PDA

View Full Version : The newest dark side to the internet

jtk1519
11-21-2008, 03:44 PM
MIAMI -- A South Florida college student killed himself by overdosing on drugs in front of a live online audience as some computer users egged him on, some debated his method, and others tried to talk him out of it.

Abraham Biggs, 19, of Pembroke Pines, died Wednesday at his home from a toxic combination of opiates and benzodiazepine, a drug used to treat insomnia and depression, said Wendy Crane, an investigator with the Broward County medical examiner's office.

Authorities say the Broward Community College student is not the first person to commit suicide with a webcam rolling.

It's unclear how many people were watching through the Web site bodybuilding.com. Someone finally notified a site moderator, who pinpointed Biggs' location and called police, but they arrived too late to save him, Crane said.

Biggs, who used the screen name "CandyJunkie" on the bodybuilding Web site, started blogging about plans to kill himself 12 hours before he was found lying dead on his bed. He posted a link from bodybuilding.com to Justin.tv, a site that allows users to broadcast live videos from their webcams.

http://reporternews.com/news/2008/nov/21/teen-kills-self-live-on-webcam/

From Shaggy...

Cliffs
Some of the guys are still doubting it over there, but most are convinced. There are a ton of threads discussing it. Here are some cliffs (not written by me) -

- CandyJunkie creates thread telling Misc. he'll overdose himself again on drugs live on Justin.tv
- CandyJunkie posts the amount of drugs he's going to take
- Mods don't take it seriously because of his past trolling
- People egg him on
- CandyJunkie posts a copied suicide note
- People keep egging him on
- He pops the pills and goes to sleep
- He breathes for a few hours, people think he's going to be alright and keep joking and trash talking on his JTV log.
- Some time later many people realize he was not moving.
- I find his personal details through E-detectivery, I figure out his name and number and location.
- Personal details posted on Misc. I request people to call the cops because I live in India and had no way to make International calls all by myself.
- People tell me he's a troll and nobody calls. Staberella especially is quite a huge cynic and says that he wasn't going to die on that kind of drugs, she insists nothing is going to happen and that people should just gtfo of the thread.
- I send an email to Miami Police on their official email on their website, Email not functioning!
- I call Miami Police from my dad's phone and speak to at least three cops and one person from the 911 line (whatever it is) for over 8 minutes about the situation, the people there do not take the case seriously and tell me to call the sheriff of his county, and give me the sheriff's number even after I told them I was speaking from a different country and that this was an emergency.
- I post the sheriff's number on the Misc. thread
- People tell me to quit worrying and that they're 100% sure its a loop and he's just fraudin'
-jjlee138 (Rep this dude) calls the Broward County Sheriff's office and speaks to them about the situation along with a couple of other people. By the time I called, it turns out 3 people had already called them about it.
- People wait for the cops to bust in on the JTV cam.
- Some people start thinking nobody called the cops, at least 5 more people call the cops, they were told the cops were on it
- 25 minutes after the first call to the cops, the cops bust in. They cover the webcam
- People speculating whether he's dead or not
- At this point of time a lot of people start deleting/editing their posts everywhere. PM me for the original thread content.
- Friends post messages on his myspace worried about him, no response from him.
- His best friend posts a thread on the Misc. and informs the people that he's dead.
- Some people still think its a bluff

http://www.shaggybevo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22594

patient1019
11-21-2008, 03:50 PM
Colossal fail.

How utterly idiotic.

TheDarkSide15
11-21-2008, 03:53 PM
dont blame the internet for stupid...

Pinion
11-21-2008, 03:56 PM
I dont see a problem really. I mean, if someone wants to off themselves for real, they're gonna do it anyway. If they're just looking for attention they're gonna use different methods completely.

I guess I can see where it's kinda screwed up and all though. Some people are too far gone to be reached. Sounds like this young man was. Shame to see a life come to an end like that, but what can you do?

tayb
11-21-2008, 04:55 PM
Another reason to stay the hell away from video blogging. Imagine one of those kids egging this guy on and he actually ends up committing suicide right in front of you.

TheDarkSide15
11-21-2008, 04:55 PM
Another reason to stay the hell away from video blogging. Imagine one of those kids egging this guy on and he actually ends up committing suicide right in front of you.

The guy is a coward...

slorch
11-21-2008, 05:00 PM
I get a bit Darwinian in situations like these.

Stupid people have it coming...

TheDarkSide15
11-21-2008, 05:02 PM
I get a bit Darwinian in situations like these.

Stupid people have it coming...

Not even that...

hes just a huge Pu**y for going out like that....

tayb
11-21-2008, 05:04 PM
The guy is a coward...

I know but I would have a sick feeling in my stomach if I was making fun of some guy to his face and egging him to commit suicide only to watch him go ahead and do it and see him die.

I don't know... I watched a man weaving in and out of traffic on his motorcycle and then slamming into the back of the van in front of me. Watching another human being die is awful...

TheDarkSide15
11-21-2008, 05:06 PM
I know but I would have a sick feeling in my stomach if I was making fun of some guy to his face and egging him to commit suicide only to watch him go ahead and do it and see him die.

I don't know... I watched a man weaving in and out of traffic on his motorcycle and then slamming into the back of the van in front of me. Watching another human being die is awful...

indeed... all parties involved are stupid

Pinion
11-21-2008, 05:13 PM
He deserved to die.

Signed,
Lonny

slorch
11-21-2008, 07:57 PM
He deserved to die.

Signed,
Lonny

kind of hard to dispute when the perp did it to himself purposefully...

just sayin...

t-long20
11-21-2008, 08:01 PM
We have a Darwin award candidate...

wesaxman34
11-21-2008, 08:53 PM
What's with that body building forum? The only things I know of from that site is the crazy girl on jtk's avatar and now someone posting a suicide note on there.

Slim-Rob
11-21-2008, 10:11 PM
Yeah that site is crazy.

and it is hard to see someone die in front of you. People may joke about it, but when you see it happen, it's hard to forget.

patient1019
11-22-2008, 12:26 AM
What's with that body building forum? The only things I know of from that site is the crazy girl on jtk's avatar and now someone posting a suicide note on there.

Them tools be fraudin brah

Slim-Rob
11-22-2008, 12:43 AM
Them tools be fraudin brah

this

stevefoxsc
11-22-2008, 10:36 AM
this isn't anything new, a few months ago there was some chick on yahoo who started slitting her wrist and everything in the bathtub. I saw the video and was like... Welcome to the internet, this new suicide on the internet thing isn't anything new like i said, but it will severely shake up some things in the future.

svhorns
11-22-2008, 10:57 AM
WTF... seriously... are we this dumb as a society... that website is full of idiots... BIG idiots... I would shut that website down in a second if I had the chance to do so... the girl thing was borderline immature and just plain dumb and now this non-sense... stupid... stupid... stupid...

Pinion
11-24-2008, 02:21 PM
I saw on the news this morning there is already someone looking to sue anyone and everyone on that web board over this.

It's ********. He wanted to die. He died. Case closed. The only one to blame is the one that killed himself.

SLC
11-24-2008, 02:22 PM
I saw on the news this morning there is already someone looking to sue anyone and everyone on that web board over this.

It's ********. He wanted to die. He died. Case closed. The only one to blame is the one that killed himself.

This.

rocketgrl94
11-24-2008, 02:32 PM
IDK do u think its really right to keep on egging this man on when he already has a weak mind and suicidal they should have intervened....and im not sayin' they should sue either.

whats wrong with people nowadays....people need serious help but sometimes they just wanna see u fail its sad:(

Pinion
11-24-2008, 02:44 PM
IDK do u think its really right to keep on egging this man on when he already has a weak mind and suicidal they should have intervened....and im not sayin' they should sue either.

whats wrong with people nowadays....people need serious help but sometimes they just wanna see u fail its sad:(

I dont necessarily see a problem with it. It's weeding out the useless. He's contributed nothing to society other than giving us something to talk about.

DragonWatcher
11-24-2008, 06:30 PM
I dont necessarily see a problem with it. It's weeding out the useless. He's contributed nothing to society other than giving us something to talk about.

Unless he was mentally ill, which many suicidal people are. The kid could have been helped, and the world isn't a better or stronger place without him. There's no telling what he could have contributed in the future.

Pinion
11-24-2008, 06:35 PM
Unless he was mentally ill, which many suicidal people are. The kid could have been helped, and the world isn't a better or stronger place without him. There's no telling what he could have contributed in the future.

If he was mentally ill, and that is a whole seperate issue requiring its own thread, why was he not under care?

SLC
11-24-2008, 06:46 PM
If he was mentally ill, and that is a whole seperate issue requiring its own thread, why was he not under care?

I dont think he was mentally ill though.

jakerz
11-24-2008, 06:50 PM

The website should take no blame...people egged him on but oh well he shouldnt have been in that situation in the first place.

Him having a weak mind is his own fault.

jakerz
11-24-2008, 06:51 PM
I dont think he was mentally ill though.

He was certainly mentally ill....the dude killed himself.

Pinion
11-24-2008, 06:57 PM

exactly. There is a degree of mental illness that goes into that level of depression/anxiety.
That's such a grey line as to when is someone so mentally ill to where they need to be committed.
I dont want to get too far off into that subject here as I become very hardline and hypocritical. haha. really though, I do.

SLC
11-24-2008, 07:09 PM

No he was mentally F***** up. Period. Mentally ill people get help.

jakerz
11-24-2008, 07:16 PM

We all can't get help ;)

He just wasn't strong enough and that's his own fault.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7689522.stm

Manifested in his own demise. Poor fellow

Pinion
11-24-2008, 07:19 PM

That's not all the time true. Plus sometimes these "attempts" at suicide are how they reach out for help.

odd statistic. I dont recall the exact numbers from class, but guys are 3 times as likely to have a successful suicide than women.

SLC
11-24-2008, 07:21 PM
We all can't get help ;)

He just wasn't strong enough and that's his own fault.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7689522.stm

Manifested in his own demise. Poor fellow

Sure you can get help. Walk your A** into the hospital and tell em you need help.

4th and 1
11-24-2008, 07:23 PM
Real unfortunate from every angle. A young life terminated, his parents and faamily having to live with this memory, and the fact that this will unfortunately give other disturbed individuals twisted ideas without considering the consequences.

SLC
11-24-2008, 07:26 PM
This thread made me think of Brandon Vedas... A similar death.. overdose on webcam....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Vedas

mad_fan
11-24-2008, 07:36 PM
This thread made me think of Brandon Vedas... A similar death.. overdose on webcam....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Vedas

This post...and all of yours...make he think about your avatar...:D