PDA

View Full Version : The top 8 and #9

lonny23
05-26-2005, 07:45 PM
Judson at #9 is like kissing your sister. You're glad to be that high, but disappointed to not be higher. A fair warning is in order. Whoever is ranked #1-8 is on a short list of teams I want to see lose and will feel that way until Judson passes you. It's nothing personal.

I thought I'd use logic for the top 8 teams and you can take the brother's words about 9-25 to figure out which 8 teams are up there.

I think you can definitely say the top 8 contains:

Smithson Valley
Southlake Carroll
Spring Westfield
Katy
Euless Trinity
Copperas Cove

Though nothing in the 9-25 writeups say it, I'll go with Longview and Lufkin for the other 2 spots, but I can see maybe somebody like last year's Cinderella team Clear Lake knocking off Longview.

For argument sake, I'll say:

1 Smithson Valley
2 Southlake Carroll
3 Lufkin
4 Longview
5 Spring Westfield
6 Katy
7 Euless Trinity
8 Copperas Cove

JudsonStud19
05-26-2005, 07:52 PM
Yall cant be serious on that... Judson has got to be higher... I feel sorry for all them teams 1-8... Jus like Lonny said...Judson is going to be the best team in the state this year.. Beside I know that they probably got thier info from Rackley but it is wrong... Hector sobers doesnt play TE... He is a LB.. and Rob Housler isnt 6'4" he is 6'6"... One thing they are right about is Tony Harp... He is the leader of that Team... If you want the true scoop on the Rockets just let me know... Trust me I go there and I play football with these guys and have known them all for close to 7 years now... Besides Rackley isnt even the coach of our LBs anymore. He is coaching our QBs

LP-79
05-26-2005, 07:53 PM
Lonny I agree with you except SLC should be ahead Of Smithson Valley till somebody beats them.

LP-79
05-26-2005, 07:56 PM
Also put Longview ahead of Lufkin. The way all the smaCK HAS been on the East Texas boards Longview has all ready beat Lufkin without the game being played!

ktchamp97
05-26-2005, 07:58 PM
Well, we did get the information directly from the Judson athletic admin staff, but I'm sure things have changed here and there.

Lonny, your logic is near the mark there.

Favpack
05-26-2005, 08:05 PM
Does the Cove have alot of returners? I guess we'll find out. They had a great run last year - but got pulverized by a solid, but not spectacular Cedar Park team in the second or third round.

TexasRed6x
05-26-2005, 08:10 PM
I like to see SV ranked Number 1. It would be nice for them to start there because they won't finish there. They have a good team coming back, but again they will not win the big prize again. The better try and get it this year, because changes are coming in the way of a new school very soon. This team reminds me of Waco, always a bridesmaid, never a bride.

The FACTS are the FACTS and that is a FACT.

wide-e-wide
05-26-2005, 08:11 PM
Also put Longview ahead of Lufkin. The way all the smaCK HAS been on the East Texas boards Longview has all ready beat Lufkin without the game being played!

I totally agree. Maybe everybody should put them at #1...
The only thing better than beating them for the 10th straight
time...would be beating them and knocking them out of the #1 spot,,,
That would be awesome.

KT2000
05-26-2005, 08:12 PM
It says in the preview that Sobers plays some defense. The information came straight from the J Rock coaches office, so that's what we have to go with on that. Heights/weights are never exact, and we definitely prefer the coaches listings on that as opposed to anyone elses (no offense). I believe it's only a couple of weeks old.

I'd be surprised if any dedicated Judson fan didn't think they should be higher in the ranking. It helps to take a step back and look at it objectively. Lonny managed to do that quite nicely. I'm proud of him! Again, the key with pre-season rankings is that they are starting points....not ending points. As always, the rankings will play themselves out over the course of the season.

TexasRed6x
05-26-2005, 08:17 PM
The group missed the boat on Judson being ranked number 9. I think this is based upon history over the last 20 years, just too much respect.. They again will have trouble in the running game, I think the Taylor kid is all of 5' 3" and weighs about 145 lbs. I think the other problem will be lack of talent at the linebacker spot. I have read several times when Judson has not made it to the playoffs it is because of poor linebackers. Judson will be OK but not great, the hour glass has been turned over and you are running out of sand.

JC73
05-26-2005, 08:29 PM
I like to see SV ranked Number 1. It would be nice for them to start there because they won't finish there. They have a good team coming back, but again they will not win the big prize again. The better try and get it this year, because changes are coming in the way of a new school very soon. This team reminds me of Waco, always a bridesmaid, never a bride.

Why do people think this new school is going to hurt SV. This is not going to be typical split the school in half kind of deal. There is enrollment is projected to be where it is now by the time the new school opens. I would hate to see them ranked #1. Last year they were #22. It seems like they have always been underated in the past. I think they like it that way. They could make it to the show again, and probubly out of all the times they have been there, this would probubly be the best overall shot at taking it. They will have to put on one hell of a effort in their own district before they can even think about a return trip to state. But so do a lot of teams. I will have to agree with a earlier poster, until SLC is beaten, I have to give them the nod.

KT2000
05-26-2005, 08:31 PM
TexasRed, you seem like a no-nonsense kinda person so I'll throw this out there...

Judson's average record over the course of the last four years is 11-2. They've won Region 4 in two of those four years, and won state in 2002 of course. 10 starters and a senior-dominated line up take the field following a 13-1 season. How does that not get them in the top 10 in your opinion even though there were key losses?

History does get Judson added respect, but it aint ancient history...it's still being written.

JC73
05-26-2005, 08:32 PM
Not having Judson in the top five really surprises me.

KT2000
05-26-2005, 08:36 PM
Fan- if Judson returned an experienced player in the backfield that would have probably propelled them into the top 5.

The separation between the 1-15 teams is probably the thinnest I've ever seen since we started this site. This is what I like to call an "up for grabs" year. I don't see a clearly defined favorite like 2003 and 2004.

CCDawgs05
05-26-2005, 08:44 PM
Does the Cove have alot of returners? I guess we'll find out. They had a great run last year - but got pulverized by a solid, but not spectacular Cedar Park team in the second or third round.

Ya we have alot of varsity experience coming back....we return a 2-year QB and a 1300 yd. rusher....we lose 2 1st team all-state kids on the oline but return 2 all-district kids....we return the utility back of the year in 13-5a which will play some CB,WR,RB, and KR.....we got two 6'3" kids at the WR position.....defensive wise....we switch to a 3-4.....our 3 lineman all have varsity experience....two of 'em are all-district returners....two of our LBs are returners....we return 2 all state DBs and in my opinion, our secondary is one of the best in the state.....overall, were gonna be pretty good....

Hey Lonny, I betcha cant wait till we have some fun at the DawgPound...huh???? :D :D :D

JudsonStud19
05-26-2005, 08:52 PM
Understood that you guys all got your information from the coaches and that is grand... I just wanted to clear it up. Sobers has never in the countless number of days i attend practice and throw the ball to those tightends played tightend... Robert Housler is 6'6"... He lives about 3 streets over and we have measured him... That is how he got the nickname House... And as far as Kevin Taylor... He actually is around 5'4" so yall are okay there... But has the power of a small truck... Chauncy Campbell like power with Kyle Fox agility... To bad he had a shoulder injury during the offseason which did not allow him to play in the spring game.

KT2000
05-26-2005, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the clarification. That's weird re: Sobers. I wonder why he'd be listed that way on the coaches sheet. Anyway, I think we should get an A for effort at least :D .

JC73
05-26-2005, 09:02 PM
Fan- if Judson returned an experienced player in the backfield that would have probably propelled them into the top 5.

The separation between the 1-15 teams is probably the thinnest I've ever seen since we started this site. This is what I like to call an "up for grabs" year. I don't see a clearly defined favorite like 2003 and 2004.

I agree with you totally, just surprised because of they tradition and overall talent coming back. But you are very correct in saying that any of the top 15 or so could be rearranged. Should be a fun year for a old Texas high school football fan like me.

jrdaniel
05-26-2005, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the respect KT. As champ and I already talked about, I'd see the Rockets a little lower to start the season. In my mind, question marks in the coaching staff are always greater than question marks in respect with players in a system like Judson's. I didn't get to go to the spring game so next fall will be the first I see the Rockets (and the new coaches) since last season. They might be worthy a top 10 preseason ranking, I'd just rather wait and see.

Slim-Rob
05-26-2005, 09:14 PM
Yall cant be serious on that... Judson has got to be higher... I feel sorry for all them teams 1-8... Jus like Lonny said...Judson is going to be the best team in the state this year.. Beside I know that they probably got thier info from Rackley but it is wrong... Hector sobers doesnt play TE... He is a LB.. and Rob Housler isnt 6'4" he is 6'6"... One thing they are right about is Tony Harp... He is the leader of that Team... If you want the true scoop on the Rockets just let me know... Trust me I go there and I play football with these guys and have known them all for close to 7 years now... Besides Rackley isnt even the coach of our LBs anymore. He is coaching our QBs

It's nice to see Judson at number 9 and I'm not going to complain. Seeing Judson ranked better would be nice, but then you would still have people complaning that they should be ranked higher. So no matter how you look at it, someone, somewhere is going to be unhappy.

We will see in December who is ranked good right now, and who isn't.

Texasfrog
05-26-2005, 09:20 PM
ALLEN should have a pretty solid team. They have some solid returners coming back and good underclassmen. Plus, they also have like 200 plus kids in their High School program.

Allen seems to always be knocking on the door. Maybe they are about to push it down this year.

JudsonStud19
05-26-2005, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the clarification. That's weird re: Sobers. I wonder why he'd be listed that way on the coaches sheet. Anyway, I think we should get an A for effort at least :D .
Its all gravey... Sobers is another one of those close friends of mine and we just got done looking at it and he started laughing.... He says it owuld be neet of them to think of the idea of puttin him on Offense... He has been number one on our rhodes test we take evey year sense being moved up his freshmen year during bootcamp... Rhodes is were we take all the stats... The Tangibles... SPEED HEIGHT WEIGHT BENCH SQUAT PWRCLEAN 40 1/4 MILE RUN PRO AGILITY VERTICLE.... He is always the number one followed by another defensive player Anthony Ross

Texas Hammer
05-26-2005, 11:39 PM
Ya we have alot of varsity experience coming back....we return a 2-year QB and a 1300 yd. rusher....we lose 2 1st team all-state kids on the oline but return 2 all-district kids....we return the utility back of the year in 13-5a which will play some CB,WR,RB, and KR.....we got two 6'3" kids at the WR position.....defensive wise....we switch to a 3-4.....our 3 lineman all have varsity experience....two of 'em are all-district returners....two of our LBs are returners....we return 2 all state DBs and in my opinion, our secondary is one of the best in the state.....overall, were gonna be pretty good....

Hey Lonny, I betcha cant wait till we have some fun at the DawgPound...huh???? :D :D :D
I'll be there to watch us give you another loss! :p I missed last year's game because I was still in Kuwait. It's the closest Judson gets to me all year, at least until December!

Texas Hammer
05-26-2005, 11:40 PM
Well, we did get the information directly from the Judson athletic admin staff, but I'm sure things have changed here and there.

Lonny, your logic is near the mark there.
When I listed my teams, the one team out of 10 who might make the 8 was Port Arthur Memorial. You guys just might have them up there and once again, I say the Lobos are the team who goes out if they go in.

Texas Hammer
05-26-2005, 11:42 PM
The group missed the boat on Judson being ranked number 9. I think this is based upon history over the last 20 years, just too much respect.. They again will have trouble in the running game, I think the Taylor kid is all of 5' 3" and weighs about 145 lbs. I think the other problem will be lack of talent at the linebacker spot. I have read several times when Judson has not made it to the playoffs it is because of poor linebackers. Judson will be OK but not great, the hour glass has been turned over and you are running out of sand.

I get a kick out of how this guy pops up bashing Judson after I was doing it as a joke.

Texas Hammer
05-26-2005, 11:46 PM
I agree with you totally, just surprised because of they tradition and overall talent coming back. But you are very correct in saying that any of the top 15 or so could be rearranged. Should be a fun year for a old Texas high school football fan like me.
I can't complain because Judson wasn't ranked at all last year. I had to politick for several weeks before they put Judson in the top 25 and I complained the rest of the year because they stayed behind SLC, Abilene, Longview, and Lufkin!

I'll give them 2 weeks this year. After they beat Cove, I'll start the bandwagon again and they better not beat SV or I'll be calling for #1! :D

BIGrNtx12
05-27-2005, 01:07 AM
With all do respect, they aren't beating Smithson Valley.

JudsonStud19
05-27-2005, 01:33 AM
They may not beat SV in these pre season poles... But In the season with out a doubt in my mind we will show yall again why they call 26-5A one of the toughest districs in the land... And what do you know about them Judson Boys... We got a score to settle after last years Bull Hockey that happend when a bunch of yahoos TAGED our busses... All we have to say is WELCOME TO CONVERSE THIS YEAR BOYS.... We will show you what it means to play Rocket style football... Let the board do the talkin..

wide-e-wide
05-27-2005, 02:01 AM
Hey Lonny...better be careful with the multiple posts.
RedRaider aka the board PO-lice might get onto you about it.

Freddie P.
05-27-2005, 04:37 AM
Taylor Kid??? I went to Judson Red & White game on this past Tuesday. I saw about 6 different running backs, no Taylor. The fullbacks were super fast and ran very well. I asked a couple of fans in the stands, who the backs were, and they pointed out a couple of transfers (military kids) that have just arrived in Judson's program, they were the best backs I saw during Spring Game. Backs that stood out were #30 at FB, #25 at Tail back and #20 @ FB, they were the only backs that had positive yardage on every play, and all three scored. Just came in from MD area, I have never seen a high school with so many good backs as Judson, most teams have one, maybe two stand outs, the other night I saw at least 6-7 backs with great ability. It will be a very hard decision for the Judson coaching staff to pick their starting backs/depth chart, but a good problem a lot of coaches would love to have. Also, funny thing about that game was the best backs in my opinion were sophmores and a freshman. Running back is not their problem. Fastest team on both sides of ball that I have seen in 20 years.

wide-e-wide
05-27-2005, 10:20 AM
Military transfer kids?
They don't have one they call "Sunshine" do they?
If so look out...that kid's gotta arm on him.

lonny23
05-27-2005, 03:47 PM
Taylor Kid??? I went to Judson Red & White game on this past Tuesday. I saw about 6 different running backs, no Taylor. The fullbacks were super fast and ran very well. I asked a couple of fans in the stands, who the backs were, and they pointed out a couple of transfers (military kids) that have just arrived in Judson's program, they were the best backs I saw during Spring Game. Backs that stood out were #30 at FB, #25 at Tail back and #20 @ FB, they were the only backs that had positive yardage on every play, and all three scored. Just came in from MD area, I have never seen a high school with so many good backs as Judson, most teams have one, maybe two stand outs, the other night I saw at least 6-7 backs with great ability. It will be a very hard decision for the Judson coaching staff to pick their starting backs/depth chart, but a good problem a lot of coaches would love to have. Also, funny thing about that game was the best backs in my opinion were sophmores and a freshman. Running back is not their problem. Fastest team on both sides of ball that I have seen in 20 years.
Judson had a lot of speed last year, too. The military schools are a real crapshoot. Sometimes you lose your best players and sometimes you get them. Schools with a heavier Air Force population have been good everywhere I've been stationed. Judson is never lacking for good running backs and the difference for 2005 is that we don't know Fox's replacement before the season starts. We had Fox and Chancy at the same time and knew there wouldn't be a dropoff last year.

If they ever make me the Functional Manager over at AFPC, I'll call the people who want to come to SA and find out if their son plays football. The only way they get the assignment is if he goes to Judson! ;)

JudsonStud19
05-27-2005, 04:53 PM
Yes # 20 James Jordan... Brought way to us by the wondeful country of Germeny... He did have a steller game... He did catch that 65 yard screen pass in the first didnt he..

lonny23
05-27-2005, 07:37 PM
Judson at #9 is like kissing your sister. You're glad to be that high, but disappointed to not be higher. A fair warning is in order. Whoever is ranked #1-8 is on a short list of teams I want to see lose and will feel that way until Judson passes you. It's nothing personal.

I thought I'd use logic for the top 8 teams and you can take the brother's words about 9-25 to figure out which 8 teams are up there.

I think you can definitely say the top 8 contains:

Smithson Valley
Southlake Carroll
Spring Westfield
Katy
Euless Trinity
Copperas Cove

Though nothing in the 9-25 writeups say it, I'll go with Longview and Lufkin for the other 2 spots, but I can see maybe somebody like last year's Cinderella team Clear Lake knocking off Longview.

For argument sake, I'll say:

1 Smithson Valley
2 Southlake Carroll
3 Lufkin
4 Longview
5 Spring Westfield
6 Katy
7 Euless Trinity
8 Copperas Cove
Hey, I got my first prediction right this year. :) Unlike the past, maybe I'll predict more stuff! ;) You know me, I won't quit while I'm ahead.

Freddie P.
05-28-2005, 08:14 AM
Yes # 20 James Jordan... Brought way to us by the wondeful country of Germeny... He did have a steller game... He did catch that 65 yard screen pass in the first didnt he..

I saw that play, QB rolled to right threw back to #20...sweet

Who were # 30 and # 25, I was told they are miltary transfers too, they both looked very good...

Favpack
05-28-2005, 09:59 AM
Not bashing CCove - I just don't view them as an elite, top 10 program. If they have some all world talent coming back or coming up - we'll see. But, I think they'll wind up a step below Judson and Tyler Lee.

CCDawgs05
05-28-2005, 03:30 PM
Not bashing CCove - I just don't view them as an elite, top 10 program. If they have some all world talent coming back or coming up - we'll see. But, I think they'll wind up a step below Judson and Tyler Lee.

Uhh...we do have tons of talent and experience back...just read the thing on us....we have more all-district players returning than anyone in the state....and 13-5a is one of the toughest districts in the state too....

TexasRed6x
05-28-2005, 05:08 PM
KT not really a Rocket basher but I don't think they are worthy of being in the top 20. I realize they have 10 starter back from a good year and nice turnaround. The problems are many as I have read and what I know about these guys.

1. Many changes on the coaching staff. I know Rackley is still the man, but that could be the problem, I never thought of him as a great coach, nice man, but not a great coach.

2. I hear they are changing offenses, that is tough to do in one year could be a problem.

3. If they do not pass any more than they did last year then forget about, enough said on that one, and please don't try and tell me they did not have anyone to throw too.

4. They do not have a quarterback or running back returning. Again I have read "O number 25 and number 32 looked good". I recall all the great Rocket teams in the past you knew names of who would be the next great runner at Judson, I have not hear of any.

5. Linebacker - If they do not have any returner than there is already a problem. I recall a Madison whipping just because they did not have any returning linebackers 2 years ago, again not a good sign.

6. They fail to get all their key people involved in games. I know they have won in the past, because of talent not coaching. We all know that they do have some very talented kids at that school even if you don't like them. Just think if they got more of their talented people involved like SLC.

These are just an opinion, but I think they are big enough concerns to keep them low in the ranking. They had more talent on last years team and they wern't even rated.