PDA

View Full Version : Best Football In The Nation East Texas

pack98
06-01-2005, 07:00 AM
On Rivalls 100.com they put out there 5 star ATH. today and texas had a few on that list and on Eddie Jones profile it was quoted from

top Football recruit expert Jermy Crabtree: "Jeremy Crabtree says: "Jones has one speed and one speed only: fast forward. He is one of the most dominating players the past two years in East Texas, where arguably the nation's top high school football is played." [Jones Video]

that last bit the Nations top highschool football. I remember in 97 and 98 while i was playing that a writter in Florida called the east texas district 12-5a the best in the nation with Lufkin,jhon Tyler,Longview all were ranked in the top 5 in the state of Texas and in the top 20 In the nation all from the same District and then you still had marshall and Tyler lee..

GO EAST TEXAS!!!!
GO HORNS

Purple Haze
06-01-2005, 07:14 AM
top Football recruit expert Jermy Crabtree: "Jeremy Crabtree says: "Jones has one speed and one speed only: fast forward. He is one of the most dominating players the past two years in East Texas, where arguably the nation's top high school football is played."

I agree with the East Texas area being salty when it comes to football. For many years, East Texas was the only area that could hang on a regular basis with the LSWC teams from West Texas. Now East Texas is playing tougher ball as a whole IMHO. And that transcends all classes as many 1A-4A schools go deep in the playoffs from East Texas. Too bad they broke up your old district by moving Lufkin out. Change is hard to accept sometimes. :confused:

Question for all you Lufkin posters though: Now please understand, I totally respect and enjoy reading your posts. But why do you all include "pack" in your user names? Where is the originality? Just wondering... :cool:

pack0808
06-01-2005, 09:07 AM
since the big 3 from east texas split up their district they are a combined 20-0 in the new district competition in the houston and dallas area. the only one that lost in their new district was tyler lee but that was to longview. i would go as far to say that nobody in the last 3 years has produced more div1 recruits combined then lufkin, tyler lee, and longview. it would be very hard to find 3 teams that had more in that time span if you combine all. scary talent lately no doubt.

pack98
06-01-2005, 09:49 AM
East texas had some great Football. and for the reason we put Pack for our usernames well who knows just something i have always done but us Lufkin fans are proud of our team and will always be there tell the end no matter what once a panther always a panther i can remember the days that we did not win and everything so all the success that we have had over the last 10 years makes me proud. And to have played in 96-99 and have had 2 other brothers play then it is just a family thing. This season is the first one in 10 years that my family will not have a person on the field. I guess i got to get busy and have a boy (haha).

GO PANTHERS
GO HORNS.

PS. Be back in SanDIEGO in 4 days and a wakeup cant wait long deployment is over with. God bless the others still out there.

c-lisle
06-01-2005, 09:56 AM
since the big 3 from east texas split up their district they are a combined 20-0 in the new district competition in the houston and dallas area. the only one that lost in their new district was tyler lee but that was to longview. i would go as far to say that nobody in the last 3 years has produced more div1 recruits combined then lufkin, tyler lee, and longview. it would be very hard to find 3 teams that had more in that time span if you combine all. scary talent lately no doubt.

20-0 does send a statement. I guess the argument could be made that we were put in weaker districts. I wonder how Lee and Longview would have fared in SLC's district. It still says alot about East Texas football. I think after this year it could be 40-0.

pack0808
06-01-2005, 10:24 AM
both 145a and 125a are listed as the top 10 best district's in the state by this site. a lot of that has to do with lufkin, longview, and tyler lee. i do not care where qny of those teams play rclise they woud be playoff teams in any district. slc's district is nothing spectacular this year besides obviously slc and maybe a denton ryan. before ryan got there they were even much weaker in my view. denton ryan should not be near as good as last year but i am sure they will still be solid. i think 265a is the best overall district just like this site believes. they have many solid teams in that district.

drgnbkr
06-01-2005, 10:34 PM
It's all good pack..but so far, Carroll has never lost to an East Texas team...

NMHS fan
06-02-2005, 05:02 AM
20-0 does send a statement. I guess the argument could be made that we were put in weaker districts. I wonder how Lee and Longview would have fared in SLC's district. It still says alot about East Texas football. I think after this year it could be 40-0.

I guess you guys aren't counting John Tyler then... :)

There was a time not so long ago when they were making that statement.

Favpack
06-02-2005, 08:18 AM

Touche' Drgnbkr.

C'mon out - I think SLC would fit nicely in an ET district. "Back in the day" trust me when I say playing John Tyler, Lee, Longview and Marshall (all state champs or finalists) was about as close to your AHS, DR, Lufkin, SV playoff run as one can get - but we never left our district :)

drgnbkr
06-02-2005, 09:26 AM
Now that's a whole different deal...you guys alwas seem to be playing in a meat grinder out there...

pack0808
06-02-2005, 09:46 AM

i was not downing carroll one bit so i do not understand the sarcastic response?? did slc ever play an east texas team in 4a?? texarkana, kilgore-4a div2 champs last year, jacksonville maybe?? i think texarkana won a few championships in 4a while slc was a 4a team am i wrong?? maybe yall did not make it deep enough in the playoffs in 4a to play texarkana in those years i do not know?? either way slc has not been up against many east texas teams ever i am pretty sure. the only games i know about are the ones with lufkin and you know those were great wars with slc coming out on top in the end. all i am saying is this, i do not care what team it is but it would be just about impossible to play in the old 115a and play lufkin, longview, and tyler lee twice in district alone and go undefeated. no team would have went undefeated in my mind. no way!! just my opinion.

RedRage00
06-02-2005, 10:16 AM
Why don't we just let East Texas become its own state :rolleyes: :p :D

pack0808
06-02-2005, 10:28 AM
redrage i am just proud of east texas football just like you are proud where you are from. my points are not way out there by any shape or form. all have been facts or logical opinions. i realize other areas play great football but i would match up the east texas area teams with any area lately. it is a great time for east texas football and that is hard to argue. just last year east texas had something like 8 teams that made it to at least the state semis. :eek: east texas had 3 or 4 champions last year. it is something to be proud of. it could all change very quickly and i realize that.

PackAttack2005
06-02-2005, 11:56 AM
Rdrage, there was a stipulation in the Texas constitution established when Texas joined the USA in 1845 that Texas could be divided into multiple states up to four if the state legislature and voters approved the measure. All I can say is it is a good thing our Texas founding fathers made the right decision and left Texas intact as one BIG State. The State of East Texas just doesn't sound right. there is some pretty good HS football played all over this BIG state of ours, it's all good.

pack0808
06-02-2005, 12:01 PM
I guess you guys aren't counting John Tyler then... :)

There was a time not so long ago when they were making that statement.

no we are talking about the 3 big L's. Lufkin, Longview, and Lee. actually, i should have taken out the wins when big L's in distirict played each other or when they played john tyler. the big 3 are actually 18-0 against there new district opponents from the dallas and houston area. they are probably ready to send them back to the east texas district. lol

RedRage00
06-02-2005, 01:32 PM
Rdrage, there was a stipulation in the Texas constitution established when Texas joined the USA in 1845 that Texas could be divided into multiple states up to four if the state legislature and voters approved the measure. All I can say is it is a good thing our Texas founding fathers made the right decision and left Texas intact as one BIG State. The State of East Texas just doesn't sound right. there is some pretty good HS football played all over this BIG state of ours, it's all good.

Yeah, I'm glad they left Tx the way it is!

GO TEXAS! :p

Favpack
06-02-2005, 02:11 PM

I guess I shouldn't have slept so much in Texas History - I missed that little detail.

RedRage00
06-02-2005, 02:36 PM
I guess I shouldn't have slept so much in Texas History - I missed that little detail.

I loved Tx history!

NewSherriffInTown
06-02-2005, 03:11 PM
Along with that idea that the state could be broken into 4 states, it also says that Texas can secede from the union anytime it wants, and also the Texas flag is the only flag in the country that is allowed to fly at the same height as the American flag because it shows that Texas was it's own Republic at one point.

drgnbkr
06-02-2005, 08:23 PM
i was not downing carroll one bit so i do not understand the sarcastic response?? did slc ever play an east texas team in 4a?? texarkana, kilgore-4a div2 champs last year, jacksonville maybe?? i think texarkana won a few championships in 4a while slc was a 4a team am i wrong?? maybe yall did not make it deep enough in the playoffs in 4a to play texarkana in those years i do not know?? either way slc has not been up against many east texas teams ever i am pretty sure. the only games i know about are the ones with lufkin and you know those were great wars with slc coming out on top in the end. all i am saying is this, i do not care what team it is but it would be just about impossible to play in the old 115a and play lufkin, longview, and tyler lee twice in district alone and go undefeated. no team would have went undefeated in my mind. no way!! just my opinion.

Sorry, I did'nt mean to sound sarcastic either...the only other meaningful game against an East Tx team, other than the Dragon's recent success against the purple packers, was in 93 against Tatum in the 3-A Semis..Tatum had RB's Travian Smith (6'4 230), who ended up at Notre Dame and is still with the Oakland Raiders, and Anthony Hodge, who went on to Baylor, both of whom gained 200 yards on the ground the week before they met a "host of Dragons" on defense...Carroll 28-14..then on to beat Cuero in the State Game 13-7, when they had Clint Finley, who ended up at Nebraska....

Red Raiders
06-02-2005, 08:39 PM
Go East Texas, we only care about Football!

farmerfan
06-02-2005, 10:08 PM
The Tatum game, in front of a sold out Mesquite Memorial, best friend has that game on video along with the 92 Vernon and 93 Cuero games, those still remain my favorite Dragon teams, played old school ball and would hurt ya if you were not careful

As far as the notion of best football being played, I think its obvious to everyone on here where the best ball has been played recently, hopefully for the sake of East Texas,Tyler Lee will show the rest of the nation what is meant by East Texas football. Probably the only time I will root for a East Texas team this year.

pack0808
06-03-2005, 09:06 AM
so yall never faced texarkana in 4a when they won back to back 4a div1 state championships recently??

drgnbkr
06-03-2005, 09:28 AM
No, we were already in 5-A, we were always having wars with Stephenville, Highland Park & Ennis when we were in 4-A...

CCHS77
06-03-2005, 09:53 AM
so yall never faced texarkana in 4a when they won back to back 4a div1 state championships recently??

What years did they win the back to back state title?

pack0808
06-03-2005, 10:06 AM
i know they won it in 2002 but i am almost positive they won it in 2001 in 4a also?? maybe it was 2000?? i got this from the et supersite but i do not understand why they do not have their records from 90 to 2001?? i guess because they did not compete in a east texas district those years?? they used to be in lufkin's district in 5a a while back. slc was in 4a in 2000 and 2001 right?? so i know slc was around for one of their titles. maybe i am wrong about the 2000 or 2001 title but i can almost swear i am right?? slc struggled a little in 4a didn't they?? i know they lost several game in 4a in 2001 right??

TEXAS HIGH COMPETED IN OTHER DISTRICTS FROM 1990-2001
Nacogdoches Home WIN 44-0
Arkansas High Home WIN 34-10
Atlanta Home WIN 27-13
Jacksonville Away WIN 42-17
Texarkana Liberty Eylau Home WIN 44-6
Mount Pleasant* Away LOSS 10-0
Hallsville* Home WIN 33-10
Marshall* Away WIN 34-14
Kilgore* Away WIN 40-7
Pine Tree* Home WIN 41-7 DISTRICT CHAMPIONS
4A Div I BI-DISTRICT: Jacksonville WIN 45-0
4A Div I Regional: Waxahachie WIN 33-7
4A Div I Quarterfinal: Dallas Kimball WIN 42-10
4A Div I Semifinal: Brownwood WIN 28-14
4A DIV I TEXAS BOWL: New Braunfels WIN 42-11 STATE CHAMPIONS!!!!!
TEAM FINISHED: (14-1)

Nacogdoches Away WIN 21-0
Arkansas High Away WIN 31-12
Atlanta Away WIN 19-7
Jacksonville Away WIN 41-7
Texarkana Liberty Eylau Away WIN 28-7
Mount Pleasant* Home WIN 45-13
Hallsville* Away WIN 24-15
Marshall* Home WIN 34-14
Kilgore* Home WIN 21-20
Pine Tree* Away WIN 51-0 DISTRICT CHAMPIONS
4A Div I BI-DISTRICT: Jacksonville WIN 21-0
4A Div I Regional: Corsicana WIN 42-14
4A Div I Quarterfinal: Dallas Kimball WIN 12-11
4A Div I Semifinal: North Crowley LOSS 17-13
TEAM FINISHED: (13-1)

i am not sure how they did in 2004??

pack0808
06-03-2005, 10:14 AM
texarkana or texas high lost in the state semis to ennis last year. ennis went on to beat marshall in the final seconds in the finals. 5a garland was the only team to beat ennis last year. marshall is another east texas school that just left 5a in 2002. lufkin, longview, and lee have were abusing them when they left. lufkin last beat marshall 39-3 in 2003 and longview destroyed them last year once again. i still cannot solve the mystery with texas high from 90 to 2001 though?? does anybody else know?? i am almost 100 percent positive that texas high won it all in 2001 also.

CCHS77
06-03-2005, 10:21 AM
i still cannot solve the mystery with texas high from 90 to 2001 though?? does anybody else know?? i am almost 100 percent positive that texas high won it all in 2001 also.

Texarkana was 8-3 in '01 (lost in the first round of the po). They were 5-5 in '00. They were 9-3 in '99 and 5-4 in '98. That's as far back as DataPoll goes.

pack0808
06-03-2005, 10:26 AM
i was majorly wrong then about 2001. i do not know where i got that?? i could have sworn they won 2 recently??? i guess i was wrong!!

Mr. Buddy Garrity
06-03-2005, 10:34 AM
SLC went to the state semis in 2001 in 4A.

pack0808
06-03-2005, 10:38 AM
SLC went to the state semis in 2001 in 4A.

is that when ennis beat them pretty badly?? i thought slc lost 4 or 5 games in 2001?? am i wrong on that also??

Mr. Buddy Garrity
06-03-2005, 10:54 AM
is that when ennis beat them pretty badly?? i thought slc lost 4 or 5 games in 2001?? am i wrong on that also??
That I don't know off hand.

pack0808
06-03-2005, 10:56 AM
wow i did not realize slc had some big time down years for them before 2002. they lost 21 games in 5 years before they went on their tear at the 5a level in 2002 where they have only lost 1 in 3 years. that is strange!! most teams struggle big time after they move up to 5a. slc must have hit 5a at the perfect time. i know they also had some dominant teams in the 80's in 3a. they still went to the state semis twice in that 5 year span but they were not even close to as dominant as they are now. i had no idea??

1997 "Bi-Dist Champs"
7-5-0
257-259
Tom Rapp

Bi-Dist (Dragons 21..Dallas Lincoln 6)

Area (Terrell 36..Dragons 8)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1998 "State Semi-finalists"
13-2-0
499-266
Tom Rapp
B-Dist (Dragons 34..Dallas Roosevelt 12)

Area (Dragons 52..Waco Midway 35)

Reg-Semi (Dragons 42..Sherman 35)

Reg-Champ (Dragons 28..Highland Park 21)

State-Semi (Stephenville 31..Dragons 28)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1999 6-4-0 204-135 Tom Rapp

2000 "Regional Finalist"
9-5-0
386-240
Todd Dodge

Bi-Dist(Dragons16..Burkburnett 6)

Area (Dragons16..Stephenville 7)

Reg.-Semi(Dragons47..Andrews 35)

Reg-Champ (Wichita Falls 41..Southlake Carroll 21)

2001 "State Semi-finalists"
10-5-0
424-250
Todd Dodge
Bi-Dist (Dragons35..Wichita Falls 21)

Area (Dragons23...Dunbar 21)
Reg-Semi (Dragons31..Andrews 0)

Reg-Champ (Dragons 14..Wolfforth Frenship 7)

State-Semi (Ennis 49..Southlake Carroll 17)

CCHS77
06-03-2005, 11:04 AM

The Dragon's were 10-5 in '01. Region 1 champs that did, indeed play Ennis in one of the state semis. SLC was leading Ennis at half time, but were killed in the second half.

If State titles are your only criteria, the Dragons had a tough stay in 4A. Other wise (excluding '96 and '99) they were still pretty good.

pack0808
06-03-2005, 11:05 AM
i just assumed they were dominant for the most part?? i am glad to see that they are human also. ;) because what they have done at the highest classification has been unreal. :eek:

dragonsdaddy
06-03-2005, 12:25 PM
pack, the coaching now is infinitely better than in the 5-6 years pre dodge. the 00 and 01 teams had a qb that had a long way to go and a new system to learn and not enough skill people to run the offense well. they progressed and improved thru both seasons and hit stride in the po's, when it counts. we had wf beat in 00. except for a very poorly timed fumble, we would be hearing how ennis was dynastic vs slc with their 2-0 semi record. the 02 team had the peices of the puzzle and the master solver to make it all work. it's been a great ride with a great coach at the helm.

Red Raiders
06-03-2005, 01:33 PM
I thought were supposed to be talking about East Texas? not Southlake Carroll.

CCHS77
06-03-2005, 02:30 PM
I thought were supposed to be talking about East Texas? not Southlake Carroll.

My bad. I never should have asked the question about the Texarkana team's record.

pack0808
06-03-2005, 04:19 PM
i am just as guilty but like it is not like it is unusual to get off topic a little. :rolleyes:

RedRage00
06-03-2005, 04:57 PM
Getting off topic is normal.....I don't know why people get so worked up over it.

RR

Red Raiders
06-05-2005, 01:34 PM
Getting off topic is normal.....I don't know why people get so worked up over it.

RR

You mean we have to be random about being Off-Topic, alot of people won't like that in real life.