PDA

View Full Version : Music

lonny23
11-14-2005, 03:01 AM
You know we were posting the top songs when we graduated and I started posting all the songs I liked from the Top 100's a few weeks ago. At these deployed locations, they sometimes have morlae drives with movies and lots of music. They're pretty much communists here and shut a lot of that down, but they still have some. I found a golden treasure a few days ago. Somebody went back and copied the Complete Billboard Top 100 list for...

I had to do it like that since it's the best decade for music. That's AWESOME! :D

SeguinMatadors
11-14-2005, 05:47 AM
I had to do it like that since it's the best decade for music. That's AWESOME! :D

No arguement here.

lonny23
11-14-2005, 06:31 AM
No arguement here.
I'm glad you think that. Most people your age like that crap from today. Music is just getting worse and worse. It's to the point now that a song is 15 words repeated 15 times! :mad:

Redneckn
11-14-2005, 01:09 PM
80's music had it moments.. but the most part it sucked...
Thank God the mid-late 90's came and got things in order again.

The only good thing to come out of 80's music was inspiration for industrial/techno.

The only thing I listen to from the 80's with any consistancy is Metallica.

dada
11-14-2005, 01:17 PM
Lonny I know you get bored. Here is some research you can do. Which decade or year had the most one hit wonders?

ktchamp97
11-14-2005, 01:44 PM
There's a saying that goes something like...

"We used to have musicians experimenting with drugs. Now, we have drug addicts experimenting with music."

Redneckn
11-14-2005, 01:54 PM
There's a saying that goes something like...

"We used to have musicians experimenting with drugs. Now, we have drug addicts experimenting with music."

Good call on that one...I think the 2 kind of go hand in hand a lot of times.. not that I condone it, but I do feel like some interesting stuff can come out the sessions".

ktchamp97
11-14-2005, 02:22 PM
I have a theory on the whole booze, drugs, and rock and roll stuff...

I think alot of it started because people started taking stuff to calm their nerves before taking the stage. I play guitar, but I prefer to play alone or with headphones on. Even if I play in front of my brothers or my fiance, I get incredibly nervous and anxious to the point wher I nearly forget how to play altogether sometimes. If I had to play in front of an audience...well, forget that, I couldn't! I know that there have been many musicians, some famous, that had problems with stage fright, and I think the whole culture of drugs and heavy drinking in music started as a way to combat stage fright. Then, people figured out that they may be more creative when under the influence. Over time it just developed and intensified to the point where we're at now...where it's practically expected.

What do y'all think?

And, so as to keep this off-topic thread on topic...
I don't like hardly any of the "popular" music of today. I'm a guitar guy and, really, there aren't that many real good guitarists or good guitar rock bands these days. The 80's was a great decade for guitar even if it was buried within incredibly cheesy and gimmicky lyrics.

farmerfan
11-14-2005, 02:26 PM
I love 80's music. I got made fun of all throughout HS because I was the only blaring 80's rock before games. We had kids listening to 90's rock or rap, then I was all along in the corner or in my truck listening to my 80's rock. Long live the 80's.

jtk1519
11-14-2005, 02:28 PM
I despise 80's music and I am a child of the 80s. There was some good stuf... U2, Metallica, Bon Jovi (some of their stuff anyway), etc. The music from the early 90s to the around 97 or so was awesome. Bands like The Wallflowers, Oasis, Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Dave Matthews Band, Goo Goo Dolls, REM, etc. To me, it's a period rivaled only by the 70s when there were so many great bands from Lynard Skynard to Bad Company to Led Zepplin to and on and on. I just can't stand most 80s music.

farmerfan
11-14-2005, 02:35 PM
Nirvana and Pearl Jam are still classic.
Bad Company is awesome as is Boston.
I love Cinderella, Skid Row, Poision, Alice Cooper, Dio, Winger, Iron Maiden and Bon Jovi.
One of my all time favorite bands is U2, I had a buddy who hated U2 all the way up until last month when he went to their concert in DC, he came back a U2 fan.
I also love The Boss, Bruce Springstein.

lonny23
11-14-2005, 03:02 PM

I think alot of it started because people started taking stuff to calm their nerves before taking the stage. I play guitar, but I prefer to play alone or with headphones on. Even if I play in front of my brothers or my fiance, I get incredibly nervous and anxious to the point wher I nearly forget how to play altogether sometimes. If I had to play in front of an audience...well, forget that, I couldn't! I know that there have been many musicians, some famous, that had problems with stage fright, and I think the whole culture of drugs and heavy drinking in music started as a way to combat stage fright. Then, people figured out that they may be more creative when under the influence. Over time it just developed and intensified to the point where we're at now...where it's practically expected.

What do y'all think?

I don't like hardly any of the "popular" music of today. I'm a guitar guy and, really, there aren't that many real good guitarists or good guitar rock bands these days. The 80's was a great decade for guitar even if it was buried within incredibly cheesy and gimmicky lyrics.
I think there's a lot of truth to what you said. Hey, it's OK to get off topic in this forum! :p I always figured a lot of that stuff was done because it's the rebellious thing to do.

lonny23
11-14-2005, 03:04 PM
Lonny I know you get bored. Here is some research you can do. Which decade or year had the most one hit wonders?
Off the top of my head, I would have to guess the 80's. That question would take too much time and research to give the acknowledged correct answer. All I know is that I've heard a lot of 80's songs that I have no clue what other song somebody sung.

mad_fan
11-14-2005, 04:53 PM
Off the top of my head, I would have to guess the 80's. That question would take too much time and research to give the acknowledged correct answer. All I know is that I've heard a lot of 80's songs that I have no clue what other song somebody sung.

Here's a place to start the research....
http://www.onehitwondercentral.com/index.cfm
They even have forums (not that I'm trying to move you). :p

And no I'm not Einstein; I'm Google. :D

Redneckn
11-14-2005, 05:46 PM

What do y'all think?

Self medicating... I don't guess I ever really thought about that in that aspect. But that would tend to make a lot of sense.. I go thru the same thing when I drum.. I would rather not have to see anybody while drumming..

I do think people are more creative when under the influence of some things.. They have the ability to focus just on that and nothing else..
Really makes a lot of sense. :)

dragons08
11-14-2005, 07:33 PM
No arguement here.
im going to agree

chhspantherfan
06-15-2013, 06:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MJHgMD1S0bg

dmo069
06-15-2013, 06:56 PM
The 80s were way, way better overall that the 90's. I wish U2 never happened. LOL

slcdragonfan
06-15-2013, 09:52 PM
Considering what was recently said about me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPn0KFlbqX8