PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Top Texas QB ?

Texasfrog
05-28-2005, 04:07 PM
Who are they going to be for 2005 ? I have 3 catagories also.

1. Top Senior QB in Texas ?

2. Top Newcomer QB in Texas ?

3. Top underclassmen QB in Texas ?

My picks.....

Top 2005 Senior QB: Javon Snead (Stephenville 4A).

Top Newcomer QB: Preston Hill (Tyler Lee) He'll become a D-1A.

Top Underclassmen QB: Brett Parson (Woodlands, Tx)

What do ya'll say ?

NewSherriffInTown
05-28-2005, 04:52 PM
I have ZERO credibility when it comes to this topic as of now (I'll catch up to you guys sooner rather than later though) BUT...

I think the McKinnley kid from Leander if he takes the job from Dunn is going to be an excellent QB, and could be #2 and #3. We'll see how it goes.

My 2 cents on the Sr. thing off the top of my head....I give it to Stafford. I saw video of him, McElroy, and I'm not sure who else....I liked him the best.

jtk1519
05-28-2005, 07:03 PM
I just have a gut feeling that Greg McElroy is going to put up the biggest numbers and I suspect he might be the 5A offensive POY. I think Taylor Potts at Abilene High is going to be up there with Greg.

Top 2005 Senior QB: Greg McElroy (Southlake Carroll)

Top Newcomer QB: Greg McElroy (Southlake Carroll)

Top Underclassmen QB: Ryan Mallett (Texas High 4A)

Texasfrog
05-28-2005, 07:21 PM
I just have a gut feeling that Greg McElroy is going to put up the biggest numbers and I suspect he might be the 5A offensive POY. I think Taylor Potts at Abilene High is going to be up there with Greg.

Top 2005 Senior QB: Greg McElroy (Southlake Carroll)

Top Newcomer QB: Greg McElroy (Southlake Carroll)

Top Underclassmen QB: Ryan Mallett (Texas High 4A)

Good choices. The Mallett kid is interesting. I havent seen him play but have heard some great things about him. Some are saying he might be next years 2006 National #1 player.

nonebetter
05-28-2005, 07:49 PM
Top 2005 Senior QB: Taylor Potts, 65 210, Abilene
Newcomer of the year: QB Greg McElroy, 6'3 200 4.7, Southlake Carroll
Best Underclassmen: QB Nick Fanuzzi, 6'4 195 4.6, SA Churchill

Texasfrog
05-28-2005, 07:56 PM
Top 2005 Senior QB: Taylor Potts, 65 210, Abilene
Newcomer of the year: QB Greg McElroy, 6'3 200 4.7, Southlake Carroll
Best Underclassmen: QB Nick Fanuzzi, 6'4 195 4.6, SA Churchill

Havent heard "anything" about Fanuzzi. I'll have to keep an eye out for this kid. Hopefully he does well.

LeanderLions3033
05-28-2005, 08:22 PM
Top Sr: McElroy
Top New comer: McElroy
Top Underclassmen: probably the mallet kid from texarkana

Top underclassmen nobody has heard of: Josh McKinley (Al Pena and Paul Thompson all over again, just watch him play)

Texasfrog
05-28-2005, 10:06 PM
Top Sr: McElroy
Top New comer: McElroy
Top Underclassmen: probably the mallet kid from texarkana

Top underclassmen nobody has heard of: Josh McKinley (Al Pena and Paul Thompson all over again, just watch him play)

McKinley is going to be just as good as Pena and Thompson ? Have to keep an eye out for him.

LP-79
05-29-2005, 09:44 AM
As much hype as I have heard about him, I hope the new QB for Lufkin will be the top underclassman. Jeremy Claybon ( little mike vick ) Is supposed to be the best QB at Lufkin since Reggie. Lets hope so because it will be hard to live up to all the expectations.

Texasfrog
05-29-2005, 09:51 AM
As much hype as I have heard about him, I hope the new QB for Lufkin will be the top underclassman. Jeremy Claybon ( little mike vick ) Is supposed to be the best QB at Lufkin since Reggie. Lets hope so because it will be hard to live up to all the expectations.

Ya, its going to be interesting to see just how good Mr. Claybon is going to be this season. I know that Coach Outlaw swears by the youngmans ability.

LeanderLions3033
05-29-2005, 12:24 PM
He hasnt played a down of qb at the varsity level quite yet, but he seems a little further along then Paul Thompson was going into Pauls Jr year. Al Pena looked to be the best qb of the Leander bunch, but didnt quite make the strides from jr to sr year that Paul made (Paul Thompson is the undistputed best player to ever set foot on leander by the way he took over certain games), but Al's linebacker mantality made him a Leander all time favorite. Josh has a little bit of both in him, Pauls grace on the field, the way paul ran smooth and had shakes and zip on his passes, but he also has Al's swagger that you will not bring me down even though i am a qb, and he can and will run you over. If he gets the right amount of snaps he deserves, he will be a legend at Leander. Drew was 2nd team all district as a jr and led our district in passing yards, but Josh would bring our program to a different level in my opinion.

RGVBadBoy
05-29-2005, 12:29 PM
Al Pena played down here in the RGV his soph year for Rio Grande City, he was alright, but hardly the best QB in the RGV, he was however only a soph......i guess the supportign cast at Leander really helped him out....

LeanderLions3033
05-29-2005, 12:58 PM
At Leander, he stood 6'3" 210 ran a 4.5, was our district MVP (over Joey Parsons our 2000 yard rusher, and Erik Hardamen). He had this swagger about him that ive never seen at leander, he was my all time fav Leander player. Against Cedar Park that year, he ran the guy over at the goal line, and he didnt fall (it was one of those things you'd see on madden) and he just stood over him. And that game was a rivalry game, and that play was amazing. Although slower than Paul he ran better then him because of how tough he was to bring down. One problem that he ran into at Okie State, obviously was competing with a quarter back that plays exactly like him, but is just better, in Bobbie Reid and Donovan Woods. Against Pfluverville that year, in our 49-45 win, he had td runs of 85 and 55, and he finished the game with 230 yards rushing and 260 something yards passing, (i forget the exact number but it was in the paper as the most spectacular performance in the centex area in 03).

LarryFine
05-30-2005, 09:29 AM

1. Top Senior QB - Tylor Potts

2. Top Newcomer QB - Greg McElroy

3. Top underclassmen QB - Adrian Linwood or Justin Johnson

RGVBadBoy
05-30-2005, 10:00 AM
At Leander, he stood 6'3" 210 ran a 4.5, was our district MVP (over Joey Parsons our 2000 yard rusher, and Erik Hardamen). He had this swagger about him that ive never seen at leander, he was my all time fav Leander player. Against Cedar Park that year, he ran the guy over at the goal line, and he didnt fall (it was one of those things you'd see on madden) and he just stood over him. And that game was a rivalry game, and that play was amazing. Although slower than Paul he ran better then him because of how tough he was to bring down. One problem that he ran into at Okie State, obviously was competing with a quarter back that plays exactly like him, but is just better, in Bobbie Reid and Donovan Woods. Against Pfluverville that year, in our 49-45 win, he had td runs of 85 and 55, and he finished the game with 230 yards rushing and 260 something yards passing, (i forget the exact number but it was in the paper as the most spectacular performance in the centex area in 03).
wow, he was that good????? i wonder what some of the other QBs from down here could do up there?????

LeanderLions3033
05-30-2005, 10:21 AM
He also got coached by coach Gideon at qb, and he is one of the better qb coaches in central texas. He turned a jv wide reciever that never played a down of qb in his life, to a 2nd team all district qb behind only todd walker. (Im talking about Matt Parsons when he was a sr and when todd walker was a junior). Trust me, he obviously improved tons when he got up here, how can you not be good in high school at 6'3" 210 and runs a 4.5. Yo can't act like he wasnt one of the better players to come out of the south (he moved to leander his junior year) in years, hes playing at the next level, and not that the competition isnt high down there, but thats probably the last place you would expect a division 1 qb to come out of.
http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=11803

Texasfrog
05-30-2005, 10:37 AM
He also got coached by coach Gideon at qb, and he is one of the better qb coaches in central texas. He turned a jv wide reciever that never played a down of qb in his life, to a 2nd team all district qb behind only todd walker. (Im talking about Matt Parsons when he was a sr and when todd walker was a junior). Trust me, he obviously improved tons when he got up here, how can you not be good in high school at 6'3" 210 and runs a 4.5. Yo can't act like he wasnt one of the better players to come out of the south (he moved to leander his junior year) in years, hes playing at the next level, and not that the competition isnt high down there, but thats probably the last place you would expect a division 1 qb to come out of.
http://rivals100.ryivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=11803

I love it. He was the "South Texas POY" his junior year before he moved to Leander and some people in South Texas are trying to make it sound like he was just another average South Tx player.

I did think the Billy Garza kid (Brownsville) was very good. He looked good in the Texas Coaches Assoc. All-Star game that summer. He signed with Illinios but is still trying to make it on the Illinios 2-deep roster.

Chief Wahoo
05-30-2005, 10:48 AM
Top senior QB: Taylor Potts :D

Top Newcomer: Greg McElroy :cool:

Top Young Gun: Ryan Mallett :eek:

Texasfrog
05-30-2005, 10:58 AM
Top senior QB: Taylor Potts :D

Top Newcomer: Greg McElroy :cool:

Top Young Gun: Ryan Mallett :eek:

Not bad, cant argue with those. The only thing about Taylor Potts. I think his a very good QB and athlete. I saw a few Abilene games (ECA, Midland Lee and SLC) last year and his throwing motion and release are a little funky. His got that tall/long lanky throwing motion and he just kind of sidearm flinks the ball.

He'll have to tighten that up in college are it will hurt him badly at the next level.

NewSherriffInTown
05-30-2005, 11:11 AM
wow, he was that good????? i wonder what some of the other QBs from down here could do up there?????

This guy always tries to make that area look good and I laugh about it. I'm not from Texas and I know that it's the weakest part of the state.

Now that someone tells us that he was the player of the year...It's comical.

Chief Wahoo
05-30-2005, 11:18 AM
Not bad, cant argue with those. The only thing about Taylor Potts. I think his a very good QB and athlete. I saw a few Abilene games (ECA, Midland Lee and SLC) last year and his throwing motion and release are a little funky. His got that tall/long lanky throwing motion and he just kind of sidearm flinks the ball.

He'll have to tighten that up in college are it will hurt him badly at the next level.

I hear what you are saying there Tfrog...and I have read similar observations. Although he may not always score "style points" with some of his throws, the bottom line is he GETS THE JOB DONE. His size enables him to see the whole field and he is good at reading defenses. That is why he threw so few picks last year. He certainly didn't play like a young man playing his first year on varsity. I personally think he will tear it up this year. :cool:

Texasfrog
05-30-2005, 11:25 AM
I hear what you are saying there Tfrog...and I have read similar observations. Although he may not always score "style points" with some of his throws, the bottom line is he GETS THE JOB DONE. His size enables him to see the whole field and he is good at reading defenses. That is why he threw so few picks last year. He certainly didn't play like a young man playing his first year on varsity. I personally think he will tear it up this year. :cool:

O,ya.. I dont have any doubt that his going to do exremely well this coming season for Abilene. His got the natural ability and has some top flight receivers to throw to. Heck, I think the Lyle Leong kid is great at WR. He has to be one of Texas top #5 receivers for this season. That kid can run and jump and get the football.

My points about Potts are when he gets to the next level (major college). He'll have to tighen that throwing motion and release up because things will be "bigger, faster and better" and that sidearm fling release I dont think will cut it.

But, right now in High school he can get away with it.

Hopefully he can go to some camps this summer and get some top notch instruction that will tighten him up some.

LeanderLions3033
05-30-2005, 03:12 PM
Haha, come on RGVbadboy. One of your average players, i wasnt even aware that he was the south texas player of the year. It makes you wonder what other south texas qbs could do....... most likley they will end up being your average high school qb.

RGVBadBoy
05-30-2005, 07:13 PM
I love it. He was the "South Texas POY" his junior year before he moved to Leander and some people in South Texas are trying to make it sound like he was just another average South Tx player.

I did think the Billy Garza kid (Brownsville) was very good. He looked good in the Texas Coaches Assoc. All-Star game that summer. He signed with Illinios but is still trying to make it on the Illinios 2-deep roster.
i dont know if you noticed, but i didnt dog Al Pena, i just didnt think that he was all that when he was down here, i thought he was pretty good, but spectacular i didnt think so a couple of years pryer to Al Pena, Rio Grande City had a QB named Abel Gonzalez, now he was IMPRESSIVE, 5'11 190lbs and 4.4 i believe he held a bunch of records at Texas A&M kingsville, Al was good when i saw him, but he certainly wasnt the best QB when he was soph down here, dont get me wrong, i realize he was very young while he played down here, so its not like i called hima no talent loser, i just said he wasnt the best.... Billy Garza was prettty good, but he wasn't the best i have seen down here, but he was close.....I remember teh days of Mission's Koy Detmer and Lupe Rodriguez, now i thought those two were SPECTACULAR, or even Jaret VonRosenburge from Sharyland was pretty phenomenal this past season, although he failed to finish a complete season in HS, and will be playing Basketball at Texas not football

all i meant when i said, "i wonder what some other southtexas QBs could do" is exactly what it said, i wonder, guys like Albert Gonzalez from Harlingen this past season, Jaret VonRosenburg from Sharyland, Josh Saenz from McHi, Jerry Monroe from Bro. Pace and so on.....were all good players, i wonder what they could have done on a team with similar talent to Leander.

RGVBadBoy
05-30-2005, 07:19 PM
This guy always tries to make that area look good and I laugh about it. I'm not from Texas and I know that it's the weakest part of the state.

Now that someone tells us that he was the player of the year...It's comical.
the funniest thing is that the RGV is NOT the weakest region in TEXAS, Laredo and ElPaso are still battling for that title, the RGV is similar to Corpus Christi and thought the RGV and CB is not the toughest football region in texas, they certainly arent the WEAKEST.......whats comical is taht you think you know, but in reality you have NO IDEA...... in all fairness i could get a rats @$$ what you think Sherriff, your ignorance regarding Texas football has obviously clouded your vision when it comes to football.....do yourself a favor, save your ignorant comments for you own states HS football, im sure they'll be more welcomed there..

Red Raiders
05-30-2005, 08:43 PM

1. Top Senior QB in Texas ?

2. Top Newcomer QB in Texas ?

3. Top underclassmen QB in Texas ?

My picks.....

Top 2005 Senior QB: Javon Snead (Stephenville 4A).

Top Newcomer QB: Preston Hill (Tyler Lee) He'll become a D-1A.

Top Underclassmen QB: Brett Parson (Woodlands, Tx)

What do ya'll say ?

When Preston Hill was sophmore, he beat #1 Lufkin 2 seasons ago 21-14. It was very amazing.

Texasfrog
05-30-2005, 10:12 PM
When Preston Hill was sophmore, he beat #1 Lufkin 2 seasons ago 21-14. It was very amazing.

I was at that game. I was very impressed with him (Preston Hill). I thought he should of been starting last year. I know a few people around the program that seem to think that to. But, hey they won the State Title so I cant take anything away from Josh Hill.

But, when I saw Preston Hill in that Lufkin game I knew he was a bigtime gamer. I think this season he will have a very strong year and work himself into a nice college prospect. His got the size, arm and wheels to be one.

PS. Have it from a pretty good source that the Tyler Lee offense is going to open up more this season with Preston Hill.

Mr. Buddy Garrity
05-31-2005, 08:09 AM
So I take no one knows of Mr. Gilbert Moye? You'll know by seasons end this year though. :D

NewSherriffInTown
05-31-2005, 02:00 PM
the funniest thing is that the RGV is NOT the weakest region in TEXAS, Laredo and ElPaso are still battling for that title, the RGV is similar to Corpus Christi and thought the RGV and CB is not the toughest football region in texas, they certainly arent the WEAKEST.......whats comical is taht you think you know, but in reality you have NO IDEA...... in all fairness i could get a rats @$$ what you think Sherriff, your ignorance regarding Texas football has obviously clouded your vision when it comes to football.....do yourself a favor, save your ignorant comments for you own states HS football, im sure they'll be more welcomed there..

Ignorance is when you don't know a kid is the South Texas POY and you "wonder" how other QBs from down there would do.

raidercheerdad
05-31-2005, 02:57 PM
I was at that game. I was very impressed with him (Preston Hill). I thought he should of been starting last year. I know a few people around the program that seem to think that to. But, hey they won the State Title so I cant take anything away from Josh Hill.

But, when I saw Preston Hill in that Lufkin game I knew he was a bigtime gamer. I think this season he will have a very strong year and work himself into a nice college prospect. His got the size, arm and wheels to be one.

PS. Have it from a pretty good source that the Tyler Lee offense is going to open up more this season with Preston Hill.
Preston is taller and faster than his brother. I think he'll have a great year. Realistically, if we keep people healthy this year, it could be better than last(if it can get better)! I think the top senior is the Potts kid from Abilene. I saw him against Brownwood last year and was super-impressed. I don't have a clue about underclassmen.

Red Raiders
05-31-2005, 04:42 PM
Preston is taller and faster than his brother. I think he'll have a great year. Realistically, if we keep people healthy this year, it could be better than last(if it can get better)! I think the top senior is the Potts kid from Abilene. I saw him against Brownwood last year and was super-impressed. I don't have a clue about underclassmen.

Your wrong, Josh Hill is faster than Preston Hill but Preston makes better passing.

raidercheerdad
05-31-2005, 04:47 PM
not that it matters, but Preston is listed as 4.51 and Josh was listed as 4.62. All I can go by is what I read -- I didn't actually put the watch on either of them.

RGVBadBoy
05-31-2005, 06:37 PM
Ignorance is when you don't know a kid is the South Texas POY and you "wonder" how other QBs from down there would do.
no, ignorance is when you try to shed light on a situation but still remain completely in the dark.....in other words.....YOUR IGNORANT!!!!!

dragonsdaddy
05-31-2005, 06:39 PM
and in english, you're ignorant.

Texasfrog
05-31-2005, 07:41 PM
not that it matters, but Preston is listed as 4.51 and Josh was listed as 4.62. All I can go by is what I read -- I didn't actually put the watch on either of them.

Just comparing the two brothers on what I've seen "very limited" and heard some. Both are pretty quick (legit 4.6) speed. But, that Preston is a superior passer by far over Josh.

From what I saw it would be hard for me to argue that fact. I saw him make a few passes in that Lufkin game that were dang good for a 10th grader. He also showed me in that Lufkin game that he could take off and run it when things broke down (that was against a very strong Lufkin defense) so I was impressed.

I feel that Preston is going to have a break out year and do very well.

Purple Haze
06-01-2005, 05:46 PM
Looks like the Katy boys have made their pick for best QB: Abilene's Taylor Potts gets the nod. There are so many good ones out there though. We'll see if Potts can find some targets to throw to as Leong will draw double coverage a lot IMHO. :eek:

NewSherriffInTown
06-01-2005, 07:41 PM
You're Ignorant, you mean.

YOUR ignorant implies possession.

LP-79
06-02-2005, 07:37 AM
So I take no one knows of Mr. Gilbert Moye? You'll know by seasons end this year though. :D
I know who he is Scooter. I think this year Jasper will pass a heck of a lot more than they have in the past out of the spread formation. I think this time next year everybody will be calling him the best QB in Texas!

Mr. Buddy Garrity
06-02-2005, 10:48 AM
I know who he is Scooter. I think this year Jasper will pass a heck of a lot more than they have in the past out of the spread formation. I think this time next year everybody will be calling him the best QB in Texas!
I know people like to compare players with past players but i'm serious when I say this----He will be the best QB in East Texas since Reggie McNeal. He reminds me of him ALOT.

Gryegl
06-16-2005, 12:12 PM
And from under the radar.....the soon to be famous "MAC Attack". Watch for highly polished prototype pro style form, intelligence, all the passes, characterized by "lasers", and finally......big numbers. Non-typical highschool QB. Quote, TTech (QB U) media: "Greg McElroy will be among best in TX and possibly the best". Stay tuned on this guy...he is for real!

implacable44
06-16-2005, 01:31 PM
wow - when did tech become QB U ? Last I heard that was BYU -

top QB - Snead

top newcomer - Mcelroy - if only because the receivers he has to throw to and the offense he plays in.

top underclassman -????

southlake thug
06-16-2005, 08:16 PM
McElroy is by far the most dominant. he beat snead's a$$ on the most recent 7 on 7. he scorched him for 6 td's

protect the tradition

friendswood72
06-16-2005, 08:36 PM
southlake "thug",

That's awesome to hear Greg McElroy scorched Jevan Snead for 6 tds! But I could have sworn Jevan was a QB and did not play defense... Hmm, is this a new part of 7 on 7 where the QB's duel it out one on one?

Texasfrog
06-16-2005, 09:04 PM
McElroy is by far the most dominant. he beat snead's a$$ on the most recent 7 on 7. he scorched him for 6 td's

protect the tradition

Something tells me that McElroy probably has a few more higher caliber receivers at SLC than Snead. Just an opinion..

drgnbkr
06-16-2005, 09:33 PM
Yeah, there is no doubt that Snead did'nt see much time with the defense... Thug gets kind of excited.... ;) Stephenville will probably be a force again in 4-A.

southlake thug
06-17-2005, 12:45 AM
i am just defending a quality qb.

LeanderLions3033
06-17-2005, 02:13 AM
Are there thugs in Southlake?

Xfballphenome05
06-17-2005, 02:21 AM

lol...idk

southlake thug
06-17-2005, 08:35 AM

we have already discussed this is previous threads

unbiasedobserver
06-17-2005, 09:27 AM
No one has mentioned the kid from Westfield. I thought he was supposed to be the next Bobby Reid. Anyone one have any information on him? I think his name is Beasley.

implacable44
06-17-2005, 11:09 AM
hey you can stick up for your QB mr. Bone-Thugs and Harmony but at least make sense when you do it. He didn't scorch Snead. Did Snead even play that much in the second half ?

7 on 7 is not the best indicator to determine greatness. Let him take a few snaps.

Mr. Buddy Garrity
06-17-2005, 11:10 AM
No one has mentioned the kid from Westfield. I thought he was supposed to be the next Bobby Reid. Anyone one have any information on him? I think his name is Beasley.I think he will have a banner year. probably the 5th best QB in his class in the state along with McElroy, Snead, Harris, and Potts.

southlake thug
06-17-2005, 11:13 AM
ill agree

harris is going to make some noise

Bilbo
06-17-2005, 11:14 AM
No one has mentioned the kid from Westfield. I thought he was supposed to be the next Bobby Reid. Anyone one have any information on him? I think his name is Beasley.

Your talking about Pierre Beasley, he was very impressive last year and should be even better this year, good luck to him!

The Lufkin QB Jeremy Claybon is extremely talented, and a pleasure to watch.
I'm looking forward to his season.

Preston Hill for REL will be a welcome addition to LEE's offense, the arm is strong.

Gryegl
06-17-2005, 11:36 AM
wow - when did tech become QB U ? Last I heard that was BYU -

top QB - Snead

top newcomer - Mcelroy - if only because the receivers he has to throw to and the offense he plays in.

Mike Leach's TTech QB's have put up phenomenal numbers in recent years ...check 'em out. No argument regarding TT QB passing numbers in Big 12 or ?. In reality the Real Quarterback U., based on the number of QBs who have actually thrown at least one TD in an NFL regular season or playoff game, is Notre Dame. Followed by USC, Stanford, Washington. BYU had some good college QB's, but is far down on the list. Grated, just one measurement. Interesting, but, just like some body parts...everyone has one. I can send you a pretty good analyses of latter.

Regarding Snead. Nice QB! But, from what I've seen of him at venues he did choose to show up for, for head-to-head with other top rated TX QB's, not #1. Interesting to watch the FL bit...there are 3 QB's there now. One frosh out of Southern Cal, Fortis is as good as any...anyplace. Snead will be competing w/a FL '06 "Blue Chip" Tebou (Sp)...a 5-Star...if he accepts FL offer (has over 30) as he is expected to. This guy is really something...check out his video. Splinter time? Hope not.

Keeping an eye on McElroy. Definitely not the "snap plus 2-secs and a cloud of dust" prototype hs QB...but a seldom seen pure pro-style QB. If he is ever allowed to display continuity w/out QB alternations, has intelligent play selection, has the protection SLC lines have provided in past, and no bad luck...will be as good or better than billed. Granted....another woulda, coulda, shoulda, deal. Granted...great SLC receivers...but he and supporting cast also have to produce. Perhaps more teams (than already have) should adopt the /SLC "system" if they have the talent/coaching to implement it. Perhaps they would/could be more successful.

ktchamp97
06-17-2005, 12:07 PM

Beasley is a very talented player and he's done a fine job as Westfield's QB, but he is not on Bobby Reid's level. Beasley is more of an athlete playing QB and Reid is a QB who's a great athlete. If Reid hadn't undergone offseason shoulder surgery before last season, he would have started for Oklahoma State as a true freshman. Despite how well Donovan Woods performed in his absence, Reid is still on track to be the team's starter this fall.

For me...since we're talking all classifications...
Top QB: Matt Stafford
Top Newcomer: Greg McElroy
Top Underclassman: Gilbert Moye

5A only:
Top QB: Taylor Potts
Top Newcomer: Greg McElroy (one could make a case for Preston Hill too)
Top Underclassman: Nick Fanuzzi (Boogie Anognostu and Demetrius Woods are up there too)

PLAYMAKIN PANTHER
06-17-2005, 03:19 PM
Ok McElroy is a good strong armed quarterback but I dont even know if he will start the entire year for SLC with coaches son Riley Dodge creaping up behind him and out preforming him at 7 on 7 tournaments. And I know this sounds byast because im from colleyville but my pick for the top senior could be our own chris ponder with the pass heavy offense he could compete for the offensive POY and watch out for Colleyville to shake up things against SLC and Denton Ryan in district 5-5A

NewSherriffInTown
06-17-2005, 03:19 PM
I think he will have a banner year. probably the 5th best QB in his class in the state along with McElroy, Snead, Harris, and Potts.

You have Snead in there, so I know you weren't listing just 5a QBs...How can you have a top 5 without Matt Stafford, He is most people's #1.

dragonsdaddy
06-17-2005, 03:25 PM
see, you can give out info rather than opinions. why didn't you state from the getgo that leach was a player or coach under edwards. i don't think every lds member in the coaching profession is an edwards cohort, but i could be wrong.

i am a methodist as if that makes much difference in this discussion.much the same as how lds is not the issue either, though you are striving to make it so.
as for your mind-reading and spelling capabilities, you are a true legend.

southlake thug
06-17-2005, 03:47 PM
McElroy will not only start the whole year.. but he will prove all you haters wrong while doing it.

Mr. Buddy Garrity
06-17-2005, 04:28 PM
You have Snead in there, so I know you weren't listing just 5a QBs...How can you have a top 5 without Matt Stafford, He is most people's #1.
I have seen all those guys play---one in person, the other 4 on highlights throughout the season. I never seen stafford play.

Jtate862003
06-17-2005, 05:42 PM
For red raider cheerdad and the other red raider......preston is the faster qb....between his sophmore and jr yr i bet he went from running a 4.7 to running a 4.5.........i have always thought he has made better decisions protecting and throwing the ball......txfrog i have also heard that lee will open things up a little bit this yr with preston.....but witha gunslinger like that y not....but dont forget they dont exactly have a shabby rb either...and i hear the line...well the line isnt going to be exactly small..............the team this yr imo has a little less talent than the year b4 but also the team last yr had less than the previous yr...but talent has not been whats been winning these games its been playing as a team........so if lee can come together like they did last yr they will make ANOTHER deep run!!!!!!

GO TYLER LEE RED RAIDERS 05-06..

PS:glad to finally see more red raider fans on here i remember on the old board/site there was like me....and wait me....and maybe an occasional 1 other fan here and there.....

TEAMFALCON
06-17-2005, 09:32 PM
I don't know about the best QB in Texas in 2005, but our JR QB had over 2000 yards passing with 18 td in 2004. He will be a SR in 2005.

6'1 175 Brandon Kretz.

I think if you have a JR ANYWHERE in the state that throws over 2000 yards, its worth keeping an eye on.

Texasfrog
06-17-2005, 11:44 PM
For red raider cheerdad and the other red raider......preston is the faster qb....between his sophmore and jr yr i bet he went from running a 4.7 to running a 4.5.........i have always thought he has made better decisions protecting and throwing the ball......txfrog i have also heard that lee will open things up a little bit this yr with preston.....but witha gunslinger like that y not....but dont forget they dont exactly have a shabby rb either...and i hear the line...well the line isnt going to be exactly small..............the team this yr imo has a little less talent than the year b4 but also the team last yr had less than the previous yr...but talent has not been whats been winning these games its been playing as a team........so if lee can come together like they did last yr they will make ANOTHER deep run!!!!!!

GO TYLER LEE RED RAIDERS 05-06..

PS:glad to finally see more red raider fans on here i remember on the old board/site there was like me....and wait me....and maybe an occasional 1 other fan here and there.....

Hey JState.. Good to hear from ya. I heard that directly from one of Tyler Lee coaches that I talked to recently. He told me that REL offense is going to be more balanced and Preston Hill is going to help open up the offense with his all around ability. I think the direct quote was, " Preston Hill gives the offense alot more options."

I also agree with you that Jason Williams is a pretty dang good RB. I'll tell you one thing. That kid looks like a young Herschal Walker. His built like a truck and looks like he has 0% body fat.

The new O-line looks like its going to average around (6-1/255). Nice H.S O-line. Tyler Lee never seems to hurt when it comes to some big hogs.

I know that the Florida coach when he came to Tyler Lee's Spring game was really concerned about the overall Team size of Tyler Lee.

I think the biggest question for Tyler Lee is going to be many of the new defensive faces and how they show up for their first bigtime varsity experience. Other than about 4 defensive players not many others for REL have alot of varsity game experience. But, like you said, Tyler Lee always has talent and its more about how the team work and plays together more than anything.

Tyler Lee is being talked about alot now because they won the State title and they have a pretty exciting schedule coming up this season. Tends to lead to alot of talking and debating among H.S football fans.

Gryegl
06-19-2005, 11:39 AM
Ok McElroy is a good strong armed quarterback but I dont even know if he will start the entire year for SLC with coaches son Riley Dodge creaping up behind him and out preforming him at 7 on 7 tournaments. And I know this sounds byast because im from colleyville but my pick for the top senior could be our own chris ponder with the pass heavy offense he could compete for the offensive POY and watch out for Colleyville to shake up things against SLC and Denton Ryan in district 5-5A

Don't know what SLC 7X7's you have been watching Panther. Having closely watched the entire SLC scene, quite frankly see little to compare. No QB controversy here...especially when the pads start to crack. What we will see is durable pro-style QB who can see over offensive/defensive lines, can read defenses, isn't a member of the "snap +2 secs and a cloud of dust" bunch, and consistently throws accurate "non-floaters". Some of latter, so common to hs football have entertained SLC folks in the past...and have been successful. Unfortunately, recruitment to next level hasn't been as entertaining...marked difference between hs and college levels/potentials.

Expect fine athlete and young man Ponder to continue his outstanding performance...unfortunately, limited by a less than strong supporting cast.

Mr_Clean
06-19-2005, 01:03 PM
I believe Section 8 Sheriff mentioned Matthew Stafford.

Just an interesting note: Stafford was ranked as the top QB in the country in his class heading into last season by the Sporting News.

The other Texas QB to make that list was Arlington Bowie's Sharrod Harris.

LeanderLions3033
06-19-2005, 02:05 PM
^^if their doing those rankings based soley on potential, hten Harris has to be up near the top. The kids full of potential.