PDA

View Full Version : Texas game vs the godless swine may be rescheduled

jtk1519
09-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Because of Ike...

The Longhorn athletic department is keeping a close eye on the path of Hurricane Ike, which could hit the Texas coast about the same time the Arkansas game is scheduled to kick off Saturday afternoon.

“We’re trying to look at all our options,” UT athletics director DeLoss Dodds told the American-Statesman this morning.

Weather conditions will play a factor, as will any mandatory evacuation plans. Dodds said he’d have to consider contingency plans if the state “locks down all our roads and the campus is used for an evacuation spot.”

If the game is postponed, it could be scheduled Sept. 27, when both the Longhorns and Razorbacks have a bye week. But that date presents another set of difficulties since it conflicts with the Austin City Limits Festival, which brings music fans to the city. Hotel rooms could be in short supply, and other travel arrangements undoubtedly would be problematic.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/entries/2008/09/09/ike_may_threate.html

In related news, officials from the University Co-Ops in Austin, San Antonio and Houston are traveling to College Station to learn how not to board up windows.

EagleDude73
09-09-2008, 07:25 PM
Because of Ike...

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/entries/2008/09/09/ike_may_threate.html

In related news, officials from the University Co-Ops in Austin, San Antonio and Houston are traveling to College Station to learn how not to board up windows.

more decisions to be made tonight I guess.

http://sirius.esthost.com/suspended.page/

GoOwls
09-09-2008, 07:48 PM
Because of Ike...

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

the godless swine

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!.......freakin' classic....:D

Firebird
09-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Godless swine? When did UT start scheduling A&M Kingsville?

Seriously, it is the height of dumb to cancel a game in Austin for fear of a hurricane.

GoOwls
09-09-2008, 08:41 PM

Seriously, it is the height of dumb to cancel a game in Austin for fear of a hurricane.

It do sound dumb, don't it.....sissies....:D

BDB
09-09-2008, 08:45 PM
Because of Ike...

http://llnw.content.jibjab.com/content/905b36dd39b89756d596b153c4417e1af028098d

SLC
09-09-2008, 08:46 PM
Because of Ike...

BBWWWAAAAAHHHHAAAAAAA:laugh:laugh

SLC
09-09-2008, 08:48 PM

BBBWWWWWAAAAAAHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAA:l augh:laugh:laugh

jtk1519
09-09-2008, 09:31 PM

I-35 is major evacuation route and many locals in Austin, including many on the UT campus, are designated shelters. So if a major storm strikes the Texas coast within 48 hours of kickoff, it makes perfect sense to keep a crowd of 100,000+ away so as not to clog up those valuable evacuation routes and shelters.

drgnbkr
09-09-2008, 09:36 PM
I-35 is major evacuation route and many locals in Austin, including many on the UT campus, are designated shelters. So if a major storm strikes the Texas coast within 48 hours of kickoff, it makes perfect sense to keep a crowd of 100,000+ away so as not to clog up those valuable evacuation routes and shelters.

I agree, if this thing keeps on the projected path, I-37 out of Corpus, 59 North and I-35 North will be a parking lot. This could really cause problems for the Coastal Bend. We may need prayers by Thursday or Friday.

EagleDude73
09-09-2008, 09:36 PM

It was too hot to stand outside.

jtk1519
09-09-2008, 09:44 PM
I agree, if this thing keeps on the projected path, I-37 out of Corpus, 59 North and I-35 North will be a parking lot. This could really cause problems for the Coastal Bend. We may need prayers by Thursday or Friday.

I-35 is a parking lot anyway. The last thing we need are a bunch of drunks and Satan-worshiping, sister-plowing Arkiesaws inbreds trying to navigate their way to a football game via said parking lot.

stevefoxsc
09-09-2008, 09:52 PM

http://atmhurricane.ytmnd.com/

country club
09-09-2008, 10:39 PM

I totally agree, I remember being snot slingin drunk in The End Zone Club back in 96 against Mizzery, when Hurricane Bevo blew in from the North. Dropped about 8 inches of rain in less than an hour. Nobody melted, lightning was avoided and the game was completed. Ok, Ok, not snot slingin, but a light buzzz, for sure. Besides, me and my posse are drinkin and eatin with Fred Noe on the 27th. Forget about a reschedule.

RocklandDragon
09-09-2008, 11:05 PM
More reason to hate Ar-ky-saw, because the spineless swine Bobby Petrino is now coaching there.

Man, I hope Texas wins this game big if they play.

BDB
09-10-2008, 12:08 AM
I totally agree, I remember being snot slingin drunk in The End Zone Club back in 96 against Mizzery, when Hurricane Bevo blew in from the North. Dropped about 8 inches of rain in less than an hour. Nobody melted, lightning was avoided and the game was completed. Ok, Ok, not snot slingin, but a light buzzz, for sure. Besides, me and my posse are drinkin and eatin with Fred Noe on the 27th. Forget about a reschedule.

forget the people trying to evacuate (i pray im not one of them), if it's a football time, then damnit, there's a football game gonna be played....

BDB
09-10-2008, 12:09 AM
It was too hot to stand outside.

that's even better then the actual reason...

t-long20
09-10-2008, 12:23 AM
I-35 is a parking lot anyway. The last thing we need are a bunch of drunks and Satan-worshiping, sister-plowing Arkiesaws inbreds trying to navigate their way to a football game via said parking lot.

:laugh

slorch
09-10-2008, 04:20 AM

see Baton Rouge on over to Mobile, Al with Gustav. Not only did they get the rain but tornadoes out the :Censor:.

For someone that has lived in the Valley, I can't believe you wrote that. People have to be able to get in and out of Austin and the rain will be a comin if the storm hits at Matagorda Bay.

jtk1519
09-10-2008, 04:46 AM
The last projection I saw put the heart of the storm right over the Austin/San Antonio region Saturday afternoon. No way this game goes on with what is likely to be a tropical storm hanging over the city limits. If the storm continues to project as it is now, I wouldn't be surprised if DeLoss announces the games postponement within the next 24 hours. Maybe the hillbilly chicken-:Censor:ers can use the extra time to develop something resembling a football team.

http://image.weather.com/images/maps/tropical/map_tropprjpath09_ltst_5nhato_enus_600x405.jpg

Firebird
09-10-2008, 08:21 AM

I-35 runs from Laredo to San Antonio to Austin. The closest is gets to the coast is 140 miles, at SA. What kind of moron evacuates Laredo or SA because of a hurricane, except the new breed of panic babies ushered in by Katrina? By the time any hurricane hits SA, it is at most a bad rainstorm. Seriously, people from the valley evacuate TO SA.

Firebird
09-10-2008, 08:22 AM
see Baton Rouge on over to Mobile, Al with Gustav. Not only did they get the rain but tornadoes out the :Censor:.

For someone that has lived in the Valley, I can't believe you wrote that. People have to be able to get in and out of Austin and the rain will be a comin if the storm hits at Matagorda Bay.

Whiny panic babies. No one should evacuate SA or Austin for a storm. Have you looked at a map? Baton Rouge and Mobile are much closer to the coast, than either SA or Austin. Tell me the last time you heard about catastrophic hurricane damage to Austin? The worst that ever happens is bad flash flooding in the hill country near rivers.

Shelters in Austin? Seriously? Who are they sheltering?

pack4life
09-10-2008, 09:06 AM
Whiny panic babies. No one should evacuate SA or Austin for a storm. Have you looked at a map? Baton Rouge and Mobile are much closer to the coast, than either SA or Austin. Tell me the last time you heard about catastrophic hurricane damage to Austin? The worst that ever happens is bad flash flooding in the hill country near rivers.

People that are evacuating from the Gulf Coast. Here in SA we had 400 buses arrive to help evacuate people, with "Hundreds more" on the way.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/weather/Ike_preparation_ramps_up_here.html

slorch
09-10-2008, 09:38 AM

for someone so "smart..." you leave a lot to be desired when it comes to common sense.

Why do you think the Lufkin/ Longview/ Tyler area was jam packed two weekends ago with Gustav folks from La? People want to get out of the path of the storm and they are going to do whatever it takes to keep their families safe, even if it is overkill.

Plenty of folks from Corpus/ Rockport, and even Victoria will be headed north, unless the storm turns today.

i don't know why anyone would prioritize real life before a :Censor:ing football game?????????????????????

Firebird
09-10-2008, 09:39 AM
Zomg Everybody Panic

Matthew 2000 Eagle
09-10-2008, 09:44 AM
that's even better then the actual reason...

It's been 3 years since that happen and, I still don't know the actual reason for doing that. Please inform me!

slorch
09-10-2008, 09:45 AM
Zomg Everybody Panic

firebird= guy on roof waving for help from CNN helicoptor...;)

personally, if the storm turns this way, my wife and kids will go visit family in Salado for the weekend. I'm probably staying here, either way.

Firebird
09-10-2008, 09:47 AM
firebird= guy on roof waving for help from CNN helicoptor...;)

personally, if the storm turns this way, my wife and kids will go visit family in Salado for the weekend. I'm probably staying here, either way.

If you do not live by a river or within the area affected by a storm surge, you will not be on the roof waving for a helicopter.

Matthew 2000 Eagle
09-10-2008, 09:48 AM

:notworthy:laugh

slorch
09-10-2008, 09:51 AM
If you do not live by a river or within the area affected by a storm surge, you will not be on the roof waving for a helicopter.

True, and tornadoes and such are easily outrun with a good moped...;)

BDB
09-10-2008, 10:11 AM
It's been 3 years since that happen and, I still don't know the actual reason for doing that. Please inform me!

there was no where to screw the boards into.....

yup...you're close to the coast and hurricanes happen, and you dont think to make a ledge to protect your windows....aggy logic

Matthew 2000 Eagle
09-10-2008, 10:17 AM
there was no where to screw the boards into.....

yup...you're close to the coast and hurricanes happen, and you dont think to make a ledge to protect your windows....aggy logic

WOW....that's insane!

Firebird
09-10-2008, 04:19 PM
Read on the D2 forum that now TCU is changing their game time, and ACU considering. This nation is going insane with the panic if we are allowing a hurricane to affect football in Dallas and Abilene.

tayb
09-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Read on the D2 forum that now TCU is changing their game time, and ACU considering. This nation is going insane with the panic if we are allowing a hurricane to affect football in Dallas and Abilene.

Ever heard of this thing called wind and rain? It's something special if you have never seen it. The rain comes down hard and makes everything slick and if it comes down long enough it starts to puddle up, called flooding. The wind is like a cool breeze except a lot harder. It blows the football around really hard and sometimes if it is hard enough you can go outside and fly a really big kite.

Firebird
09-10-2008, 05:47 PM
Ever heard of this thing called wind and rain? It's something special if you have never seen it. The rain comes down hard and makes everything slick and if it comes down long enough it starts to puddle up, called flooding. The wind is like a cool breeze except a lot harder. It blows the football around really hard and sometimes if it is hard enough you can go outside and fly a really big kite.

If there was wind and rain, but it didn't have a scary name attached to it, would you still play a football game? (We do every fall across the country).

Lightning should cancel a game, beyond that, play ball. No need to delay until you know what is happening.

tayb
09-10-2008, 05:57 PM
If there was wind and rain, but it didn't have a scary name attached to it, would you still play a football game? (We do every fall across the country).

Lightning should cancel a game, beyond that, play ball. No need to delay until you know what is happening.

If someone told me that there was going to be non-stop pouring rain and 65+ mph winds I would probably go ahead and cancel it.

rdubs7
09-10-2008, 06:06 PM

hahahahaha HOOK 'EM

Firebird
09-10-2008, 06:06 PM
If someone told me that there was going to be non-stop pouring rain and 65+ mph winds I would probably go ahead and cancel it.

Aren't you a soccer fan?

jtk1519
09-10-2008, 06:42 PM
I-35 runs from Laredo to San Antonio to Austin. The closest is gets to the coast is 140 miles, at SA. What kind of moron evacuates Laredo or SA because of a hurricane, except the new breed of panic babies ushered in by Katrina? By the time any hurricane hits SA, it is at most a bad rainstorm. Seriously, people from the valley evacuate TO SA.

Are you serious? The evacuation route for the Corpus Christi area is I-37 to San Antonio and then I-35 North from there. Usually the Frank Erwin Center and Gregory Gym on the UT campus are set up as shelters.

BTW, nobody is talking about evacuating Austin. Surely you're not that dumb. We're talking about keeping the streets and highways as clear as possible for coastal residents who are evacuating and the best way to do that, is to not have 100,000 people watching a football game less than a quarter of a mile from one of the state's primary coastal evacuation routes. This is called common sense.

jtk1519
09-10-2008, 06:44 PM
BTW, the East side upper deck is over 150 feet in the air. It's beyond asinine to ask people to go up there when you are expecting a tropical storm at kickoff.

tayb
09-10-2008, 06:52 PM
Aren't you a soccer fan?

:laugh

About as far from it as possible.

Firebird
09-10-2008, 08:05 PM
Are you serious? The evacuation route for the Corpus Christi area is I-37 to San Antonio and then I-35 North from there. Usually the Frank Erwin Center and Gregory Gym on the UT campus are set up as shelters.

BTW, nobody is talking about evacuating Austin. Surely you're not that dumb. We're talking about keeping the streets and highways as clear as possible for coastal residents who are evacuating and the best way to do that, is to not have 100,000 people watching a football game less than a quarter of a mile from one of the state's primary coastal evacuation routes. This is called common sense.

Why would you keep going once you got to SA?

tayb
09-10-2008, 08:13 PM
Why would you keep going once you got to SA?

The answer to that seems obvious.

Firebird
09-10-2008, 08:22 PM
It should be obvious by now that I'm giving y'all a hard time.....;)

jtk1519
09-10-2008, 08:26 PM
It should be obvious by now that I'm giving y'all a hard time.....;)

Of course. Your efforts are getting better and for that, I am proud of you.

svhorns
09-11-2008, 03:11 AM
So I hear this hurricane is bringing rain... is that true?