PDA

View Full Version : The Woodlands dominates 5A Cross Country Meet....

Sicemhorns09
11-16-2008, 02:01 AM
Congrats to the Highlanders!!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/hso/6114622.html

ROUND ROCK — What a day for The Woodlands.

At the Class 5A state cross country meet on Saturday, the Highlanders dominated as Reed Connor and Sarah Andrews won the boys and girls races and each team won its respective title at Old Settler’s Park.

“It’s amazing,” Connor said. “I never thought it would happen.”

Of all the championships The Woodlands boys cross country teams have won over the years, Saturday’s was one of the most special for head coach Dan Green.

Green, who is in his final season as the Highlanders’ head boys cross country coach, saw his unit complete a three-peat with a score of 56 points. The Woodlands’ third straight state championship is its 15th overall.

“These guys are very special,” Green said. “This is sweet. I’ve been so blessed throughout my career, and I’m just so happy to be here in this moment.”

Green will retire after 33 seasons at the helm. He also led The Woodlands boys to 31 district championships and 26 regional titles.

Connor, a senior competing in his third state meet, took home the gold for the first time, posting a 5,000-meter time of 14:47.19.

Connor, who finished 35th at the 2007 state meet because he fell going up a hill late in the race, persevered and stayed upright for the entire meet, despite the strong winds ranging from 20 to 25 miles per hour that gusted up to over 30 mph.

“Last year I was doing all the work, but mentally, I didn’t have it all together,” he said. “I knew I had it (this time). All week I’ve been thinking to myself, ‘You’re going to be the next state champion.’ ”

Andrews, a junior, capped off quite a year with Saturday’s performance, in which she posted a 3,200-meter time of 10:44.49.

She won the 3,200-meter run at the Class 5A track meet in the spring as a sophomore and notched several big wins during this cross country season, including a victory at the prestigious Nike South Invitational.

“It has been a real exciting year,” she said. “I feel like I’ve improved a lot.”

The Highlanders cruised to the girls title, scoring 61 points. It is the second team title in school history and first since 1989.

“We were disappointed after finishing seventh last year,” girls coach Noel Hansen said. “Our motto this year was, ‘Finish Strong,’ and we stressed that when we ended every practice.”

The Seven Lakes boys medaled as a team, finishing second with 87 points. Jimmy Welin (15:11.23, fourth), C.J. Jessett (15:20.45, seventh) and Chase Rathke (15:28.32, ninth) all finished in the top 10.

Owl, Been there Done that
11-16-2008, 04:20 AM
Congrats to the Highlanders!!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/hso/6114622.html

congrats, you run.... on grass..

yankee
11-16-2008, 01:59 PM
congrats, you run.... on grass..

yeah. no training or commitment involved at all. :rolleyes: