PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Drabek Loses

LP-79
05-30-2005, 11:38 AM
I know this is not strictly football, but Kyle Drabek Lost for the first time yesterday as the Woodlands were eliminated from Baseball playoffs. My beef is He is a shoe in to be one of the top draft choices in baseball next year. I hear he is still going to be a wide reciever for the Woodlands next year. Now why would he take a chance on losing out on a hugh signing bonus for being at least a top 5 draft choice in baseball, just to play 1 more year of high school football. Makes you wonder about a coach that would take a chance with a young mans future. If I was the coach for the Woodlands football team I would definitly let him know I would be proud to let him be on team. As the waterboy or equipment manager. That may sound crass or something, but why take a chance on a career ending injury in football when He has such a bright future in baseball!

Texasfrog
05-30-2005, 11:50 AM
I know this is not strictly football, but Kyle Drabek Lost for the first time yesterday as the Woodlands were eliminated from Baseball playoffs. My beef is He is a shoe in to be one of the top draft choices in baseball next year. I hear he is still going to be a wide reciever for the Woodlands next year. Now why would he take a chance on losing out on a hugh signing bonus for being at least a top 5 draft choice in baseball, just to play 1 more year of high school football. Makes you wonder about a coach that would take a chance with a young mans future. If I was the coach for the Woodlands football team I would definitly let him know I would be proud to let him be on team. As the waterboy or equipment manager. That may sound crass or something, but why take a chance on a career ending injury in football when He has such a bright future in baseball!

I cant blame the kid if he wants to play football his senior year. There has been 100's of kids that played both (football & baseball) their senior year when they knew they were going to be drafted in the MLB draft. Heck, Carl Crawford almost went to Nebraska to be a QB and now his a MLB All-Star for Tampa Bay.

There is always that chance that the sport ending injury could happen. But, you cant live your life running scared and wondering. IF he doesnt play football this season for the Woodlands. He'll probably look back the rest of his life and regret the fact that he didnt play football his senior year with all his buddies.

His an athlete first (baseball, football and ect)... Great baseball player second loaded with tons of great potential.

Lp78
05-30-2005, 11:57 AM
Asking him to be a waterboy or equipment manager? lol I don't disagree with you on him not playing football. But this is a call he & his dad will make. If he loves playing football, go for it! Its the last time he would get experiance. Best of luck to him which ever way he decides to go.

Texasfrog
05-30-2005, 12:12 PM
Something tells me that "money" is pretty much the last thing on his mind. Especially when your dad has a pretty large bank-account.

wide-e-wide
05-30-2005, 12:16 PM
There is a significant difference between Daddy's money and MY money...

LeanderLions3033
05-30-2005, 03:10 PM
We live in texas where football is king. If the man is arguably the best wide reciever in 14-5a, why would you sit out. I commend him for that.

Texasfrog
05-30-2005, 03:34 PM
There is a significant difference between Daddy's money and MY money...

Ya there is. But I dont think the money is like the first thing the kid is thinking about. I think his thinking about his teamates, his senior year, school and being an athlete.

Like I said, there is 100's of Texas athletes that went on to be high MLB draft picks and they played both (football and baseball) in high school.

Seeing kids being sport specific (only football, basketball or baseball) is kind of a recent thing. I mean it started in the mid 90's to get serious and now we dont even see alot of the good athletes play football because they want to only play basketball or baseball or vice versa.

I dont like it. I like the days of the 2 and 3 sport athlete. Even if he is a potential high D-1A prospect of high MLB draft pick.

More power to Mr. young Drabek and go kick some A !!!

PackAttack2005
05-30-2005, 07:00 PM
I would not go out on a limb and say Drabek is the best receiver in 14-5A, he is very good but not the best as many will see when 14-5A district play starts.

As far as Drabek playing football, he should do what he likes because this will be his last opportunity to play, unless he decides to be a two sport athlete in college. I know the majors are calling, but the kid really needs to get a college education first, then go pro.

wide-e-wide
05-30-2005, 07:42 PM
What is the point...?
So what if you played HS football?
When they are reading your bio before pitching in the
show do they say....oh yeah and he was a good reciever in HS?
It's not worth the risk....it's pointless.
Sure it sounds good...but how many of you would encourage your
son to do the same thing?
Not me.............I would say dude are you stupid?
why?.........You can either have a shot at being a pitcher
in the bigs...........OR.....you can be the answer to a trivia question.

Texasfrog
05-30-2005, 08:28 PM
What is the point...?
So what if you played HS football?
When they are reading your bio before pitching in the
show do they say....oh yeah and he was a good reciever in HS?
It's not worth the risk....it's pointless.
Sure it sounds good...but how many of you would encourage your
son to do the same thing?
Not me.............I would say dude are you stupid?
why?.........You can either have a shot at being a pitcher
in the bigs...........OR.....you can be the answer to a trivia question.

Wide-E-Open ???? First there is no promise that Kyle Drabek is going to be a High 1st round MLB pick and make millions in signing bonus.

There is even still no promise that his going to make it into MLB.

Heck, maybe he shouldnt even play baseball his senior year. He might throw his arm out huh ? He might tear his knee sliding into 2nd base ? He might get hit in the head with the ball and forget who he is ? So, maybe he shoudlnt even play baseball his senior year.

Heck, he should just sit back his "SENIOR" year and let the chips fall where they may on his past acheivments.

Thinkfully I believe that Kyle Drabek doesnt think like you. His more into living life at its fullest and getting the most out of life. The clock is ticking for us all so get the most out of it while you can.

Looks like the youngman wants to play all the High school sports he can and have fun doing it. Full speed ahead Drabek.

Something tells me the "MONEY" will be there.

Red Raiders
05-30-2005, 08:30 PM
If Kyle not playing football then The Woodlands wouldn't be top 25.

Red Raiders
05-30-2005, 08:32 PM
Wide-E-Open ???? First there is no promise that Kyle Drabek is going to be a High 1st round MLB pick and make millions in signing bonus.

There is even still no promise that his going to make it into MLB.

Heck, maybe he shouldnt even play baseball his senior year. He might throw his arm out huh ? He might tear his knee sliding into 2nd base ? He might get hit in the head with the ball and forget who he is ? So, maybe he shoudlnt even play baseball his senior year.

Heck, he should just sit back his "SENIOR" year and let the chips fall where they may on his past acheivments.

Thinkfully I believe that Kyle Drabek doesnt think like you. His more into living life at its fullest and getting the most out of life. The clock is ticking for us all so get the most out of it while you can.

Looks like the youngman wants to play all the High school sports he can and have fun doing it. Full speed ahead Drabek.

Something tells me the "MONEY" will be there.

Wow, Thats a very good point you made there. Something can happen to him in his senior year. ANYTHING can happen to him including car accident and all that stuff.

Redclad
05-31-2005, 01:31 PM
Why not give him credit for discounting the injury fear and doing something he obviously loves, while helping his school? I certainly respect his decision, it is afterall, his.

NewSherriffInTown
05-31-2005, 01:35 PM
The ones who are scared or play scared are usually the ones who get hurt.

The only person in america that should've given up his senior year on something he loves (football) was LeBron James (who was an NFL caliber WR/TE). He is the only kid who should be giving that up with fear of injury in return for money. He was a guaranteed 100 million dollar man before his senior year of football/basketball.

Even he was going to play until he broke his wrist during that summer.

SmilinTiger
05-31-2005, 04:16 PM
Why not give him credit for discounting the injury fear and doing something he obviously loves, while helping his school? I certainly respect his decision, it is afterall, his.

That's right. It's his decision and his only. Plus the Katy Tiger secondary is looking forward to snatching a few of those passes right out of his grasp on August 27th.

the_great_state_of_TExas
05-31-2005, 04:37 PM
One of my best friends in HS actually did sit out his senior season of football so he could concentrate on baseball. This guy was a true pitching stud in High School - he would routinely throw fast balls in the mid 90s. He even pitched a perfect game in little league.

He was drafted in the 1st round (80K signing bonus) and played several years in the minors (making $20K a year, riding on old busses and staying in bad hotels) with a limited number of innings in the show.

So for this guy it worked out... but you never know... Next Tuesday you could be hit by a cattle truck while driving to the office.

wide-e-wide
05-31-2005, 04:41 PM
You people are amazing.
If..(God forbid) he were to get injured...
you would be on here saying "why was he playing
anyway?...that was stupid"
All I'm saying is that if I were his Dad or even just
a friend...I would discourage him from playing.

TheDuke
06-01-2005, 10:30 AM
Why don't you people let him do what he wants to do!! If he wants to play, then let him play! It is HIS decision!! It is a risk ya, just like it is a risk to get it your car every day! What is the difference? It is his and his family's choice. Besides, there is no gaurantee he is gonna play yet! He could back out at the last moment when he can see how much money he can make! You never no!

TheDuke
06-01-2005, 10:43 AM
If Kyle not playing football then The Woodlands wouldn't be top 25.

Ya right!! We have plenty of other athletes!

Woodlands!!
08-06-2005, 06:11 PM
Just somethin i noticed but LP-79 ur a lufkin fan and the woodlands is one of lufkins big district opponents, and drabek is one of the best football players for the woodlands... so to me it makes sense you would think its dumb for him to play another year of football. He will help the woodlands in the game against your team.. but anyways..

Drabek has never had to worry about money a day in his life and he obviously enjoys football as well as baseball so why wouldn't he play? He would let his team mates, school, and home town down with a decision not to play. The woodlands if full of spirit for our sports teams and I know we would be disappointed if he didnt play football again this year.

He's living his life to the fullest.. something everyone should try to do.

And by the way, the woodlands would still be a great team if he decided not to play, we have plenty of good athletes.

bhs06
08-06-2005, 09:08 PM
Woodlands came up to our own field to play in a tournament, which featured 4 state ranked teams, us, The Woodlands, Flower Mound, and Lake Highlands. we faced Drabek. Wicked fastball and change up. Terrible curve though, it needs work, or he was off. Anyway, we lost 8-1(and we were state ranked) but they were better. However...

Drabek and 4 other Woodlands players were ejected from the game for unsportsmanlike conduct. Our right fielder hit a slow roller up the 1st base line, and Drabek picks it up in his glove and slaps our baserunner in the face with his glove. What the hell was he thinking? Drabek proceeds to yell at the umpire for ejection, and 4 other Woodlands players came in and started to yell at the umpire, kick dirt at him, etc., it was pathetic. All 5 of the ejected along with their coach. It was a sad display of sportsmanship and I lost a lot of respect for the Woodlands after seeing it happen.

KT2000
08-06-2005, 09:49 PM
The Woodlands are a fiesty bunch. Their newly crowned homecoming king (TE Kyle Anderson) was later thrown out of the game last year (vs. Humble) for misconduct. They got into a brawl at the 7 on 7 championship with Arlington Lamar a couple years ago. Maybe I just catch them on their bad days?

pack0808
08-06-2005, 11:32 PM
Woodlands came up to our own field to play in a tournament, which featured 4 state ranked teams, us, The Woodlands, Flower Mound, and Lake Highlands. we faced Drabek. Wicked fastball and change up. Terrible curve though, it needs work, or he was off. Anyway, we lost 8-1(and we were state ranked) but they were better. However...

Drabek and 4 other Woodlands players were ejected from the game for unsportsmanlike conduct. Our right fielder hit a slow roller up the 1st base line, and Drabek picks it up in his glove and slaps our baserunner in the face with his glove. What the hell was he thinking? Drabek proceeds to yell at the umpire for ejection, and 4 other Woodlands players came in and started to yell at the umpire, kick dirt at him, etc., it was pathetic. All 5 of the ejected along with their coach. It was a sad display of sportsmanship and I lost a lot of respect for the Woodlands after seeing it happen.

That is why i enjoyed it when lufkin beat the woodlands in both football and baseball last year. especially baseball because everybody expected it in football but not baseball. people forget that lufkin has a tremendous baseball program also. they have been one of the best 5a baseball teams in history. before outlaw, the baseball team was the shiznit at lufkin when it came to sport's.. did i just say shiznit?? i guess now that i am 30, i have to say things like that to try to pretend i am still cool. ;)

Woodlands!!
08-07-2005, 10:02 AM
Yea the woodlands kids are really obnoxious at times. I think it might be because of all the money people have around here. A lot of the kids are really spoiled.

Jtate862003
08-07-2005, 10:21 AM
I remember 2 yrs ago when tyler lee played them...their drill team i noticed were not a very friendly bunch of girls..i can remember walking with the cheerleaders of tyler lee and twhs drill team jsut thought they were so much better

Woodlands!!
08-07-2005, 10:25 AM
Well.. not to say it was right for the highsteppers (woodlands drill team) to act snobby but they are amazing. They just won grand champion at nationals for drill team.

RedRage00
08-07-2005, 03:12 PM
His father is from Victoria....I know I read an article in the paper some weeks ago about his son doing so well at The Woodlands.

RR

RedRage00
08-07-2005, 03:13 PM
Well.. not to say it was right for the highsteppers (woodlands drill team) to act snobby but they are amazing. They just won grand champion at nationals for drill team.

They are not better than the "VICTORIADORES" ;) :p

twhfan#1
08-07-2005, 10:10 PM
I remember 2 yrs ago when tyler lee played them...their drill team i noticed were not a very friendly bunch of girls..i can remember walking with the cheerleaders of tyler lee and twhs drill team jsut thought they were so much better

FYI -- part of the Highstepper tradition of class -- they are there to perform ---not engage in banter back & forth with opponets ( or their own fans ) --they are taught to take care of business & perform at high level --not visit -- if any of you were ever in military --it is the same philosophy --when in formation -- do not talk with each other or bystanders --- no waving to Mom or boyfriend , etc.

That is what they are taught --- not their own personality ---of course there are some individuals that are "stuck-up " --- but that has nothing to do with the organizational philosophy

You should be aware of another school's traditions before you critisize

TheDuke
08-08-2005, 11:14 AM
FYI -- part of the Highstepper tradition of class -- they are there to perform ---not engage in banter back & forth with opponets ( or their own fans ) --they are taught to take care of business & perform at high level --not visit -- if any of you were ever in military --it is the same philosophy --when in formation -- do not talk with each other or bystanders --- no waving to Mom or boyfriend , etc.

That is what they are taught --- not their own personality ---of course there are some individuals that are "stuck-up " --- but that has nothing to do with the organizational philosophy

Well said!! Who ever is "Woodlands" up there you better watch what you say about your hometown! Your making us out to be what everyone thinks! It really isn't that true!

RedRage00
08-08-2005, 11:44 AM

It's the same way with the Victoriadores...that separates the "good" from the "bad"...and the Victoriadores are awesome ;)

http://www.victoriadores.org

Bootsdaddy
08-11-2005, 01:30 AM
The Woodlands are a fiesty bunch. Their newly crowned homecoming king (TE Kyle Anderson) was later thrown out of the game last year (vs. Humble) for misconduct. They got into a brawl at the 7 on 7 championship with Arlington Lamar a couple years ago. Maybe I just catch them on their bad days?

Not trying to pile on but I remember in last year's Lufkin-TWHS game Drabek had a "unsportsmanlike conduct" flag right after he shanked a punt. Set Lufkin up with great field position.