PDA

View Full Version : LarsUlrich, Overrated?

Redneckn
11-18-2005, 06:28 PM
Do you think LarsUlrich of Metallica is overrated as a drummer?

I don't. I have sat down beside a set and watched him play and I think he could be the best drummer the world has ever known...

Thoughts...

KT2000
11-18-2005, 06:34 PM
I would say he is just because he hasn't done anything very innovative (in my opinion) on any of their albums since "And Justice for All". MOP is by far his and the band's best album.

Terry Bozzio is the best drummer I've heard. Ian Pace and Neal Peart are also two extremely good ones. Of course, everyone will mention John Bonham in any drummer thread.

Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater is awesome. Danny Carey (sp?) of Tool is also highly regarded. A lot of people mention Carter Beauford from Dave Matthews Band,.

Lars is good, and Metallica's my favorite overall band along with Dream Theater, but I believe there are better drummers out there.

mad_fan
11-18-2005, 06:46 PM
Do you think LarsUlrich of Metallica is overrated as a drummer?

I don't. I have sat down beside a set and watched him play and I think he could be the best drummer the world has ever known...

Thoughts...

He's the SA Madison of rock music...not overrated, not underrated, not rated.

jtk1519
11-18-2005, 06:58 PM
No way Lars is overrated (though he looks like a complete ***hole). Carter Beauford is the best drummer alive (if you don't believe me, go to a DMB show), but Lars is up there.

The thing I like the most about Lars and Beauford is that they have very distinctive individual styles that really make an impact on the music... they are not just part of a rhythm section in the background. Their drumming has a personality of it's own and I love that.

As an amateur drummer, I have a list of favorites...

Lars and Beauford of course
Neil Peart - Rush
Larry Mullin Jr. - U2
Mark Stoermer - The Killers (a great up-and-coming guy)
Will Champion - Coldplay (same as Stoermer above)
Rick Allen - Def Leppard (anybody that can play the drums with just one arm is pretty awesome)
Mick Fleetwood - Fleetwood Mac (the ruler by which all drummers are measured in my book)
David Grohl - Nirvana/Foo Fighters
Shannon Larkin - Godsmack
?uestlove - The Roots

KT2000
11-18-2005, 07:00 PM
Go DL some Terry Bozzio and you'll have an entirely new outlook on drumming. Nice list.

jc84chill
11-18-2005, 07:29 PM
YES ...I have always thought he was waaaaay overrated.

I play the drums and you can literally listen to a majority of Metallica's songs and play it with a years experience.

Redneckn
11-18-2005, 07:37 PM
As a drummer, it tickles me to death that any of y'all even give a crap much less actually play. That's kool.

I still have to say Lars is PDG.
Sure there are better drummers, but that's life...

Anything to do with Coldplay is b.s. They are horrible.

An overlooked drummer that is PDG: Alex VanHalen.

The band "Trapt", their drummer is pretty good. He's young, but good.
DaveGrohl is good. He is a very "basic" style player, but he has perfected his style of playing. Not a lot of drummers have perfected their styles.

U2's drummer is good. But his singer makes him look like a ******.
Trent Reznor of NIN is a pretty darn good drummer. Again, he has perfected his style of playing.

Disturbed drummer (dont know name right off) is pretty good.

KT2000
11-18-2005, 07:41 PM
Didn't AVH actually start playing the guitar and EVH played the drums as kids. Good call on the switch I think.

Redneckn
11-18-2005, 07:49 PM
Didn't AVH actually start playing the guitar and EVH played the drums as kids. Good call on the switch I think.

That seems correct.. But I could be wrong. I have never been a big VanHalen junkie, but that does seem right.
After DLR was booted, I didnt care for them as much.

wide-e-wide
11-18-2005, 08:47 PM
Lars Ulrich side by side vs. Sheila E.

who wins?

jtk1519
11-18-2005, 10:31 PM
U2 has one of the greatest rhythm section in the history of rock music... surpassed only by John McVie & Mick Fleetwood of Fleetwood Mac, Roger Waters & Nick Mason of Pink Floyd and Geddy Lee & Neil Peart of Rush.

wide-e-wide
11-18-2005, 10:34 PM
Again...Sheila E...

No love for Sheila?

c'mon...I thought you guys knew your drummers...

jtk1519
11-18-2005, 10:38 PM
Sheila E = weak

wide-e-wide
11-18-2005, 10:47 PM
Sheila E = weak

Oh no my Longhorn brother...Sheila is not weak...

Granted it is an entirely different genre....but Sheila is among the best ever...

I saw her perform with Tito Puente' (also among the best ever) in Miami back in the day....dude the b.tch is bad...I'm telling you.

BigArab
11-18-2005, 10:49 PM
I would say he is just because he hasn't done anything very innovative (in my opinion) on any of their albums since "And Justice for All". MOP is by far his and the band's best album.

Terry Bozzio is the best drummer I've heard. Ian Pace and Neal Peart are also two extremely good ones. Of course, everyone will mention John Bonham in any drummer thread.

Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater is awesome. Danny Carey (sp?) of Tool is also highly regarded. A lot of people mention Carter Beauford from Dave Matthews Band,.

Lars is good, and Metallica's my favorite overall band along with Dream Theater, but I believe there are better drummers out there.

I love Dream Theater. I'm glad to see someone appreciates them. Portnoy is a jerk of all jerks though. If you think Lars is bad, go hang out with Portnoy. One of my good friends from college is a drumming virtusoso (he can play ANYTHING) and we went to a drum convention and he was there. My buddy told Portnoy that he could play all of his drum parts. Portnoy didn't believe him, so my friend sat down and proceeded to do the drum part to YTSE Jam and added even harder fills in there. Portnoy was rather upset and wouldn't talk to him or autograph anything for him. Talk about an ego maniac.

I think Lars has gone downhill since ...And Justice For All. I consider that album to be the apex of Metallica. They havne't put out anything that has interested me since.

My favorite drummers:

Danny Carey (gotta love him...6'5" guy can jam)
Mike Portnoy
Terry Bozzio ( http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/TerryBozzio.html )
Neil Peart
Matt Cameron

the list goes on and on

jtk1519
11-18-2005, 11:01 PM
Danny Carey's work with Tool is pretty awesome.

Redneckn
11-18-2005, 11:10 PM
That's one thing that bothers me.. A drummer with an ego... I mean, usually most drummers are prettykool to other drummers..

Or that is the experiences I've had..

Most drummers are weird about people watching them play too.

Yes, the last few years for Metallica has been odd...I met them on the "Black" tour in Shreveport and got to play Lars' set in Hirsch Coliseum. Granted, there weren't but about 50 people in there laying in pools of their own vomit and stuff, but it was still pretty kool. It really was a defining moment for me musically speaking. I came to the conclusion that moment that if I didn't get off me arse and do something with music within 2 years, I would never play professionally. I am a mechanic.
I sit around day in and day out drumming patterns in my head, on the desk, the keyboard, pots and pans in the kitchen. I tap a beat when I am sleeping. But I can't ever get it any of it together to my liking. I've played in about 8 bands, but it was mostly just stupid crap for small groups.. and Shreveport is NOT the mecca of music...haha..
I just play on the keys and synth's now since I cant have a set in the apartment. But it's not the same a set.
Oh well. I'll just keep typing beats on the computer and helping people fix other peoples stuff over the phone I guess.
Until Baby gets here.. And forces me to go to college.

Oh, and Wide.. How yougonna make fun of me listening to Yanni when you have the Shelia E thing we just recently found out about????

wide-e-wide
11-18-2005, 11:16 PM
Dude...

Don't even try to compare Sheila E. to Yanni...

Sheila E. toured with Prince...and there isn't a bigger **** hound in
the business...than Prince.

Plus she is a bad b.tch.

And Yanni...well...he's just a b.tch.

BigArab
11-18-2005, 11:17 PM
I understand Redneckn. I nearly forgoed college to move to LA to pursue being in a rock band. I play guitar and sing and I've always wanted to do that. Clearly, this was God's plan for me.

wide-e-wide
11-18-2005, 11:20 PM
I understand Redneckn. I nearly forgoed college to move to LA to pursue being in a rock band. I play guitar and sing and I've always wanted to do that. Clearly, this was God's plan for me.

God's plan was for you to live in house full of furniture that you can't sit on?

Damn...what did you do to piss God off? :p

jtk1519
11-18-2005, 11:20 PM
That's one thing that bothers me.. A drummer with an ego... I mean, usually most drummers are prettykool to other drummers..

Or that is the experiences I've had..

Most drummers are weird about people watching them play too.

Yes, the last few years for Metallica has been odd...I met them on the "Black" tour in Shreveport and got to play Lars' set in Hirsch Coliseum. Granted, there weren't but about 50 people in there laying in pools of their own vomit and stuff, but it was still pretty kool. It really was a defining moment for me musically speaking. I came to the conclusion that moment that if I didn't get off me arse and do something with music within 2 years, I would never play professionally. I am a mechanic.
I sit around day in and day out drumming patterns in my head, on the desk, the keyboard, pots and pans in the kitchen. I tap a beat when I am sleeping. But I can't ever get it any of it together to my liking. I've played in about 8 bands, but it was mostly just stupid crap for small groups.. and Shreveport is NOT the mecca of music...haha..
I just play on the keys and synth's now since I cant have a set in the apartment. But it's not the same a set.
Oh well. I'll just keep typing beats on the computer and helping people fix other peoples stuff over the phone I guess.
Until Baby gets here.. And forces me to go to college.

Oh, and Wide.. How yougonna make fun of me listening to Yanni when you have the Shelia E thing we just recently found out about????

I sold my set a while back, but I think I'm gonna start working on a new one in the future. My brother is a decent guitar player and I think when he and I move to Austin in a few monts, we are gonna try our hands at some stuff. Who knows what will happen, but I'm sure I will be happy to just play again.

BigArab
11-18-2005, 11:25 PM
God's plan was for you to live in house full of furniture that you can't sit on?

Damn...what did you do to piss God off? :p

She doesn't complain when I play guitar. She knows better. Her credit card gets taken away when she tries to shut down the guitaring. *evil laughter*

jc84chill
11-19-2005, 12:58 AM
ktchamp97 can play a mean guitar.

ktchamp97
11-21-2005, 02:53 PM
ktchamp97 can play a mean guitar.

I used-ta-could...sort of...maybe...

Bozzio is an alien,
Danny Carey and Tool are freaks...possibly aliens as well,
Portnoy is a ******,
Neal Peart showed them how it was done,

and Lars is overrated.

Redneckn
11-21-2005, 02:57 PM
I used-ta-could...sort of...maybe...

Bozzio is an alien,
Danny Carey and Tool are freaks...possibly aliens as well,
Portnoy is a ******,
Neal Peart showed them how it was done,

and Lars is overrated.

Lars is not over-rated. Hated maybe, but he is a good drummer. He's solid and consistant. Plus, he is an animated drummer. That is worth something right?

Tool are freaks. But they are good. Not kool like Primus, but good.

ktchamp97
11-21-2005, 04:22 PM
Lars is not over-rated. Hated maybe, but he is a good drummer. He's solid and consistant. Plus, he is an animated drummer. That is worth something right?

Tool are freaks. But they are good. Not kool like Primus, but good.

Lars is steady and consistent...there's no doubt about that. And he does put on qute a show back there, but he just doesn't belong on the same list as the other guys I listed. He's a very good, solid drummer who does his job and does it well, but I don't think he's great.

Redneckn
11-21-2005, 04:27 PM
Lars is steady and consistent...there's no doubt about that. And he does put on qute a show back there, but he just doesn't belong on the same list as the other guys I listed. He's a very good, solid drummer who does his job and does it well, but I don't think he's great.

I think he's great. By no means, the greatest. Prolly not even in top 10. But for sure in the top 20.

If Lars played for Aerosmith, he would not be great. He would suck. Like Aerosmiths drummer sucks.. Part of what makes Lars great is that he has accented Metallicas music really well.

ktchamp97
11-21-2005, 04:36 PM
I think he's great. By no means, the greatest. Prolly not even in top 10. But for sure in the top 20.

If Lars played for Aerosmith, he would not be great. He would suck. Like Aerosmiths drummer sucks.. Part of what makes Lars great is that he has accented Metallicas music really well.

Ok, we're actually on the same page then. By "great", I was thinking Top 10 of all-time, which he isn't and you agree...no problem :D.

I'm a big Metallica fan (pre-Re-load, that is) and I like Lars. He's the main reason Metallica became what it was. He had the vision and business sense that James et al needed in order to get the band off the ground. For that, he is definitely underrated.

Redneckn
11-21-2005, 04:55 PM
Ok, we're actually on the same page then. By "great", I was thinking Top 10 of all-time, which he isn't and you agree...no problem :D.

I'm a big Metallica fan (pre-Re-load, that is) and I like Lars. He's the main reason Metallica became what it was. He had the vision and business sense that James et al needed in order to get the band off the ground. For that, he is definitely underrated.

Yeah, I'm kinda the same way about the pre-reload stuff. I do kind of the like the "Some kind of monster" stuff though. It's different. I think it's mainly hard for people to accept Metallica "growing" out of their old style stuff. And I think people assume they are weak because they don't party like they used to. I don't party like I used to either..haha..

And you are for sure correct about Metallica getting where they are because of Lars. Without Lars, they would have made and album or 2 and then went away.

I would be in the top 10 if I could ever get these beats out of my head and onto some skins. But I can't make my hand and legs do what my mind does.
It's funny to say it, but it is one of the most frustrating things I've had to deal with in my 32 years. I can hear it in my head, peck it out with my fingers. But I can't re-create it on a set or even on my keys. I think by the time I'm 60 or so it will finally have driven me to full on insanity. I will be locked away in a padded room, tapping on stuff. Saying "I think I got it. No. I think I got it. No. I think I got it."

BigArab
11-21-2005, 08:35 PM
Of the hundreds of CDs I own, I love almost every one of them in their own way. Most people say "Well, it wasn't as good as their last album, etc. etc." I try not to look at it that way. I try to listen to it like its the first time I've ever listened to that band. Band's evolve album to album and those that stay the same are destined for mediocrity and to become one hit wonders. But I said almost. I really hated the new Metallica CD and some other CDs that I thought were garbage after listening to it several times.

Redneckn
11-21-2005, 09:34 PM
To me, I think after Bob Rock (i think is his name) got deeply deeply involved with Metallica is when it really started to change and so did their fan base.

I can't quite put my finger on what exactly is it that Rock does other seem to single the musicians parts away from each other. Because after the "Black" cd, their parts don't seem to really go together but on just a few songs.

It is about the same as what would happen if you took AC/DC guitar, Type-O-Negative bass, LinkinPark rhythm, and JamesHetfield. Said to them, here is a song, play it how youwould normally play a song.
It just doesnt blend. I think if we want Metallica back, we need to off BobRock and get Hetfield a case of beer.

BigArab
11-22-2005, 01:52 AM
Bob Rock is a horrible producer and a horrible person. Who wants to work with a guy that has absolutely nothing positive to say about anything your'e doing? How does Mr. Negativity have a job? He is what I would deem a "lifesucker" in the music industry. (much like Carson Daly....that guy is a cancer.)