PDA

View Full Version : Cypress Ridge vs. Copperas Cove

Pages : [1] 2

battlin'bulldawgs
11-22-2008, 08:09 PM
Cove vs Ridge. Its gonna be Sheppard & Co. vs Cove's stout D that's allowed 16 pts the last 3 games. Should be a great one

DawgsFanForLife
11-22-2008, 08:36 PM
Its not getting any easier but thank goodness for a stout defense. Hopefully the offense can provide some much needed scoring in this one. They manage the clock well but need to put points on the board and stop the fumbles. HINT, HINT!!!

DFFL

Covedawg
11-22-2008, 08:50 PM
Cove defense has only allowed 10 points in playoffs....Naaman Forest's TD was on a fumble return......Naaman's Jonathan Miller (Oklahoma bound) was held to 88 yards rushing with 61 of that on one play.......
All the defense has got to say is......NEXT

covefan74
11-22-2008, 08:54 PM
don't fumbles returned for points still count

coveaggie
11-22-2008, 09:21 PM
don't fumbles returned for points still count

Yea they do, but he is saying the Defense didn't allow that TD

NorthTexUmp
11-22-2008, 09:27 PM
heard this was Friday night in Waco

coveaggie
11-22-2008, 09:29 PM
yes sir. Not sure whether in WISD or Floyd Casey

Ailani
11-22-2008, 10:02 PM
yes sir. Not sure whether in WISD or Floyd Casey

I thought I heard Coach Welch say last night it was at WISD. Didn't say what time though. Hopefully it's during the day so that it would cut down my wife's shopping spree on black Friday. LOL

Ailani
11-22-2008, 10:30 PM
I thought I heard Coach Welch say last night it was at WISD. Didn't say what time though. Hopefully it's during the day so that it would cut down my wife's shopping spree on black Friday. LOL

No such luck. It's Friday night at 7:30 at WISD. Oh well, I least I save on gas from not having to drive to Corsicana.

It sounds like the Dawg defense will have their hands full with another high-powered offense. Strap 'em up boys and get after it Friday night.

Hammeroftruth
11-22-2008, 10:49 PM
I was able to catch the Lufkin-Cy Ridge game on-line. Sounds like Cy Ridge has a heck of a QB. Any thoughts?

DawgsFanForLife
11-22-2008, 11:17 PM
Ya here is my thoughts....Can our offense actually score some points this game without relying on the big daddy package? We have a good offense but need to get the scores and hold on to the ball. Control the clock with the offense, the defense will get the job done but not if they are on the field for 45 minutes of the 48.

Dawgs, do you want this one?

DFFL

Eldawgo
11-23-2008, 06:27 AM
Look for the offense to be slightly better. I believe Greene is getting the experience each time he's out there, and maybe even a little more confidence. He really needs to be a little smarter on when to throw the ball away and when to break and run. He's a good athlete but needs to learn to process what's happening a little quicker, and I think he's learning that. I look for him to be improved this coming week. I'm just happy to see all the Dawgs playing like they want it! Should be a good game. We have faced many good athletes and have had an answer for each of them. Let's hope that continues as I think it will. Good job to the coaches as well, they are not being outcoached and are coming up with some smart ideas. Get'r done!

covedawgfan
11-23-2008, 07:30 AM
Agree with Eldawgo, Greene is getting more experienced with each series he plays, good job Cove Coaching staff on teaching him. It seems also that the offense is also adjusting to a new QB and adapting to his strengths and weaknesses. Cy Ridge's QB has been the real deal since the beginning of the season, he was picked to be one of the top QBs in the state before the season started and has proved his ability throughout the season. It will be another tough test for the Cove's Defense, but the D has stood up to tests very well. I look for the coaches to have this Dawg team ready to play. Go Dawgs, Get TUIT.

TigerHat
11-23-2008, 08:03 AM
I was able to catch the Lufkin-Cy Ridge game on-line. Sounds like Cy Ridge has a heck of a QB. Any thoughts?

6'2" - very fast, elusive, strong arm - he is a load. What makes him effective is that he is not a one man show. Ridge has a lot of weapons a defense has to worry about - and they are spread all over the field. That makes it hard to concentrate just on stopping him.

i think this game comes down to this: can the Cy Ridge defense stop the Cove offense? Ridge plays in a district where they essentially play Arena football; everyone has so much offense that it looks like no one has any defense. Ought to be an interesting game.

Primetime254
11-23-2008, 08:44 AM
6'2" - very fast, elusive, strong arm - he is a load. What makes him effective is that he is not a one man show. Ridge has a lot of weapons a defense has to worry about - and they are spread all over the field. That makes it hard to concentrate just on stopping him.

i think this game comes down to this: can the Cy Ridge defense stop the Cove offense? Ridge plays in a district where they essentially play Arena football; everyone has so much offense that it looks like no one has any defense. Ought to be an interesting game.

Maybe true, but if we stop Russell we dismantle all of your other weapons, he is the catalyst of the team.

Primetime254
11-23-2008, 08:45 AM
Maybe one of the toughest games to predict. Coves D is amazing, but then again Cys O is incredible. Ive been kinda worried about the dawgs offense...who hasnt? But when your defense plays like ours does, we dont need to score that much, BUT a little insurance would be nice! :) Its gonna be a shootout, cant wait!!

Copperas Cove-21
Cy Ridge-20
(missed PAT)

DawgDave
11-23-2008, 10:44 AM
Cove's D has always done pretty well against a spread offense.
So you say their QB is fast? Our OL and outside LB's are probably faster.
In the last few games we are averaging 6 sacks on the QB.
They play in an "Arena League" district??
That means they don't see running games very often. Cove can, and will, run, run and run. Byrd, Wright, Greene and Chancellor are plenty fast enough. The only thing stopping Cove's offense is Cove. Too many fumbles.
I look for a good game which, IMO, will be much higher scoring than last week's game against GNF.
Dawgs take this one, 34-21.

Primetime254
11-23-2008, 11:13 AM
So you say their QB is fast? Our OL and outside LB's are probably faster.In the last few games we are averaging 6 sacks on the QB.
That means they don't see running games very often. Cove can, and will, run, run and run. Byrd, Wright, Greene and Chancellor are plenty fast enough. The only thing stopping Cove's offense is Cove. Too many fumbles.
I look for a good game which, IMO, will be much higher scoring than last week's game against GNF.

uh...there is only a select few in the country that are faster that there QB...

C-DUB
11-23-2008, 11:23 AM

Once Russell gets loose in the secondary it's like trying to put the Genie back
in the bottle.;)

Don'tcallmeFrancis
11-23-2008, 12:41 PM

Thank you Primetime. I hate it when people start making crazy statements about the opposing team. Sheppard is only one of the most highly recruited dual threat QB's in the nation (the number 8 player in the nation on Rivals top 100 list), commited to LSU, and someone makes a comment that our OL is faster than him. Heck, Robert Griffin, who we all thought was pretty good was only ranked # 42 on the Rivals Texas Top 100 list. Sheppard is rated as the NUMBER 1 dual threat QB in the nation.

If you are "truly" a Dawg fan and supporter don't say things that will wind up on the Cy-Ridge locker room wall all week and add to their resolve to play harder.

I think Cove will fare well, but it will be another war just like this past week. To think otherwise is a pipe dream (crack pipe).

Eldawgo
11-23-2008, 01:31 PM
WOW! there are so many things to consider. Probably most important is the preparation the coaching staff puts the Dawgs thru this week. I think of the well talked of players such as the QB from Texarkana who was ranked #1 qb recruit in the state of Texas, committed to Michigan, and Jerqueez Rogers, highly recruited by many top programs (USC could'nt even stop him), Lache Seastrunck who is an awesome and highly recruited RB from Temple. These are just a few of the studs Cove was able to contain and take them out of their game. The Dawgs are good at that! But then, I think of the kid from Alamo Heights who was elusive, fast and a good passer. He played us well and we were in a Dawgfight! We lost that game but I think to this day we would have won if only not for the unexpected snap where Heights recovered the loose ball and put the game away. I honestly have to say what I said last Friday....I would take the Dawgs to a 4 Qtr football game anywhere, any day, as I consider thier level of conditioning a major factor in this game along with the ability to defend. I believe it's gonna be a fight with the Dawgs coming out on top if they take care of the ball! Get'r done..........

UCmaroons
11-23-2008, 02:48 PM

i hope u realize that statement might be one of the most ignorant statements i have EVER heard

Don'tcallmeFrancis
11-23-2008, 03:43 PM
i hope u realize that statement might be one of the most ignorant statements i have EVER heard

AMEN to that maroons!

FiberDAWG15
11-23-2008, 04:19 PM
Don't let the words of few get in the way of what TRUE Dawg fans believe. This young man has proven that he is a very good football player. Until you see him play in person you can't believe just how good he really is!

Primetime254
11-23-2008, 04:29 PM
Russell is not only a great runner, when Cy Ridge is in a close game, he passes the ball very well for many yards. If i was a coach, i would play this guy like they have played Daryn Alves from Mckinney Boyd, let him get his yards but just keep the team out of the endzone.

FiberDAWG15
11-23-2008, 04:45 PM
Russell is not only a great runner, when Cy Ridge is in a close game, he passes the ball very well for many yards. If i was a coach, i would play this guy like they have played Daryn Alves from Mckinney Boyd, let him get his yards but just keep the team out of the endzone.
Not a bad idea,but unlike Alves, Russell doesn't slam his helmet on the ground and pout when things don't go his way. From what I have seen and heard this young man keeps his head up and moves on to the next play.

DawgDave
11-23-2008, 04:51 PM

And Robert Griffin, former Cove QB and now Baylor's QB, is one of them (state records in the 110M, 300M hurdles and national record in the 400M hurdles) and Griffin wasn't even the fastest man on the Dawgs last year.
Two that were faster are back playing this year.

DawgDave
11-23-2008, 04:52 PM
Thank you Primetime. I hate it when people start making crazy statements about the opposing team. Sheppard is only one of the most highly recruited dual threat QB's in the nation (the number 8 player in the nation on Rivals top 100 list), commited to LSU, and someone makes a comment that our OL is faster than him. Heck, Robert Griffin, who we all thought was pretty good was only ranked # 42 on the Rivals Texas Top 100 list. Sheppard is rated as the NUMBER 1 dual threat QB in the nation.

If you are "truly" a Dawg fan and supporter don't say things that will wind up on the Cy-Ridge locker room wall all week and add to their resolve to play harder.

I think Cove will fare well, but it will be another war just like this past week. To think otherwise is a pipe dream (crack pipe).

Griffin was the #3 rated dual-threat QB in the country last year. Ohio State's Terrell Pryor was ranked #1, and Griffin is running circles around him this year.

Bass
11-23-2008, 05:05 PM
And Robert Griffin, former Cove QB and now Baylor's QB, is one of them (state records in the 110M, 300M hurdles and national record in the 400M hurdles) and Griffin wasn't even the fastest man on the Dawgs last year.

Geeze man, you're just making it worse for yourself.

DawgDave
11-23-2008, 05:12 PM
Geeze man, you're just making it worse for yourself.
I haven't meant to bash your QB, only point out that over the years Cove's biggest asset has been its' quickness and speed. They get to the ball quick.
I'm sure your QB is the real deal. But I notice your D is not - having given up over 40 points twice this season. You can light up the scoreboard to be sure, but the other team also seems to score frequently.
Should be a good game. Didn't mean for this to turn into a trash talking session.

Favpack
11-23-2008, 05:13 PM
I like the Dawgs in this one - but anyone thinking they can shut down Shepard is dreaming. Without Russell Shepard... I see Ridge as a 3 win team. Their main rb is hurt, so it will be all Shepard all the time - very hard to defend.

Ridge's D is decent, but not dynamic. Should be a great one.

mcamp002
11-23-2008, 05:21 PM
Once Russell gets loose in the secondary it's like trying to put the Genie back
in the bottle.;)

I listened to the TRSN broadcast of the Lufkin-Cy Ridge game...it was an awesome job by Cy Ridge...Congrats....the one thing that stood out in my mind as the announcers spoke at the end of the game was that Cy Ridge QB is most deadly running the ball to the outside and that teams must put pressure on him from the outside because he is not a strong runner getting through the pack in the middle. Its the only game I have heard or seen Cy Ridge in so don't know how true that is...BUT...if it is true...Cove will likely do to him what they did to Miller from Naaman-Forest on Friday...keep him to under a hundred yards for the first time this season! It is definately going to be a good game. I think it will be a little higher scoring than last week but could easily go either way. Good Luck Dawgs!

C-DUB
11-23-2008, 05:26 PM
Very few if any Ridge posters on here. So the Dawgs have free reign on posts
here.:ninja:

UCmaroons
11-23-2008, 05:31 PM
I listened to the TRSN broadcast of the Lufkin-Cy Ridge game...it was an awesome job by Cy Ridge...Congrats....the one thing that stood out in my mind as the announcers spoke at the end of the game was that Cy Ridge QB is most deadly running the ball to the outside and that teams must put pressure on him from the outside because he is not a strong runner getting through the pack in the middle. Its the only game I have heard or seen Cy Ridge in so don't know how true that is...BUT...if it is true...Cove will likely do to him what they did to Miller from Naaman-Forest on Friday...keep him to under a hundred yards for the first time this season! It is definately going to be a good game. I think it will be a little higher scoring than last week but could easily go either way. Good Luck Dawgs!

cove needs to watch film from ridges games vs humble and cy-creek

those r their only two losses, humble held shepard to 38 yds rushing and creek held him to 50, and ridge only score 13, and 21 in those games

stopping him can be done

mcamp002
11-23-2008, 06:09 PM
cove needs to watch film from ridges games vs humble and cy-creek

those r their only two losses, humble held shepard to 38 yds rushing and creek held him to 50, and ridge only score 13, and 21 in those games

stopping him can be done

Well who knows what films they will send to Cove to watch...but Cove's Defensive ends and Outside linebackers are pretty good at containing...don't often let guys get around the outside on them.

DawgDave
11-23-2008, 06:52 PM
Well who knows what films they will send to Cove to watch...but Cove's Defensive ends and Outside linebackers are pretty good at containing...don't often let guys get around the outside on them.
That's the exact point I was trying to make when all the Cy Ridge fans called me a maroon.

mcamp002
11-23-2008, 06:59 PM
That's the exact point I was trying to make when all the Cy Ridge fans called me a maroon.

And anyone who has seen Cove's defense play understands that...that Sheppard kid is pretty quick...probably comparable to Robert Griffin...but I do believe we will do a good job of containing him and Cove does an OUTSTANDING job of moving towards the sideline to converge on the ball if they are getting around the outside! One thing most don't realize is that Cove's D is real good about playing their positions that's why we have been good against the run teams and the pass teams this year!

UCmaroons
11-23-2008, 07:02 PM

track speed is different than game speed, and i think shepard is quicker and faster when he is on a football field. and shepard isnt the fastest person on ridges offense

C-DUB
11-23-2008, 07:04 PM
track speed is different than game speed, and i think shepard is quicker and faster when he is on a football field. and shepard isnt the fastest person on ridges offense

Who is faster?:confused:

UCmaroons
11-23-2008, 07:06 PM
Who is faster?:confused:

a healthy lipscomb has better straight ahead speed

but no one can match shepards quickness

mcamp002
11-23-2008, 07:06 PM

You are correct...track speed is different than game speed. But one thing that Miller (LSU Commit from Naaman-Forest) said after the game Friday...Cove's defense was the fastest defense they have played against all season. The game films just don't show how quick they really are.

NorthTexUmp
11-23-2008, 07:08 PM

please, please stop!

ds, cchs '76

UCmaroons
11-23-2008, 07:17 PM
You are correct...track speed is different than game speed. But one thing that Miller (LSU Commit from Naaman-Forest) said after the game Friday...Cove's defense was the fastest defense they have played against all season. The game films just don't show how quick they really are.

im not saying that they dont have a great defense, my argument is that claiming that shepard is slower than coves OL and LB units is not only ridiculous but shows an ungodly amount of arrogance.

Primetime254
11-23-2008, 07:22 PM

Oklahoma commit, and the coach said that, not Miller

mcamp002
11-23-2008, 07:33 PM
Oklahoma commit, and the coach said that, not Miller

You are correct...he is an Oklahoma commit...but the article I read had quoted Miller as saying that...but it does sound like a coach comment.

mcamp002
11-23-2008, 07:34 PM
im not saying that they dont have a great defense, my argument is that claiming that shepard is slower than coves OL and LB units is not only ridiculous but shows an ungodly amount of arrogance.

Well...I don't think arrogance is the right term...and that is just one person's opinion and does not reflect the opinion of the entire Cove fan base and certainly not the team.

UCmaroons
11-23-2008, 08:14 PM
Well...I don't think arrogance is the right term...and that is just one person's opinion and does not reflect the opinion of the entire Cove fan base and certainly not the team.

i was only refering to that one person...the rest of u seem to have confidence in your defense as well as respect towards the undeniable ability of shepard

which is the mindset u should have. remember lufkin has a great defense too and shepard had his best career rushing game

mcamp002
11-23-2008, 08:27 PM
i was only refering to that one person...the rest of u seem to have confidence in your defense as well as respect towards the undeniable ability of shepard

which is the mindset u should have. remember lufkin has a great defense too and shepard had his best career rushing game

No doubt, I listened to the game...Lufkin made alot of mistakes that CY Ridge capitolized on...and that definately wins ball games...Shepard is definately a talented athlete and this will no doubt be one of the more exciting games Cove has played this year...this can easily go either way!

UCmaroons
11-23-2008, 09:00 PM
No doubt, I listened to the game...Lufkin made alot of mistakes that CY Ridge capitolized on...and that definately wins ball games...Shepard is definately a talented athlete and this will no doubt be one of the more exciting games Cove has played this year...this can easily go either way!

fewest turnovers is the key in this one

txtaximom
11-23-2008, 09:27 PM
I have only missed one Cy-Ridge game this year. Shepard is amazing to watch....quite impressive. I know nothing about Copperas Cove. The game last night was really good. Shepard was on and Lufkin made several turnovers which Ridge capitalized on. Go Rams!!!

rmwestjr
11-23-2008, 11:04 PM
There ya have it. Contain Sheppard and you severely hurt Cy Ridge's offense. You can't win in the playoffs with only one star. It takes a team. Cove tried it last year against against Lamar when Vital was hurt and they came up short. It may be OK in regular season , but in the playoffs the competition is much stiffer.

Sheppard is the real deal and Cove will be prepared for him. If that is good enough, it remains to be seen. The coaching staff is good at making adjustments for each team they play before the game and during the contest.

Go Dawgs!

Ailani
11-23-2008, 11:08 PM
I haven't seen Shephard play in person, but I've seen some highlight clips of him and our defense has its work cut out for it. The offense has done just enough to win in the last two weeks, with the defense doing most of the work in shutting down our opponents in the second half.

Cy Ridge is definetly the best team Cove's faced so far this year and Shephard the best player. I'm looking forward to the game and I agree with the posters that whoever makes the least mistakes will likely win this game.

Go Dawgs!!

Hammeroftruth
11-23-2008, 11:42 PM
None of what happened last year matters. The Dawgs need to stay focused on this year only. If Cove's defense can stop the big play and contain Cy-Ridge's QB, I believe Cove will win. If not, then Cy-Ridge will win. I'm looking forward to a great game between two very talented programs. Go Dawgs!

covedawgfan
11-24-2008, 07:01 AM
There sure seem to be more posters on this site than usual. But that means interest in this game is high, and that is good. I read about Shepard in DC Texas Football at the beginning of the season was impressed and thought I hope we don't have to face him in the Playoffs. Well, Cove has to face him. Now I look forward to watching this talented QB play. I have confindence in the Cove Coaching staff to prepare a defense that will give Cove a chance to be competetive in this game. I just hope both teams play to their ability and bad things don't happen (i.e. penalities that were called that weren't or penalities that were not called that were) I really don't think refs should win the game for either team. Therefore, I am as always highly in favor of the Dawgs, but I agree this will be another great game between two good teams. Cove's offense needs to continue to step up and score because I am sure Cy Ridge will score. Go Dawgs, Get TUIT.

cyfallsbooster2
11-24-2008, 07:55 AM

Now who could call this young man a "maroon"?

And just so everyone is clear, there are no Ridge posters on here. Especially KATYhat and KATYbass07.:ninja:

mcamp002
11-24-2008, 08:05 AM

And just so everyone is clear, there are no Ridge posters on here. Especially KATYhat and KATYbass07.:ninja:

Well invite them on over...would love to hear their take on things!

Favpack
11-24-2008, 08:12 AM

??

Your lb's are faster than Shephard? Mmmm, yeah, whatever Dave - just get some help quickly.

LPPACK09
11-24-2008, 09:10 AM
Even with Cove's defense being a good defense, they will not be able to contain Russel Shepard for the entire game. Lufkin had one of the top defense's in the state and he ended up gaining 323 yards rushing. Not to mention he only had 11 carries for 33 yards until the final 4 seconds of the 1st half when he broke free for like a 61 yard touchdown. The guy is a BEAST. Cove loses this one.

CCDawgs
11-24-2008, 09:10 AM
??

Your lb's are faster than Shephard? Mmmm, yeah, whatever Dave - just get some help quickly.
i agree!!!:notworthy

CCDawgs
11-24-2008, 09:11 AM
Even with Cove's defense being a good defense, they will not be able to contain Russel Shepard for the entire game. Lufkin had one of the top defense's in the state and he ended up gaining 323 yards rushing. Not to mention he only had 11 carries for 33 yards until the final 4 seconds of the 1st half when he broke free for like a 61 yard touchdown. The guy is a BEAST. Cove loses this one.
All we have to do is score more points than them. And im pretty sure our offense is better than Lufkins. :D

bobcatfan
11-24-2008, 09:53 AM

:laugh

HomeofChampions'06
11-24-2008, 10:08 AM
I pick Cove by 8 in this one.

Copperas Cove 38
Cypress Ridge 30

I have been very impressed with Cy Ridge in the playoffs so far, but for me it still comes down to when I saw them play Cy Falls at the Berry Center. They just didn't really impress me even though they put up 60+ points. Both teams continually had serious coaching errors, terrible play selections, and overall just looked mediocre on offense and defense. I know a lot has changed since then but it was such a chaotic game that I can't get out of my head.

If Ridge wins, it will be because Hasan Lipscomb has a 200 yard game on the ground. He is one of the greatest running backs I've seen all year. Russell Shepard is wonderful, don't get me wrong, but the real weapon in my mind is Lipscomb.

cyfallsbooster2
11-24-2008, 10:15 AM
:laugh

Hey, bcf! What a great oppurtunity to tell you that I really like y'all's all maroon uni's. They really look sharp.;)

cyfallsbooster2
11-24-2008, 10:19 AM
This should be a very good game. CC has been highly touted and regarded all season long. It will be a big challenge for Ridge again. Ridge has been surviving on sheer will over the past 2 weeks.

dada
11-24-2008, 10:21 AM
Cy-Ridge vs Lufkin:
http://www.athletesconnection.com/content/view/3689/10079/

Cy-Ridge vs Langham Creek:
http://www.athletesconnection.com/content/view/3591/10079/

Cy-Ridge vs Cy-Springs:
http://www.athletesconnection.com/content/view/3544/10079/

Cy-Ridge vs. Cy-Fair:
http://www.athletesconnection.com/content/view/3420/10079/

Cy-Ridge vs. Cy-Creek:
http://www.athletesconnection.com/content/view/3374/10079/

Cy-Ridge vs. Cy-Woods:
http://www.athletesconnection.com/content/view/3331/10079/

rmwestjr
11-24-2008, 10:22 AM
You can watch some of Sheppard's highlights in Rivals.com. He is impressive. He has great lateral movements and reacts quickly. He has a good sense of when holes will open and close.

It will be a matter of containment and good tackling techniques to keep Sheppard at bay.

smw358
11-24-2008, 10:33 AM

Probably the wisest post I have seen in a long time. ;)

Favpack
11-24-2008, 10:34 AM
Shepard is the best running qb I've seen since Reggie McNeal in 2001, and his style is totally different. He IS a glider - you understand what that means after you see him.

Having said that - Lufkin's gameplan imploded after halftime and it was more what we didn't do than what he did.

A good D can contain him - players trying to make a huge play or hit will get beat by him 99.9% of the time - even a great defender.

Containment.

HomeofChampions'06
11-24-2008, 10:47 AM
Shepard is the best running qb I've seen since Reggie McNeal in 2001, and his style is totally different. He IS a glider - you understand what that means after you see him.

Having said that - Lufkin's gameplan imploded after halftime and it was more what we didn't do than what he did.

A good D can contain him - players trying to make a huge play or hit will get beat by him 99.9% of the time - even a great defender.

Containment.

It's his senior year. It's his time to shine. Katy beat Vince Young 3 straight years ('98,'99,'00) but once it got to be his senior year there was only so much containing you could do. Having watched him his entire high school career I can say that Vince single handedly is the greatest high school football player I have ever seen. He took all the snaps, including punts...he returned kicks and started at safety. He took over the game in 2001 and destroyed a Katy defense. Will Shepard do the same this week against Copperas Cove?

I wish both teams the best of luck in this one. I gotta pull for my buddy Robert Griffin's alma mater.

dada
11-24-2008, 10:48 AM
http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid823425601/bclid894333136/bctid1859721078

Covedawg
11-24-2008, 11:02 AM
My turn to chime in on this board...
I just watch highlights of the Lufkin game (THANKS for the links), then some Russell Sheppard highlights on youtube and rivals.....

He is definitely a threat both ways...looks to be very fast....but the thing that stood out most are missed tackles, most of the highlights of games played a CFISD field displayed horrible tackling skills.....

I think that the Cove defense can for the most part contain the running, what I would fear is his arm.....In what I saw, he has the ability scramble for enough time so that his receivers can get open, and he appears to have a very strong arm, and his receivers look very capable of catching the ball

This has all the makings of a shootout

35-31 tosh up on winner

mcamp002
11-24-2008, 11:21 AM

Well I would debate the defense issue with you...according to the latest rankings which also take play-off games into account (See thread on this site titled UPDATED RANKINGS) Lufkin's defense is ranked #33 in 5A and Cove's defense is ranked #9 in 5A...I believe Cy Ridge will be up against a better defense this week. Cove has never contained superstars on EVERY play...and you don't have to. You just have to keep him out of the endzone! :D

cyfallsbooster2
11-24-2008, 11:28 AM
My turn to chime in on this board...
I just watch highlights of the Lufkin game (THANKS for the links), then some Russell Sheppard highlights on youtube and rivals.....

He is definitely a threat both ways...looks to be very fast....but the thing that stood out most are missed tackles, most of the highlights of games played a CFISD field displayed horrible tackling skills.....

I think that the Cove defense can for the most part contain the running, what I would fear is his arm.....In what I saw, he has the ability scramble for enough time so that his receivers can get open, and he appears to have a very strong arm, and his receivers look very capable of catching the ball

This has all the makings of a shootout

35-31 tosh up on winner

16-5A (considered a very good defensive district) was saying the same thing BEFORE the first round games this year. Lufkin ain't no slouch either.

Maybe the "poor tackling" has more to do with the quality of athletes we have on our offenses making people look silly in their attempt to tackle. Maybe 15-5A defenses aren't as bad as some Katy and Pearland posters have led the state to believe.;)

covedawgfan
11-24-2008, 11:47 AM
Wow! I'm impressed with amount of posts concerning this game, I haven't seen that many posts for other games Cove's played. I guess Cy Ridge has a larger fan base on this site than other teams have had, and it sure looks like the Cove fan base has grown. I usually know who the home team is but I haven't heard who is in this game. Anyone know? Thanks in advance of a reply. Go Dawgs, Get TUIT!

KatyTigerDad0407
11-24-2008, 12:12 PM
Cove has beaten only one team with a winning record - GNF(who only beat 2 teams with a winning record)

CyRidge has beaten 3 teams with winning records; but they always give up a ton of points.

They shut out and 0-9 JV team
gave up 14 points to 1-8 CyFair
gave up 21 to 3-6 CyFalls
gave up 41 to 3-7 Langham Creek

Since the playoffs, Cove has scored fewer points but has allowed way fewer points. Ridge is still allowing points.

I'm going to say Cove defense plays mistake free or allows only one turnover since that's what their playoff record demonstrates. They will score more than 21 points if there defense plays that way. In doing so it will keep Ridge's offense off the field.

I predict a final score -

Cove 32
Ridge 21

Russel Shepperd is gonna get his points. There's nothing you can do about that. What you can do is not give him the ball on turnovers. I will go further out on a limb with this statement and say that if Cove does not win this game playing in Corsicana - shame on you bulldogs!;)

bobcatfan
11-24-2008, 12:19 PM
Hey, bcf! What a great oppurtunity to tell you that I really like y'all's all maroon uni's. They really look sharp.;)

Well thank you Booster. By the way, I bought you the new Maroon 5 CD for Christmas this year:Music

covedawgfan
11-24-2008, 12:26 PM
Good assessment KatyTigerDad, just minor point of information, the game will be played in Waco ISD not Corsacana. Other than that your information was interesting and I hope an accurate prediciton.

Covedawg
11-24-2008, 12:48 PM
Cove has beaten only one team with a winning record - GNF(who only beat 2 teams with a winning record)

CyRidge has beaten 3 teams with winning records; but they always give up a ton of points.

Since the playoffs, Cove has scored fewer points but has allowed way fewer points. Ridge is still allowing points.

I'm going to say Cove defense plays mistake free or allows only one turnover since that's what their playoff record demonstrates. They will score more than 21 points if there defense plays that way. In doing so it will keep Ridge's offense off the field.

Cove 32
Ridge 21

Russel Shepperd is gonna get his points. There's nothing you can do about that. What you can do is not give him the ball on turnovers. I will go further out on a limb with this statement and say that if Cove does not win this game playing in Corsicana - shame on you bulldogs!;)

Actual Cove has beaten 2 Teams with a winning record (Waco High 6-5)

Cove fans consider Waco ISD as "Dawg Pound North" it is really like a home game for us, Jack Welch must be the master of the coin flip, last year we had 4 playoff games in Waco and now 3 this year......I'm surprised that anyone would agree to play Cove at WISD
I believe Cove's record there is something like 13-3, and never lost a playoff game there

I agree with Covedawgfan, this is the most I've ever seen posted on a Cove game on this site......can't wait till Friday night

Favpack
11-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Probably because it will be a very intriguing Reg. Semi match-up -- very aggressive D vs. the best player in Texas by a mile.

KatyTigerDad0407
11-24-2008, 01:04 PM
I agree with Covedawgfan, this is the most I've ever seen posted on a Cove game on this site......can't wait till Friday nightI went to the Lufkin-Cove game a few years back in Waco, when Lufkin had the now A&M senior J. Lane. I watched Cove go down to 4a and back up to 5a. Trust me, I'm not the only one who knows that Cove is out there. Since ya'll got the Friday game you can expect these eyes to be in the stands:

Mansfield (8-4), Cedar Hill (11-1), Arlington Bowie (11-1), Wylie (10-2), Lake Highlands (10-2), Klein Oak (9-1), Katy (9-3), Dickinson (9-2), Houston Madison (8-2), La Porte (7-4), Smithson Valley (11-1), SA Southwest (9-3), SA Reagan (10-2), and Los Fresnos (12-0)

Since they are all playing on Sat. and this is the only D2 game on Friday, they will send their peps.

Ailani
11-24-2008, 01:26 PM

Cove 32
Ridge 21

I agree. No one is going to stop Shepperd. The key is containment. Kind of like how teams played Robert Griffin last year. For that matter, this year also. Should be a great game and a great atmosphere.

cyfallsbooster2
11-24-2008, 01:30 PM
I went to the Lufkin-Cove game a few years back in Waco, when Lufkin had the now A&M senior J. Lane. I watched Cove go down to 4a and back up to 5a. Trust me, I'm not the only one who knows that Cove is out there. Since ya'll got the Friday game you can expect these eyes to be in the stands:

Mansfield (8-4), Cedar Hill (11-1), Arlington Bowie (11-1), Wylie (10-2), Lake Highlands (10-2), Klein Oak (9-1), Katy (9-3), Dickinson (9-2), Houston Madison (8-2), La Porte (7-4), Smithson Valley (11-1), SA Southwest (9-3), SA Reagan (10-2), and Los Fresnos (12-0)

Since they are all playing on Sat. and this is the only D2 game on Friday, they will send their peps.

Looking at your signature, what position does she play?

:D

KatyTigerDad0407
11-24-2008, 01:37 PM
Looking at your signature, what position does she play?She worked on video and film for Coach Johnston while at Katy. After she graduated she worked for him at Houston Christian while she began her college career. Coach Johnston picked up the phone and got her in the program at Texas State when she was ready to transfer. He has played a tremendous role in my daughter's adult life and is responsible in part for all three rings.

NorthTexUmp
11-24-2008, 01:40 PM
who will be home team ???

Ailani
11-24-2008, 01:50 PM
who will be home team ???

Cove

d-train
11-24-2008, 01:55 PM

He has had horrible passing stats and he isn't big like Pryor, VY or Reid. He better put on some weight to run the ball in D1.

battlin'bulldawgs
11-24-2008, 01:56 PM
I went to the Lufkin-Cove game a few years back in Waco, when Lufkin had the now A&M senior J. Lane. I watched Cove go down to 4a and back up to 5a. Trust me, I'm not the only one who knows that Cove is out there. Since ya'll got the Friday game you can expect these eyes to be in the stands:

J.Lane graduated in '05 and the game against Lufkin was in '05 with the '06 class. Cove has also only lost 2 games at WISD Stadium. In '03 31-13 to Waco and '07 27-21 to Waco in OT

bobcatfan
11-24-2008, 01:56 PM
She worked on video and film for Coach Johnston while at Katy. After she graduated she worked for him at Houston Christian while she began her college career. Coach Johnston picked up the phone and got her in the program at Texas State when she was ready to transfer. He has played a tremendous role in my daughter's adult life and is responsible in part for all three rings.

That's awesome. I've heard a couple of other stories along those same lines with Coach Johnston.

dada
11-24-2008, 01:57 PM
He has had horrible passing stats and he isn't big like Pryor, VY or Reid. He better put on some weight to run the ball in D1.

104-191-4int's 1616 yds. 17 TD

I've seen worse QB's

bobcatfan
11-24-2008, 02:00 PM

He will put on weight, and I can tell you that right now he is a better QB than what LSU is starting today:eek:

Ailani
11-24-2008, 02:44 PM
He will put on weight, and I can tell you that right now he is a better QB than what LSU is starting today:eek:

Touche!!! LOL

Covedawg
11-24-2008, 03:29 PM
He might get to start as a freshman

Baylor started Griffin after the in the second game, he's having a heck of a freshman year. Future might be bright for Baylor by the time he's a junior

CCDawgs
11-24-2008, 03:42 PM

We didnt play against J. Lane! That was the year before and im glad lol

HtownHacker
11-24-2008, 04:45 PM

russel is a much better thrower this year than he was last. i hope hassan has a little more lateral movement this week. we need another weapon on offense if we're gonna' keep advancing.

Ridge0405
11-24-2008, 05:29 PM
I don't think anyone understands that Shepard can pass the ball too. His arm is very good and no one respects that fact. So go ahead and contain him to the outside and run blitz because he will throw all over the field. If Copperas is going to win this game they have to make plays and stay at home on all plays if not, the play action is going to tear them apart. And dont forget about Lipscomb, another D1 commit, he is pretty strong and fast.

Primetime254
11-24-2008, 06:39 PM
I don't think anyone understands that Shepard can pass the ball too. His arm is very good and no one respects that fact. So go ahead and contain him to the outside and run blitz because he will throw all over the field. If Copperas is going to win this game they have to make plays and stay at home on all plays if not, the play action is going to tear them apart. And dont forget about Lipscomb, another D1 commit, he is pretty strong and fast.

I dont think its that we dont understand, its just he is a run first QB, so we have to contain that.
I would rather him pass on Cove than run on Cove, i think everyone would agree.
He might get his yards, but Cove knows how to keep them out of the endzone.

And why is this game in Waco and not in Round Rock or somewhere else? Seems like Cove will have the home field advantage.

DrTallo
11-24-2008, 06:54 PM
Alright, I don't know how the stamina of the defense is, but Cy-Ridge is mainly a 2nd half team. Ive been watching games for two years now since my cousin Allan Moran is the center, and they just go nuts in the second half so I just want to know from all these cove fans if they will be able to keep together every minute of the game until the final buzzer goes off? I really doubt that they can go 4 quarters with trying to keep up with him(Shepard). He has great endurance and run all night long. He will get them tired and once that happens its going to be a done game. They will easily win by two scores if Hasan (Minnesota commit) comes to play. I just really think that you guys in central Texas don't know how good this offense is.

CW#1inmyheart4eva
11-24-2008, 06:57 PM
We have played cy ridge this year loosing in a heart breaker 43-41. There defense is big but you can easily counter that with quickness like Woods did. The only thing you have to do is stop this one dude(forgot his name), lol. If you stop Russell you should have no problem containing that explosive offense. Ridge does have there RB, who is quite good, but you can hold there offense to 0 yards, He cant win the game buy himself, Russell can, so contain russell by keeping him out of the middle of the field and forcing him out of bounds or laying the wood on him early to contain him.

Primetime254
11-24-2008, 07:08 PM
Alright, I don't know how the stamina of the defense is, but Cy-Ridge is mainly a 2nd half team. Ive been watching games for two years now since my cousin Allan Moran is the center, and they just go nuts in the second half so I just want to know from all these cove fans if they will be able to keep together every minute of the game until the final buzzer goes off? I really doubt that they can go 4 quarters with trying to keep up with him(Shepard). He has great endurance and run all night long. He will get them tired and once that happens its going to be a done game. They will easily win by two scores if Hasan (Minnesota commit) comes to play. I just really think that you guys in central Texas don't know how good this offense is.
I dont think you know what kinda defense cove has
ask anyone who has watched cove this year
they SHUT DOWN teams in the second half.
Last week Naaman Forest only had 63 yds after
halftime, Mesquite Horn had less than 100.
I dont think you Cypress people know how good
this defense is. We have seen plenty of good offenses
and we know this will be tough, but we'll be ready.

Welcome to the board but if your gonna critisize
us up here in Central Texas at least know some info about
our team before you start sayin' that we done know
how good offenses are.
Trust us, us Cove fans do our research on teams and we know...we know :D

Go Dawgs!!

DrTallo
11-24-2008, 07:09 PM
We have played cy ridge this year loosing in a heart breaker 43-41. There defense is big but you can easily counter that with quickness like Woods did. The only thing you have to do is stop this one dude(forgot his name), lol. If you stop Russell you should have no problem containing that explosive offense. Ridge does have there RB, who is quite good, but you can hold there offense to 0 yards, He cant win the game buy himself, Russell can, so contain russell by keeping him out of the middle of the field and forcing him out of bounds or laying the wood on him early to contain him.

I mean i cant believe you just said 0 yds I hope that was just kidding around. I just got off the phone with my cousin and today was their first practice. They watched film on the defense and he said their d-line is fast. I told him some coach said that they looked slower on film. He just said well dude all of us agree this game is ours. Their starting QB is hurt, so their starting O isnt that great and if they doing something than they will put Russell on defense. He just said they are confident in this game by looking at all the film from Cove's defense. He said what I said before even if they are really that fast they are going to wear down. This is me talking now, I hope their starting D arent the only fast ones. Their second D is going to have to be just as good.

Primetime254
11-24-2008, 07:17 PM
I mean i cant believe you just said 0 yds I hope that was just kidding around. I just got off the phone with my cousin and today was their first practice. They watched film on the defense and he said their d-line is fast. I told him some coach said that they looked slower on film. He just said well dude all of us agree this game is ours. Their starting QB is hurt, so their starting O isnt that great and if they doing something than they will put Russell on defense. He just said they are confident in this game by looking at all the film from Cove's defense. He said what I said before even if they are really that fast they are going to wear down. This is me talking now, I hope their starting D arent the only fast ones. Their second D is going to have to be just as good.

Cove has depth dude.
All im sayin

DrTallo
11-24-2008, 07:18 PM
[/b]
I dont think you know what kinda defense cove has
ask anyone who has watched cove this year
they SHUT DOWN teams in the second half.
Last week Naaman Forest only had 63 yds after
halftime, Mesquite Horn had less than 100.
I dont think you Cypress people know how good
this defense is. We have seen plenty of good offenses
and we know this will be tough, but we'll be ready.

Welcome to the board but if your gonna critisize
us up here in Central Texas at least know some info about
our team before you start sayin' that we done know
how good offenses are.
Trust us, us Cove fans do our research on teams and we know...we know :D

Go Dawgs!!

The only reason I got on here is just to talk about this game. Ive read about 100 comments on how good their defense has been. Yes I know you have beat all these teams but ummm...really? like who are these teams anyway? J McFarland was completely eliminated from the game he had ONE good play the whole game where he blew past the line and tackled the running back for a loss. Thats what everyone said last week ohh Lufkin's D is good Mcfarland top 15 in the country. Russell comes runs up and down and helped to further kill that grass with his 323 yds and 5 TDs. You know how many people picked Lufkin over Ridge? about 90% of the people on here did. Ridge blew Lufkin to move on they had last second TDs when the game was already done anyway.

Primetime254
11-24-2008, 07:20 PM
The only reason I got on here is just to talk about this game. Ive read about 100 comments on how good their defense has been. Yes I know you have beat all these teams but ummm...really? like who are these teams anyway? J McFarland was completely eliminated from the game he had ONE good play the whole game where he blew past the line and tackled the running back for a loss. Thats what everyone said last week ohh Lufkin's D is good Mcfarland top 15 in the country. Russell comes runs up and down and helped to further kill that grass with his 323 yds and 5 TDs. You know how many people picked Lufkin over Ridge? about 90% of the people on here did. Ridge blew Lufkin to move on they had last second TDs when the game was already done anyway.

Hate to burst your bubble, Lufkin wasnt that good this year:eek:

Primetime254
11-24-2008, 07:25 PM
its was only
64% Lufkin
36% Ridge

where did you get 90%??

DrTallo
11-24-2008, 07:28 PM
Hate to burst your bubble, Lufkin wasnt that good this year:eek:

Well yall didn't play them. I didn't say how good Lufkin was, I said how everyone picked Lufkin over Ridge and how many people said their D will hold Shepard, McFarland is going to go berserk and stop him... My whole argument is, I promise you yall will not hold Rusell its just not going to happen, yall are saying that they will that their defense will hold him, our D is so fast and good. Why not focus on something that makes more senses like Ridge's D gets beat deep and score on alot. Thats how Cove will hurt Ridge, taking advantage of the fact that you can score alot on Ridge's D. To me thats more logical than saying the D will stop #10.

DrTallo
11-24-2008, 07:30 PM
its was only
64% Lufkin
36% Ridge

where did you get 90%??

I was saying that based on all the prediction brackets. 64% is still a high enough number to say that Lufkin was heavily favored.

Primetime254
11-24-2008, 07:44 PM
Well yall didn't play them. I didn't say how good Lufkin was, I said how everyone picked Lufkin over Ridge and how many people said their D will hold Shepard, McFarland is going to go berserk and stop him... My whole argument is, I promise you yall will not hold Rusell its just not going to happen, yall are saying that they will that their defense will hold him, our D is so fast and good. Why not focuse on something that makes more senses like Ridge's D gets beat deep and score on alot. Thats how Cove will hurt Ridge, taking advantage of the fat that you can score alot on Ridge's D. To me thats more logical than saying the D will stop #10.

We are not saying that we will hold Rusell, what I
said was he will get his yards all night, but we will keep him out of the endzone. Lufkin was a one man defense, Cove has talent all over the field. Have you heard of Tanner Brock, Chris Miller, Rashad Hardy, Josh Boyce, Josh Schmidt, and Copper Brock? All are going D1.
Your promising we wont stop him..what happened vs. Humble and Cy Fair?
please inform me

abileneeagles311
11-24-2008, 07:45 PM
cove - 42 cy ridge - 38

Primetime254
11-24-2008, 07:50 PM
http://www.chron.com/sports/highschoolsports/results.html?site=default&Season=2008&tpl=Boxscore&Sport=1&ID=26449&TeamID=80&SearchType=Teams

Stop Sheppard, we stop Cy Ridge.

DrTallo
11-24-2008, 07:50 PM
We are not saying that we will hold Rusell, what I
said was he will get his yards all night, but we will keep him out of the endzone. Lufkin was a one man defense, Cove has talent all over the field. Have you heard of Tanner Brock, Chris Miller, Rashad Hardy, Josh Boyce, Josh Schmidt, and Copper Brock? All are going D1.
Your promising we wont stop him..what happened vs. Humble and Cy Fair?
please inform me

Humm thats pretty good. Anywho Humble he just wasnt there mentally. My cousin said there was alot of pressure on him he didnt want to get hurt or scared of just being a junior year wonder kind of like Sam McGuffie from Cy-Fair. vs cy-fair? you mean cy-creek? His line wasnt there my cousin and I had to go to his sisters/my cousins 15( celebration of becoming a young lady) that day and another lineman wasnt there. The backup center was too small he was getting bad snaps all night and penalties.

DrTallo
11-24-2008, 07:54 PM
http://www.chron.com/sports/highschoolsports/results.html?site=default&Season=2008&tpl=Boxscore&Sport=1&ID=26449&TeamID=80&SearchType=Teams

Stop Sheppard, we stop Cy Ridge.

I completely agree with that. If Hasan comes to play if hes not such a puss about his knee than yall will have to worry about his 4.32 speed(look it up). This is the whole point of our argument, can you really stop him? you just said oh he will get his yards but we will keep him out of the end zone. You dont understand if you let him have his yards he WILL go to the endzone everytime.

Primetime254
11-24-2008, 07:55 PM
Humm thats pretty good. Anywho Humble he just wasnt there mentally. My cousin said there was alot of pressure on him he didnt want to get hurt or scared of just being a junior year wonder kind of like Sam McGuffie from Cy-Fair. vs cy-fair? you mean cy-creek? His line wasnt there my cousin and I had to go to his sisters/my cousins 15( celebration of becoming a young lady) that day and another lineman wasnt there. The backup center was too small he was getting bad snaps all night and penalties.

Uh no i did mean Cy Fair, only 68 yds??
Im sure that wasnt the reason why, but good try, its a team effort dude.

DrTallo
11-24-2008, 08:03 PM
Uh no i did mean Cy Fair, only 68 yds??
Im sure that wasnt the reason why, but good try, its a team effort dude.

Alright Im done arguing. I agree with anyone saying that stopping Russell Shepard means a win for the other team. I just hope he keeps on playing the way he is in the post season. We can argue back and forth on this but by 11 PM friday night we will find out if Cove stopped Russell and his offense.

Primetime254
11-24-2008, 08:04 PM
Alright Im done arguing. I agree with anyone saying that stopping Russell Shepard means a win for the other team. I just hope he keeps on playing the way he is in the post season. We can argue back and forth on this but by 11 PM friday night we will find out if Cove stopped Russell and his offense.

i was never arguing.

PurpleSwarm
11-24-2008, 08:05 PM
Haven't seen Cove play this year, but after seeing Shepard destroy the LP defense in one half, I can't bet against him. Ridge wins.

CCDawgs
11-24-2008, 08:26 PM
well here is a good fact right here. IN the playoffs the dawgs D have given up a whoppin ZERO points. So they do not wear down. Ridge is going to get outcoached in the second half and the disipline and experience is going to take over for the Dawgs.

DrTallo
11-24-2008, 08:30 PM
well here is a good fact right here. IN the playoffs the dawgs D have given up a whoppin ZERO points. So they do not wear down. Ridge is going to get outcoached in the second half and the disipline and experience is going to take over for the Dawgs.

True! But!....yall played who again?????

CCDawgs
11-24-2008, 08:36 PM
True! But!....yall played who again?????

Horn was one thing but Namaan Forest had one of the best rushing attacks in the state with blue chip recruit Jonathon Miller(oklahoma) We held him to 86 yards well below his average. This game is going to be a shootout but Cove wins the second half
MY PREDICTION

Cove 35
Ridge 21

Primetime254
11-24-2008, 08:38 PM

Are you talkin bout the whole game or just the second half?

DrTallo
11-24-2008, 08:46 PM
Horn was one thing but Namaan Forest had one of the best rushing attacks in the state with blue chip recruit Jonathon Miller(oklahoma) We held him to 86 yards well below his average. This game is going to be a shootout but Cove wins the second half
MY PREDICTION

Cove 35
Ridge 21

True! But!.....really? 3 star prospect with 4.5 40?...ummm a 3 start prospect isnt a one man offence. Cy-Ridge has a 4 star prospect Hasan Lipscomb(Minnesota) 4.38 40. 86 yds is ok also. Oh and this guy named Russell Shepard

UCmaroons
11-24-2008, 08:47 PM
I pick Cove by 8 in this one.

Copperas Cove 38
Cypress Ridge 30

I have been very impressed with Cy Ridge in the playoffs so far, but for me it still comes down to when I saw them play Cy Falls at the Berry Center. They just didn't really impress me even though they put up 60+ points. Both teams continually had serious coaching errors, terrible play selections, and overall just looked mediocre on offense and defense. I know a lot has changed since then but it was such a chaotic game that I can't get out of my head.

If Ridge wins, it will be because Hasan Lipscomb has a 200 yard game on the ground. He is one of the greatest running backs I've seen all year. Russell Shepard is wonderful, don't get me wrong, but the real weapon in my mind is Lipscomb.

i think lipscomb is the real weapon ONLY in this game because after the lufkin game cove will focus more on shepard

Ex: i played for cy-creek last year and our defense worked all week on containing shepard, and not only did we contain him but he got injured

we were down 19-21 at half(closer than anyone would have thought) and we scored on our first play of the second half

and then lipscomb went for like 170 in the second half(226 overall) and 4 tds

they beat us and wore us down with lipscomb because our gameplan focused too much on shepard

Primetime254
11-24-2008, 08:52 PM
True! But!.....really? 3 star prospect with 4.5 40?...ummm a 3 start prospect isnt a one man offence. Cy-Ridge has a 4 star prospect Hasan Lipscomb(Minnesota) 4.38 40. 86 yds is ok also. Oh and this guy named Russell Shepard

Stars mean nothing, its a rating, a rating does not describe a person, so your little star statements are BS. So your saying that Blake Gideon (which was a TWO star prospect...he must suck right?? Well he is only starting for The University of Texas at Safety as a true freshman. Get off the rivals bandwagon

UCmaroons
11-24-2008, 08:55 PM
Stars mean nothing, its a rating, a rating does not describe a person, so your little star statements are BS. So your saying that Blake Gideon (which was a TWO star prospect...he must suck right?? Well he is only starting for The University of Texas at Safety as a true freshman. Get off the rivals bandwagon

he would have been a 5 star if he had hands :eek:

coveaggie
11-24-2008, 08:56 PM
60 of miller's yards were on one carry. Take that away and our D held him to under 30. He had 3 yards in the 4th quarter.

The area that Cove excels in is their conditioning. We are not going to overpower and out muscle anybody, so we do it with speed...speed that is still there in the 4th quarter.

I have to go with Cove on this one, but it won't be decided until the 4th quarter. Nik Greene is continuing to improve each week, and I think he will continue to do so, waking up the offense little by little.

Cove - 31
Ridge - 22

Primetime254
11-24-2008, 08:57 PM
he would have been a 5 star if he had hands :eek:

yeah, did you see him the next week!? He had gloves, tape and a rubber sleeve on lol

UCmaroons
11-24-2008, 09:00 PM
yeah, did you see him the next week!? He had gloves, tape and a rubber sleeve on lol

whats sad is he would make the catch 99/100, and the one time he doesnt might keep them out of the big 12 title game

Primetime254
11-24-2008, 09:04 PM
whats sad is he would make the catch 99/100, and the one time he doesnt might keep them out of the big 12 title game

Even bigger, the National Championship!:Censor:

UCmaroons
11-24-2008, 09:07 PM
Even bigger, the National Championship!:Censor:

well its one in the same, if they dont make the title game they wont get put in the bcs title

DrTallo
11-24-2008, 09:08 PM

One of out like a couple of hundred kids make it??? big deal that guy was the one saying ohh he was good and we contained him. So your saying Russell and Matt Barkley's 5 stars dont mean anything? hummm I guess your right my bad.

DrTallo
11-24-2008, 09:11 PM
60 of miller's yards were on one carry. Take that away and our D held him to under 30. He had 3 yards in the 4th quarter.

The area that Cove excels in is their conditioning. We are not going to overpower and out muscle anybody, so we do it with speed...speed that is still there in the 4th quarter.

I have to go with Cove on this one, but it won't be decided until the 4th quarter. Nik Greene is continuing to improve each week, and I think he will continue to do so, waking up the offense little by little.

Cove - 31
Ridge - 22

Humm well so your saying those 60 yds didn't count? obviously your speedy D couldnt catch a guy with 4.5 speed right?

coveaggie
11-24-2008, 09:14 PM
Humm well so your saying those 60 yds didn't count? obviously your speedy D couldnt catch a guy with 4.5 speed right?

Turns out they did catch him. Then clamped down and held them to a FG.

And yea they counted, just showing that he was shut down the rest of the game. If Cove can just keep Shepard from having too many of those big plays, Cove will win.

Primetime254
11-24-2008, 09:19 PM
One of out like a couple of hundred kids make it??? big deal that guy was the one saying ohh he was good and we contained him. So your saying Russell and Matt Barkley's 5 stars dont mean anything? hummm I guess your right my bad.

If you listen and read, you judging people for "stars" if wrong, to say that we only played a "3 star" running back compared to your "5 star" QB is just people being judgmental and ignorant. We contained Lache Seastrunk, of the the nations top recruits for next year, he had one long run, then he was done.

All in All, id rather have a bunch of average to good players, than just a one man team...any day

DrTallo
11-24-2008, 09:19 PM
Turns out they did catch him. Then clamped down and held them to a FG.

And yea they counted, just showing that he was shut down the rest of the game. If Cove can just keep Shepard from having too many of those big plays, Cove will win.

Yuup if they do that they will win and If your offense starts throwing TDs....although Russell little brother which is a sophmore has been picking off everyone all season.

Primetime254
11-24-2008, 09:22 PM

If you and your cousin know so much about cove, you would have seen that cove has only allowed 1 offensive TD this post season and that guy Rashad Hardy, that i was talkin about...caught him.

defensive speed kills

coveaggie
11-24-2008, 09:22 PM
Yuup if they do that they will win and If your offense starts throwing TDs....although Russell little brother which is a sophmore has been picking off everyone all season.

All we have to do is throw enough to keep yall honest. Our stable of running backs is quite impressive, including a qb that can make plays with his legs. He's no Shepard, but he's led us to 2 playoff wins and I think a 3rd on Friday.

DrTallo
11-24-2008, 09:25 PM
If you listen and read, you judging people for "stars" if wrong, to say that we only played a "3 star" running back compared to your "5 star" QB is just people being judgmental and ignorant. We contained Lache Seastrunk, of the the nations top recruits for next year, he had one long run, then he was done.

All in All, id rather have a bunch of average to good players, than just a one man team...any day

Well There is Russell a beast Hasan also a beast. Kevin Johnson who is also going to play D1 but hes just a jr. and hes a great backup QB so watch for tricky plays. Mike Powell is just as good as most starting RB but Hasan is just plain good. nnamdi egbuonu who is a great 6'3 WR. Oh and about you guys D how yall have been stopping every offence in the playoffs well Russell has almost 550 yds and 8 tds in two games.

DrTallo
11-24-2008, 09:29 PM
If you and your cousin know so much about cove, you would have seen that cove has only allowed 1 offensive TD this post season and that guy Rashad Hardy, that i was talkin about...caught him.

defensive speed kills

Me and my cousin?...He just started watching film on yall today and thats what he said. How much film have you seen of Ridge's O???

Primetime254
11-24-2008, 09:36 PM
Well There is Russell a beast Hasan also a beast. Kevin Johnson who is also going to play D1 but hes just a jr. and hes a great backup QB so watch for tricky plays. Mike Powell is just as good as most starting RB but Hasan is just plain good. nnamdi egbuonu who is a great 6'3 WR. Oh and about you guys D how yall have been stopping every offence in the playoffs well Russell has almost 550 yds and 8 tds in two games.

Russell has 682 of Cy Ridges' 839 yds. (passing and rushing)
9 out of 10 TDs.
in the playoffs.
Once again. Stop Russell. Stop Ridge.

Primetime254
11-24-2008, 09:37 PM
Me and my cousin?...He just started watching film on yall today and thats what he said. How much film have you seen of Ridge's O???

ive seen plenty actually.

cyfallsbooster2
11-24-2008, 09:38 PM
C-dub? Is that you playing jokes again?:eek:

DrTallo
11-24-2008, 09:42 PM
9 out of 10 TDs.
in the playoffs.

Yeah thats cause Powell has been starting and He starts DB...Hasan should be healthy by friday hes been nursing a knee for about 4 weeks now...minor injury that he doesnt want made into a big one.

Primetime254
11-24-2008, 09:45 PM
Yeah thats cause Powell has been starting and He starts DB...Hasan should be healthy by friday hes been nursing a knee for about 4 weeks now...minor injury that he doesnt want made into a big one.

Im sure Cove will go after that knee

DrTallo
11-24-2008, 09:47 PM

lol Nice statement

CCDawgs
11-24-2008, 09:53 PM
Are you talkin bout the whole game or just the second half?
i meant 2nd half

CCDawgs
11-24-2008, 09:54 PM
Im pretty sure Oklahoma is better than LSU and Minn. :D

DrTallo
11-24-2008, 09:55 PM

Talking about players that are going to D1 schools not the teams this yr guy

Primetime254
11-24-2008, 09:55 PM

haha:notworthy

jordan
11-24-2008, 09:57 PM

Very, very uncool.

:(

HtownHacker
11-24-2008, 09:58 PM
does copperas cove have any D1 commits for next year?

CCDawgs
11-24-2008, 09:58 PM
Talking about players that are going to D1 schools not the teams this yr guy
Cove wins. Ridge loses. :notworthy

CCDawgs
11-24-2008, 09:59 PM
does copperas cove have any D1 commits for next year?

as of now just 2 commits to TCU. Brock, the best LB in the state, and Boyce our WR/KR.

Primetime254
11-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Very, very uncool.

:(

what im sayin is, if you knew that a player had a weakness..wouldnt you try to go after it!? i dont take back that statement at all..it happens in every sport.

HtownHacker
11-24-2008, 10:00 PM
do they have anyone good enough to play in a bcs conference?

CCDawgs
11-24-2008, 10:02 PM
do they have anyone good enough to play in a bcs conference?

Tanner Brock, yes. But he chose TCU to follow his older brother. He had offers from ND, Ohio State and many others.

HtownHacker
11-24-2008, 10:04 PM
Tanner Brock, yes. But he chose TCU to follow his older brother. He had offers from ND, Ohio State and many others.

cool. he must be quite a player.

Primetime254
11-24-2008, 10:05 PM
Cove needs to find Boyce more, he's only got one catch for 3 yds in the playoffs...put him at RB...do something

CCDawgs
11-24-2008, 10:06 PM
cool. he must be quite a player.
as a sophmore and junior he was 1st allstate. Led the state in tackles his sophmore year. very good talent on both sides of the ball. sometimes they line him up at tailback to get the shorts yards. also has the speed to outrun DBs

CCDawgs
11-24-2008, 10:07 PM
Cove needs to find Boyce more, he's only got one catch for 3 yds in the playoffs...put him at RB...do something

nobody kicks to him first of all. Greene needs to have some poise and get the ball to his main playmaker on offense.

Covedawg
11-24-2008, 10:08 PM
Cove has seen run crazy QB's before, last year Boyd's QB ran for 226 yrds....oh yeah Cove won 48-26 also

Sheppard most likely will get his yards, but it will get VERY tight for him in the Red Zone

Naaman Forest's Jonathan Miller took a hand off at the 12 and looked like it was clear sailing to the end zone, but Rashad Hardy came from the other side of the field and ran him down at the 27, 4 plays later FG, the only offensive points scored, and the closest they got the rest of the game.

Bottom line Russell Sheppard has Cove's attention, what I'm wondering, does the stable of RB's the Dawgs use have Ridge's attention.

Also Sheppard, when he does pass, should stay away from #8 Chris Miller. Chris leads the state in pics with 11. He has also score 5 TD's vis pics and returns....If he trys passing over the middle, Ridge's receivers are not going to feel very well after they meet Tanner Brock. Tanner's already gave one receiver a concussion recorded more "de-cleater hits" than I can count...

I still say 35-31.....pick'em, leaning to my Dawgs because of "home" field advantage. It seems like we play more games there than Waco High or University !

Primetime254
11-24-2008, 10:08 PM
Kendryx Madison 6-3 350 pounds...beast

CCDawgs
11-24-2008, 10:09 PM
Kendryx Madison 6-3 350 pounds...beast

BIG DADDY FORMATION! :notworthy

Primetime254
11-24-2008, 10:11 PM
nobody kicks to him first of all. Greene needs to have some poise and get the ball to his main playmaker on offense.

we need to use him like we use chancellor...Boyce can pass too, last year he threw a bomb to Griffin.

covedawgfan
11-24-2008, 10:35 PM
There sure has been a lot of fast fingers in the past three hours on this thread about this High School football game. It should be fun to watch the Cy Ridge team and their outstanding QB compete against Cove and their outstanding defense. I don't know much about the Ram's Coaching Staff, but I have watched the Cove Coaching staff prepare for great teams (15 games in 06 and 07, and 13 games in 05). I am sure that the coaches have watched enough film to know what offense and defense will work best against their opponents. Good luck to both teams, but I am pulling for a Cove victory. Go Dawgs, Get TUIT!

C-DUB
11-24-2008, 10:44 PM
C-dub? Is that you playing jokes again?:eek:

C-DUB is not in this.:confused:

jp744
11-24-2008, 10:52 PM
There sure has been a lot of fast fingers in the past three hours on this thread about this High School football game. It should be fun to watch the Cy Ridge team and their outstanding QB compete against Cove and their outstanding defense. I don't know much about the Ram's Coaching Staff, but I have watched the Cove Coaching staff prepare for great teams (15 games in 06 and 07, and 13 games in 05). I am sure that the coaches have watched enough film to know what offense and defense will work best against their opponents. Good luck to both teams, but I am pulling for a Cove victory. Go Dawgs, Get TUIT!

This has gotten me fired up reading all of this. I think I will drive three hours to Waco and watch this one. By the way what is this saying you have Go Dawgs, Get TUIT! Does the TUIT have meaning? Do you guys spell everything wrong. I am not trying to offend in any way. I just wanted to know.

Covedawg
11-24-2008, 10:57 PM
We also bring cow bells and ring them loud , and chant WHo Let the Dawgs Out !!

jp744
11-24-2008, 11:11 PM
We also bring cow bells and ring them loud , and chant WHo Let the Dawgs Out !!
I thought that was illegal in UIL games. Oh well should be fun. Who let the dogs out and Cowbells (one word) I think I will sit on your side.

CCDawgs
11-24-2008, 11:19 PM
I thought that was illegal in UIL games. Oh well should be fun. Who let the dogs out and Cowbells (one word) I think I will sit on your side.
nope cowbells are fine! i think it is just airhorns and sirens and that type of thing. but if i was you i would drive and watch! It going to be a shootout with Sheppard going against a great defense. as we advance in the playoff our crowd gets much larger so the town is gonna have our back in our 2nd home stadium. Does welch win the toss everytime? cause i sure hope that other coaches dont agree to play us there:notworthy

Bobcat81
11-24-2008, 11:22 PM
Some highlights of the Lufkin-CyRidge game:

http://www.abcjmp.com/jump2/?affiliate=lsbf&subid=17w0l8kliuumb&terms=athletes%20connection

Good show on both sides

CoveMom
11-25-2008, 12:49 AM
This has gotten me fired up reading all of this. I think I will drive three hours to Waco and watch this one. By the way what is this saying you have Go Dawgs, Get TUIT! Does the TUIT have meaning? Do you guys spell everything wrong. I am not trying to offend in any way. I just wanted to know.

Did you ever say you would do something "when you get around to it?"

Well, the Dawgs have no excuse now because at the beginning of the season the coaches gave each player a round wooden "coin" with TUIT written on one side and our Bulldawg on the other. Get it?

A Round TUIT!

Go Fight Win

All that jazz. ;)

UCmaroons
11-25-2008, 01:23 AM
9 out of 10 TDs.
in the playoffs.

well, to be fair, the rest of ridges offense would have more production if it needed to

but if no one stops shepard why change

if it aint broke, dont fix it

Hammeroftruth
11-25-2008, 06:55 AM
Yeah, we get that a lot, Especially from Houston and Dallas area schools.
Of course, I would say that you guys in Southeast Texas don't know how good this defense is. I guess we'll find out Friday night which is better. I'm looking forward to a great game between two talented teams. No one gets to the 3rd round by mistake, so I know this will be a good game. Get TUIT, Dawgs.

rmwestjr
11-25-2008, 07:33 AM
Cove is also a second half team. They usually kick it up a notch through adjustments and emotion.

Man, I got to watch Cove practice yesterday and they are certainly not a one dimensional offense. Nic Greene has found his nitch and looks very relaxed passing now. I wouldn't be surprised to see a much more balanced offense.

mcamp002
11-25-2008, 07:43 AM

Cove is very good about staying home and playing their positions. And don't forget, Cove has one of the best defensive backs in the state in Chris Miller...I believe he leads the state in interceptions with 11 - 4 of which were pick 6's.

covedawgfan
11-25-2008, 07:58 AM
Just a couple of thoughts regarding some of the posts:
1. Cove does have stamina! Although they have speed and quickness, Coach Welch does stress conditioning for his players. They work hard throughout the season to keep themselves in prime condition. If Cy Ridge is a second half team they will find that Cove also plays well if not better in the second half. I do not have any concern about Cove "running out of gas" in the second half or even the last few minutes of the quarter.
2. Cove does have a lot of respect for Cy Ridge! The ability of their QB and RB have not escaped the attention of the Coaches, the players, and even the fans. Respect for Cy Ridge will help the Dawgs to stay focused.
3. This will be great game between two entirely different teams. I am really looking forward to watching Cy Ridge's QB (the #1 Dual Threat QB). I have had the opportunity to watch many great players since I have been following Copperas Cove, I.E. Cedric Benson, Vontez Duff, Charles Tillman, Quizz Rodgers, Robert Griffin-just to name a few). I am sure I will be able to add Russell Shepherd to my list of football great that I have had to privelege to see in preson. Its been great!
4. I found this post on the supercentex web site that I will add here about Cove's Defense from Texas Football:

Game Ball No. 4: Not only did the Copperas Cove defense keep Naaman Forest out of the end zone in a 16-9 win on Friday night, the Copperas Cove defense nearly outscored Naaman Forest's offense. The safety Cove recorded was one point less than the FG the Naaman Forest offense produced. Cove also held Naaman Forest's Johnathan Miller, a blue chip RB headed to OU, to 89 rushing yards, well below his average of 163 yards per game.

Its Tuesday, but Friday is coming, Go Dawgs, Get TUIT!

UCmaroons
11-25-2008, 08:26 AM
Cove is very good about staying home and playing their positions. And don't forget, Cove has one of the best defensive backs in the state in Chris Miller...I believe he leads the state in interceptions with 11 - 4 of which were pick 6's.

that doesnt matter ridge doesnt pass ;)

smw358
11-25-2008, 08:34 AM
None of what happened last year matters. The Dawgs need to stay focused on this year only. If Cove's defense can stop the big play and contain Cy-Ridge's QB, I believe Cove will win. If not, then Cy-Ridge will win. I'm looking forward to a great game between two very talented programs. Go Dawgs!

I believe that you will be 100% correct! :D

smw358
11-25-2008, 08:47 AM

I would have given him 8 stars if he would have intercepted that ball against Tech! :D

DawgDave
11-25-2008, 08:54 AM
From Dave Campbell's website:
"Game Ball No. 4: Not only did the Copperas Cove defense keep Naaman Forest out of the end zone in a 16-9 win on Friday night, the Copperas Cove defense nearly outscored Naaman Forest's offense. The safety Cove recorded was one point less than the FG the Naaman Forest offense produced. Cove also held Naaman Forest's Johnathan Miller, a blue chip RB headed to OU, to 89 rushing yards, well below his average of 163 yards per game."
And according to the paper this morning, looks like Cove has watched plenty of film on Cy Ridge and knows what to expect.
Should be a great one.
GO DAWGS!!

Ridge0405
11-25-2008, 09:48 AM
Watching film only helps teams learn tendencies and formations in a "mental practice". Even if Copperas Cove has watched plenty of film, that does not mean they can contain shepard. The guy is so quick and elussive and can change direction in a blink of an eye while standing on a dime. To me it does not matter how much film you watch, you can not practice to beat this guy until you are in the game because there is no one like him in the nation. And there offense is literally a freakin machine, I have never seen a high school offense that can move the ball like Ridge. The coaches at Ridge will come in with a nice gameplan, and I bet they try to put this one away early. This is a solid team, from coaches to players, and are going to be tough to beat if they are running on all cylinders.

bobcatfan
11-25-2008, 09:51 AM
Did you ever say you would do something "when you get around to it?"
Well, the Dawgs have no excuse now because at the beginning of the season the coaches gave each player a round wooden "coin" with TUIT written on one side and our Bulldawg on the other. Get it?

A Round TUIT!

Go Fight Win

All that jazz. ;)

Uh Oh. I think this is my wife:eek:

farmersfight
11-25-2008, 10:06 AM
Here is my take on this game. Russell Shepard is an unbelievable football player. He has great vision and speed. When that offense is clicking they are hard to stop. Cove's defense is great. They take pride in being able to shut down big name players. I know Ridge will get their yards and score some points. I also believe Cove will hold Ridge below their season averages in yards and points. With that being said, I think the key matchup will be Cove's offense vs. Ridge's defense. If Cove is able to control the clock with their running game and limit Ridge's possesions, Cove will advance. I think special teams may play a huge role as well. Cove's kicker has a great leg and their return game with Boyce and Miller is outstanding. Good luck to both teams. I am looking forward to an exciting injury free game.

Prediction

Cove 31
Ridge 28

mcamp002
11-25-2008, 10:13 AM
Watching film only helps teams learn tendencies and formations in a "mental practice". Even if Copperas Cove has watched plenty of film, that does not mean they can contain shepard. The guy is so quick and elussive and can change direction in a blink of an eye while standing on a dime. To me it does not matter how much film you watch, you can not practice to beat this guy until you are in the game because there is no one like him in the nation. And there offense is literally a freakin machine, I have never seen a high school offense that can move the ball like Ridge. The coaches at Ridge will come in with a nice gameplan, and I bet they try to put this one away early. This is a solid team, from coaches to players, and are going to be tough to beat if they are running on all cylinders.

Many of Cove's defenders practiced against a guy(Robert Griffin), who Shepard is very comparable to, ...on a daily basis last year. They are quite familiar with quality players who can turn on the jets! Can't wait to see this play out on Friday night!

DawgDave
11-25-2008, 10:21 AM

Cove has played and handled dual-threat QB's before. Remember, most of this defense practiced against Robert Griffin last year.
One Cy Ridge poster stated in the film he saw that Cove's defense didn't look that fast! Yet Naaman Forest's coach and RB said they were much faster than they looked on film and was the fastest team they played all year.
Film is deceiving. You'll find that out on Friday night.

iluvit73
11-25-2008, 10:33 AM
Well there is a 40% chance of rain on Friday. Hopefully it will only rain in the morning. Anyway congratulations to both team for making it this far. Of course I am a Cove fan and will be cheering for my Dawgs. Go Dawgs!

Hammeroftruth
11-25-2008, 10:45 AM
I believe that you will be 100% correct! :D
Yeah, I guess that was a dumb statement. Someone's gonna win, right? Let me clarify:For Cove to win, they have to contain Cy Ridge's QB, plain and simple. I don't think they're gonna outright stop him, but if they can keep him out of the endzone and not give up the big play, Cove advances. One other thing... a little birdie tells me that Cove's QB is looking pretty sharp passing the ball in practice-better than he's looked all year. I'm expecting an air attack from Cove friday night.

iluvit73
11-25-2008, 11:10 AM
Yeah, I guess that was a dumb statement. Someone's gonna win, right? Let me clarify:For Cove to win, they have to contain Cy Ridge's QB, plain and simple. I don't think they're gonna outright stop him, but if they can keep him out of the endzone and not give up the big play, Cove advances. One other thing... a little birdie tells me that Cove's QB is looking pretty sharp passing the ball in practice-better than he's looked all year. I'm expecting an air attack from Cove friday night. I hope your right. We need a little bit of everything running, special teams and especially some passing.

smw358
11-25-2008, 11:21 AM
Yeah, I guess that was a dumb statement. Someone's gonna win, right? Let me clarify:For Cove to win, they have to contain Cy Ridge's QB, plain and simple. I don't think they're gonna outright stop him, but if they can keep him out of the endzone and not give up the big play, Cove advances. One other thing... a little birdie tells me that Cove's QB is looking pretty sharp passing the ball in practice-better than he's looked all year. I'm expecting an air attack from Cove friday night.

I'll make it simpler...if he gains 100+ yards by halftime....Cove will be in for a long day! Visa-versa ya know....! ;)

rmwestjr
11-25-2008, 12:12 PM
A few times this year, Cove's defense has given up a lot of yardage and still won the game by 3 touchdowns. Cove gets stingy in the red zone.

The game is just not about Sheppard and Cove's defense. It is about Cove's offense and Cy Ridge's defense too. Sheppard could get 340 yards rushing, but if Cy Ridge's defense can't stop a good Cove rushing offense, Cy Ridge could lose the game on a good day for Sheppard.

I think we are overlooking the contribution of Cy Ridge's defense and Cove's offense like they really don't matter with respect to Sheppard. Robert Griffin puts up some good numbers for Baylor but good Griffin stats hasn't got them over .500 .... yet.

DrTallo
11-25-2008, 12:19 PM
Here is my take on this game. Russell Shepard is an unbelievable football player. He has great vision and speed. When that offense is clicking they are hard to stop. Cove's defense is great. They take pride in being able to shut down big name players. I know Ridge will get their yards and score some points. I also believe Cove will hold Ridge below their season averages in yards and points. With that being said, I think the key matchup will be Cove's offense vs. Ridge's defense. If Cove is able to control the clock with their running game and limit Ridge's possesions, Cove will advance. I think special teams may play a huge role as well. Cove's kicker has a great leg and their return game with Boyce and Miller is outstanding. Good luck to both teams. I am looking forward to an exciting injury free game.

Prediction

Cove 31
Ridge 28

Humm...well how can you put Cove at 31 if they are barely managing over td's since your starting QB broke his collar bone?

Covedawg
11-25-2008, 12:30 PM
Humm...well how can you put Cove at 31 if they are barely managing over td's since your starting QB broke his collar bone?

Offense can get at least 3 TD's , Kicker will probably get a FG early and the Defense will score a TD......that adds up to 31 points

3 TD's first playoff game, and going in for 3rd against Naaman Forest, but bad snap and fumble stopped it. Ended game with QB taking knee twice.....

30+ points should not be a problem against Cy Ridge's defense
Holding Cy Ridge under 30, now that is the challenge

Like I said before

35-31 pick'em .....I'm going for the Dawgs, but it could go either way

farmersfight
11-25-2008, 12:39 PM

Hummmm....because Ridge's defense is not that good! I'm not saying they are horrible but they are not that good.

cyfallsbooster2
11-25-2008, 01:48 PM
A few times this year, Cove's defense has given up a lot of yardage and still won the game by 3 touchdowns. Cove gets stingy in the red zone.

The game is just not about Sheppard and Cove's defense. It is about Cove's offense and Cy Ridge's defense too. Sheppard could get 340 yards rushing, but if Cy Ridge's defense can't stop a good Cove rushing offense, Cy Ridge could lose the game on a good day for Sheppard.

I think we are overlooking the contribution of Cy Ridge's defense and Cove's offense like they really don't matter with respect to Sheppard. Robert Griffin puts up some good numbers for Baylor but good Griffin stats hasn't got them over .500 .... yet.

I am agreement with Mr. West. There are ALL the aspects to the game which must be considered coming into this week. They are all going to influence the outcome. Some of the comments about the Dawgs made by the CC fans give me some hope that our 15-5A brother may have a chance this weekend to win. It should make for a very interesting game for us fans. Here's to the boys staying healthy!

rmwestjr
11-25-2008, 02:12 PM
DrTallo,

The QB's injury "twas merely a flesh wound" (using my best Monty Python type accent).

cyfallsbooster2
11-25-2008, 02:32 PM
Hummmm....because Ridge's defense is not that good! I'm not saying they are horrible but they are not that good.

Would you two guys quit humming?!!! The sound is driving me nuts! Or at least get in tune!

Really, the word you are looking for is spelled "hmmmmm..." THERE IS NO "U"!

Now back to football.

farmersfight
11-25-2008, 02:44 PM
Would you two guys quit humming?!!! The sound is driving me nuts! Or at least get in tune!

Now back to football.

Thanks for making me laugh

DrTallo
11-25-2008, 02:49 PM

Now back to football.

hummm interesting point

cyfallsbooster2
11-25-2008, 02:49 PM
Thanks for making me laugh

Then I am fulfilling my lot in life! Let's hope we can all keep smiling after the tough game this weekend.;)

cyfallsbooster2
11-25-2008, 02:50 PM
hummm interesting point

Arrrgghh!:Censor:

mcamp002
11-25-2008, 03:06 PM
that doesnt matter ridge doesnt pass ;)

That comment was directed towards the Ridge fans stating that Shepard will pass when he needs to. IF and when he passes the Cove DBs will be there.

mcamp002
11-25-2008, 03:11 PM
For what it's worth...oh yea...nothing :Music Massey Ratings has this a very close game 32-26 for Cove

http://www.highschoolsports.net/defaultcal300x250.cfm?ct=matchup&timeoffset=360

cyfallsbooster2
11-25-2008, 03:14 PM
That comment was directed towards the Ridge fans stating that Shepard will pass when he needs to. IF and when he passes the Cove DBs will be there.

But, "where" is the question. It is an unusual thing about this Sheppard guy. He never seems to throw where the db's are. The db's are either all hanging back with the recievers, thus leaving Sheppard 1-on-3 with the lb's and he takes off. Or, the db's are coming up to stop Sheppard's apparent end run and he pops it to the open reciever. It is a system that tends to frustrate some defenses. It really puts alot of pressure on the lb's. Probably moreso on them than the db's.

cyfallsbooster2
11-25-2008, 03:15 PM
For what it's worth...oh yea...nothing :Music Massey Ratings has this a very close game 32-26 for Cove

http://www.highschoolsports.net/defaultcal300x250.cfm?ct=matchup&timeoffset=360

I do expect it to be close....either way.

bobcatfan
11-25-2008, 03:51 PM

That's because you're a maroon:D

Sorry Booster. I couldn't pass that one up.

Eldawgo
11-25-2008, 04:16 PM
I also heard something similar. QB is getting his confidence built up....Josh Welch has revealed some long hidden passing tips that seem to be working. I was told to possibly expect 25-35 pass plays. Seems the coaching staff saw something they believe they can exploit!!! Are you ready to rumble?

mcamp002
11-25-2008, 04:48 PM

As do I. Massey Ratings are fun to play with but are based - at least as far as I can tell - simply off mathematical calculations based off statistics. Whatever the final is, I don't expect the winner and loser to be separated by more than 7. And I gotta be a homer and go with Cove...Hope I will be watching them play in December!

cyfallsbooster2
11-25-2008, 05:29 PM
That's because you're a maroon:D

Sorry Booster. I couldn't pass that one up.

Well, I am an Aggie too. So calling me names like that doesn't hurt.:D Plus, outside of the heart shown by every team CF puts out, I think I am drawn to your teams by their colors.;)

covedawgfan
11-25-2008, 05:44 PM

The post above was several posts ago, but I've been out of the net. I totally agree that watching the film of other teams allows them to "learn tendencies and formations in a "mental practice". I am sure Cy Ridge Coaches "will come in with a nice gameplan," from watching films of Copperas Cove. Neither team will be able prepare 100% by watch film it sure helps to prepare. This will be a great game, Cy Ridge is in the 3rd round of the playoff because they are a good team, and so is Cove. We will see on Friday night if all of the preparation on both sides helps the execution of the players. Go Dawgs, Get TUIT!

cyfallsbooster2
11-25-2008, 05:46 PM
As do I. Massey Ratings are fun to play with but are based - at least as far as I can tell - simply off mathematical calculations based off statistics. Whatever the final is, I don't expect the winner and loser to be separated by more than 7. And I gotta be a homer and go with Cove...Hope I will be watching them play in December!

Massey Ratings, BCS, all those other polls are just opinions. They may try to convince you that they are based on mathmatical statistics or FACTS or something solid, but once one studies them closely, we begin to see that a huge part of the equation is opinion. Same as your and my own personal polls. Just our opinions. The ones who determine the outcome of the game are the kids and coaches on the field. And in many cases, moreso the kids than the coaches.

That's why I think it frivolous for us fans to state particular facts that support own opinion and then state our opinion and then believe we can affect the outcome of the game with our argument. It really becomes boring and meaningless. I just like the banter part and REALLY like the actual GAME part of all this.

My personal opinion on this game is that it is going to be a very big challenge for my 15-5A brothers at Ridge. Cove is a perinial team to consider that is REALLY HOT this year. Ridge has a tremendous athlete on their side and a less than stellar defense (pretty good but not dominating). Ridge will have to come up with something special this week, like they did last week, in order to move on to round 4.

covedawgfan
11-25-2008, 05:50 PM
Well, I am an Aggie too. So calling me names like that doesn't hurt.:D Plus, outside of the heart shown by every team CF puts out, I think I am drawn to your teams by their colors.;)

Ok, I've seen several post by you and your "picture". I can't figure it out, what is it a Rooster Bear? or a Teddy Chicken? Just curious, thanks

Primetime254
11-25-2008, 06:00 PM
I also heard something similar. QB is getting his confidence built up....Josh Welch has revealed some long hidden passing tips that seem to be working. I was told to possibly expect 25-35 pass plays. Seems the coaching staff saw something they believe they can exploit!!! Are you ready to rumble?

There is noway Cove will pass that much, We havent seen that many passing attempts since Dewald was our QB. Last week we tried to come out passing...and as everyone saw, it failed, we need to stick with our bread and butter.

mcamp002
11-25-2008, 06:38 PM
Here is something I do not believe I have seen posted on this thread yet. For those Cy Ridge Fans and Cove fans that may not know, who can't make the trip to Waco Friday night, you can listen to a live audio broadcast of the game and a live webcast of it as well at www.kdhpressbox.com (http://www.kdhpressbox.com) They usually start broadcasting 30 minutes prior to kickoff.

cyfallsbooster2
11-25-2008, 06:40 PM
Ok, I've seen several post by you and your "picture". I can't figure it out, what is it a Rooster Bear? or a Teddy Chicken? Just curious, thanks

It's Thanksgiving!!!

That's my turkeybuttfeathers avatar!

:D

Some posters got freaked out by my regular avatar so I tried to come up with something more poster friendly for the month of Novemvber.

cyfallsbooster2
11-25-2008, 06:44 PM
Here is something I do not believe I have seen posted on this thread yet. For those Cy Ridge Fans and Cove fans that may not know, who can't make the trip to Waco Friday night, you can listen to a live audio broadcast of the game and a live webcast of it as well at www.kdhpressbox.com (http://www.kdhpressbox.com) They usually start broadcasting 30 minutes prior to kickoff.

Thanks!

mcamp002
11-25-2008, 06:49 PM
Thanks!

Anytime!

ktCarl
11-25-2008, 07:02 PM
So you say their QB is fast? Our OL and outside LB's (C'mon, Dude) are probably faster.

Does Cove's trainers all run the 40 in 4.2 and the Cove algebra teacher a 4.0? :rolleyes:

mcamp002
11-25-2008, 07:03 PM
Does Cove's trainers all run the 40 in 4.2 and the Cove algebra teacher a 4.0? :rolleyes:

NOOOOOOO...one trainer runs a 4.5 and the algebra teacher is a truck coming in at 5 flat!:cool:

mcamp002
11-25-2008, 07:05 PM

Oh and your avatar and by-line (I've got a fever! And the only prescription is MORE COWBELL!! :D) are awesome!

Primetime254
11-25-2008, 07:07 PM

Ms. Dieter is a pretty fast woman actually:rolleyes: (the trainer)

cyfallsbooster2
11-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Ms. Dieter is a pretty fast woman actually:rolleyes: (the trainer)

Is she married?:rolleyes:

Primetime254
11-25-2008, 07:15 PM
Is she married?:rolleyes:

Nope lol

cyfallsbooster2
11-25-2008, 07:16 PM
Nope lol

Hummmmm.............:ninja:

ktCarl
11-25-2008, 07:16 PM
You Cove people are good sports. I saw you guys a few years ago against Lufkin at Baylor's stadium and I was impressed. Haven't seen or heard much about you guys this season so no way can I give a good guess on the outcome of this game. It should be good if the Cove D is stout and Ridge's O is dynamic. Third round games really start to get interesting!!:cool:

cyfallsbooster2
11-25-2008, 07:20 PM
You Cove people are good sports. I saw you guys a few years ago against Lufkin at Baylor's stadium and I was impressed. Haven't seen or heard much about you guys this season so no way can I give a good guess on the outcome of this game. It should be good if the Cove D is stout and Ridge's O is dynamic. Third round games really start to get interesting!!:cool:

Just like you to be so self centered.:D

Hey, looks like Katy is in the semi's again. Congrats on your "down" year.

ktCarl
11-25-2008, 07:36 PM
Just like you to be so self centered.:D

Hey, looks like Katy is in the semi's again. Congrats on your "down" year.

I can't watch everyone. I even had to leave Dallas before the 4th game of the day.

Katy is not in the semi's yet.

cyfallsbooster2
11-25-2008, 07:39 PM
I can't watch everyone. I even had to leave Dallas before the 4th game of the day.

Katy is not in the semi's yet.

Look at what's left.:cool:

Katy is the best.

mcamp002
11-25-2008, 07:48 PM
Look at what's left.:cool:

Katy is the best.

Actually - looking at the remaining 16 I'm kinda liking a Cove/Katy Championship!

ktCarl
11-25-2008, 07:52 PM
Actually - looking at the remaining 16 I'm kinda liking a Cove/Katy Championship!

I'll go for that but Smithson Valley lurks.

mcamp002
11-25-2008, 07:54 PM

Yea...I don't know much about them but looking at how things are going its gonna be either Katy or Smithson Valley on that side of the bracket.

cyfallsbooster2
11-25-2008, 07:59 PM

I predicted Humble would trip you up this year (my D2-R3 bracket is completely wiped out). So my next prediction is SV. Outside of that stop, you guys are in.

There is something to be said for "PROGRAMS".:cool:

cyfallsbooster2
11-25-2008, 08:02 PM
Sorry. Got side tracked. Back to Ridge/Cove.

Covemom, ur hot.:cool:

mcamp002
11-25-2008, 08:07 PM

Don't know much about them, but from what I have seen it will be either Katy or Smithson Valley in the final from that side of the bracket.

mcamp002
11-25-2008, 08:09 PM
Sorry. Got side tracked. Back to Ridge/Cove.

Covemom, ur hot.:cool:

Hey....be careful you might get hit with a cowbell!

cyfallsbooster2
11-25-2008, 08:26 PM
Hey....be careful you might get hit with a cowbell!

Hey, I already have head injury. I have discovered it only hurts for a little while.:D

DawgsFanForLife
11-25-2008, 10:00 PM

LMAO... you obviously do not know much about the Cove team either. If Cy is as good as you make them out to be in the second half this game will be a DAWG fight for four full quarters. COve plays four quarters of football every week. Watch and see!!!

DFFL

Temple_Wildcat_Fan
11-25-2008, 10:02 PM
i like cove in this one

Hammeroftruth
11-25-2008, 10:06 PM
i like cove in this one
A Temple fan pulling for Cove? Did hell freeze over?

Temple_Wildcat_Fan
11-25-2008, 10:08 PM
A Temple fan pulling for Cove? Did hell freeze over?
yeah i know they killed us but they should win this game

DawgsFanForLife
11-25-2008, 10:09 PM
Ok here is my take on this game. Trying to read 12 pages is tough....
Cy will move the ball on Cove for sure. Opponents have moved the ball on Cove very well but in the red zone the D has been very stingy. I see the same agaain this week considering the talent on the Cy team. Cove can win this game IF the defense does what its been doing all year long. The offense MUST hold the ball and use the clock to their advantage to keep the CY offense off the field. Cove Offense MUST punch that ball into the end zone and score those touchdowns. If not, then we will sign off until next year and see who wins out.

I say the DAWGS D wins this one for Cove but who knows until Friday night.

Good luck to both teams and their fans traveling to and from the game. Leave early and allow yourself extra time to get to your destination safely.

DFFL

Hammeroftruth
11-25-2008, 10:12 PM
I'll make it simpler...if he gains 100+ yards by halftime....Cove will be in for a long day! Visa-versa ya know....! ;)
Nope. I disagree. Cove's defense has a habit of bending, not breaking. They give up yards, but don't give up very many points. 100 yards by halftime would be normal against Cove's defense. Contain him- don't give up the big play, keep him out of the endzone. Points win games, not yards. I just hope Cy-Ridge's defense gives up more points than Cove's defense, know what I mean?

cyfallsbooster2
11-25-2008, 10:19 PM
Nope. I disagree. Cove's defense has a habit of bending, not breaking. They give up yards, but don't give up very many points. 100 yards by halftime would be normal against Cove's defense. Contain him- don't give up the big play, keep him out of the endzone. Points win games, not yards. I just hope Cy-Ridge's defense gives up more points than Cove's defense, know what I mean?

I agree with this view completely. The team that scores the most will win.:cool:

cyfallsbooster2
11-25-2008, 10:23 PM

But, from what I have seen.......if they bend, they are going to break. The kid has ball. And the D has enough to slow the Dawgs,

Covedawg
11-25-2008, 10:36 PM

Ktcarl if you only knew

you signature video is played on our video scoreboard at every home game !!
The Cowbells will be out in force Friday night
I got a new drum stick for the game !!

I've got a fever! And the only prescription is MORE COWBELL!!

cyfallsbooster2
11-25-2008, 10:45 PM
Ktcarl if you only knew

Gosh! I hate those games! The noise-makers and all.

I like watching football.

DrTallo
11-25-2008, 10:54 PM
I agree with this view completely. The team that scores the most will win.:cool:

really?...i didn't know thats how it worked

cyfallsbooster2
11-25-2008, 10:58 PM
really?...i didn't know thats how it worked

Yeah, I caught on to that about the 3rd year Ridge and Falls played.;) Ridge is damn good this year. They have been in the making for 3 years now. This is it, They have it.

DrTallo
11-25-2008, 11:14 PM
Yeah, I caught on to that about the 3rd year Ridge and Falls played.;) Ridge is damn good this year. They have been in the making for 3 years now. This is it, They have it.

Huh? I said that cause I thought it was funny how you said to win someone has to score the most points. I was just being sarcastic about your comment cause of course who ever gets the most points wins. But I was just trying to be funny/sarcastic. Wasn't trying to be rude:D

ktCarl
11-25-2008, 11:35 PM
Ktcarl if you only knew

That is completely AWESOME!!!!! :notworthy

Where is CoveMom???????

cyfallsbooster2
11-25-2008, 11:40 PM
Huh? I said that cause I thought it was funny how you said to win someone has to score the most points. I was just being sarcastic about your comment cause of course who ever gets the most points wins. But I was just trying to be funny/sarcastic. Wasn't trying to be rude:D

Believe me, I have thick skin when I am concerned. Insult the kids or coaches......I get mean.

I was agreeing with you. In my own way.;)

cyfallsbooster2
11-25-2008, 11:41 PM
Ktcarl if you only knew

THE MAN is edified!:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy