lefty-reliever in to number 6 hole and replacing the centerfielder with the quicker more defensive minded player. This will give you and extra inning from the lefty and give you solid defense in the later innings of the game.

oh wait....

You, sir, are the Sultan of Sarcasm. Good stuff.

KatyTigerDad0407
11-29-2005, 11:15 AM
You have to be something special.

How many teams have threads "How to beat", "What do you Do?",this deep in the playoffs, when the contenders are undeafted themselves.

BATON ROUGE-It takes a big RED STICK to beat these guys.
There is only one cat they haven't skinned and Plano is not it.

svrangerfan
11-29-2005, 11:23 AM
If I win the toss I put my strongest unit out there first. That is why Brence defers more than likely. SV shut SLC down on their 1st series and got a short punt and scored so they survived the 1st quarter. If this is still a game in the 2nd then Plano has a chance. SLC can go off at any time so keeping them off the field and eating the clock is key. Mc Elroy can't beat you if he is standing next to Dodge. The problem is Plano only scored 20 points against Midland. That ain't gonna beat SLC unless they are able to grind it out.

dragonsdaddy
11-29-2005, 11:27 AM
i thought that was the way it happened. in fact sv had the lead in both finals now that i think back. again, 7on7 strategies are in effect at slc games, and 98.4 percent of the time , they have been successful.

planocat05
11-29-2005, 11:28 AM
i heard rumors that this game would be one ESPN anybody know if thats true?

RidgePride
11-29-2005, 11:31 AM
How many teams have opened the game with an onside kick against SLC? I would think at least a few teams have tried it.

Great question, by the way...

I think Allen (or some other team) tried that last year. It backfired big time. A Carroll player scooped up the ball and almost scored a touchdown on an onside kick --UNBELIEVABLE -

WildcatFan
11-29-2005, 11:35 AM
This an easy one!

I defer to the 2nd and give the defense a chance to size up the situation.

Plano has the No. 1 Ranked D going against No. 1 ranked O, plus the emotions are charged and blood is flowing.

It's no shock that SLC is going to score points and them scoring on the first drive is not going to rattle Plano's style of play.

Remeber this team has proven time after time that it can come back from behind so no worries.

WestlandTiger'95
11-29-2005, 11:53 AM
you defer....if they score on the first possesion....so what....just breaks the ice. They are going to score. 2003 they scored on the first play from scrimmage in the title game on an out and up route and faked out an unexperienced DB named Will thompson. We all know how that game ended. I wonder where ole' Will is today?

stick to your gameplan NO MATTER WHAT happens in the first half!!!!!!!

Butch Fifield
11-29-2005, 12:07 PM
after further thought....

you defer and they make you kick off.....

on defense, on the first series, you bull rush 11 men. you take out the quarterback & running back in one swoop before they have time to even think.

if this works as good as i think it would, do this the whole game.

SLC is held to zero points, minus 200 yards, and has 12 fumbles which leads to 60 easy Plano points.

i just emailed coach Brence with this suggestion.

Fleeman93
11-29-2005, 12:14 PM

on defense, on the first series, you bull rush 11 men. you take out the quarterback & running back in one swoop before they have time to even think.

SLC is held to zero points, minus 200 yards, and has 12 fumbles which leads to 60 easy Plano points.

Do you really think that would work against SLC?

dragonsdaddy
11-29-2005, 12:14 PM

that'd work vs the scout team maybe. your confidence'd be up until the first play from scrimmage.

Butch Fifield
11-29-2005, 12:32 PM
Do you really think that would work against SLC?

ok....i have changed my strategy......

put one defensive back out on each of the three receivers. the defensive backs bump the receivers as hard as they can right at the line of scrimmage.

the other 8 defenders are blitzing in. the quarterback has to release the ball right away, but the receivers have been bumped and have no chance to catch the quick pass.

rellufnalla
11-29-2005, 12:36 PM
I have this vision of the Plano coach standing on the sideline looking like Henry Winkler "Coach Klein" in "Waterboy" being confronted by Jerry Reed "Coach Red" with the infamous playbook.

This is a great opportunity for Plano, a team that has fought hard to get to the Regional. If they want to win, they will have to outperform any of their previous efforts. The coach ought to be lookin' for one helluva rabbit to pull out of his playbook.

I personally want SLC to win but wish both teams the best.

dragonsdaddy
11-29-2005, 12:49 PM
ok....i have changed my strategy......

put one defensive back out on each of the three receivers. the defensive backs bump the receivers as hard as they can right at the line of scrimmage.

the other 8 defenders are blitzing in. the quarterback has to release the ball right away, but the receivers have been bumped and have no chance to catch the quick pass.
"dangit, i forgot they always have 4 receivers. dangit" butch says extra pointedly.

Butch Fifield
11-29-2005, 01:00 PM
i thought about the 4 receivers, but i figure that one of them must not be that good.

rellufnalla
11-29-2005, 01:09 PM
i thought about the 4 receivers, but i figure that one of them must not be that good.

You might be right. I think it took 3 quarters on that last game for Renfro to finally catch a pass. Maybe Plano should just not cover him this game.

Redneckn
11-29-2005, 01:11 PM
If you have a sizable D-line, I would say no matter what, blitz on 1st and 2nd.
Blitz enough to where they are expecting it most of the time. That will keep them honest.

On the O side, you will have to outscore them. Put the ball in the air 70% of the time.

Above all else, don't panic. They are going to score. And they are going to score pretty often. You just have to score more often then they do. Normally, I would say go after their QB and try to get him out of the game. But SLC has 2 SB's and taking them both out would look bad. But I would make sure that my D was knocking the QB down every single time they can and it still be legal.

I think SLC could actually go down this week or next. I have faith that it will happen.

RidgePride
11-29-2005, 01:18 PM
This an easy one!

I defer to the 2nd and give the defense a chance to size up the situation.

Plano has the No. 1 Ranked D going against No. 1 ranked O, plus the emotions are charged and blood is flowing.

It's no shock that SLC is going to score points and them scoring on the first drive is not going to rattle Plano's style of play.

Remeber this team has proven time after time that it can come back from behind so no worries.
Yes this is an easy one... You receive the ball
If Plano scores on its first possesion, they are more likely to stick with their game plan even if SLC scores immediately afterwards.
If SLC scores on their first possesion, it would put a lot of pressure on the Plano offense because they may feel SLC will score often. The coach may try to pass the ball early to keep up (which we know is doom for Plano).

RidgePride
11-29-2005, 01:26 PM
Here's why:
If you take the ball first, you may find out that Carroll's defense is a hell of alot better than you expected and that could be more deflating than watching them score on their opening possession...plus, they would get the ball to start the second half, and if you've played pretty well up to that point, it could be the difference in the game...if you haven't played as well as you would've liked, SLC getting the ball to start the second half would represent the victory lap.

I believe it is more deflating if Carroll Scores on their first possession. If Plano believes that Carroll will score often, They (Plano) will get out of their game plan on offense.

WildcatFan
11-29-2005, 01:34 PM
I believe it is more deflating if Carroll Scores on their first possession. If Plano believes that Carroll will score often, They (Plano) will get out of their game plan on offense.

Not with this team they are used to playing from behind, remember Bend-Not Break!

RidgePride
11-29-2005, 01:36 PM
Not with this team they are used to playing from behind, remember Bend-Not Break!
I would probably agree against any other team but Southlake. Southlake is notorious for scoring early and often.

If they slice Plano's defense easily on their first possession. Plano will panic.

rellufnalla
11-29-2005, 01:38 PM
Katy vs SLC in 2003 - SLC's first drive.

Touchdown SLC - it was scary.

At first.

But it got better.

ALLIN
11-29-2005, 01:46 PM
Man, is that all Katy has to live for these days is the one point victory against SLC, every thread has some comment about it. YOU PLAYED A GREAT GAME and beat us by one point, we know. What more can we say, SLC is over the loss, get over the win. I hope to see Katy in 3 weeks :):)
Also, i cant wait for the Cove Lufkin game, i think it will be a great one!

dragonsdaddy
11-29-2005, 02:09 PM
If you have a sizable D-line, I would say no matter what, blitz on 1st and 2nd.
Blitz enough to where they are expecting it most of the time. That will keep them honest.

On the O side, you will have to outscore them. Put the ball in the air 70% of the time.

Above all else, don't panic. They are going to score. And they are going to score pretty often. You just have to score more often then they do. Normally, I would say go after their QB and try to get him out of the game. But SLC has 2 SB's and taking them both out would look bad. But I would make sure that my D was knocking the QB down every single time they can and it still be legal.

I think SLC could actually go down this week or next. I have faith that it will happen.
that's not faith you're feeling, but gas-x will help it. the team that blitzes, dies by the fade, the screen, and the draw.

DragonNation
11-29-2005, 02:19 PM
ALLIN:

I agree!! Katy fans are completely consumed by the Dragons. Why would they feel that way? Because they know 2003 was a fluke.

Southlake Carroll will beat Katy senseless in a re-match. We know, they know it, and the state knows it.

Redneckn
11-29-2005, 02:34 PM
that's not faith you're feeling, but gas-x will help it. the team that blitzes, dies by the fade, the screen, and the draw.

I think it would work because SLC wouldnt really expect it. The QB would be getting roughed up. It would shock SLC for Plano to do this.

Do I think Plano will? No. But it sure would change the way the game would be played.

KatyTigerDad0407
11-29-2005, 02:38 PM
ALLIN:

I agree!! Katy fans are completely consumed by the Dragons. Why would they feel that way? Because they know 2003 was a fluke.

Southlake Carroll will beat Katy senseless in a re-match. We know, they know it, and the state knows it.
That's a beautiful post. Keep them coming!

dragonsdaddy
11-29-2005, 02:46 PM
I think it would work because SLC wouldnt really expect it. The QB would be getting roughed up. It would shock SLC for Plano to do this.

Do I think Plano will? No. But it sure would change the way the game would be played.
i'm not sure why plano isn't supposed to blitz. i'm thinking slc'd be shocked if they didn't. dodge has them working all week against the blitz. it may work early, or even late, if not expected. not knowing the plano tendencies, i can't say how slc knows when to run the screen, but they are the best screen running team i've ever seen. didn't need it last week, but expect it a lot this week if the wildcats play agressively.

Redneckn
11-29-2005, 02:55 PM
i'm not sure why plano isn't supposed to blitz. i'm thinking slc'd be shocked if they didn't. dodge has them working all week against the blitz. it may work early, or even late, if not expected. not knowing the plano tendencies, i can't say how slc knows when to run the screen, but they are the best screen running team i've ever seen. didn't need it last week, but expect it a lot this week if the wildcats play agressively.

I think the game this week will be a dandy no matter what... Wish'n I could be there. But I have to be at a bull sale. I am running out of sh!t to say..haha... No really, I promised my dad we could go to some bull sale down this way somewhere. So I figure if he comes all the way over here, he'll buy one.

WildcatFan
11-29-2005, 02:58 PM
It amazes me that everyone does not give Plano's pass defense much credit.

Trust me we are not the number one defense because of lack-luster DB's, I think SLC will be just as surprised by the DB's of Plano than the front line.

My guess is Plano will blitz but not send everyone they will key in on weakness in the O'line trust me even SLC has weakness and we have a good LB core.

If we can pressure sending one or two and force Big-Mac to throw early we in effect will slow them down or force turnovers.

SLC is just a team of boys, same age as ours, same size same speed just different styles. They can be beat but the game has to be played for 60 minutes. If Plano is luck enough to get a lead they must not let up as SLC will find a way to win.

Jive Turkey
11-29-2005, 03:03 PM
Based on the original post, Coach Brence should tell the captains to head back to the bus. Plano can't stop SLC from scoring and can't score on them. May as well go home and catch the second half of the Big 12 championship game.

:D

WildcatFan
11-29-2005, 03:06 PM
Based on the original post, Coach Brence should tell the captains to head back to the bus. Plano can't stop SLC from scoring and can't score on them. May as well go home and catch the second half of the Big 12 championship game.

:D

Yada Yada Yada, come up with some origional thought and base your comments on something other than this crap.

We have been hearing it all year and will hear it all week. You are not going to intimidate us we have been wanting this game not avoiding it.

We have nothing to loose you have everything on the line!:D

Butch Fifield
11-29-2005, 03:10 PM
Wildcat Fan...

Jive Turkey is a Wildcat fan who was being sarcastic.

Jive Turkey
11-29-2005, 03:10 PM
Turn on your sarcasm meter, Wildcat Fan.

I'm a Plano Senior High grad (class of 90).

WildcatFan
11-29-2005, 03:12 PM
Turn on your sarcasm meter, Wildcat Fan.

I'm a Plano Senior High grad (class of 90).

My bad but I am in the zone this week and defending our Cats against this horde of Dragons clouds my judgement sometimes.

Jive Turkey
11-29-2005, 03:14 PM
No problem. I'm new around here, and only Butch probably knows I went to Plano.

Eagle81
11-29-2005, 03:16 PM
Tell the boys it's been a great season and there's always next year.

WildcatFan
11-29-2005, 03:19 PM
Tell the boys it's been a great season and there's always next year.

Thanks we will make sure we let the Dragons know that when we leave the field on Sat.

RidgePride
11-29-2005, 05:32 PM
Katy vs SLC in 2003 - SLC's first drive.

Touchdown SLC - it was scary.

At first.

But it got better.

Like others, I think the Katy game was a fluke. I think Southlake was the better team - Just not on that day.

I am rooting for Plano in this game - I just try to be objective.

BAMF cowboy
11-29-2005, 05:34 PM
good thread toony

If i was coach I would take the ball. Put it this way...you're going to have to have offense in order to win, you beat SLC, you have to outscore them. If my offense falters and we punt the ball away then at least i know I had my shot.

WildcatFan
11-29-2005, 05:41 PM
PLANO WILL WIN AND HERE IS WHY!

First everyone knows Plano is a second half team, and if you SLC fans didn't know this now you do.

SLC hasn't had to play anyone in the 2nd half except Grapevine and Plano would slaughter Grapevine 500-0

The fact is Plano's O will score enough points to win.

Plano's D will not be routed in the 1st half.

SLC will be too beat up to stop Plano in the 2nd half.

Your boys know this and on top of this they have everything to loose!

Don't Cho Cho Chokeauggggggggg gag gag

toonman
11-29-2005, 05:57 PM

First everyone knows Plano is a second half team, and if you SLC fans didn't know this now you do.

SLC hasn't had to play anyone in the 2nd half except Grapevine and Plano would slaughter Grapevine 500-0

Your evaluation of the game is purely subjective based on your feelings, without any substance based on fact. Let's look at the play-off facts :-

Play-offs : Both Teams 3-0 - Even
Average Points Scored : SLC 48 – Plano 23 – Huge Advantage SLC.
Average Points against : SLC 12 – Plano 15 - Advantage SLC.
Average Margin of Wins : SLC 36 – Plano 8 - Huge Advantage SLC
Record of Play-off Opponents : SLC 30-3 – Plano 26-7 - Advantage SLC

Which ever way you slice and dice the numbers; they all point to a SLC win.

dragonsdaddy
11-29-2005, 06:06 PM
no , logically, if wildcatfan can somehow get dodge to play the seconds while plano is still in the game, they'll beat us for sure. they are a second half team, and our seconds are our second half team. dangit, he's got us there.

WildcatFan
11-29-2005, 06:10 PM
Your evaluation of the game is purely subjective based on your feelings, without any substance based on fact. Let's look at the play-off facts :-

Play-offs : Both Teams 3-0 - Even
Average Points Scored : SLC 48 – Plano 23 – Huge Advantage SLC.
Average Points against : SLC 12 – Plano 15 - Advantage SLC.
Average Margin of Wins : SLC 36 – Plano 8 - Huge Advantage SLC
Record of Play-off Opponents : SLC 30-3 – Plano 26-7 - Advantage SLC

Which ever way you slice and dice the numbers; they all point to a SLC win.

Your right but lets look at the facts of my feelings.

I felt Arlington Lamar would loose to Permian in 1989 they did.
I felt the Stars would beat the Sabers in the Stanly Cup they did.
I felt the Cowboys would win the Superbowl every year they went in the 90's they did.
I felt SLC would blow out D-Ryan on ESPN that night they did.
I felt O.J. would be aquited he was!
I felt Bush would win in both 2000 and 2004 he did
I feel Plano will win this game!

Whichever way you slice and dice the feelings it all points to a Plano Win!

Redneckn
11-29-2005, 06:11 PM
I think pride and over-confidence is a weakness. If Plano can seriously come up with a way to exploit that, they can win this.
And it can be exploited. Just because nobody has done it yet does not mean it can't be done. It is just going to take somebody that can remain calm and think about it.

WildcatFan
11-29-2005, 06:13 PM
I think pride and over-confidence is a weakness. If Plano can seriously come up with a way to exploit that, they can win this.
And it can be exploited. Just because nobody has done it yet does not mean it can't be done. It is just going to take somebody that can remain calm and think about it.

The differenence this week is SLC expects to win, Plano believes it can win!

reed35
11-29-2005, 06:14 PM
Wildcatfanyou must have been with Irvin the last few days......

dragonfootballfan
11-29-2005, 06:14 PM

I felt the Cowboys would win the Superbowl every year they went in the 90's they did.

do you feel the lottery numbers for this week?

WildcatFan
11-29-2005, 06:15 PM
Wildcatfanyou must have been with Irvin the last few days......

I knew I forgot my pipe somewhere, I just need to find a way to get it back!

dragonfootballfan
11-29-2005, 06:15 PM
how do you know if the players are overconfident?

WildcatFan
11-29-2005, 06:17 PM

When they show up with faggity bleached hair!

dragonsdaddy
11-29-2005, 06:19 PM
i can see them on the sidelines remaining calm. that's the ticket. remain calm. if they or anyone has to think about it, the games over. false confidence is definitely a weakness. pride is a biblical sin. not so much in hs football.

dragonfootballfan
When they show up with faggity bleached hair!
so bleach hair = overconfident?

Redneckn

I'm pretty sure they are. Fans and teams will feed off each other. The team may not be quite as cocky as the fans, but they prolly pretty cocky. It's hard not to be cocky when you've done what they've done. I'm not saying that Plano can find a way to exploit it, but the chance is there.

WildcatFan
11-29-2005, 06:20 PM
so bleach hair = overconfident?

No I just felt like saying Faggity Bleached Hair

dragonfootballfan
11-29-2005, 06:22 PM
I'm pretty sure they are. Fans and teams will feed off each other. The team may not be quite as cocky as the fans, but they prolly pretty cocky. It's hard not to be cocky when you've done what they've done. I'm not saying that Plano can find a way to exploit it, but the chance is there.
so you know that the Carroll team and players are overconfident because around 20 out of the 10,000+ fans that post here on a message board are over-confident?

WildcatFan
11-29-2005, 06:25 PM
so you know that the Carroll team and players are overconfident because around 20 out of the 10,000+ fans that post here on a message board are over-confident?

And Renfro is sooooo humble?

Redneckn
11-29-2005, 06:28 PM

I'm not claiming anything as fact. But I would guess they are. The chances are that they are over-confident.
It's commonly referred to as "learned behavior". Like me, growing up in a very hard core republican home. I didn't know there was any other way to be. Until I got older and got out of my parents house did I realize they voted with the party no matter what. I grew up and realized that politicians are bums and should be shot.

So kids coming up in an overconfident SLC home will carry that overconfidence out of the home. Only when they grow up will they realize that while it was ok to be on top, it was bad to be on top and think they couldnt be knocked off.

I'd love to see how many SLC people will come here and not have excuses when they do get beat.

Me personally, I don't think SLC will lose this week. Good chance they wont lose this year. And that would fine with me. But the chance is there. The bigger the wins each week, the more cocky they can become.

dragonfootballfan
11-29-2005, 06:32 PM
And Renfro is sooooo humble?
what evidence points otherwise?

WildcatFan
11-29-2005, 06:35 PM
what evidence points otherwise?

Sorry I can't post video here of his field antics!

dragonsdaddy
11-29-2005, 06:45 PM
over-confident connotes false confidence. the dragons are extremely confident that they will play with severe intensity, and that should they do that there is a great chance of success. they have the confidence of wearing a bullseye for 50+ weeks, and winning all but one. that doesn't sound false to me.

dragonsdaddy
11-29-2005, 06:48 PM
i have been told by some reliable sources, since we are naming names that there may be a brother duo for plano that some might consider cocky. as long as rwe are detracting from hs kids and all.

drgnbkr
11-29-2005, 07:03 PM

Oh, you mean the acrobatic catches? Or the video of him blowing by db's?

Butch Fifield
11-29-2005, 07:05 PM
I do see Renfro's dad at Lone Star Park alot. I think he has a gambling problem.

No wait. He works there. I am the one with the gambling problem:)

dragonsdaddy
11-29-2005, 07:06 PM
I do see Renfro's dad at Lone Star Park alot. I think he has a gambling problem.

lol. that's the best post of the day.

hollywood
11-29-2005, 07:21 PM
If I am Plano I do what I do best. If I lose the Toss I kick the ball out of the end zone. Since I have a very good defense, I play as tough a defense as possible, hit with intensity, wrap up the ball carrier, go with my instincts, expect turnovers and make them count. Play solid fundamental football. Make the receivers know they have been hit. Expect opportunities to recover fumbles and make interceptions. Don't hesitate to go for the ball. If I make a mistake, get my head back in the game and make a play. Be prepared for the no huddle.

When I am on offense, take what the defense gives me. The object is to move the chains. Mix in some deep plays to keep the defense honest. Don't get desperate. Don't turn over the ball. Try some no huddle.

Special teams. Hit hard. Block smart. Expect turnovers.

I am torn on whether to defer or not. Usually I would defer to put my best Unit on the field. If I think my quarterback and the rest of the offense can handle the mental pressure I might just elect to take the ball. No fumbles. No interceptions.

Redneckn
11-29-2005, 07:24 PM

HAHAHA...That's pretty good...I have no idea what LoneStarPark is, but I would guess horse racing. Wait..You're talking about SLC people being there. It must be Greyhound racing then. That's a little more classy.
Do they sip hot tea as the sun sets?

dragonsdaddy
11-29-2005, 07:39 PM
If I am Plano I do what I do best. If I lose the Toss I kick the ball out of the end zone. Since I have a very good defense, I play as tough a defense as possible, hit with intensity, wrap up the ball carrier, go with my instincts, expect turnovers and make them count. Play solid fundamental football. Make the receivers know they have been hit. Expect opportunities to recover fumbles and make interceptions. Don't hesitate to go for the ball. If I make a mistake, get my head back in the game and make a play. Be prepared for the no huddle.

When I am on offense, take what the defense gives me. The object is to move the chains. Mix in some deep plays to keep the defense honest. Don't get desperate. Don't turn over the ball. Try some no huddle.

Special teams. Hit hard. Block smart. Expect turnovers.

I am torn on whether to defer or not. Usually I would defer to put my best Unit on the field. If I think my quarterback and the rest of the offense can handle the mental pressure I might just elect to take the ball. No fumbles. No interceptions.
you know those are about the exact same expectations the kids at slc have for themselves, except for the no huddle stuff. slc does it every play. this should be the game of the week. i'm glad they don't make me, or any of us for that matter actually play, even crunked, or big fan either.

dragonsdaddy
11-29-2005, 07:40 PM
HAHAHA...That's pretty good...I have no idea what LoneStarPark is, but I would guess horse racing. Wait..You're talking about SLC people being there. It must be Greyhound racing then. That's a little more classy.
Do they sip hot tea as the sun sets?
lone star park is the local horse racing facilty in grand prairie. he's in charge of publicity i think.

RidgePride
11-29-2005, 07:47 PM

Ooooh I get it ;) When SLC plays their second team in the third quarter, Plano's 1st teamers will out dual them - Oh I get it. So then Plano will pick up the moral victory.

Plano chalks up a moral victory by winning the second half.

Thanks for the clarification Dragondaddy.

PESHfan
11-29-2005, 07:57 PM
I think Plano needs to receive the ball first. They need to do whatever it takes to put the first points on the board so that SLC feels the need to play catch-up. The longer Plano can stay in any lead, the better the momentum will be in their favor. If SLC gets the ball and scores an easy touchdown in less than a minute, it will take a lot more work for Plano to get ahead. Should be a really exciting game!

hollywood
11-29-2005, 08:06 PM
you know those are about the exact same expectations the kids at slc have for themselves, except for the no huddle stuff. slc does it every play. this should be the game of the week. i'm glad they don't make me, or any of us for that matter actually play, even crunked, or big fan either.

Thats right. If you come out trying to trick everyone, you are in for a long day. You send a wrong message to the other team, but more importantly to your own. Play intense, fundamental, classy football for 48 minutes no matter what the score is. Leave it all on the field and these kids will be able to look back and know they gave the best they had. No woulda, coulda, shoulda ... Most will not get another shot at a game like this. Play like one break is all you need. The next play is all that matters. You eat an elephant one bite at a time. It can't be about Southlake for Plano. It has to be about what Plano does or does not do. Fundamentals. Blocking tackling ... If the kids are focused on the fundamentals and not the awe of playing SLC, good things will happen. Easier said than done.

I will be on the SLC side this Saturday with a friend who is a Dragon fanatic. There's worse things!

Planowildcats160
11-29-2005, 08:10 PM
i don't know why no one is giving plano's offense any respect. Sure, we don't put up as many points as SLC...but the offense is still pretty dern good. Yeah, slc's defense is the best they've ever had. Thats great. They might be able to slow down plano's offense. But if we can put up 31 points on SGP....who clearly has a better defense than SLC (4 D1 recruits!!) ..... So give the offense some respect. if the defense can hold SLC to less than 35 points plano can win. And if the defense can do that plano will win. And i'll guarentee the SLC defense hasn't seen a runner like out QB mark sfikas. He isnt the fastest, but hes strong and never stops running. He powers through tackles. Expect him to put up major yardage. And then Justin Jordan will break the big runs. A few well placed passes, and our offense will be racking up the points. oh and did i mention that both of our fullbacks are great runners too? try and contain all of our running threats. Bet you cant- no one else has been able to so far

RidgePride
11-29-2005, 08:16 PM
i But if we can put up 31 points on SGP....who clearly has a better defense than SLC (4 D1 recruits!!) ..... So give the offense some respect. if the defense can hold SLC to less than 35 points plano can win.

SGP does not clearly have the better defense. They may have 4 better athletes but not a better defense.

Denton Ryan scored like 30 something against SGP too.

drgnbkr
11-29-2005, 08:19 PM
SGP does not clearly have the better defense. They may have 4 better athletes but not a better defense.

Denton Ryan scored like 30 something against SGP too.

And none on Carroll .....41-0 shutout...

WildcatFan
11-29-2005, 08:26 PM
Ooooh I get it ;) When SLC plays their second team in the third quarter, Plano's 1st teamers will out dual them - Oh I get it. So then Plano will pick up the moral victory.

something like

1st half - 1st teamers
SLC 42
Plano 0

2nd half SLC second teamers - Plano 1st teamers

SLC 10
Plano 17

Final score
SLC 52
Plano 17

Plano chalks up a moral victory by winning the second half.

Thanks for the clarification Dragondaddy.

Chokin Dogs

I can give you exaclty how this game is going to go and you can quote me so we can compare notes on Sat night Sun morning.

1Q
Plano wins the toss and defers. Sheffield kicks the ball through the uprights in your endzone SLC starts at the 20.

First play from scrimmage your QB is hurried and forced to throw a late ball where it is int'd by Victor Jones who caps off a 35 yd TD return.

Plano 7 SLC 0

Plano kicks again (need I mention thru the uprights) SLC ball on the 20.
After two first downs SLC finds itself driving in at the Plano 45 where the pitch is given to your back who is hit so hard by Matt Nicholson he sees stars and, by the way, fumbles. Plano ball at Plano's 40. We cap off this 5 minute drive with a Justin Jordan TD from the 7 yd line.

Plano 14 SLC 0

2Q

SLC starts from the 20 after a Sheffield 60 field goal, sorry kick off. SLC is able to pass the ball over 10 short plays to the Plano 25 but after 3 shots in the endzone is forced to kick a filed goal, which is blocked, by the cast of Ryan Burkhead and returned by him for a TD.

Plano 21 SLC 0

SLC once again starts from the 20 and is able to make an impressive Hail Mary to Renfro and is downed at the Plano 30 after two short incomplete passes and a run for no yardage SLC is forced to kick a 48 yd filed go and its good.

Plano 21 SLC 3

Plano fields the kick at the 10 and Justin Jordan returns the ball to the Plano 35 where an agonizing 18 play 8 1/2 minute drive is capped off by a 15 yard fade pass from Sfikas to Greg Rideaux.

Plano 28 SLC 3 Halftime

3Q

Plano returns the kick to the Plano 25 where another 17 play 7 minute drive is capped off by a 12 yd Sfikas mid-line run for a TD.

Plano 35 SLC 3

SLC goes to work from the 20. At 1st and 10 from the SLC 40 McElroy sustains a concussion after a ear-hole sack by Burkhead and Nicholson.

SLC's no name back up QB comes in 2nd and 17. Backup throws Int to Hendrix 1st and 10 Plano from the 50.

Plano ends the 3rd driving to the SLC 40 1st and 10 Plano.

4Q

Plano continues the drive eating tons of time on the clock when at the SLC 18 Sfikas opt pitches to Jordan for the TD run.

Plano 42 SLC 3

SLC deflated at his point goes 3 and out and Plano is able to get the ball back after the punt. Plano is unable to convert after 9 plays and is forced to punt. The punt takes a Plano bounce at the 3 where it is downed at the one.

The next play SLC's backup is sacked for a safety.

Plano 44 SLC 3

Plano ball 1st & 10 after the kick.

Plano draws out the rest of the quarter with 14 play drive and neals the last 2minutes.

10..9..8..7..6..5..4..3..2..1......Crowd goes wild.

Final
Plano 44 SLC 3

PESHfan
11-29-2005, 08:29 PM

Well, there you have it. The dragon will be slain on Saturday. Maybe they should just stay home and save the embarassment of it all, huh?

hollywood
11-29-2005, 08:34 PM
i don't know why no one is giving plano's offense any respect. Sure, we don't put up as many points as SLC...but the offense is still pretty dern good. Yeah, slc's defense is the best they've ever had. Thats great. They might be able to slow down plano's offense. But if we can put up 31 points on SGP....who clearly has a better defense than SLC (4 D1 recruits!!) ..... So give the offense some respect. if the defense can hold SLC to less than 35 points plano can win. And if the defense can do that plano will win. And i'll guarentee the SLC defense hasn't seen a runner like out QB mark sfikas. He isnt the fastest, but hes strong and never stops running. He powers through tackles. Expect him to put up major yardage. And then Justin Jordan will break the big runs. A few well placed passes, and our offense will be racking up the points. oh and did i mention that both of our fullbacks are great runners too? try and contain all of our running threats. Bet you cant- no one else has been able to so far

What Plano cannot not afford to do, IMHO, that they did against SGP is turn the ball over ... SLC will make you pay.

Its tough to want to make things happen and still have the discipline to pull the ball back down and take a sack rather than make a bad decision. SLC has an excellent defense. SGP relied heavily on their defense and special teams. To score sometimes. SLC does not have that problem.

i.e. Malcolm Williams #3 made a mistake just before halftime when SGP was ahead in that game. He was trying so hard to juke and move and score another kick return for a touchdown that he knocked the ball out of his own hands fumbling it to Plano. I think it was the very next play Plano went into the endzone with a pass that put Plano up at the half. Huge momentum shift. I cannot fault him for giving it everything he had, but he just might have over reached feeling he had to do it. I also think SGP fumbled in the third quarter down in close. Thats part of the game and I don't take anything away from Plano in causing it but those were a couple of short field touchdowns. I do believe Plano had a long drive later in the second half.

So Plano does need to force turnovers and go for the score just like in the SGP game. BUT, they need to not turn the ball over themselves.

dragonsdaddy
11-29-2005, 08:37 PM
Chokin Dogs

I can give you exaclty how this game is going to go and you can quote me so we can compare notes on Sat night Sun morning.

1Q
Plano wins the toss and defers. Sheffield kicks the ball through the uprights in your endzone SLC starts at the 20.

First play from scrimmage your QB is hurried and forced to throw a late ball where it is int'd by Victor Jones who caps off a 35 yd TD return.

Plano 7 SLC 0

After two first downs SLC finds itself driving in at the Plano 45 where the pitch is given to your back who is hit so hard by Matt Nicholson he sees stars and, by the way, fumbles. Plano ball at Plano's 40. We cap off this 5 minute drive with a Justin Jordan TD from the 7 yd line.

Plano 14 SLC 0

2Q

SLC starts from the 20 after a Sheffield 60 field goal, sorry kick off. SLC is able to pass the ball over 10 short plays to the Plano 25 but after 3 shots in the endzone is forced to kick a filed goal, which is blocked, by the cast of Ryan Burkhead and returned by him for a TD.

Plano 21 SLC 0

SLC once again starts from the 20 and is able to make an impressive Hail Mary to Renfro and is downed at the Plano 30 after two short incomplete passes and a run for no yardage SLC is forced to kick a 48 yd filed go and its good.

Plano 21 SLC 3

Plano fields the kick at the 10 and Justin Jordan returns the ball to the Plano 35 where an agonizing 18 play 8 1/2 minute drive is capped off by a 15 yard fade pass from Sfikas to Greg Rideaux.

Plano 28 SLC 3 Halftime

3Q

Plano returns the kick to the Plano 25 where another 17 play 7 minute drive is capped off by a 12 yd Sfikas mid-line run for a TD.

Plano 35 SLC 3

SLC goes to work from the 20. At 1st and 10 from the SLC 40 McElroy sustains a concussion after a ear-hole sack by Burkhead and Nicholson.

SLC's no name back up QB comes in 2nd and 17. Backup throws Int to Hendrix 1st and 10 Plano from the 50.

4Q

Plano continues the drive eating tons of time on the clock when at the SLC 18 Sfikas opt pitches to Jordan for the TD run.

Plano 42 SLC 3

SLC deflated at his point goes 3 and out and Plano is able to get the ball back after the punt. Plano is unable to convert after 9 plays and is forced to punt. The punt takes a Plano bounce at the 3 where it is downed at the one.

Plano 44 SLC 3

Plano draws out the rest of the quarter with 14 play drive and neals the last 2minutes.

Final
Plano 44 SLC 3
i didn't know there were any world class fantasy writers moonlighting out of plano?

hollywood
11-29-2005, 08:43 PM
Chokin Dogs

1Q

Plano 7 SLC 0

Plano 14 SLC 0

2Q

Plano 21 SLC 0

Plano 21 SLC 3

Plano 28 SLC 3 Halftime

3Q

Plano 35 SLC 3

4Q

Plano 42 SLC 3

Plano 44 SLC 3

Final
Plano 44 SLC 3

And then you wake up. And there is the scarecrow and the tin man and ...

WILDCAT27
11-29-2005, 08:45 PM
i didn't know there were any world class fantasy writers moonlighting out of plano?
me either haha
that would be quite the story though

Plano Wildcat Fan
11-30-2005, 01:26 AM
Brence does usually defer.........

YOUR RIGHT BRENCE DOES DEFER WHEN THE WEATHER ISN'T A FACTOR.

PLANO HAS TO SET THEIR TONE WITH THEIR DEFENSE FIRST AND FOREMOST. THAT IS THE ONLY WAY THEY WILL WIN ON SATURDAY.

PLANO KICKS OFF AND LETS IT ROLL.

THEY WILL CONTAIN SLC'S OFFENSE! NO DOUBT!!

PLANO MYSTIQUE IS ALIVE AND WELL.

THE PLANO NATION BELIEVES

Maroon Cathead
11-30-2005, 03:09 AM
Coach Brence will most likely defer if he wins the coin flip.

dragonsdaddy
11-30-2005, 07:56 AM
YOUR RIGHT BRENCE DOES DEFER WHEN THE WEATHER ISN'T A FACTOR.

PLANO HAS TO SET THEIR TONE WITH THEIR DEFENSE FIRST AND FOREMOST. THAT IS THE ONLY WAY THEY WILL WIN ON SATURDAY.

PLANO KICKS OFF AND LETS IT ROLL.

THEY WILL CONTAIN SLC'S OFFENSE! NO DOUBT!!

PLANO MYSTIQUE IS ALIVE AND WELL.

THE PLANO NATION BELIEVES
good luck with that doubting thing. i guess there has to be a first for everything.

crunked9
11-30-2005, 09:11 AM
onside kick! you have to take chances early!

SLCDad
11-30-2005, 09:41 AM
When they show up with faggity bleached hair! . . . offset by the macho black pants. The universe remains in balance.

crunked9
11-30-2005, 10:07 AM
SLC will blow out plano! They are the best team in the state! No doubt!

hoo2ers
11-30-2005, 10:34 AM
Take 2 Aspirins.

dragonsdaddy
11-30-2005, 10:43 AM
the most important thing for coach brence to do is exactly what he's doing. ignoring all this malarky and instead calling on the braintrust that exists inside the plano coaching clique-past and present.

bleedgreen
11-30-2005, 11:12 AM
hmmmmmmmm?? what do i do if i'm the Plano coach, and it's kickoff time against SLC?? that's an easy one----put my head between my legs and kiss my *** goodbye!!--LOL........

Plano Wildcat Fan
11-30-2005, 11:16 AM
hmmmmmmmm?? what do i do if i'm the Plano coach, and it's kickoff time against SLC?? that's an easy one----put my head between my legs and kiss my *** goodbye!!--LOL........

Nice!!:mad: Class all the way1

bleedgreen
11-30-2005, 11:20 AM
Nice!!:mad: Class all the way1
it was a joke, already...planoWildcat....have nothing but respect for Plano...just like i do for other certain teams, i too, have given Plano their props all season long...go back and check the threads.....it was just a joke..........

Plano Wildcat Fan
11-30-2005, 11:22 AM
it was a joke, already...planoWildcat....have nothing but respect for Plano...just like i do for other certain teams, i too, have given Plano their props all season long...go back and check the threads.....it was just a joke..........

OK it was a joke.

However, the closer you get to game time us Plano fans get cranky. :D

bleedgreen
11-30-2005, 11:26 AM
OK it was a joke.

However, the closer you get to game time us Plano fans get cranky. :D
i know, you guys are pumped, but yet, nervous..ahhhhh, i remember those feelings....wish i were now, BUT...................wish i could be there to see that game, brother---good luck to you guys..............

bleedgreen
11-30-2005, 09:04 PM
if i wasn't going to the big 12 championship saturday, this is one game that i would love to see........

berkner
12-01-2005, 04:17 AM
hm what would i do at kick off? i think i would prey

berkner
12-01-2005, 04:18 AM
deat god,
make me a bird,
so i can fly far,
far far away