PDA

View Full Version : Safety

dragons08
11-16-2005, 09:46 PM
what exactly is a safety?? it seems to go back and forth between when a saftey covers and doesnt, talk going on in this board...id like thegreatone to explain it to all of us ending the debate, since he is a former nfl player

Reaganrattler07
11-16-2005, 09:52 PM
http://football.about.com/cs/football101/g/gl_strongsafety.htm

I googled Safety and "Strong Safety" came up and here is the definition:

Definition: A defensive player who generally lines up in the secondary to help stop the pass, but often aligns close to the line of scrimmage to help stop the run.

Examples: In most defenses, the strong safety lines up over the tight end and is responsible for both playing the pass and supporting the run.

Now, I haven't really seen safety's line up on the line of scrimmage unless they're blitzing. I normally see them hanging down behind the linebackers and in between the corners (in the middle of the field)

Reaganrattler07
11-16-2005, 09:55 PM
Ah, found a better one. Same website:

Safety A defensive back who lines up in the secondary between, but generally deeper than the cornerbacks. His primary duties include helping the cornerbacks in pass coverage.

dragonfootballfan
11-16-2005, 09:55 PM
Now, I haven't really seen safety's line up on the line of scrimmage unless they're blitzing. I normally see them hanging down behind the linebackers and in between the corners (in the middle of the field)
watch Troy Palamalou, I know I spelled that wrong, of the Pittsburgh Steelers. He lines up near the LOS all the time and sometimes does not blitz

dragonfootballfan
11-16-2005, 09:57 PM
http://football.about.com/cs/football101/g/gl_strongsafety.htm

I googled Safety and "Strong Safety" came up and here is the definition:

Definition: A defensive player who generally lines up in the secondary to help stop the pass, but often aligns close to the line of scrimmage to help stop the run.

Examples: In most defenses, the strong safety lines up over the tight end and is responsible for both playing the pass and supporting the run.

I just googled brain surgery and now I am an expert. Anyone need me to perform a little operation

Reaganrattler07
11-16-2005, 09:57 PM
watch Troy Palamalou, I know I spelled that wrong, of the Pittsburgh Steelers. He lines up near the LOS all the time and sometimes does not blitz

Oh ok, I don't watch the Steelers too much. Now I know I've seen people stack the box in an instance when a team is running down the clock but 85% of the time, they'll be down the field to assist the corners.10% they may blitz and the 5% is about run support (lined up near the linebackers)

Reaganrattler07
11-16-2005, 09:58 PM
I just googled brain surgery and now I am an expert. Anyone need me to perform a little operation

I don't see the comparison. I was bringing a fact to prove my point.

dragons08
11-16-2005, 10:04 PM
yeah can you fix my spelling problem..

dragonfootballfan
11-16-2005, 10:12 PM
I don't see the comparison. I was bringing a fact to prove my point.
just because you google something doesn't make you an expert and does not mean that what you post is correct. Anyone can read something, but to truly know it is a much different story.

Reaganrattler07
11-16-2005, 10:18 PM
just because you google something doesn't make you an expert and does not mean that what you post is correct. Anyone can read something, but to truly know it is a much different story.

Please, please, please state where I claimed I was an expert. As for the role of a safety. That definition is pretty universal. He is there as a safety net for the corners and the men up front (linemen and linebackers)

dragonfootballfan
11-16-2005, 10:20 PM
Please, please, please state where I claimed I was an expert. As for the role of a safety. That definition is pretty universal. He is there as a safety net for the corners and the men up front (linemen and linebackers)
The definition is not universal. It depends on what defense a team is playing and what responsiblities have been assigned to that player. On every team the safety's responsibility is different. Your definition did supply the basics, but it is not absolute.

Reaganrattler07
11-16-2005, 10:25 PM
The definition is not universal. It depends on what defense a team is playing and what responsiblities have been assigned to that player. On every team the safety's responsibility is different. Your definition did supply the basics, but it is not absolute.

Then tell me why teams (most of the time) hang their safeties all the way down field? To cover the run? The opposing team would gain a whole lot of real estate before those safeties stopped the runner. The safeties stop the runner if the linebackers and d-line can't. Safeties are supposed to stop recievers if the corners can't. If you need to put your safeties among linebackers and on the line for most of the game, you must not have very good linebackers/lineman. Now if the opposing team is running down the clock, then of course, move the safeties in with the linebackers. But in normal plays, you hang them back to protect against the run and pass.

wide-e-wide
11-16-2005, 11:08 PM

I googled "real estate" ...Hey Skins...I have some prime oceanfront property outside of Phoenix...interested?

dragons08
11-16-2005, 11:16 PM
I googled "real estate" ...Hey Skins...I have some prime oceanfront property outside of Phoenix...interested?
wideman get it right, he wants to go hang out with those hogs in dc!

wide-e-wide
11-16-2005, 11:20 PM
wideman get it right, he wants to go hang out with those hogs in dc!

I said I googled "real estate"...not "crime infested Mayor smoking crack estate"

dragons08
11-16-2005, 11:21 PM
I said I googled "real estate"...not "crime infested Mayor smoking crack estate"
whoops, let me put my contacts back in

dragonfootballfan
11-16-2005, 11:27 PM
are you sure, because I could have sworn you googled "swampland that nobody wanted with cardboard apartments"

zippy
11-16-2005, 11:28 PM
Reagan, I dont know if I am an expert on this, but just let it go, you are correct in your google search. It is complicated as to what they do, all defensive schemes are different. But you gave a basic idea, and yes it is basically universal. Someone is just trying to argue like always. Oh yea, I played corner in HS, SS in college, and have been coaching the positions since then. At the college level for 2 years. But im no expert, so I could be wrong...

Then tell me why teams (most of the time) hang their safeties all the way down field? To cover the run? The opposing team would gain a whole lot of real estate before those safeties stopped the runner. The safeties stop the runner if the linebackers and d-line can't. Safeties are supposed to stop recievers if the corners can't. If you need to put your safeties among linebackers and on the line for most of the game, you must not have very good linebackers/lineman. Now if the opposing team is running down the clock, then of course, move the safeties in with the linebackers. But in normal plays, you hang them back to protect against the run and pass.

wide-e-wide
11-16-2005, 11:35 PM
Reagan, I dont know if I am an expert on this, but just let it go, you are correct in your google search. It is complicated as to what they do, all defensive schemes are different. But you gave a basic idea, and yes it is basically universal. Someone is just trying to argue like always. Oh yea, I played corner in HS, SS in college, and have been coaching the positions since then. At the college level for 2 years. But im no expert, so I could be wrong...

If you too believe a safety's primary purpose is to cover receivers...

I will bet my house and kids that your secondary sucks.

zippy
11-16-2005, 11:46 PM
Like I said, its difficult to explain, but they do play the pass, do they not? It however is not a primary purpose by far. Just stating the his definition is a good idea as to what their job is. I can type about a 10000 word definition as to situations thet a SS can be in, in all the possible schemes that are used. But I would rather take a look around the board for a little while, and get to bed. I might work on that some day, if 08 really is interested in it.

zippy
11-16-2005, 11:47 PM
Oh yea, I might add that it can be the most difficult position to play, even more so than the QB.

dragonfootballfan
11-16-2005, 11:55 PM
Like I said, its difficult to explain, but they do play the pass, do they not? It however is not a primary purpose by far. Just stating the his definition is a good idea as to what their job is. I can type about a 10000 word definition as to situations thet a SS can be in, in all the possible schemes that are used. But I would rather take a look around the board for a little while, and get to bed. I might work on that some day, if 08 really is interested in it.
you may be able to make some cash going on speaking tours and publishing a book on the safety position. I agree with you that it is one of the most complicated positions because as stated before there are no defined responsibilities. If you want to see a safety that can do it all then you should see what Texas safety Michael Huff can do. He has really jumped up on the NFL scouts radar and is being hailed for his ability to play all positions in the secondary, Cornerback, nickel back, strong safety and free safety

wide-e-wide
11-16-2005, 11:59 PM
Oh yea, I might add that it can be the most difficult position to play, even more so than the QB.

I will agree with that...it's very gray in description...

But for anybody to blast Roy Williams for not covering Santana Moss...step for step...is moronic.

Name 10 corners in the league that can cover him step for step...

Hell name 5...

Now name a safety that can do it too?....

That's my point.

dragonfootballfan
11-17-2005, 12:05 AM

But for anybody to blast Roy Williams for not covering Santana Moss...step for step...is moronic.

Hell name 5...

That's my point.
plus I really think that he did not do anything wrong. I think that the coverage that they put him in on that formation was open to those two routes.

zippy
11-17-2005, 12:16 AM
Oh, I see where your going with this.. Your right too. Not step for step anyway. If you notice, there are several S's that are in the high 4.4's to 4.5' 40's. The corners are the 4.2's 4.3's. That right there should show you who is responsible for the step by step coverage on WR's. The best S on any team I was involved with ran a 4.4 40. There were some LB's that were as fast as he was. I would never blast Williams, even if he did miss a play from time to time. He makes up for them with everything else he does. One of my favorite players, I just wish he would leave my most hated team.

Hell name 5...

That's my point.

SeguinMatadors
11-17-2005, 12:16 AM
you may be able to make some cash going on speaking tours and publishing a book on the safety position. I agree with you that it is one of the most complicated positions because as stated before there are no defined responsibilities. If you want to see a safety that can do it all then you should see what Texas safety Michael Huff can do. He has really jumped up on the NFL scouts radar and is being hailed for his ability to play all positions in the secondary, Cornerback, nickel back, strong safety and free safety

Most complete safety I have ever seen is Ed Reed.

zippy
11-17-2005, 12:25 AM
Makes it even better that he is surrounded by 10 other great players. It would be intersting to see his skills on another team. I still think he would be great. I know he would get some picks! He needs to get healthy this year, they are not the same without him. I dont think he has an int this year.

Most complete safety I have ever seen is Ed Reed.

SeguinMatadors
11-17-2005, 12:46 AM
Makes it even better that he is surrounded by 10 other great players. It would be intersting to see his skills on another team. I still think he would be great. I know he would get some picks! He needs to get healthy this year, they are not the same without him. I dont think he has an int this year.

Very good point. I was about to mention the fact that he has Chris McCallister, Ray Lewis, Terrell Suggs and company to cover any mistakes he may make so my veiw on him may be distorted.

zippy
11-17-2005, 12:53 AM
I still think he is going to be great. He is still very young (3rd) year. He will be leaving the Ravens soon if he is like most NFL players, so then we will be able to tell. Another player that I think is very good for his age is Sean Taylor, he was a beast at Miami, and is doing very good in the NFL. What is up with Miami, wasnt Reed from there as well?

Very good point. I was about to mention the fact that he has Chris McCallister, Ray Lewis, Terrell Suggs and company to cover any mistakes he may make so my veiw on him may be distorted.

SeguinMatadors
11-17-2005, 12:59 AM
I still think he is going to be great. He is still very young (3rd) year. He will be leaving the Ravens soon if he is like most NFL players, so then we will be able to tell. Another player that I think is very good for his age is Sean Taylor, he was a beast at Miami, and is doing very good in the NFL. What is up with Miami, wasnt Reed from there as well?

Reed was at the U. I guess you know where to go if you are an elite safety coming out of HS. I think Taylor has loads of potential but it may never be reached because off his off the field antics. That seems to be the case with a lot of players from the U though.

zippy
11-17-2005, 01:04 AM
I think the U is a great place for any position if you want to make it. They draft like crazy. Your right about Taylor, but he has not been as bad as some of the NFL vets as of yet. He also has a couple of stand up NFL vets that stay on his case, so maybe he will keep it together. He has taken that defensive "crazy person" attitude off the field which is never good.

Reed was at the U. I guess you know where to go if you are an elite safety coming out of HS. I think Taylor has loads of potential but it may never be reached because off his off the field antics. That seems to be the case with a lot of players from the U though.

dragonfootballfan
11-17-2005, 01:06 AM
I think the U is a great place for any position if you want to make it. They draft like crazy. Your right about Taylor, but he has not been as bad as some of the NFL vets as of yet. He also has a couple of stand up NFL vets that stay on his case, so maybe he will keep it together. He has taken that defensive "crazy person" attitude off the field which is never good.
I think that Taylor was charged with attempted murder. I am pretty sure that is just below Rae Caruth and right above Jammal Lewis

SeguinMatadors
11-17-2005, 01:07 AM

Nope. Never good at all. He sort of seems to have a Ron Artest approach to life; we all know how that turned out.

zippy
11-17-2005, 01:10 AM
Wow, that shows you how much I keep up with the NFL soaps. I wasnt aware of that. I am usually doing work during games, and have it on mute (when I watch them). What is going on with these people? Is he in jail? There sure seems to be lots of murders going on in the NFL. Too much pressure or something. Last I heard he was fighting with other people on his team.

I think that Taylor was charged with attempted murder. I am pretty sure that is just below Rae Caruth and right above Jammal Lewis

zippy
11-17-2005, 01:16 AM
No murder yet, just be sure not to mess with Taylors ATV's

safety Sean Taylor, described as a "person of interest" in an assault case, turned himself in to Miami-Dade County police on Saturday, ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reported. Taylor has been charged with aggravated assault with a firearm, a felony, and simple battery.

The assault happened Wednesday night and shots were fired, police spokesman Mary Walters said. No one was injured.

According to a police statement, Taylor pointed a gun at an unidentified person Wednesday during a dispute over two all-terrain vehicles he claimed were stolen. Taylor left the scene but returned about 10 minutes later and punched one person.

Police had been looking for Taylor since Friday.

"We have just been made aware of a potential situation in Miami regarding Sean Taylor," the Redskins said in a statement Saturday night. "The representatives for Taylor are keeping us informed as to the developments of the situation. There is nothing we can add to the process at this time."

SeguinMatadors
11-17-2005, 01:18 AM
Wow, that shows you how much I keep up with the NFL soaps. I wasnt aware of that. I am usually doing work during games, and have it on mute (when I watch them). What is going on with these people? Is he in jail? There sure seems to be lots of murders going on in the NFL. Too much pressure or something. Last I heard he was fighting with other people on his team.

It is true. He is also charged with felony assault. Trial starts this summer. It all started with his contract situation as a rookie. Slowly his bad actions have progressed. This summer he wouldn't answer Joe Gibbs phone calls claiming the offseason was his time away. Then the attempted murder thing.

zippy
11-17-2005, 01:24 AM
So he also tried to kill someone? The internet cant even keep up with him. The last article was just the most recent I found.

It is true. He is also charged with felony assault. Trial starts this summer. It all started with his contract situation as a rookie. Slowly his bad actions have progressed. This summer he wouldn't answer Joe Gibbs phone calls claiming the offseason was his time away. Then the attempted murder thing.

SeguinMatadors
11-17-2005, 01:25 AM
So he also tried to kill someone? The internet cant even keep up with him. The last article was just the most recent I found.

Maybe I was wrong. Maybe it was just the felony assault. I am kind of shady. Either way, he is facing a minimum of like 3 years in prison if convicted.

Reaganrattler07
11-17-2005, 09:51 AM

Yeah i know, they just want to argue....

But safeties (as I've stated) play both the deep pass and act as the last line of defense against the runner.

Reaganrattler07
11-17-2005, 09:56 AM
No murder yet, just be sure not to mess with Taylors ATV's

safety Sean Taylor, described as a "person of interest" in an assault case, turned himself in to Miami-Dade County police on Saturday, ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reported. Taylor has been charged with aggravated assault with a firearm, a felony, and simple battery.

The assault happened Wednesday night and shots were fired, police spokesman Mary Walters said. No one was injured.

According to a police statement, Taylor pointed a gun at an unidentified person Wednesday during a dispute over two all-terrain vehicles he claimed were stolen. Taylor left the scene but returned about 10 minutes later and punched one person.

Police had been looking for Taylor since Friday.

"We have just been made aware of a potential situation in Miami regarding Sean Taylor," the Redskins said in a statement Saturday night. "The representatives for Taylor are keeping us informed as to the developments of the situation. There is nothing we can add to the process at this time."

*Laughing* I don't think Len Pastabelly has done a story that has shown the Redskins in positive life for a while.

Yes, he did point a gun at a person who stole his ATV. Now, I think he was justified in going after the person....but not with the gun. I think he still has a future ahead of him. As for the shots being fired....this is the first I've heard about that....

Reaganrattler07
11-17-2005, 09:57 AM

The volunteer OTAs.....he didn't have to show up for those but I do think he should've answered Gibbs' calls. G. Williams likes him a lot.....

lonny23
11-17-2005, 08:46 PM
You can start with your fellow Dragons fans.

lonny23
11-17-2005, 09:18 PM
what exactly is a safety?? it seems to go back and forth between when a saftey covers and doesnt, talk going on in this board...id like thegreatone to explain it to all of us ending the debate, since he is a former nfl player
A strong safety lines up on the strong side of the field, which is where the TE lines up. Since teams like to run to that side of the field more, the strong safety is closer to the line of scrimmage and does a lot of run support and helps with the short passing game. The free safety is free to roam the field. He plays center field and picks up the guys going deep. He will assist in doubling top receivers.

Those are normal, but to leave it at that is too simplistic. Sometimes the free safety will blitz and have the strong safety cover for him in the passing game. The free safety will line up like the strong safety on short yardage plays.