PDA

View Full Version : Duncanville star killed in accident

supercentex
05-24-2005, 01:22 PM
Duncanville star killed in accident

May 24, 2005 -- Former Duncanville star defensive back Vernon Grant, a three-year starter at Oklahoma State, was killed in a car accident in Dallas late last night.

According to reports, Grant's car was turning across traffic onto an I-45 onramp when it was rammed broadside by an oncoming car, said Senior Cpl. Donna Hernandez, a Dallas police spokeswoman. The Dallas County medical examiner's office and school officials said Grant died later at a hospital. Hernandez said the other motorist had minor injuries.

Hernandez said no alcohol or drugs were involved in the incident.

"This is a terrible loss for everyone associated with Oklahoma State University and the football family," Gundy said in a statement. "Vernon Grant was a terrific young man who had an infectious smile and a positive approach to everything he did. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family, friends and teammates."

The 22-year old Grant started all 12 games last season and had 67 tackles, two INTs, two sacks, two forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries. He led Oklahoma State with nine tackles in the Alamo Bowl loss to Ohio State.

Grant started seven games as a freshman and finished fifth on the team with 62 tackles. He made eight more starts and played in all 13 of Oklahoma State's games in 2003, finishing second on the team with 89 tackles. An engineering major, he also was a success in the classroom with a 3.25 grade-point average.

Grant was a member of our second-team 'Super Team squad in the 2001 edition of Dave Campbell's Texas Football magazine.

Notably, Grant's death brings the total to seven of Cowboys who finished spring practice in Stillwater gone from the program. Within the past month, Gundy has dismissed six players for disciplinary reasons. For more on the dismissals at OSU, please click to http://texasfootball.com/05coll_0517.html.

(Stories and highlights by TITUS Sports Marketing, which is the content provider to Texasfootball.com.)

concha
05-24-2005, 01:36 PM
Sad. Prayers for his family.

CoppellCowboy57
05-24-2005, 01:49 PM
Such a shame...glad drugs and liqour was involved it makes thing so much more sad..

Mr. Buddy Garrity
05-24-2005, 02:06 PM
Such a shame...glad drugs and liqour was involved it makes thing so much more sad..
You meant to say wasn't involved right? I went to middle school in Port Arthur with Vernon. He was the one that got me involved with football. :(

he was very nice. energetic as well. very talented person.

LPMOM
05-24-2005, 09:30 PM
so sorry to hear this. i will be praying for the family.

CoppellCowboy57
05-25-2005, 02:02 PM
Yeah thats what I ment...my prayers are already going out to him and his family