PDA

View Full Version : $2 bills in Kyrgyzstan

lonny23
11-19-2005, 08:43 AM
Yes, it's true. They might not take $2 bills at Taco Bell's in DFW, but they do take them in rural Kyrgyzstan! :eek:

We had a great hike today. This place isn't Kyrgyzdirt like somebody said. There are a lot of forests and trees up here near the Kazakhstan border and there are mountains all over Kyrgyzstan going up to 24K. The mountains close to us go to about 14K. We probably hiked up to about 8-9K today and had to walk through snow and ice a lot of the way. It was absolutely beautiful and I was surprised the weather warmed up like it did. It was about 20 degrees when we left the base and I thought it might be around zero for the hike, but it was warm enough that I started hiking without my coat. I got some good pictures of all the mountains and stood in the Alamedin River to take a few, too.

After the hike, we stopped to eat at the 12 Chimneys Restaurant. I pigged out big-time there. I had a salad that was really a meal with all the shrimp and some kind of fish and then ate lamb. The lamb tasted somewhat like meat loaf at first, but the spices made it taste a lot better. They had horse on the menu, but it was for a feast and I don't think the people with me would've gone for it. I wanted to eat it in honor of Westfield! :p The location is beautiful because it's also on the banks of the Alamedin River in the mountains close to where we hiked at. They have huge cabins on the river for $100/night, but I've heard some rooms on Lake Issyk-Kul go for $50/night and that place is awesome. It's the 2nd highest altitude for an alpine lake in the world behind Beavis' favorite, Lake Titicaca in Peru and Bolivia.

We were sitting in the restaurant eating and somebody said, "Look there's a $2 bill on the (fireplace) mantle." I looked and told all the guys that somebody in Dallas wouldn't take one at a Taco Bell because he thought it was counterfeit and I was going to take a picture of it! :D

BigArab
11-19-2005, 02:27 PM
Yes, it's true. They might not take $2 bills at Taco Bell's in DFW, but they do take them in rural Kyrgyzstan! :eek:

We had a great hike today. This place isn't Kyrgyzdirt like somebody said. There are a lot of forests and trees up here near the Kazakhstan border and there are mountains all over Kyrgyzstan going up to 24K. The mountains close to us go to about 14K. We probably hiked up to about 8-9K today and had to walk through snow and ice a lot of the way. It was absolutely beautiful and I was surprised the weather warmed up like it did. It was about 20 degrees when we left the base and I thought it might be around zero for the hike, but it was warm enough that I started hiking without my coat. I got some good pictures of all the mountains and stood in the Alamedin River to take a few, too.

After the hike, we stopped to eat at the 12 Chimneys Restaurant. I pigged out big-time there. I had a salad that was really a meal with all the shrimp and some kind of fish and then ate lamb. The lamb tasted somewhat like meat loaf at first, but the spices made it taste a lot better. They had horse on the menu, but it was for a feast and I don't think the people with me would've gone for it. I wanted to eat it in honor of Westfield! :p The location is beautiful because it's also on the banks of the Alamedin River in the mountains close to where we hiked at. They have huge cabins on the river for $100/night, but I've heard some rooms on Lake Issyk-Kul go for $50/night and that place is awesome. It's the 2nd highest altitude for an alpine lake in the world behind Beavis' favorite, Lake Titicaca in Peru and Bolivia.

We were sitting in the restaurant eating and somebody said, "Look there's a $2 bill on the (fireplace) mantle." I looked and told all the guys that somebody in Dallas wouldn't take one at a Taco Bell because he thought it was counterfeit and I was going to take a picture of it! :D

Sounds like a very cool place. I've been wanting to go on vacation to some former Soviet Republics. Do you suggest that area or is it pretty much shut off?

lonny23
11-19-2005, 03:14 PM
Sounds like a very cool place. I've been wanting to go on vacation to some former Soviet Republics. Do you suggest that area or is it pretty much shut off?
I think this is the best former republic to go to. They don't have as much political strife as Uzbekistan and it looks prettier than the other central asian republics. I think you'd be more accepted here than in Russia, too. I can't speak for the European republics, but this place is awesome.

They have travel agents on the Internet that advertise trips over here.

mad_fan
11-19-2005, 06:43 PM
I wouldn't take a $2 bill from you in San Angelo (the home of the $3 bill)! :D

dragons08
11-19-2005, 11:24 PM
so i guess you didnt get lost...some guys better pay me my 30000000 bucks back..

lonny23
11-20-2005, 09:30 AM
I wouldn't take a $2 bill from you in San Angelo (the home of the $3 bill)! :D
I'd gladly take your money! :D

lonny23
11-20-2005, 09:31 AM
so i guess you didnt get lost...some guys better pay me my 30000000 bucks back..
You guys aren't getting rid of me. Harlingen beating Judson wouldn't even do it.