PDA

View Full Version : Jarhead

dada
11-07-2005, 12:54 PM
It was.....OK....tried too hard to compare to Full Metal Jacket in the begining, even used a few of the lines. It wasnt a BAD movie....just expected more. My wife didnt get some of the plots and punchlines...I guess you would have to expereince it to catch on.......anyone else see it?

wide-e-wide
11-07-2005, 01:02 PM
After I saw the 30 second preview ...I knew this movie would suck.
Full Metal Jacket nailed it...anything else will fail miserably.

dada
11-07-2005, 01:13 PM
After I saw the 30 second preview ...I knew this movie would suck.
Full Metal Jacket nailed it...anything else will fail miserably.
I think Full Metal Jacket set the bar TOO high.....if I hadnt seen it...I think I would have enjoyed Jarhead more.

ThEgReAtOnE
11-07-2005, 01:22 PM
Jarhead was this generations' version of Full Metal Jacket!

I liked it, and I think the more you see it - in the future - the more you'll like it as well! Full Metal Jacket was controversial, at first, but then exploded as a cult hit! The same will happen here! The only thing is it wasn't as "bloody", but then again, I guess the point of the film was to show how the "Gulf WAR" wasn't as much of a war as it was, or has been, percieved!

Sorry for the spoiler, for those who haven't seen it! (If you want to call that a spoiler!)

dada
11-07-2005, 01:29 PM
Jarhead was this generations' version of Full Metal Jacket!

I liked it, and I think the more you see it - in the future - the more you'll like it as well! Full Metal Jacket was controversial, at first, but then exploded as a cult hit! The same will happen here! The only thing is it wasn't as "bloody", but then again, I guess the point of the film was to show how the "Gulf WAR" wasn't as much of a war as it was, or has been, percieved!

Sorry for the spoiler, for those who haven't seen it! (If you want to call that a spoiler!)
That's what made Full Metal Jacket different....THE WAR...lol

I just expected more...that's all. But then again every guy who has been in the Military critizises(sp) all military movies.

jtk1519
11-07-2005, 02:05 PM
Welcome to the suck.

ThEgReAtOnE
11-07-2005, 02:07 PM
That's what made Full Metal Jacket different....THE WAR...lol

I just expected more...that's all. But then again every guy who has been in the Military critizises(sp) all military movies.

I can agree with that! I criticise all of the football movies! Especially the recent ones like Friday Night Lights, The Program, Varsity Blues and that sports series that was on ESPN. (I forget the title, but I only watched 1 1/2 shows and I lmao!) These films and shows were not that good!

My favorite sports movies are Neccessary Roughness, A League of their Own, Bull Durham (< classic), Field of Dreams, Lucas, Major League, Raging Bull, Rocky (I & II), The Longest Yard (original), Bad New Bears and Miracle. Oh and I would watch the t.v. show "Coach" from time to time!

Anyhow, I think Jarhead will grow into a cult classic!

Drill Sargent: How in the fu** did you end up in the "Core"? [slapping Swoff (Jake) in the back the head]

Swoff: Sir! I got lost on my way to college! Sir!

:D

dada
11-07-2005, 02:15 PM
I can agree with that! I criticise all of the football movies! Especially the recent ones like Friday Night Lights, The Program, Varsity Blues and that sports series that was on ESPN. (I forget the title, but I only watched 1 1/2 shows and I lmao!) These films and shows were not that good!

My favorite sports movies are Neccessary Roughness, A League of their Own, Bull Durham (< classic), Field of Dreams, Lucas, Major League, Raging Bull, Rocky (I & II), The Longest Yard (original), Bad New Bears and Miracle. Oh and I would watch the t.v. show "Coach" from time to time!

Anyhow, I think Jarhead will grow into a cult classic!

Drill Sargent: How in the fu** did you end up in the "Core"? [slapping Swoff (Jake) in the back the head]

Swoff: Sir! I got lost on my way to college! Sir!

:D
"Jody" got a lot of Air time. My girl kept asking me 'Who is JODY?" Kind hard to explain....the part with the guys wife sending him the "Deer Hunter" tape was MESSED UP! And what the hell was Chedder Bob doing in the USMC?

southlake thug
11-07-2005, 02:32 PM
I haven't seen it yet, but I plan to soon. My favorite sports movie has to be Fever Pitch minus Drew Berrymore. Jimmy Fallan is pretty damn funny, and it is about the SOX. Hoosiers will always be a classic though.

dada
11-07-2005, 02:36 PM
I haven't seen it yet, but I plan to soon. My favorite sports movie has to be Fever Pitch minus Drew Berrymore. Jimmy Fallan is pretty damn funny, and it is about the SOX. Hoosiers will always be a classic though.
Funny think is...the ACTUALLY filmed it at the Cardnials-Sox game...lol

southlake thug
11-07-2005, 02:39 PM
Yeah I know. It is pretty ironic how they finally won the series the year they were filming it.

Redneckn
11-07-2005, 02:40 PM
The trailers on TV for Jarhead are what made me decide not to waste my money seeing it at the theatre. I will wait until it comes out on DVD and then pay the complex delinquent to go "pick it up" for me. So that way I'll have it in case I get really bored.
Ok.. really, I'll wait for it to come out on DVD and then rent it and burn my own copy.

ThEgReAtOnE
11-07-2005, 03:00 PM
"Jody" got a lot of Air time. My girl kept asking me 'Who is JODY?" Kind hard to explain....the part with the guys wife sending him the "Deer Hunter" tape was MESSED UP! And what the hell was Chedder Bob doing in the USMC?

Ya...we have lots of crazy football terminology!

Like...

The Leg....if you hear someone called "the leg" that means he's a kicker! The rest of his body is useless, besides his one leg!

Michelle........middle linebacker.
Samantha.....strong-side linebacker.
Wendy..........weak-side linebacker.

Cheerbi***.....a dude that never plays, or sucks, but talks alot of sh**, like he's some kind of a bada**! (i.e.Freddie Mitchell!)

General's Daughter.....a beautiful cheerleader, married chick or an executives' wife/daughter. (You'd be surprised how much infidelity goes on! ;) )

Ballpark.......is the term refered to a first round draft pick. A rookie player who is expensive and hot, at first, but when it comes time to perform usually gets cold....quickly! (It refers to a ballpark frank that costs, like, $5 or 6 bucks...but by the time you get a drink, pay for everything, put the mustard and relish on it and get back to your seat.....it's cold, and ultimately not as good!) Just a phrase to characterize these big-headed first round draft picks who think lifes gonna be a cake-walk, now! Then comes initiation week! :D

Share some of your military lingo, if you will! jody? chedder bob? deer hunter?

dada
11-07-2005, 03:09 PM
Ya...we have lots of crazy football terminology!

Like...

The Leg....if you hear someone called "the leg" that means he's a kicker! The rest of his body is useless, besides his one leg!

Michelle........middle linebacker.
Samantha.....strong-side linebacker.
Wendy..........weak-side linebacker.

Cheerbi***.....a dude that never plays, or sucks, but talks alot of sh**, like he's some kind of a bada**! (i.e.Freddie Mitchell!)

General's Daughter.....a beautiful cheerleader, married chick or an executives' wife/daughter. (You'd be surprised how much infidelity goes on! ;) )

Ballpark.......is the term refered to a first round draft pick. A rookie player who is expensive and hot, at first, but when it comes time to perform usually gets cold....quickly! (It refers to a ballpark frank that costs, like, $5 or 6 bucks...but by the time you get a drink, pay for everything, put the mustard and relish on it and get back to your seat.....it's cold, and ultimately not as good!) Just a phrase to characterize these big-headed first round draft picks who think lifes gonna be a cake-walk, now! Then comes initiation week! :D

Share some of your military lingo, if you will! jody? chedder bob? deer hunter?
Jody...that's the guy keepin your girlfriend warm when you are deployed
Chedder Bob....the guy from 8 mile...played the dumb dude in Jar Head
And Deer Hunter was really a movie...it was just "Taped Over" in Jar head if you know what I mean.

Some of the terms that I remember was :
Newbie---New guy
Turtle(New guy in Korea)..Inprocessing building and Out-processing building at Camp Casey were right next to each other...but took you a year and a half to get from one to the other...so...you were a turtle
Mosquito wings---Private(E-2)
I really cant remember anymore. When I was in basic...the DI's called everyone "Hero"...

ThEgReAtOnE
11-07-2005, 03:24 PM
Jody...that's the guy keepin your girlfriend warm when you are deployed
Chedder Bob....the guy from 8 mile...played the dumb dude in Jar Head
And Deer Hunter was really a movie...it was just "Taped Over" in Jar head if you know what I mean.

Some of the terms that I remember was :
Newbie---New guy
Turtle(New guy in Korea)..Inprocessing building and Out-processing building at Camp Casey were right next to each other...but took you a year and a half to get from one to the other...so...you were a turtle
Mosquito wings---Private(E-2)
I really cant remember anymore. When I was in basic...the DI's called everyone "Hero"...

Ya the guy Chedder Bob, I remember him from 8 Mile.....and saw Jarhead this past weekend, he was the crazy dude, in there! (what a freakin' ugly dude!)

I knew Deer Hunter was a movie...I just thought it was being used as slang for something else!

But I like the "Jody" term! That's freakin' hilarious!