PDA

View Full Version : USC-National Champion

nsmustang
06-03-2005, 11:35 AM
Can't see any one knocking off USC this year with so many returning players from a champion team last year. Yeah, I would love it if Texas got the crown but I think USC will be the hands down champion. Thoughts anyone?

TheDuke
06-03-2005, 11:44 AM
Just Texas when they play in the National Championship! :D

farmerfan
06-03-2005, 12:36 PM
The loss of Chow will be tough to handle on the offensive end, however they have a veteran QB coming back who will allow Sarkisian plenty of room for error in his play calling. The recruits that they have piled in to go along with the coaching of Pete Carroll and staff, make the Trojans the clear cut favorite on paper. Playing in the Pac-10 is also a glide into the BCS title game for USC, Arkansas and Notre Dame are the only two games that could give the Trojans some trouble, Notre Dame because its in South Bend and Arkansas becasue they always seem to hit their peak within the first few games of the year. If Carrol stays at USC much longer he will have that program challenging OU's record win streak. He has pretty much built a wall around the southern California recruting hotbed, and he has his choice of who he wants.
The scary thing is that I think USC will be much better this year than they were a year ago, with the numbers they have returning on the offensive end, they are going to b flat out scary.

nsmustang
06-03-2005, 04:17 PM
Exactly my thoughts Farmer. The way they dismantled OU was too much and then I discovered they have so many returning players from that team is a lot to handle.

nsmustang
06-03-2005, 04:19 PM
Farmerfan, what high school are you aligned with?

farmerfan
06-03-2005, 04:42 PM
Farmerfan, what high school are you aligned with?

I am a fan of the Lewisville Fighting Famers, grew up my entire life in Lewisville and got to say I was around for the most productive years in the programs 100+ year history. Even though we may have struggled as of late, I still love em, something about the maroon and white and Big John always make football season exciting rather we win or lose.

jtk1519
06-03-2005, 06:20 PM
USC should be able to walk into the NC game. They play in arguably the weakest "major" conference... a conference that doesnt play a conference championship game. Sure, they have road games at Oregon, Cal and Notre dame, but none of those teams are going to put up much of a fight and those are probably the toughest teams USC will play all year.

That being said, I think they will lose the Rose Bowl. There are a lot of really good teams this year and I can think of a couple that are capable of stopping the Trojans.

farmerfan
06-03-2005, 06:31 PM
The fact the the BCS national title game is being played in Pasadena benefits USC more than any other team. There are a couple of teams who could give USC a run for their money in Pasadena, teams that come to mind are Texas, Florida, Virgina Tech, Ohio State and Tennesee. I think the field is wide open for the number 2 spot this year and can not wait for the season to start.

Lakelover
06-04-2005, 08:32 PM
USC lost 5 coaches from last year's staff, including OL, and DL as well as Chow. Will be difficult to just plug in a new staff and expect the same results even though the talent level is excellent. OL & DL play will determine success or failure. I expect them to lose at least one regular season game early in the year while they are adjusting.

nsmustang
06-06-2005, 08:10 AM
I kinda thought that but wasn't sure. I remember Lewisville taking Judson by a wide margin in (96?). They must have had an incredible team that year. What has happened since? Were they watered down on talent from other schools?

I am a fan of the Lewisville Fighting Famers, grew up my entire life in Lewisville and got to say I was around for the most productive years in the programs 100+ year history. Even though we may have struggled as of late, I still love em, something about the maroon and white and Big John always make football season exciting rather we win or lose.

farmerfan
06-06-2005, 02:35 PM
Lewisville stayed a strong program up until 2001, our 01 team was as good as our 93 team was. Coach Gage called it the fastest team he had ever coached. We went 9-1 that year with our only loss being a 20-17 OT thriller at Mesquite against the eventual state champion Skeeters, we had the ball inside their 5 going in for the winning score only to fumble it away. After that we had 9 straight victories and opened up the playoffs against a red hot Fossil Ridge team led by Michael Dupresit and Zach Dahman, the DMN had project both Lewisville and Mesquite to walk into a semifinal rematch which everyone in the metroplex had anticipated, well Fossil Ridge beat us by 3, we had the ball 4th and goal on their 3, our blast play had been killing them all game with Michael Sampson running the ball, so instead of going for the tie and forcing OT, Coach Gage went for the TD, I agreed with the call at the time, and still do, however they stoped us and won the game. Had we beaten Fossil Ridge we would have gotten a rematch with Mesquite and it would have been one heck of a ball game, Mesquite does not get enough credit for how good their 01 team was, I believe they would have given Lufkin everything they could have handled that year and possibly beat them.
After 96, we went 7-5 in 97, 8-3 in 98, 11-1 in 99, 10-2 in 00 and 9-2, after that we have fallen off some.
As far as what has happend to us, it is a number of things, I am not going to say it all falls on the opening of FMHS, but that has hurt us a bit, it also has to do with the will of the kids as well as talent. For a 10+ year stretch we had some unbelievable talent going through Lewisville, As of late we have been lacking in size, speed and at times heart. I see that changing eventually, and hopefully sooner than later
Yes in 96 we were able to beat Judson pretty easily, something you dont hear to often. We just had one of those special teams, I believe we had the best running game to ever come through the 5A ranks, we had 4 1000 yard rushers, and a defense that was a metroplex top 5 defense all year. In the playoffs we beat 5 district champions including back to back unbeaten teams. I will admit that everyone in Lewisville was expecting to play against the likes of Cedric Comer and Galena Park North Shore, when we saw that Judson had beat you guys a lot of us thought it was a misprint. I am gald we got the opportunity to beat Judson, anytime you can say you won a state title by defeating the Rockets that is quite the compliment for your program.

KT2000
06-06-2005, 02:54 PM
Agree with JTK about USC being able to "crab walk" into a Rose Bowl spot. They have a lot of questions with new coaches, and what should be a young defense. They had a couple of key guys leave early for the draft, but those spots will be filled by players from USC's last two or three championship recruiting classes.

Carroll is a defensive minded coach, so I think he'll have the Trojans ready to go on that side. Also, it helps that they'll have the most talented offense in the history of college football taking pressure off of them. The defense should have more than enough time to come together because of the offense.

The only way USC loses before January is if these two things happen...

1. A lot of turnovers, just one of those crappy days
2. Global catastrophy (worldwide tsunami, nuclear war)

Basically, their biggest enemy will be themselves. On paper, the only other team in the country that can match up with USC's talent man for man is Texas. Obviously, the Horns will have a few more hurdles to jump than USC in order to get back to the Rose Bowl but the team will be capable. Clearly, this is Texas' best chance to earn a trip to the big game despite losing Benson and Derrick Johnson. Everyone else is back. If Texas can't do it this year (especially after the way Vince took control in the second half of last season) it may not ever happen in the Brown tenure.

For some reason, Ohio State is a sexy pick in the preview mags so far but I think that's partially due to people being afraid to pick Texas on the road. However, if you look at the numbers in the Brown era, the Longhorns have been very good on the road (in fact, played some of their best games...see OSU 2003 or Tech 2004 for recent examples, neutrals not included).

I think Michigan should be the Big 10 favorite because of what Henne and Hart accomplished last year as true freshmen. Edwards notwithstanding, the Wolverines have very good receivers on campus.

farmerfan
06-06-2005, 04:27 PM
I think OSU is a appealing pick mainly due to their defense. A case could be made that Ohio State has the best linebacking corp in America led by AJ Hawk, Marcus Freeman and Anthon S, dont know how to spell is last name. Their secondary is big and fast, and will give many recieving corps a difficult time.
On offense they are led by a fierce 1-2 punch in Ginn Jr and Santonio Holmes, if they can get any production out of their running game then they could become a pretty potent offense.
The best matchup in this game is going to be the fundamental tackling of Ohio State against the running of Vince Young. I am looking forward to seeing if Vince can make the runs on Ohio State that he did against Michigan.
Another reason OSU is getting so much love is the way they ended the season a year ago, beating Michigan and the other OSU badly. If they pick up this year where last year ended then they are going to be a national title contender.
KT, you make a good point about Texas and their road record under Brown, in your own opinion do you think they have ever gone into a environment as hostile as "The Shoe" against a team as talented as Ohio State? I know Arkansas and A&M are fierce when the horns come to town, but I dont know if they have ever played against a team as talented as OSU while playing in such a tough environment. What are your thoughts?

nsmustang
06-07-2005, 08:39 AM
Lewisville stayed a strong program up until 2001, our 01 team was as good as our 93 team was. Coach Gage called it the fastest team he had ever coached. We went 9-1 that year with our only loss being a 20-17 OT thriller at Mesquite against the eventual state champion Skeeters, we had the ball inside their 5 going in for the winning score only to fumble it away. After that we had 9 straight victories and opened up the playoffs against a red hot Fossil Ridge team led by Michael Dupresit and Zach Dahman, the DMN had project both Lewisville and Mesquite to walk into a semifinal rematch which everyone in the metroplex had anticipated, well Fossil Ridge beat us by 3, we had the ball 4th and goal on their 3, our blast play had been killing them all game with Michael Sampson running the ball, so instead of going for the tie and forcing OT, Coach Gage went for the TD, I agreed with the call at the time, and still do, however they stoped us and won the game. Had we beaten Fossil Ridge we would have gotten a rematch with Mesquite and it would have been one heck of a ball game, Mesquite does not get enough credit for how good their 01 team was, I believe they would have given Lufkin everything they could have handled that year and possibly beat them.
After 96, we went 7-5 in 97, 8-3 in 98, 11-1 in 99, 10-2 in 00 and 9-2, after that we have fallen off some.
As far as what has happend to us, it is a number of things, I am not going to say it all falls on the opening of FMHS, but that has hurt us a bit, it also has to do with the will of the kids as well as talent. For a 10+ year stretch we had some unbelievable talent going through Lewisville, As of late we have been lacking in size, speed and at times heart. I see that changing eventually, and hopefully sooner than later
Yes in 96 we were able to beat Judson pretty easily, something you dont hear to often. We just had one of those special teams, I believe we had the best running game to ever come through the 5A ranks, we had 4 1000 yard rushers, and a defense that was a metroplex top 5 defense all year. In the playoffs we beat 5 district champions including back to back unbeaten teams. I will admit that everyone in Lewisville was expecting to play against the likes of Cedric Comer and Galena Park North Shore, when we saw that Judson had beat you guys a lot of us thought it was a misprint. I am gald we got the opportunity to beat Judson, anytime you can say you won a state title by defeating the Rockets that is quite the compliment for your program.

That was good game Shore had against a tough Judson team . You could tell Judson came to play and took Shore by surprise early on the kickoff. Shore was able to muster enough to make a game out of it though Cormeir, after being blasted on the opening kickoff really ran rampant on them. Once he was in the secondary he amassed yardage all day on Aymond's signature play, the lead draw. However, it was a good Judson team and they won it fair and square. I was taken aback the next week after seeing what Lewisville did against Judson. I thought "My God! I'm glad Shore didn't play them!"
It sounds like Lewisville is still a formidable team but has not had another state appearance (like North Shore).

nsmustang
06-07-2005, 08:44 AM
KT- I know Texas made a great showing last year in Rose Bowl but I hope that was not fluke. I'm ok with the team but Brown's coaching is still suspect to me.
I hope Young has matured (and I think he has) enough to to make those championship decisions on the field every game, every play, that winners do. I would love nothing better than to see them bring the title to Texas. On any given day..........

rattlerbacker
06-07-2005, 01:11 PM
farmerfan, not KT here but as a longtime Horn fan the biggest road win in Mack's tenure IMO was in 1998 when an unranked Texas team went to Nebraska and beat the #7 ranked Huskers, breaking their 47 game home winning streak. That was Solich's first season and they were coming off a national championship season. I would say that Nebraska, especially back in those days, was just as hostile an environment as you could find. That Nebraska team finished 9-4 but were still a very talented squad. They went 12-1 the next year and finished #2 in one poll and #3 in the other.

farmerfan
06-07-2005, 02:17 PM
The one thing to Brown and Texas's credit is that they have ended two of the longest home winning streaks in America at the time, Nebraska in 98 and Nebraska in 02? or somewhere around that time.
Recently they won in Fayetville which after watching that game you have to give credit to Texas for coming out of that game with a win (hold on to the football matt jones). OSU is going to be a challenge and if they come out of Columbus with a victory, then I think you see Texas run the table to Pasadena.

nsmustang
06-07-2005, 03:29 PM
I was pleasantly surprised with OU-Texas last year. Even though Texas lost, I thought they held a good OU team down to only 12 points. If Mack's offense can move this year, I look for them to beat OU. Everyone now keys on Young. I'm also curious to see if Jamaal will play this year. With his speed it would be hard to keep him off the field. What a threat with him and Young. The OSU game will be good test to see how they do.

businesstron
06-18-2005, 07:33 AM
The one thing to Brown and Texas's credit is that they have ended two of the longest home winning streaks in America at the time, Nebraska in 98 and Nebraska in 02? or somewhere around that time.
Recently they won in Fayetville which after watching that game you have to give credit to Texas for coming out of that game with a win (hold on to the football matt jones). OSU is going to be a challenge and if they come out of Columbus with a victory, then I think you see Texas run the table to Pasadena.

Living 20 minutes from Fayetteville that week after Texas beat Arkansas had the be the sweetest week for me in last fall. The radio and news up here were crying about that loss for atleast 3 weeks after the fact. USC does have a cakewalk, They might have problems with Cal and Fresno State, because they play @ Cal(and they could probably beat them this year) and because Fresno State is so close.....I could be wrong though.