PDA

View Full Version : The "All-Time" Texas Team

Dynastybegan86
08-26-2008, 09:09 AM
Came across this link, what are your thoughts. Impressive list of players.

http://www.txprepsfootball.com/AllTimeTexasTeam.htm

If this has already been discussed, feel free to remove the thread. I haven't seen this here though.

CyFallsMom
08-26-2008, 09:11 AM
Impressive list and Slingin' Sammy Baugh is on their TWICE!! Awesome.

country club
08-26-2008, 09:14 AM
The first sentence says it all. Good post. Let some of the younger guys take a look at Texas HS History.

Plano Wildcat Fan
08-26-2008, 09:24 AM
Is this the greatest HS players in Texas during Highschool or those that grew into great players after Highschool.

NO doubt their are many names that deserve to be on the list but their seems to be numerous players that weren't Great players but developed in College & went onto great pro careers. This is a endless debate with no clear answers.

I don't understand Ray Childress from Pearce HS on the list. Great player no doubt but Pearce didn't even make the playoffs when he was on the team. IMO Billy Ray Smith who graduated 2 years earlier and played in the same district at Plano was a much better player and was all-state junior & senior year while leading Plano to 2 Title appearances and a state championship in 77.

Dynastybegan86
08-26-2008, 09:56 AM
Is this the greatest HS players in Texas during Highschool or those that grew into great players after Highschool.

NO doubt their are many names that deserve to be on the list but their seems to be numerous players that weren't Great players but developed in College & went onto great pro careers. This is a endless debate with no clear answers.

I don't understand Ray Childress from Pearce HS on the list. Great player no doubt but Pearce didn't even make the playoffs when he was on the team. IMO Billy Ray Smith who graduated 2 years earlier and played in the same district at Plano was a much better player and was all-state junior & senior year while leading Plano to 2 Title appearances and a state championship in 77.

They discuss their reasoning in the first couple of paragraphs of the article. Something along the lines of being great a some point in their career, not neccessarily High school.

drgnbkr
08-26-2008, 10:29 AM
Sammy Baugh...51.4 punting average for the 1940 NFL season....:eek: Holy crap! Average....

Favpack
08-26-2008, 10:38 AM
Obviously it's a compilation of greatness in HS, but moving on to near or at HOF status in the NFL.

Otherwise, you have to have Cedric Benson on there - three titles in three years with him being 85% of the offense.

Dynastybegan86
08-26-2008, 10:42 AM
Sammy Baugh...51.4 punting average for the 1940 NFL season....:eek: Holy crap! Average....

Yeah I think their balls were bigger back then. That made it easier to kick!:Music

Magellan
08-26-2008, 11:35 AM

How about Bubba Smith, instead? You know "Kill Bubba, Kill" wasn't just a rumor- people feared someone may die when Bubba was 6-4/275 from 8th grade on... growing into that foaming-at-the-mouth persona.

mojoguy
08-26-2008, 12:11 PM
Two things from my point of view wrong with the list. They could have VERY easily included Joe Bob Bizzell as a DB, and a case could be made for Lloyd Hill to be on the list at WR over his brother. Other than that, that is one heck of a list. I love the linebacking corps they listed.

elkfbfan
08-26-2008, 01:20 PM
Did ya'll know that there is a whole wing dedicated to high school football in the Texas Sports Hall of Fame in Waco? It lists all these players and more. There are exhibits, articles, and paraphenalia from Texas' alltime best players and coaches. I spent an hour just in that wing & would've spent all afternoon, but I had my 9 year old son with me, who was getting restless. It also has a lot of stuff on the old Southwest Conference, and of course, the Dallas Cowboys. Check it out sometime whenever you are in Waco.

Vols4Ever
08-26-2008, 01:59 PM
It's a joke that former South Grand Prairie great BJ Johnson did not make this list as a WR.

Maroondog
08-26-2008, 02:07 PM
You could always argue for other people to be put on the list but this group is pretty impressive.

How about 2 players from my little ole Texas A&I on this list! Javelinas rock!

implacable44
08-26-2008, 02:09 PM
and who would be taken off the list so BJ could be on it? I mean I think Darnell Stephens should be on it too - but who to take off ?

Beaumont_Legend
08-26-2008, 03:02 PM
What happened to Tim Brown, Bubba Smith and Phil Dawson

Firebird
08-26-2008, 04:41 PM
You could always argue for other people to be put on the list but this group is pretty impressive.

How about 2 players from my little ole Texas A&I on this list! Javelinas rock!

Three players from Texas A&I. Upshaw, Darrell Greene, John Randle. IMHO, all three of them obvious choices.

I do think that room could have been made for Alan Faneca on the list. Lamar Consolidated high school.

hollywood
08-26-2008, 08:12 PM
Impressive list and Slingin' Sammy Baugh is on their TWICE!! Awesome.

First AND last

mojotrain
08-26-2008, 08:13 PM

Billy Ray was as good as I've ever seen.

hollywood
08-26-2008, 08:16 PM
Billy Ray was as good as I've ever seen.

And you have seen a few in your time!! :notworthy

I remember seeing Y.A. when he was a pro.

KLH75287
08-26-2008, 09:32 PM
I love the linebacking corps they listed.

No Doubt!

Biggems
08-27-2008, 12:43 AM
No Tom Landry?