PDA

View Full Version : The Culture of my old community has changed

Vols4Ever
09-23-2008, 07:21 AM
I guess I have come to the conclusion that Bowie (Arlington) is just not the same place it once was... when I was there in the 90's.

I can remember we had a mock election for president at school in 1992, and George Bush Sr. won in a landslide over Clinton. Today, Obama would win in a super-landslide. Demographics and culture are very very different than they once were. Some folks would argue that the demographic shifts have led to a more talented pool of potential players -- but I think Carroll, Allen, and Trinity prove that theory wrong.

I went to the Bowie game vs. Skyline, and just saw people with a completely different outlook on life than me --- so many social activists supporting inexperienced community organizers for President. Young men with their underwear hanging out, with 'Obama' t-shirts on. Young women that had no idea of common decency in appearance -- scantily clad. You have to wonder -- 'Do these kid's parents care about their children's appearance or how they project themself?'. Nearly everything is culturally opposite of what I once knew at BHS. Of course if I were to speak out about the things I saw and heard -- I would likely be demonized as a racist....unless I was Bill Cosby. I can't imagine what the few Black Conservatives, who are culturally aligned with my ideas, must go through when they dare speak up -- but I wish there were more of them in the Bowie community.

The fact that Bowie is now majority black in itself does not bother me at all -
I am not an intolerant person. . But the fact that culturally I have little in common with the masses around me at the game is disheartening. I love meeting people and hearing about their interests, but it's hard to enjoy that when the world view is completely opposite from mine. I think part of the experience of going to the game is talking about things -- including faith, politics, and social concerns.

I suppose people that went to Dallas Kimball, Carter, Sunset, and South Oak Cliff in the 60's and 70's probably felt the same as me by the time the 80's came around.

I will always want the best for Bowie in football, but as I follow the masses and flee negative influences in the inner-suburbs, I am on the verge of latching on to another school -- a school who's supporters would accept my world view, and who's parents demand decency from their children -- a school that will ultimately be home to my kids (Marroon and White). Race has nothing to do with that --- it's more culture than anything else. But I suppose that the culturally negative aspects I see are tending to develop with the demographic shifts that are evident.

I have already made up my mind that this is the last season of me attending a large number of Bowie games, especially in light of my family moving beyond the 635 loop soon. But man oh man -- what a ride it was --- from the bottom to very near the top.

But at the end -- like nearly all the alumni of my era --- I have almost nothing in common with those in the stands there now. And no way would I have my child attend there now....

I admit it -- I am a culturalist, and want to be around others who are more like me ---- regardless of their race.

RedRage00
09-23-2008, 07:35 AM
Kids being kids? Yeah, thats at every school. I see things just as bad at all white rich schools in Dallas suburbs.

Just because their A&F jeans are baggy makes it better?

chhspantherfan
09-23-2008, 07:39 AM
Kids being kids? Yeah, thats at every school. I see things just as bad at all white rich schools in Dallas suburbs.

I thought your post said, " Sounds like you are a sellout." :rolleyes:

chhspantherfan
09-23-2008, 07:39 AM
Oh, I see. you edited it. :rolleyes:

RedRage00
09-23-2008, 07:40 AM
I thought your post said, " Sounds like you are a sellout." :rolleyes:

Yep, he'll need a new screenname as well.

RedRage00
09-23-2008, 08:04 AM
I guess I have come to the conclusion that Bowie (Arlington) is just not the same place it once was... when I was there in the 90's.

I can remember we had a mock election for president at school in 1992, and George Bush Sr. won in a landslide over Clinton. Today, Obama would win in a super-landslide. Demographics and culture are very very different than they once were. Some folks would argue that the demographic shifts have led to a more talented pool of potential players -- but I think Carroll, Allen, and Trinity prove that theory wrong.

I went to the Bowie game vs. Skyline, and just saw people with a completely different outlook on life than me --- so many social activists supporting inexperienced community organizers for President. Young men with their underwear hanging out, with 'Obama' t-shirts on. Young women that had no idea of common decency in appearance -- scantily clad. You have to wonder -- 'Do these kid's parents care about their children's appearance or how they project themself?'. Nearly everything is culturally opposite of what I once knew at BHS. Of course if I were to speak out about the things I saw and heard -- I would likely be demonized as a racist....unless I was Bill Cosby. I can't imagine what the few Black Conservatives, who are culturally aligned with my ideas, must go through when they dare speak up -- but I wish there were more of them in the Bowie community.

The fact that Bowie is now majority black in itself does not bother me at all -
I am not an intolerant person. . But the fact that culturally I have little in common with the masses around me at the game is disheartening. I love meeting people and hearing about their interests, but it's hard to enjoy that when the world view is completely opposite from mine. I think part of the experience of going to the game is talking about things -- including faith, politics, and social concerns.

I suppose people that went to Dallas Kimball, Carter, Sunset, and South Oak Cliff in the 60's and 70's probably felt the same as me by the time the 80's came around.

I will always want the best for Bowie in football, but as I follow the masses and flee negative influences in the inner-suburbs, I am on the verge of latching on to another school -- a school who's supporters would accept my world view, and who's parents demand decency from their children -- a school that will ultimately be home to my kids (Marroon and White). Race has nothing to do with that --- it's more culture than anything else. But I suppose that the culturally negative aspects I see are tending to develop with the demographic shifts that are evident.

I have already made up my mind that this is the last season of me attending a large number of Bowie games, especially in light of my family moving beyond the 635 loop soon. But man oh man -- what a ride it was --- from the bottom to very near the top.

But at the end -- like nearly all the alumni of my era --- I have almost nothing in common with those in the stands there now. And no way would I have my child attend there now....

I admit it -- I am a culturalist, and want to be around others who are more like me ---- regardless of their race.

It sounds to me like you need to get off your high horse a little bit. I also find it funny that you say race has nothing to do with it, but you bring it up? Why bring it up in the first place if it doesn't bother you? :rolleyes:

I know an older lady that graduated from Corpus Christi Miller back in the 60s when Corpus Christi only had Miller HS and Ray HS. They were "white" schools and very good football teams in her day. Now, you go to Miller and its majority black and hispanic and its a pretty poor school now. Worse than what you probably described at Bowie. And you know what? She didn't sell out. She goes to Miller games and she will still stand up and sing the alma mater when the band plays it even though the band has dwindled to like 50 members over the years. She may not have anything in common with the folks around her as far as social issues, politics, or whatever...but for that 2.5-3 hour time period they have ONE thing in common....MILLER BUC FOOTBALL! And that is the only reason they are there...to support the Bucs. Not talk about politics, world views,faith, etc. Save that for Sunday brunch.

Vols4Ever
09-23-2008, 09:04 AM
It sounds to me like you need to get off your high horse a little bit. I also find it funny that you say race has nothing to do with it, but you bring it up? Why bring it up in the first place if it doesn't bother you? :rolleyes:

I know an older lady that graduated from Corpus Christi Miller back in the 60s when Corpus Christi only had Miller HS and Ray HS. They were "white" schools and very good football teams in her day. Now, you go to Miller and its majority black and hispanic and its a pretty poor school now. Worse than what you probably described at Bowie. And you know what? She didn't sell out. She goes to Miller games and she will still stand up and sing the alma mater when the band plays it even though the band has dwindled to like 50 members over the years. She may not have anything in common with the folks around her as far as social issues, politics, or whatever...but for that 2.5-3 hour time period they have ONE thing in common....MILLER BUC FOOTBALL! And that is the only reason they are there...to support the Bucs. Not talk about politics, world views,faith, etc. Save that for Sunday brunch.

I will ride that high horse then.

I would not want my kids to be at Bowie High School today.... that is just reality.

The race factor is not the issue -- the issue is the change of culture to a more liberal one that bothers me most.

Vols4Ever
09-23-2008, 09:10 AM
Yep, he'll need a new screenname as well.

Yeah -- will probably adopt one representing the Wildcats -- my children's future home.

Maybe Vols2Cats. heh.

RedRage00
09-23-2008, 09:29 AM
Yeah -- will probably adopt one representing the Wildcats -- my children's future home.

Maybe Vols2Cats. heh.

Plano?

Nevermind, I see your location changed from Cedar Hill to Plano.

Well, you'll fit in in Plano. That's for sure.

Vols4Ever
09-23-2008, 09:32 AM
Plano?

Yep. Just north of the Bush Turnpike. The house is older than me :).

Vols4Ever
09-23-2008, 09:34 AM
Plano?

Nevermind, I see your location changed from Cedar Hill to Plano.

Well, you'll fit in in Plano. That's for sure.

How is that?

Generally 'white flighters' and conservatives?

I did what was best for my family.

pied

I would not want my kids to be at Bowie High School today.... that is just reality.

The race factor is not the issue -- the issue is the change of culture to a more liberal one that bothers me most.

Just asking, is it becasuse they support Obama?

Do you think it's that much different since '92? Was Bowie a school then, I thought it was later. Seems to me, kids tend to vote the incumbent could be wrong though.

Are you polling the new school to see what happens? What happens if in the mock election in November they vote BO? Do you keep moving? Is the new place Plano?

If so, you really will be at less Vols games. Take it from me. I have been in Highland Village the last 11 years and now am in FM. As the kids get older and into stuff(socer practice Friday nights) getting to Arlington is a pain, and not worth it. I am closer than you and Lamar is WAY north.

Firebird
I hate being around people who vote differently than me. Won't want my future kids around that sort of thing.

Vols4Ever
09-23-2008, 09:44 AM
I hate being around people who vote differently than me. Won't want my future kids around that sort of thing.

There is a total disconnect between the values Osama - I mean Obama espouses, and those I espouse.

So pretty much -- yeah. You are right. When your McCain yard sign is smashed and your McCain bumper sticker is defaced on your car -- yeah -- I would say that they don't want me around either.

RedRage00
09-23-2008, 09:44 AM
How is that?

Generally 'white flighters' and conservatives?

I did what was best for my family.

Pretty much.

Is that why you left Cedar Hill? Not white enough?

The difference between you and I is that I can go to a game featuring Plano West and have no problem going to another game featuring Bowie and their majority black crowds. :rolleyes:

Vols4Ever
09-23-2008, 09:46 AM
Just asking, is it becasuse they support Obama?

Do you think it's that much different since '92? Was Bowie a school then, I thought it was later. Seems to me, kids tend to vote the incumbent could be wrong though.

Are you polling the new school to see what happens? What happens if in the mock election in November they vote BO? Do you keep moving? Is the new place Plano?

If so, you really will be at less Vols games. Take it from me. I have been in Highland Village the last 11 years and now am in FM. As the kids get older and into stuff(socer practice Friday nights) getting to Arlington is a pain, and not worth it. I am closer than you and Lamar is WAY north.

Trust me -- I know I wont be back, except for special events -- homecomings occasionally, or by chance, if Bowie plays up here, or Plano plays down there.

My brother moved north too. Soon, the whole family will be gone from the I-20 corridor.

dada
09-23-2008, 09:46 AM
mole hil moutain

pied
09-23-2008, 09:47 AM
There is a total disconnect between the values Osama - I mean Obama espouses, and those I espouse.

So pretty much -- yeah. You are right. When your McCain yard sign is smashed and your McCain bumper sticker is defaced on your car -- yeah -- I would say that they don't want me around either.

Wow. What are those?

RedRage00
09-23-2008, 09:48 AM

That is a risk you take by openly putting your political views out there. That is the same reason I would never put any type of sticker on my car that concerns politics because I do not want someone to mess with my car or a cop who hates my views to have a reason to pull me over. It works both ways.

dada
09-23-2008, 09:51 AM
That is a risk you take by openly putting your political views out there. That is the same reason I would never put any type of sticker on my car that concerns politics because I do not want someone to mess with my car or a cop who hates my views to have a reason to pull me over. It works both ways.

Miss Kitty had here truck keyed because of a Katy Sticker.....kids will be kids....if that was the case....after 2 or 3 lynchings you would have thought all blacks would have migrated North because they didnt want to be around people who didnt vote like them........some of this is over the top.

Vols4Ever
09-23-2008, 09:54 AM
Pretty much.

Is that why you left Cedar Hill? Not white enough?

The difference between you and I is that I can go to a game featuring Plano West and have no problem going to another game featuring Bowie and their majority black crowds. :rolleyes:

It's not that I have a problem with going to a Bowie game.... you took that all wrong.

It's that I have a problem with the general environment at the Bowie games. I wont mince words -- but the thug culture, or at least the appearance of it, is the rule there. It is not comfortable for me to bring my family to the games anymore. The same way most in the Bowie crowd would view Robert E. Lee as a racist, I view Malcolm X in the same regard -- yet he is on shirt after shirt.

It's a total combination of the liberalism there now, plus what I believe is detractive behavior that hurts EVERYONE and sets a bad example for children.

It's not that the crowd is black. It's that the crowd has nothing in common with me. If it were white and the behavior and political slant were the same, I would still be upset.

Heck, I would love to be in a conservative majority black community --- but that simply does not exist. If Clarence Thomas and Alan Keyes were the norm at Bowie games, I would not have minded at all. But the Jeremiah Wrights, Ludacris, and Al Sharptons seem to be the majority by a mile. There are a few -- like Dwight McKissic and Darrell Sneed -- but these guys are 'house negros' of course -- according to the left.

Firebird
09-23-2008, 09:55 AM

He doesn't demonize people based on their political views or make totally false and ridiculous connections between his political opponents and murderers?

If those are your values, yeah, you might be better off where there are only Republicans.

Vols4Ever
09-23-2008, 10:03 AM
He doesn't demonize people based on their political views or make totally false and ridiculous connections between his political opponents and murderers?

If those are your values, yeah, you might be better off where there are only Republicans.

Yeah - he doesn't demonize people based on their political views --- like his constant demonizing of 'the rich' ? http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-campaign-wealthaug22,0,870823.story

(http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-campaign-wealthaug22,0,870823.story)

10 out of 10 terrorist would vote for Obama and the policy of surrender -- if they could vote. Then again, Obama and Democrats probably think terrorists should vote, just like they think convicted felons should too --- along with dead people too.

Firebird
09-23-2008, 10:09 AM
Yeah - he doesn't demonize people based on their political views --- like his constant demonizing of 'the rich' ? http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-campaign-wealthaug22,0,870823.story

(http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-campaign-wealthaug22,0,870823.story)

10 out of 10 terrorist would vote for Obama and the policy of surrender -- if they could vote. Then again, Obama and Democrats probably think terrorists should vote, just like they think convicted felons should too --- along with dead people too.

Yeah, saying that your opponent is too wealthy to understand the concerns of average Americans is TOTALLY the same as comparing him to a mass murderer.

dada
09-23-2008, 10:10 AM

10 out of 10 mothers of pregnant teens would vote for McCain....what's the point? Thats what makes this AMERICA....everyone has the freedom and liberty to voice their opinion and vote for who they choose....this isnt a communist country where someone who dosen't share the same views as you is a threat. "I don't want to be around people who don't share the same views as me" is crazy.....what if everyone thought like that...the kids with the pants saggin voting for Obama is no different than the Weed smokers with Peace signs on their shirts voting. Seriously...I would rather people just come out and say "I'm not Voting for the Black Guy".....that would be easier to digest than to make a statement based on what kids at a high school game are wearing and what music they listen too.

GoOwls
09-23-2008, 10:22 AM

Liar...you love me and you know it....:eek:

dada
09-23-2008, 10:25 AM
Liar...you love me and you know it....:eek:

seriously....If I distanced myself from everyone who didnt share my views.....I would't have any friends.

GoOwls
09-23-2008, 10:25 AM

Yeah, and if you are from Garland, don't have a Garland Owls sticker on your car while driving through Highland Park or you'll get a police escort out of town.....unless you are the cleaning lady, of course....:D

GoOwls
09-23-2008, 10:28 AM
seriously....If I distanced myself from everyone who didnt share my views.....I would't have any friends.

I know you love me too.....:D

dada
09-23-2008, 10:34 AM
I know you love me too.....:D

If I hated you because you voted for McCain.....what does that say about me?.......To me that would make me ignorant and shallow. World would be no fun if we all thought alike.....If I support McCain and Obama wins......McCain is still President of My country and vise versa. What do you do? Move to another country? The only thing this election is doing is showing is that we really havent made progress in race relations......I've always known that so it's no suprise to me.

RedRage00
09-23-2008, 10:34 AM
Yeah, and if you are from Garland, don't have a Garland Owls sticker on your car while driving through Highland Park or you'll get a police escort out of town.....unless you are the cleaning lady, of course....:D

Yall do work hard though. ;)

pied
09-23-2008, 10:37 AM
If I hated you because you voted for McCain.....what does that say about me?.......To me that would make me ignorant and shallow. World would be no fun if we all thought alike.....If I support McCain and Obama wins......McCain is still President of My country and vise versa. What do you do? Move to another country? The only thing this election is doing is showing is that we really havent made progress in race relations......I've always known that so it's no suprise to me.

That appears to be the answer, substitute Plano for another country.

tayb
09-23-2008, 10:46 AM

That's not true I think we really have made progress in race relations but this election is highlighting only the bad. Just look at the number of "white people" who claim to be voting for Obama, rewind 20 years ago and see if those numbers are even close. There are definitely plenty of racists and closet racists out there but I think we have made progress.

dada
09-23-2008, 10:56 AM
That's not true I think we really have made progress in race relations but this election is highlighting only the bad. Just look at the number of "white people" who claim to be voting for Obama, rewind 20 years ago and see if those numbers are even close. There are definitely plenty of racists and closet racists out there but I think we have made progress.

Good point.....the closet ones are still there...just coming out more.....but me being not too far removed from this "Pants sagging" generation......none of this is new to me. I think that some people are making this election to personal and it' fueled by fear,ignorance,stereotypes and hate......on both sides.

RedRage00
09-23-2008, 11:00 AM

We've made progress with the people our own age. Its the older people that still have issues with it.

GoOwls
09-23-2008, 11:00 AM

I KNEW you loved me.....:D

dada
09-23-2008, 11:01 AM
We've made progress with the people our own age. Its the older people that still have issues with it.

+1.....lol

GoOwls
09-23-2008, 11:01 AM
Yall do work hard though. ;)

Dang straight....be-hotch....:eek: ;) :D

pied
09-23-2008, 11:03 AM
Good point.....the closet ones are still there...just coming out more.....but me being not too far removed from this "Pants sagging" generation......none of this is new to me. I think that some people are making this election to personal and it' fueled by fear,ignorance,stereotypes and hate......on both sides.

And I think this statement by V4E shows that pretty clearly in my opinion.

What values does Barack Obama differ from John McCain that differs from Joe Biden that differs from Sarah Palin?

I think the values are the same, but the policies how to get those values elevated may be different.

chhspantherfan
09-23-2008, 11:06 AM
And I think this statement by V4E shows that pretty clearly in my opinion.

What values does Barack Obama differ from John McCain that differs from Joe Biden that differs from Sarah Palin?

I think the values are the same, but the policies how to get those values elevated may be different.

EXACTLY.....where is the Conservative candidate?:rolleyes:

dada
09-23-2008, 11:08 AM
I KNEW you loved me.....:D

I love people. I love interacting with people who are the exact opposite of me....don't want to get to the pearly gates and miss out meeting someone and learning something new because of my ignorance. And yes GoOwls....you fall into the "people" catagory...lol

GoOwls
09-23-2008, 11:19 AM
I love people. I love interacting with people who are the exact opposite of me....don't want to get to the pearly gates and miss out meeting someone and learning something new because of my ignorance. And yes GoOwls....you fall into the "people" catagory...lol

I'm a "people" and I'm loved......I can die now......

;) :D :D

dragonsdaddy
09-23-2008, 11:31 AM
10 out of 10 mothers of pregnant teens would vote for McCain....what's the point? Thats what makes this AMERICA....everyone has the freedom and liberty to voice their opinion and vote for who they choose....this isnt a communist country where someone who dosen't share the same views as you is a threat. "I don't want to be around people who don't share the same views as me" is crazy.....what if everyone thought like that...the kids with the pants saggin voting for Obama is no different than the Weed smokers with Peace signs on their shirts voting. Seriously...I would rather people just come out and say "I'm not Voting for the Black Guy".....that would be easier to digest than to make a statement based on what kids at a high school game are wearing and what music they listen too.
dada, i seem to remember that you have recently moved your kids to the kt school district. why was that? did it have anything to do with the fact that you thought it would be a better place to raise your kids and they would have a better chance at a good education and a better outcome in their teenage years. how is vols effort any different? he said, as you did, not in my back yard, and changed his address.

dada
09-23-2008, 11:41 AM
dada, i seem to remember that you have recently moved your kids to the kt school district. why was that? did it have anything to do with the fact that you thought it would be a better place to raise your kids and they would have a better chance at a good education and a better outcome in their teenage years. how is vols effort any different? he said, as you did, not in my back yard, and changed his address.

Not the same. From what I got out of the message....I could be wrong...was that "Obama becoming President was his worst nightmare....and the people around him could make HIS nightmare a reality"....me, being able to afford better things so that my kids won't have the struggles I did...isnt in the same ballbark.....to me it seems like a self-imposed reverse segregation.....My neighbor having a McCain sign in his yard isnt reason for me to look at political signs in the yards when house hunting. I'm not moving based on stereotypes of a certain group of people. If I come on here and say..."I was at a katy game and saw a lot of McCain stickers and realized it's not the same as 1990(Times DO change)...I need to move where there are more Obama supporters.....basicly what I'm saying is...."I need to be around my OWN people".....but then again, thats just me and how I interpreted it.

And to clear things up...Technically, the School district I'm in now(Cy-Fair) is better than Katy's......I'm choosing Katy due to some of the great people I've met and won't to be around and I could care less who they are voting for.

GoOwls
09-23-2008, 11:46 AM
;)
Not the same. From what I got out of the message....I could be wrong...was that "Obama becoming President was his worst nightmare....and the people around him could make HIS nightmare a reality"....me, being able to afford better things so that my kids won't have the struggles I did...isnt in the same ballbark.....to me it seems like a self-imposed reverse segregation.....My neighbor having a McCain sign in his yard isnt reason for me to look at political signs in the yards when house hunting. I'm not moving based on stereotypes of a certain group of people. If I come on here and say..."I was at a katy game and saw a lot of McCain stickers and realized it's not the same as 1990(Times DO change)...I need to move where there are more Obama supporters.....basicly what I'm saying is...."I need to be around my OWN people".....but then again, thats just me and how I interpreted it.

And to clear things up...Technically, the School district I'm in now(Cy-Fair) is better than Katy's......I'm choosing Katy due to some of the great people I've met and won't to be around and I could care less who they are voting for.

I think ya'll said it different, but the results are the same....:rolleyes:

dada
09-23-2008, 11:49 AM
;)

I think ya'll said it different, but the results are the same....:rolleyes:

Which proves my point....to some...running from the obama voter is like running from the drug dealers and thugs....after all......only THOSE folk are voting for Obama, right? Which is why I said fueled by ignorance and stereotypes.

GoOwls
09-23-2008, 11:50 AM
Which proves my point....to some...running from the obama voter is like running from the drug dealers and thugs....after all......only THOSE folk are voting for Obama, right? Which is why I said fueled by ignorance and stereotypes.

Oh hell yeah....;) :D

Vols4Ever
09-23-2008, 12:43 PM

I can't believe you said it.........not me.

99% of Hip Hop endorsing Obama is all I need to know about who not to vote for.

dada
09-23-2008, 01:07 PM

And Hip Hop to you is ignorance and "thugghish" right?......I know SEVERAL people in the Hip Hop industry that aren't Obama supporters.......

Again...."STEREOTYPING" at it's finest.

tayb
09-23-2008, 01:13 PM

99% of retired white folks voting McCain is all I need to know about who not to vote for.

Wait.... what?

Can't believe you let how someone else votes determine who you vote for.

dada
09-23-2008, 01:13 PM
99% of retired white folks voting McCain is all I need to know about who not to vote for.

Wait.... what?

Can't believe you let how someone else votes determine who you vote for.

Scary isnt it???

tayb
09-23-2008, 01:16 PM
Scary isnt it???

Scary that there are millions of eligible voters out there just like that.

"Well my neighbor is voting Obama and he has a really annoying loud dog so I know that Obama supports are annoying. I am going to vote McCain."

Pinion

There is nothing really wrong with that. I think it's human nature to want to be around others that are like ourselves.
That being said, I think we cannot limit ourselves too much.

For me personally, there was a time in my life where I was ignorant of other cultures. I was so fearful of any kind of difference that I could not be around people from other cultures.
Thank God I have matured and come to realize that we are all here and we are all going to either live together or die together.

That does not mean I agree and accept every culture different from my own. There are still some cultures and aspects of other cultures that disturb me and I choose to not be around them.

And yes, race has very little to do with it. Or at least it should. I cannot judge anyone based on the color of their skin. I can make my own personal judgements about them based on their culture though. That doesnt mean my ideas and ideals are right for everyone, that just means that they're right for me.

RedRage00
And Hip Hop to you is ignorance and "thugghish" right?......I know SEVERAL people in the Hip Hop industry that aren't Obama supporters.......

Again...."STEREOTYPING" at it's finest.

He's going to be in for a big surprise when he enrolls his kids at Plano Senior High and realizes that all those white kids are embracing the hip-hop culture and trying to dress and act like it. I've seen it. These white kids trying to be the next eminem. I just laugh when I see them and continue to enjoy the game.

dada
09-23-2008, 01:18 PM
There is nothing really wrong with that. I think it's human nature to want to be around others that are like ourselves.
That being said, I think we cannot limit ourselves too much.

For me personally, there was a time in my life where I was ignorant of other cultures. I was so fearful of any kind of difference that I could not be around people from other cultures.
Thank God I have matured and come to realize that we are all here and we are all going to either live together or die together.

That does not mean I agree and accept every culture different from my own. There are still some cultures and aspects of other cultures that disturb me and I choose to not be around them.

And yes, race has very little to do with it. Or at least it should. I cannot judge anyone based on the color of their skin. I can make my own personal judgements about them based on their culture though. That doesnt mean my ideas and ideals are right for everyone, that just means that they're right for me.

If this is who I THINK it its........I applaud you!

dada
09-23-2008, 01:20 PM
He's going to be in for a big surprise when he enrolls his kids at Plano Senior High and realizes that all those white kids are embracing the hip-hop culture and trying to dress and act like it. I've seen it. These white kids trying to be the next eminem. I just laugh when I see them and continue to enjoy the game.

Yep....Hip Hop has "Shifted"......we don't want that sh*t anymore.....LMAO. I sung Careless Whispers, Sunglasses at night and Boggie Nites with Miss Kitty on the way to Waco.:D

pied
09-23-2008, 01:26 PM
I think it is very natural to be around people like you. Someitmes that's by race, sometimes by gender, sometimes by hometown, sometimes by the team you root for. It's natural and nothing we do or legislate will change that. I think it's certainly understandable to move and live and associate with those that are like you.

The problem in my opinion, is when we begin to think that the others are bad. That's some of the underlying feeling I see in these posts.

I'll go back to the first page:

You are making value judgements, which to this point you have failed to address. What are the values that Obama espouses that you disagree with?

Pinion
09-23-2008, 01:27 PM
If this is who I THINK it its........I applaud you!

I'm prolly not who you think I am. But then, I get around to a few different boards, so you may indeed know who I am. Or you could be the guy that used to live across the hall from me. haha.. I dunno.

There is nothing to applaud IMO. I wasted a lot of years in my life and missed out on meeting a lot of people because I was blinded by ignorance.
I think everybody goes thru something similar. Most people just get it out of their systems earlier on than I did.

RedRage00
09-23-2008, 01:28 PM
I think it is very natural to be around people like you. Someitmes that's by race, sometimes by gender, sometimes by hometown, sometimes by the team you root for. It's natural and nothing we do or legislate will change that. I think it's certainly understandable to move and live and associate with those that are like you.

The problem in my opinion, is when we begin to think that the others are bad. That's some of the underlying feeling I see in these posts.

I'll go back to the first page:

You are making value judgements, which to this point you have failed to address. What are the values that Obama espouses that you disagree with?

He won't answer you.

dada
09-23-2008, 01:28 PM
I'm prolly not who you think I am. But then, I get around to a few different boards, so you may indeed know who I am. Or you could be the guy that used to live across the hall from me. haha.. I dunno.

There is nothing to applaud IMO. I wasted a lot of years in my life and missed out on meeting a lot of people because I was blinded by ignorance.
I think everybody goes thru something similar. Most people just get it out of their systems earlier on than I did.

Did you pull a gun on the guy across from you because of the music? LOL

Pinion
09-23-2008, 01:34 PM
Did you pull a gun on the guy across from you because of the music? LOL

I've done a lot of things in my life. most of them are funny in one way or another. Some of them were not so funny and could have (and did in some cases) had very serious outcomes.
That being said, I plead the 5th.

chhspantherfan
09-23-2008, 02:17 PM
I've done a lot of things in my life. most of them are funny in one way or another. Some of them were not so funny and could have (and did in some cases) had very serious outcomes.
That being said, I must have had a 5th.

FIFY:D

dada
09-23-2008, 02:23 PM
That being said, I plead the 5th.

Gotcha!;).........and again:notworthy

Pinion
09-23-2008, 02:31 PM
FIFY:D

lol. no drinking is something else I've pretty much given up. too much other stuff going on and I've no time for it or the hangover.

dragonsdaddy
09-23-2008, 02:45 PM

parse it as you will, there isn't a shred of difference in the final tally. you had the opportunity and the wherewithal to do what you thought was best for yourself and your kids. vols did exactly the same thing.

and for all of the knowitall youth who have imparted their minimal wisdom, plano has had and still does have quite a bit of diversity. probably quite a bit more than bowie. pwest is less so, but both good and east are widely mixed in ethnicity and culture and financial well-being.

pied
09-23-2008, 02:59 PM
parse it as you will, there isn't a shred of difference in the final tally. you had the opportunity and the wherewithal to do what you thought was best for yourself and your kids. vols did exactly the same thing.

and for all of the knowitall youth who have imparted their minimal wisdom, plano has had and still does have quite a bit of diversity. probably quite a bit more than bowie. pwest is less so, but both good and east are widely mixed in ethnicity and culture and financial well-being.

You are correct, Plano East and Williams HS are part of United Way's Destination Graduation to help schools w/low graduation rates improve on a variety of fronts. PESH was jsut added last year and is now with Kimball/Thomas Jefferson/Samuell.

No word if any of them might vote for Obama.

RedRage00
09-23-2008, 03:15 PM

There is a difference between Dada and Vols. Vols is on his high horse putting himself above everyone at Bowie and sticking them into a stereotype. Dada may live in the Cy-Fair school district but I bet he has no problems going back to where he grew up at in Houston and hanging out with the people there. I don't see Dada coming in here starting a post that he is better than everyone he grew up with because he got out of that area. Dada is not a sell-out. You can become a successful person and move to a better area and not forget where you come from. There is a difference.

I wouldn't expect you to understand that though.

dada
09-23-2008, 03:20 PM
There is a difference between Dada and Vols. Vols is on his high horse putting himself above everyone at Bowie and sticking them into a stereotype. Dada may live in the Cy-Fair school district but I bet he has no problems going back to where he grew up at in Houston and hanging out with the people there. I don't see Dada coming in here starting a post that he is better than everyone he grew up with because he got out of that area. Dada is not a sell-out. You can become a successful person and move to a better area and not forget where you come from. There is a difference.

check is in the mail:cool:

dragonsdaddy
09-23-2008, 03:48 PM

i wouldn't expect you to have a clue, as your "wisdom" will evarorate as you mature. dada has chosen not to raise his kids where he grew up for exactly the same reason, though better intentioned, that vols has floundered through. no one is faulting anyone for their actions here on my end, and i'd advise you to not put words in dada's mouth. people change. neighborhoods change. priorities change. several, maybe most on here have chosen to have families and how they raise their children is dependent in a large part on where they choose to live. dada seems to feel most comfortable doing this in kt, not the 5th ward(just a guess). vol has chosen plano. for the same reasons? in actuality, yes. i am not agreeing or disagreeing with either as to the choice, or for their reasons. some here seem to place lots of emphasis on the motives and less/none on real dilemna. should the jews have just ridden out the coming nazi regime? the climate in europe was changing and the wise found a way out(obviously an over-the-top example- but only marginally so). vols has seen a situation that has forced him to give up on his plans to raise his kids where he grew up. he is being castigated unfairly. how many here would voluntarily place their kids in a school where you felt their chances were suboptimal at best, just to prove a point? he may be making a mistake. only time will tell. some are held in high regard for improving the chances that their kids will succeed, based on their stated reasons. i think whoever had the mountain/molehill was dead on.

Firebird
09-23-2008, 03:57 PM
i wouldn't expect you to have a clue, as your "wisdom" will evarorate as you mature. dada has chosen not to raise his kids where he grew up for exactly the same reason, though better intentioned, that vols has floundered through. no one is faulting anyone for their actions here on my end, and i'd advise you to not put words in dada's mouth. people change. neighborhoods change. priorities change. several, maybe most on here have chosen to have families and how they raise their children is dependent in a large part on where they choose to live. dada seems to feel most comfortable doing this in kt, not the 5th ward(just a guess). vol has chosen plano. for the same reasons? in actuality, yes. i am not agreeing or disagreeing with either as to the choice, or for their reasons. some here seem to place lots of emphasis on the motives and less/none on real dilemna. should the jews have just ridden out the coming nazi regime? the climate in europe was changing and the wise found a way out(obviously an over-the-top example- but only marginally so). vols has seen a situation that has forced him to give up on his plans to raise his kids where he grew up. he is being castigated unfairly. how many here would voluntarily place their kids in a school where you felt their chances were suboptimal at best, just to prove a point? he may be making a mistake. only time will tell. some are held in high regard for improving the chances that their kids will succeed, based on their stated reasons. i think whoever had the mountain/molehill was dead on.

So support for Obama= only marginally better than support for the Nazis.:rolleyes:

BTW, I think it is you that is putting words into Vols mouth. Vols entire original gripe was mostly centered around how many "Vote4Obama" t-shirts he saw. He did not mention rampant crime. He did not mention poor school performance. Perhaps all of those things are a problem there, but he certainly did not mention it. He mentioned no tangible, measurable way that the people at Arlington Bowie were doing things worse than the people in the suburb he wanted to move to, aside from their support for Obama.

He did mention the "inappropriate dress" of some of the kids he saw, but IMO that is a completely useless ploy. I see lots of young people showing too much of themselves, but the one constant is that they nearly ALL do it, regardless of the race or class of their parents. There are plenty of little tartlets flaunting what they have in the lily white suburbs.

the_phoenix612
09-23-2008, 04:15 PM

aww, I'm sorry the youth doesn't like your outdated values and your habitual forcing of YOUR moral on everybody else.

Perhaps that's why there is no "true conservative" running for office.

He/She'd get annihilated.

For every 1 person who would vote for the candidate because they are more conservative, I would wager that there are 1.5-2 who would NOT.

but maybe this is just because I'm in college, surrounded by communist hippie professors that encourage promiscuous sex out of wedlock, and I watch the Librul media constantly, and THEY tell me to kill babies and club puppies laughing maniacally listening to rap as loud as i can.

:rolleyes:

RedRage00
09-23-2008, 04:15 PM

I guess your wisdom evaporated (or evarorated) with age too since you can't even write a decent paragraph with correct grammar and capitalization. It's always a blast trying to figure out what in the world you are saying. :rolleyes:

Anyway, Firebird pretty much summed up what I was going to say next. Its not our fault your wisdom has "evarorated" so much that you can't understand it.

the_phoenix612
09-23-2008, 04:18 PM
I guess your wisdom evaporated (or evarorated) with age too since you can't even write a decent paragraph with correct grammar and capitalization. It's always a blast trying to figure out what in the world you are saying. :rolleyes:

Anyway, Firebird pretty much summed up what I was going to say next. Its not our fault your wisdom has "evarorated" so much that you can't understand it.

I think one of the first things you have to do as a conservative is to remove the enter key from your keyboard.

the more mushed up and confusing the text is, the more easily the bull**** is lost in translation, i guess:eek::D

pied
09-23-2008, 04:24 PM

Just a small point, V4E has not lived in Arlington for some time. He has lived in the CHill. Also, if you read his post, he is talking about not going to any Bowie games because of this, not the moving part. That may and probably is part of it, but not the initial point.

I think it would be the same if Dada said he was moving and not going to any games from his old place.

Vols4Ever
09-23-2008, 04:47 PM

I wont be shocked to see Plano kids listening to hip hop-- in fact, I am a former consumer of Enminem's trash. And Jay-Z. And all the way back to Public Enemy and Beastie Boyz. I know that white america is the #1 consumer of hip-hop. You guys did make me think -- I am getting away from what I resembled at one point -- during my more liberal days...... it's by God's grace that I am not into that kind of garbage any longer.

But it's negative effects on the black community are accentuated by the absence of black fathers, which is way higher than what whites see. It has less of an impact on families with active parents (father and mother) regardless of racial background or socio-economic status. Put hip hop, with little or no fatherly guidance, plus poverty or economically disadvantaged kids, and you have the recipe for 'thug life'. Heck -- thug life is even glorified by lots of adults in the crowd even --- I see the label on their hoodies.

Like I said -- it's the leftist hip-hop culture I detest, and the social engineering lies of so-called great leaders like Cornel West, Al Sharpton, and Jessie Jackson. I am absolutely in agreement that members of this culture can come from any background. Equivalently, I could never see myself in some 'redneck' town where the Confederate flag is routinely glorified -- and where a bunch of Cowboys getting drunk off their mind is glorified in 'country music'.

No - I don't think I am better than anyone else --- but I want to do my best to keep my kids away from those influences as much as possible --- while realistically knowing that I can't protect them from everything and make all of their choices for them.

I did not say I was perfect, but I am trying the best I can -- same as many people from many different backgrounds are, including from the communities I used to live in.

But yes -- the school politics of southern Collin County are much more in tune with what I believe, than they are in Cedar Hill or Arlington. These politics affect the rules of the school, dress code, other behavior policies, and most importantly -- curriculum and standards. This is not a slam to those in other communities who are fighting the good fight and are staying involved..... for I would agree that they are indeed champions.

Vols4Ever
09-23-2008, 04:58 PM
He won't answer you.

Obama believes in massive wealth redistribution in the form of tax increases on everyone (not just the middle class as he claims), abortion on demand, no restrictions on gay marriage, but restricting gun control, surrendering in Iraq, and negotiating with terrorist states like Iran, North Korea, and Cuba.

In addition, he supports mandated sex education in schools, opposes school choice, and supports pushing the minimum wage up even further. He does not believe that all able bodied Americans should be self-accountable, which is evident in his support for more funding for college grants, expansion of medicare/medicaid, WIC, and Food Stamps -- all of which will be funded by the taxpayer. He ignores the fact that the vast bulk of the federal budget is consumed by entitlements, and walks lock step with the leftist lie that the military budget is bankrupting us. He believes in the continued policy of Affirmative Action (known as Reverse Discrimination) as a means by which to correct the immoral wrongdoing of previous generations, and supports the socialistic ideas of poverty pimps like Al Sharpton. His ties with Marxist personalities like William Ayers go way back, and his belonging to a racist hate-filled church for 20 years under the most despicable excuse for a minister is also an indicator of his inability to make sound judgment in who he listens to and calls 'mentor'.

So there you go.

I share none of his values -- except one --- he is a responsible Dad and husband as far as I can tell. So kudos to him on that.

Vols4Ever
09-23-2008, 05:10 PM
aww, I'm sorry the youth doesn't like your outdated values and your habitual forcing of YOUR moral on everybody else.

Perhaps that's why there is no "true conservative" running for office.

He/She'd get annihilated.

For every 1 person who would vote for the candidate because they are more conservative, I would wager that there are 1.5-2 who would NOT.

but maybe this is just because I'm in college, surrounded by communist hippie professors that encourage promiscuous sex out of wedlock, and I watch the Librul media constantly, and THEY tell me to kill babies and club puppies laughing maniacally listening to rap as loud as i can.

A true to the core Conservative with Reagan's charisma would win in a landslide -- twice --- in a national election -- as proven before. It is, in fact, a hard core liberal campaigning as a hard core liberal that can not win. Obama is campaigning as a centrist now, after campaigning as a hard core liberal in the primaries to win the leftist base of the DNC/Communist party.

Yes -- Marxist leaning college professors are a big reason for the decline of society as a whole -- as well as Godlessness, which you just might espouse as well, at least based upon your signature.

How are both adults and kids are supposed to care about others when we tell them that they are just compilations of dust, blasted out from a 'big bang', and that earth just happened to form in exactly the right spot, at exactly the right time, and that everything is ultimately meaningless because there is no significance to the reason we are here -- no wonder we think killing babies is ok, since we relegated ourselves to the equivalent of other animals...........

I hear the old complaint about my side forcing morality on others, but never hear how your side forces it's immorality and secular humanism on me or my side..... double standards all the way.

Vols4Ever
09-23-2008, 05:18 PM
I think one of the first things you have to do as a conservative is to remove the enter key from your keyboard.

the more mushed up and confusing the text is, the more easily the bull**** is lost in translation, i guess:eek::D

My keyboard is black and white. It's pretty easy to distinguish right and wrong, and the enter button as well. I don't have millions of shades of gray, or moral relevancy to confuse me the way you do.

Of course, your ilk is famous for squelching free speech when it comes from the right, (see IndoctrinateU documentary) so hearing you wish for such things is not surprising.

Vols4Ever
09-23-2008, 05:35 PM
Just a small point, V4E has not lived in Arlington for some time. He has lived in the CHill. Also, if you read his post, he is talking about not going to any Bowie games because of this, not the moving part. That may and probably is part of it, but not the initial point.

I think it would be the same if Dada said he was moving and not going to any games from his old place.

I feel the same way about Bowie, or Cedar Hill games. The same thing at Bowie applies to Cedar Hill. I have very little common ground with my neighbors in High Point either. The same arguments apply.

I wanted to move back into the Bowie attendance zone at one point, but the neighborhoods in the area have no semblance to what it was when I was a kid, and the schools are going down hill quick. I knew a counselor who worked at Starrett Elementary (a Bowie feeder), who talked about the dramatic rise in kids with Oppositionally Defiant Disorder at her school....a direct result of bad parenting, and following the increase in low-income families into the neighborhoods. When the administration of the schools and the majority public walk lock-step with a leftist agenda, things will only get worse.

Cedar Hill saw the same thing happen. Having been to home games at Longhorn Stadium, it is roughly the same, and my feelings are the same as well. My wife grew up there, and saw the same changes there as I saw at Bowie.

pied
09-23-2008, 05:43 PM
Obama believes in massive wealth redistribution in the form of tax increases on everyone (not just the middle class as he claims), abortion on demand, no restrictions on gay marriage, but restricting gun control, surrendering in Iraq, and negotiating with terrorist states like Iran, North Korea, and Cuba.

In addition, he supports mandated sex education in schools, opposes school choice, and supports pushing the minimum wage up even further. He does not believe that all able bodied Americans should be self-accountable, which is evident in his support for more funding for college grants, expansion of medicare/medicaid, WIC, and Food Stamps -- all of which will be funded by the taxpayer. He ignores the fact that the vast bulk of the federal budget is consumed by entitlements, and walks lock step with the leftist lie that the military budget is bankrupting us. He believes in the continued policy of Affirmative Action (known as Reverse Discrimination) as a means by which to correct the immoral wrongdoing of previous generations, and supports the socialistic ideas of poverty pimps like Al Sharpton. His ties with Marxist personalities like William Ayers go way back, and his belonging to a racist hate-filled church for 20 years under the most despicable excuse for a minister is also an indicator of his inability to make sound judgment in who he listens to and calls 'mentor'.

So there you go.

I share none of his values -- except one --- he is a responsible Dad and husband as far as I can tell. So kudos to him on that.

Most of these are not values, but policy positions.

I'll address some of these. How does Obama support, "abortion on demand"? Is that something he has commented on, or just the way you like to phrase his position?

How about "no restrictions on gay marriage"?

In fact here are his words, and reading them leads me more to want to vote for him:

Today, we take up the valuable time of the U.S. Senate with a proposed amendment to our Constitution that has absolutely no chance of passing.

We do this, allegedly, in an attempt to uphold the institution of marriage in this country. We do this despite the fact that for over two hundred years, Americans have been defining and defending marriage on the state and local level without any help from the U.S. Constitution at all.

And yet, we're here anyway because it's an election year - because the party in power has decided that the best way to get voters to the polls is not by talking about Iraq or health care or energy or education, but about a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage that they have no chance of passing.

Now, I realize that for some Americans, this is an important issue. And I should say that personally, I do believe that marriage is between a man and a woman.

But let's be honest. That's not what this debate is about. Not at this time.

This debate is an attempt to break a consensus that is quietly being forged in this country. It's a consensus between Democrats and Republicans, liberals and conservatives, Red States and Blue States, that it's time for new leadership in this country - leadership that will stop dividing us, stop disappointing us, and start addressing the problems facing most Americans.

It's a consensus between a majority of Americans who say, "You know what, maybe some of us are comfortable with gay marriage right now and some of us are not. But most of us do believe that gay couples should be able to visit each other in the hospital and share health care benefits; most of us do believe that they should be treated with dignity and have their privacy respected by the federal government."

And we all know that if this amendment were to pass, it would close the door on much of this - because we know that when similar amendments passed in places like Ohio and Michigan and Utah, domestic partnership benefits were taken away from gay couples.

This is not what the majority of the American people want. And this is not about trying to build consensus in this country; it's not about trying to bring people together.

This is about winning an election. That's why the issue was last raised in July of 2004, and that's why we haven't heard about it again until now. And while this is supposedly a measure that the other party raised to appeal to some of its core supporters, I don't know how happy I'd be if my party only talked about an issue I cared about right around election time - especially if they knew it had no chance of passing.

I agree with most Americans, with Democrats and Republicans, with Vice President Cheney, with over 2,000 religious leaders of all different beliefs, that decisions about marriage, as they always have, should be left to the states.

Today, we should take this amendment only for what it is - a political ploy designed to rally a few supporters and draw the country's attention away from this leadership's past failures and America's future challenges.

There is plenty of work to be done in this country. There are millions without health care and skyrocketing gas prices and children in crumbling schools and thousands of young Americans risking their lives in Iraq.

So don't tell me that this is the best use of our time. Don't tell me that this is what people want to see talked about on TV and in the newspapers all day. We wonder why the American people have such a low opinion of Washington these days. This is why.

We are better than this. And we certainly owe the American people more than this. I know that this amendment will fail, and when it does, I hope we can start discussing issues and offering proposals that will actually improve the lives of most Americans.

http://obama.senate.gov/speech/060605-floor_statement_5/

dragonsdaddy
09-23-2008, 05:51 PM

i will admit, i have forgotten more than you'll likely ever know, about almost anything you can imagine, except maybe the c-rap that is passed off as music these days, and maybe how to create a my space page. i was smarter than all adults at one time too, but i grew out of it as you likely will too. and the world will keep on spinning with or without your evanescent knowledge.

oh, and keep up the grammar lessons. i think it is starting to work.

Vols4Ever
09-23-2008, 06:06 PM
In my opinion, positions are reflective of values, and therefore can be defined as values.

He does not value the sanctity of human life the way I do.
He does not value protecting marriage the way I do.
He does not value school choice the way I do.
He does not value the importance of low taxes the way I do....

etc etc...

He is an absolute liar on the same sex marriage issue -- his wife gave a speech saying they supported same-sex marriage. So which is it?

That is a feel good speech, which tries to take the centrist road. Get real -- the guy is a leftist hack in the mold of Kennedy and Pelosi, only with an even more questionable past.

Sorry -- I am not convinced.

the_phoenix612
09-23-2008, 06:12 PM
A true to the core Conservative with Reagan's charisma would win in a landslide -- twice --- in a national election -- as proven before. It is, in fact, a hard core liberal campaigning as a hard core liberal that can not win. Obama is campaigning as a centrist now, after campaigning as a hard core liberal in the primaries to win the leftist base of the DNC/Communist party.

Yes -- Marxist leaning college professors are a big reason for the decline of society as a whole -- as well as Godlessness, which you just might espouse as well, at least based upon your signature.

How are both adults and kids are supposed to care about others when we tell them that they are just compilations of dust, blasted out from a 'big bang', and that earth just happened to form in exactly the right spot, at exactly the right time, and that everything is ultimately meaningless because there is no significance to the reason we are here -- no wonder we think killing babies is ok, since we relegated ourselves to the equivalent of other animals...........

I hear the old complaint about my side forcing morality on others, but never hear how your side forces it's immorality and secular humanism on me or my side..... double standards all the way.

bull.

where have i told you that you cannot go to church, or that you cannot hold office in 7 states if you believe in god.

fyi, you cannot hold office in 7 states if you "do not believe in a higher power".

look it up.

us forcing things on you, my ***.

pied
09-23-2008, 06:13 PM
In my opinion, positions are reflective of values, and therefore can be defined as values.

He does not value protecting marriage the way I do.
He does not value the importance of low taxes the way I do....

etc etc...

He is an absolute liar on the same sex marriage issue -- his wife gave a speech saying they supported same-sex marriage. So which is it?

That is a feel good speech, which tries to take the centrist road. Get real -- the guy is a leftist hack in the mold of Kennedy and Pelosi, only with an even more questionable past.

His wife said something, so he is an absolute liar?

I wouldn't have brough up the protecting marriage bit if I were a McCain supporter, which until I cast a vote against him I guess I am. Odd stance to take though.

What would you be convinced about? Your mind was made up which way you were voting before you ever knew who Palin was, much less Obama in 2004. Your mind was made up back in '92, when South Arlington was a staunch conservative stronghold.

the_phoenix612
09-23-2008, 06:15 PM

He does not value protecting marriage the way I do. how does allowing people who are in love to marry devalue YOUR marriage?
He does not value the importance of low taxes the way I do....bull****, John McCain wants to raise taxes for more of America than Obama does.

etc etc...

Obama is campaigning as a centrist now, after campaigning as a hard core liberal in the primaries to win the leftist base of the DNC/Communist party.

which is it?

and comments in blue.

Vols4Ever
09-23-2008, 08:02 PM
which is it?

and comments in blue.

The traditional American family has been under assault for years. I once took the position that the states should decide the gay marriage issue -- however I now favor a Constitutional amendment banning it. The gay activists and their friends on the extreme left want to redefine the traditional view of what marriage is -- I believe that is wrong, and whether or not 2 gay people are in love is irrelevant. The majority of Americans do not favor gay marriage.

As far as taxes, John McCain's plan benefits all Americans and crushes Obama's tax increases:

Starting with the lowest:

* John McCain believes we should institute a summer gas tax holiday. Hard-working American families are suffering from higher gasoline prices. John McCain called on Congress to suspend the 18.4 cent federal gas tax and 24.4 cent diesel tax from Memorial Day to Labor Day.

o Reuters: Gas Tax Holiday "Of Most Immediate Effect To Consumers." "Of most immediate effect to consumers was his appeal to the U.S. Congress to suspend the 18.4 cent federal gas tax and 24.4 cent diesel tax from Memorial Day at the end of May to Labor Day in early September." (Steve Holland, "McCain Proposes Tax Cuts And Lashes Democrats," Reuters, 4/15/08)

o USA Today: "A USA TODAY Analysis Showed That McCain's Gas-Tax Proposal Could Save Motorists $6.8 Billion In Taxes During The Summer." (Kathy Kiely, "Gas-Tax Holiday Among McCain's Plans For Economy," USA Today, 4/16/08)

* John McCain will repeal the 54 cents per gallon tax on imported sugar-based ethanol, increasing competition, and lowering prices of gasoline at the pump.

* John McCain will roll back corn-based ethanol mandates, which are contributing to the rising cost of food.

Keep Tax Rates Low: Entrepreneurs are at the heart of American innovation, growth and prosperity. Entrepreneurs create the ultimate job security - a new, better opportunity if your current job goes away. Entrepreneurs should not be taxed into submission. John McCain will keep the top tax rate at 35 percent, maintain the 15 percent rates on dividends and capital gains, and phase-out the Alternative Minimum Tax. Small businesses are the heart of job growth; raising taxes on them hurts every worker.

Cut The Corporate Tax Rate From 35 To 25 Percent: A lower corporate tax rate is essential to keeping good jobs in the United States. America was once a low-tax business environment, but as our trade partners lowered their rates, America failed to keep pace. We now have the second highest corporate tax rate in the world, making America a less attractive place for companies to do business. American workers deserve the chance to make fine products here and sell them around the globe.

Allow First-Year Deduction, Or "Expensing", Of Equipment And Technology Investments: American workers need the finest technologies to compete. Expensing of equipment and technology will provide an immediate boost to capital expenditures and reward investments in cutting-edge technologies.

Establish Permanent Tax Credit Equal To 10 Percent Of Wages Spent On R&D: This reform will simplify the tax code, reward activity in the United States, and make us more competitive with other countries. A permanent credit will provide an incentive to innovate and remove uncertainty. At a time when our companies need to be more competitive, we need to provide a permanent incentive to innovate, and remove the uncertainty now hanging over businesses as they make R&D investment decisions.
Innovation Tax Policy
Ban Internet Taxes: John McCain believes we must make a farsighted, robust, and fervent commitment to innovation and new technologies to sustain our global competitiveness, meet our national security challenges, achieve less costly and more effective health care, reduce dangerous dependence on foreign sources of oil, and raise the quality of education in the United States. John McCain has been a leader in keeping the Internet free of taxes. As President, he will seek a permanent ban on taxes that threaten this engine of economic growth and prosperity.

Ban New Cell Phone Taxes: John McCain understands that the same people that would tax e-mail will tax every text message - and even 911 calls. John McCain will prohibit new cellular telephone taxes.

the_phoenix612
09-23-2008, 08:56 PM
The traditional American family has been under assault for years. I once took the position that the states should decide the gay marriage issue -- however I now favor a Constitutional amendment banning it. The gay activists and their friends on the extreme left want to redefine the traditional view of what marriage is -- I believe that is wrong, and whether or not 2 gay people are in love is irrelevant. The majority of Americans do not favor gay marriage.

As far as taxes, John McCain's plan benefits all Americans and crushes Obama's tax increases:

Starting with the lowest:

* John McCain believes we should institute a summer gas tax holiday. Hard-working American families are suffering from higher gasoline prices. John McCain called on Congress to suspend the 18.4 cent federal gas tax and 24.4 cent diesel tax from Memorial Day to Labor Day.

o Reuters: Gas Tax Holiday "Of Most Immediate Effect To Consumers." "Of most immediate effect to consumers was his appeal to the U.S. Congress to suspend the 18.4 cent federal gas tax and 24.4 cent diesel tax from Memorial Day at the end of May to Labor Day in early September." (Steve Holland, "McCain Proposes Tax Cuts And Lashes Democrats," Reuters, 4/15/08)

o USA Today: "A USA TODAY Analysis Showed That McCain's Gas-Tax Proposal Could Save Motorists $6.8 Billion In Taxes During The Summer." (Kathy Kiely, "Gas-Tax Holiday Among McCain's Plans For Economy," USA Today, 4/16/08)

* John McCain will repeal the 54 cents per gallon tax on imported sugar-based ethanol, increasing competition, and lowering prices of gasoline at the pump.

* John McCain will roll back corn-based ethanol mandates, which are contributing to the rising cost of food.

Keep Tax Rates Low: Entrepreneurs are at the heart of American innovation, growth and prosperity. Entrepreneurs create the ultimate job security - a new, better opportunity if your current job goes away. Entrepreneurs should not be taxed into submission. John McCain will keep the top tax rate at 35 percent, maintain the 15 percent rates on dividends and capital gains, and phase-out the Alternative Minimum Tax. Small businesses are the heart of job growth; raising taxes on them hurts every worker.

Cut The Corporate Tax Rate From 35 To 25 Percent: A lower corporate tax rate is essential to keeping good jobs in the United States. America was once a low-tax business environment, but as our trade partners lowered their rates, America failed to keep pace. We now have the second highest corporate tax rate in the world, making America a less attractive place for companies to do business. American workers deserve the chance to make fine products here and sell them around the globe.

Allow First-Year Deduction, Or "Expensing", Of Equipment And Technology Investments: American workers need the finest technologies to compete. Expensing of equipment and technology will provide an immediate boost to capital expenditures and reward investments in cutting-edge technologies.

Establish Permanent Tax Credit Equal To 10 Percent Of Wages Spent On R&D: This reform will simplify the tax code, reward activity in the United States, and make us more competitive with other countries. A permanent credit will provide an incentive to innovate and remove uncertainty. At a time when our companies need to be more competitive, we need to provide a permanent incentive to innovate, and remove the uncertainty now hanging over businesses as they make R&D investment decisions.
Innovation Tax Policy
Ban Internet Taxes: John McCain believes we must make a farsighted, robust, and fervent commitment to innovation and new technologies to sustain our global competitiveness, meet our national security challenges, achieve less costly and more effective health care, reduce dangerous dependence on foreign sources of oil, and raise the quality of education in the United States. John McCain has been a leader in keeping the Internet free of taxes. As President, he will seek a permanent ban on taxes that threaten this engine of economic growth and prosperity.

Ban New Cell Phone Taxes: John McCain understands that the same people that would tax e-mail will tax every text message - and even 911 calls. John McCain will prohibit new cellular telephone taxes.

ugh, are we really going to start on the gas-tax disaster-idea?

and how is adding another tax credit opportunity going to simplify the tax code?

now, are you going to answer my questions, or are you going to continue to copypasta things from websites without using them to back up your points, instead of the other way around?

HebronHawk
09-24-2008, 07:31 AM
Yep. Just north of the Bush Turnpike. The house is older than me :).

Are you in the Plano West zone or Hebron?

dragonsdaddy
09-24-2008, 09:31 AM
Are you in the Plano West zone or Hebron?

likely in either pesh or good. how many 35 year + homes do you know of in either above addresses? he's probably in the dallas north edition, near where i grew up.

slorch
09-24-2008, 10:00 AM
bull.

where have i told you that you cannot go to church, or that you cannot hold office in 7 states if you believe in god.

fyi, you cannot hold office in 7 states if you "do not believe in a higher power".

look it up.

us forcing things on you, my ***.

In your defense, I agree that you probably did not say those things.

Copying and pasting other people's opinions would be low even for you...

the_phoenix612
09-24-2008, 11:28 AM
In your defense, I agree that you probably did not say those things.

Copying and pasting other people's opinions would be low even for you...

:/

im not sure if i should be angry about that statement or not...:D

svhorns
09-24-2008, 12:28 PM
how did I miss this one... http://www.improvresourcecenter.com/mb/images/smilies/popcorn.gif

HebronHawk
09-24-2008, 09:07 PM
It looks like it is over. ;)

Matthew 2000 Eagle
09-24-2008, 09:55 PM
It's not that I have a problem with going to a Bowie game.... you took that all wrong.

It's that I have a problem with the general environment at the Bowie games. I wont mince words -- but the thug culture, or at least the appearance of it, is the rule there. It is not comfortable for me to bring my family to the games anymore. The same way most in the Bowie crowd would view Robert E. Lee as a racist, I view Malcolm X in the same regard -- yet he is on shirt after shirt.

It's a total combination of the liberalism there now, plus what I believe is detractive behavior that hurts EVERYONE and sets a bad example for children.

It's not that the crowd is black. It's that the crowd has nothing in common with me. If it were white and the behavior and political slant were the same, I would still be upset.

Heck, I would love to be in a conservative majority black community --- but that simply does not exist. If Clarence Thomas and Alan Keyes were the norm at Bowie games, I would not have minded at all. But the Jeremiah Wrights, Ludacris, and Al Sharptons seem to be the majority by a mile. There are a few -- like Dwight McKissic and Darrell Sneed -- but these guys are 'house negros' of course -- according to the left.

Dwight McKissic?? Is that the same Dwight McKissic that played football for Martin, and had a little brother named J.E. McKissic?

jakerz
09-24-2008, 09:57 PM
Vols = dumbest poster on the board

TulsaHale74
09-24-2008, 10:13 PM
Vols = dumbest poster on the boardHow quickly we strip one man's derogatory title to clothe someone else.:confused:

Is Lonny now, as S & C sang "the King of Nothing?"

the_phoenix612
09-24-2008, 10:27 PM
How quickly we strip one man's derogatory title to clothe someone else.:confused:

Is Lonny now, as S & C sang "the King of Nothing?"

there's some fierce competition for the title of dumbest poster...

TulsaHale74
09-24-2008, 10:48 PM
How are you doing?:D

I've had one vote for me today.

Vols4Ever
09-24-2008, 10:55 PM
Dwight McKissic?? Is that the same Dwight McKissic that played football for Martin, and had a little brother named J.E. McKissic?

I think so Matthew.

SaRattlerFan
09-24-2008, 11:00 PM

You got my vote!

the_phoenix612
09-24-2008, 11:19 PM
You got my vote!

I'd vote for you too, but mojo has been pissing me off longer :eek: :ninja: :D

the_phoenix612
09-24-2008, 11:20 PM
You got my vote!

ideologies aside, though, I don't think you're DUMB.

Misguided maybe.

But not DUMB.

There are very few DUMB people on the board.

Vols4Ever
09-24-2008, 11:33 PM
I have done a LOT of thinking about my original post here.

It definitely sounded elitist in it's tone (elitism is something I hate myself - and yet I did it), and I let the political sway affect me way too much. As a staunch believer in conservatism, almost to the point of libertarianism, I admit a certain amount of depression over the fact that I believe Obama will win. But I have been confronted by my own Bible in my fears, for Matthew 6:24-35 says that we should cease from worrying about tomorrow, for each day possesses enough problems on it's own. I believe my concerns about the cultural shifts at the school that I associate with liberalism (not race) plus the imminent election of a far-left of center President, combined to somewhat affect rationality on my case. But ultimately, I had to ask myself -- would these people cast me out as a fan because I think differently than them? The obvious answer was no. Friday nights should be about putting our various differences aside and uniting for to support our favorite team for one common goal -- victory. We can go back to political discussion and disagreement on Monday.

I actually spoke privately with some close friends about this, who while both agreeing and disagreeing with my concerns, also suggested that the WORST thing I can do is to let my desire to be in a 'comfort zone' keep me from attending games I normally would attend. I thought about it, and I am GUILTY as charged of this. I say I care -- but I let things that I can ignore keep me from still participating as a fan of the school/team that I have been the biggest apologist for for 16 years? How short-sighted of me. I appreciate those of you who confronted me in a non-negative tone and made me re-think. Esp you pied (even though we have our differences).

How can I show others my ideas and values if I just pull away completely? So, with that being said -- while I will not be able to make as many games, I will give my best effort to be at as many games as possible and will still be a BHS apologist.

My worry and my fears about the decline of culture in general lead me to lament a lot of the negative things I have seen at the Bowie games. But none of that was on the field -- Kenny Perry does not let those boys get away with anything. I also failed to mention many positive things that I do see. It is only fair to mention these things as well:

1. I see a lot of Black Men, and men of all backgrounds, stepping up to the plate and being dad's --- at the games I see dad's changing diapers, holding children, there with their whole family supporting their kids activities on the field, or simply bringing the family to the game to show unity with the school in their community. Sure -- most of them even are voting for Obama -- but I should not let that affect the fact that there is responsibility going on there -- some of them are probably WAY better dads than I am.

2. I have seen a lot of efforts from the previous principal and the current new one to squarely face the challenges of cultural and demographic shifts in the area, and to confront the lack of parental participation -- and it has made a difference. I would like to see more, but since I am not a parent or a resident there, my input is VERY limited to none. Prayer is the better solution here. Still, Bowie has produced a Rhodes Scholar, a superstar MLB baseball player, several decorated officers and enlisted men, military academy appointees, and Ivy league graduates. Bowie's crime rate, while an outsider would expect to be high, is actually quite comparable to other schools in the AISD with far less socio-economic challenges -- namely 1 school in the far west of the city (not to offend those folks).

3. I do often see kids who raise the banner of righteousness and holiness at the school, as demonstrated by their standing out and not following the crowd on negative behaviors. I should not have suggested that I abandon them either.

4. Finally, I see a coaching staff that has been able to take these young men on, and be more than coaches, but mentors to them. I truly believe that this coaching staff is making a difference in the lives of all the kids, and is probably the closest thing to a father figure that SOME of these boys will ever have -- given the fact that so many dads fail their kids by their lack of involvement emotionally, spiritually, and financially.

As far as my move to the new school district thing goes --- I still feel good about our decision to move north, as the schools available in the new area pose significantly better oppurtunity for my children (although the area itself is not new!).

Dragonsdaddy - you are very close! Just west of Collin Creek Mall is the area.
According to all my paperwork -- it is PSrHS cluster (Shepard, Wilson, Vines area). We are finishing this semester in the Cedar Hill ISD, and it is quite the haul -- thank God for grandparents and sleepovers.

vultar66
09-27-2008, 11:32 PM
Trust me -- I know I wont be back, except for special events -- homecomings occasionally, or by chance, if Bowie plays up here, or Plano plays down there.

My brother moved north too. Soon, the whole family will be gone from the I-20 corridor.

And the white flight continues . Hope you never have a game in G-Town cause the demographics just wont be your cup of tea

ScottS
09-27-2008, 11:46 PM
Jesse rides through the night, under the Main Street light, ridin' slow

This ol' town ain't the same, now nobody knows his name
Times have changed, still he rides

Traffic lights, keepin' time, leading the wild and restless through the night

BDB
09-28-2008, 12:01 AM
And the white flight continues . Hope you never have a game in G-Town cause the demographics just wont be your cup of tea

that's just a myth the liberal media has forced upon you....everyone knows that it's just that minorities who are too scared to move away where they were raised :rolleyes:

^^^ that was an arguement i had with someone (who's race will be held back for this thread).

and if i REEEEEALLY wanted to i could tie the borderwall into this too.

JMSFan
09-28-2008, 12:16 AM
Jesse rides through the night, under the Main Street light, ridin' slow

This ol' town ain't the same, now nobody knows his name
Times have changed, still he rides

Traffic lights, keepin' time, leading the wild and restless through the night

Thats old school !!!! :notworthy