PDA

View Full Version : Odessa Permian

SoCal Coach
04-06-2005, 06:43 PM
I know the Panthers got Gaines back as the AD, but anyone know who they got for the HC position? What is this guys credentials? What are the expectations?

dragonsdaddy
04-06-2005, 06:48 PM
not an expert on mojo, but that is a position that could launch a career. it could also be the hardest job going. their noteriety is off the charts and they have one of the winningest programs in texas, and have surprisingly not imploded with 6 years of mediocrity. the right coach and some luck could bring a return to playoff success, and local sainthood.

odessapermian.com
04-06-2005, 07:48 PM
New coach at Permian is Darren Allman. This is his first head caoching gig. He was an all district safety for Permian in 1985-86 under Coaches Wilkins and Gaines. He previously coached at Cleveland, Tx, Brownwood (coached under WT Stapler and Steve Freeman- 6 years as DC) , Temple, and Highland Park. He has been given the reins by Gaines with full understanding that he'll have time to get the ship righted. So far it is looking promising. The offseason workouts look much more intense than they have in quite a while. Allman and the assistants he has hired have West Texas ties, so they and their families won't experience the culture shock that the previous two regimes experienced.

http://www.odessapermian.com

Red Raiders
04-06-2005, 09:37 PM
What happent to the coach in the Friday Night Lights? He retired? I forgot.

04mojo16
04-06-2005, 10:11 PM
Gary Gaines is now the athletic director in Odessa now.

Red Raiders
04-12-2005, 04:44 PM
Gary Gaines is now the athletic director in Odessa now.

Is he a good coach?

SummitGrad04
04-12-2005, 05:03 PM
Is he a good coach?
From my understanding, Gaines was Permian's coach during the time period portrayed in the movie.

Red Raiders
04-12-2005, 05:10 PM
From my understanding, Gaines was Permian's coach during the time period portrayed in the movie.

Whoops, I didn't know that, sorry though.

Chief Wahoo
04-12-2005, 09:13 PM

Yes, Gaines was the coach at the time that the FNL book was being penned. After leaving the Permian job, he went to San Angelo Central, then Abilene High and then to ACU (Abilene Christian University) which is where he was when the EISD hired him. I think it was a good hire myself. :cool:

Texasfrog
04-12-2005, 09:29 PM
Not an expert on Odessa. But, I believe that some of the school zone lines have been changed out in Odessa and it took some of the talented areas of Odessa away from Permain and into Odessa Highs school zone.

Maybe Gaines coming back and filling the Odessa "AD" post. He'll get some of those school zone lines changed around to favor Permain.

I kind of liked the old days when Permain was a true yearly powerhouse program in Texas.

Alamo_Mojo
04-12-2005, 09:41 PM
I can relate to that! I rememeber when the school zone went right down through the middle of my bedroom in Odessa. I was in the Odessa High district momentarily until I just shoved my bed on the other side of the bedroom! Instantly I became a panther and I was in the right school zone! I rarely ever crossed the line - just bathroom breaks in the middle of the night :cool: