PDA

View Full Version : Say Goodbye to the Huddle

KT2000
08-12-2008, 01:47 PM
This is a really good article on how offenses can enforce tempo and control a game:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/preview08/columns/story?columnist=maisel_ivan&id=3524989

The King
08-13-2008, 12:01 PM
Katy ran a lot of a modified no-huddle out of their pro/con formation in 1996, usually at the ned of the half to put one more score on. We would huddle when the clock stopped. I think we were able to run 3/4 or more of the offense this way. More often than not it broke the other teams back, when paired with a score in the 1st drive of the second half, then it was clear the bench time.

KT2000
08-13-2008, 12:10 PM
Katy ran a lot of a modified no-huddle out of their pro/con formation in 1996, usually at the ned of the half to put one more score on. We would huddle when the clock stopped. I think we were able to run 3/4 or more of the offense this way. More often than not it broke the other teams back, when paired with a score in the 1st drive of the second half, then it was clear the bench time.

Converse Judson is the only team I've seen execute a hurry up tempo with a primarily running offense. It has been very effective for them over the years. That wears on people over four quarters.

CKE
08-13-2008, 01:21 PM
I dont see SV ever going no huddle as long as Hill is there.It is a major part of controling the clock for his style of play

The King
08-13-2008, 01:33 PM
Converse Judson is the only team I've seen execute a hurry up tempo with a primarily running offense. It has been very effective for them over the years. That wears on people over four quarters.

I was always under the impression at Katy that we didn't do it more, because we didn't want to get out of our gameplan. Nobody seemed to want to run with it, other than as a tempo change (as such it was effective). We were told that before we did it the JV team ran it exclusivly in order to be competitive.

It was really like a clock offense only running, we did it maybe 1 offensive drive a week, and since we would huddle up after a 1st down or incomplete pass it was often unnoticable over the course of the game. It was like we were just doing a live practice to prove we could do it.

We huddled on the 1st play, then usually at the next play do a play action to schroder and score, effectivly running 2 to 4 plays without a huddle.

I haven't seen Katy run it since then, but the system worked well.

KT2000
08-13-2008, 02:07 PM
I haven't seen Katy run it since then, but the system worked well.

It puts a ton of pressure on the defense. It has proven to be very effective with spread offenses as well as the traditional varieties. The article I linked to above does a good job explaining the physical toll it can take and the high level of conditioning require to execute it effectively. It makes it easy to exploit mismatches. These are usually identified pre-snap. Defenses have a hard time just getting lined up right against the spread varieties. The plays come at them so quickly that they aren't able to really process what they are seeing.

Maroondog
08-13-2008, 03:05 PM
No huddle is a definite advantage at least right now as long as the offense doesn't get ahead of itself in the process.
Problem is, once it becomes the weapon of choice, everyone will adapt to it and the game evens itself out. But, it should be fun to watch for a while.

da hawaiian
08-19-2008, 04:20 AM
It's a conundrum that faces all DC at one time or another.

Defensive stemming is one possible response by the defense. But eventually it all comes down to having the horses on defense to counter the personel on the opposing offense.

It certainly does it's job of de-enhansing some of your offensive personell shortfalls when done effectively.

slorch
08-23-2008, 10:19 AM
One only needs to observe the number of "Delay of Game" penalties and near misses the Tech offense has in order to understand that the no-huddle does not neccessarily equal "hurry-up" offense.

The King
08-25-2008, 12:56 PM
One only needs to observe the number of "Delay of Game" penalties and near misses the Tech offense has in order to understand that the no-huddle does not neccessarily equal "hurry-up" offense.

Unless it is executed well it can be a bigger hurt than help.

Favpack
08-25-2008, 03:03 PM
Tommy Tuberville was on with Van Peezy today and had some good points. Auburn went from the West Coast O - averaging about 55 plays a game - but they went to the no huddle spread in their bowl game and ran like 93 plays.

He said the biggest problem they've had in practice is not having guys get totally exhausted. I think that's a difference in college that may not pay dividends long term.

There's something to be said about a 6 minute drive that simply goes begging with the no huddle.

slorch
08-25-2008, 09:06 PM
Unless it is executed well it can be a bigger hurt than help.

I think Tech is pretty decent at it;)

My point was that unless you're snapping the ball consistently with 18-15 seconds left on the play clock, the no-huddle doesn't neccessarily equal "hurry-up."
The OL and WRs also use far less energy while not having to run back and forth for a worthless huddle.

wesaxman34
08-25-2008, 09:56 PM

Haha, very true...I've had my share of fit throwing when Harrell doesn't get the snap in time.

Warbird
08-26-2008, 09:50 PM
Abilene High still huddles up unless it's a hurry-up situation most of the time. We've done pretty well with it.:D

ACM Dad
08-27-2008, 07:18 PM
Consol had wristbands and signaled plays but there was never a hurry up to it. Last year, they went back to the huddle. The wristband thing was flawed in that on a lot of plays it only took one guy not getting the signal correct to cause some issues. Had it been able to be coupled with a hurry up, I think it might have been a tad more effective.

da hawaiian
08-28-2008, 12:50 AM
Consol had wristbands and signaled plays but there was never a hurry up to it. Last year, they went back to the huddle. The wristband thing was flawed in that on a lot of plays it only took one guy not getting the signal correct to cause some issues. Had it been able to be coupled with a hurry up, I think it might have been a tad more effective.

Ahhhhhh

football season must be near ... now that ACM Dad is back

ACM Dad
08-28-2008, 08:40 PM
Miss me big man? :)

The King
08-30-2008, 08:26 PM

A large part depends on how it is transmitted, I don't reall like this method for that reason. We ran this a little at Katy, I don't think more than 4 plays in a game in 1996 the QB was the only guy with the wrist band.

We had all our plays numbered 3 digits he would yell once to the RB's & WR's and once to OL & TE, then the snp was pretty much on next sound.

I think the best thing to do is a combination of the huddle and no huddle, alternating the tempo of the game can be worse than speeding it up. Sometime you want to take clock time away from the other team.

abileneeagles311
11-17-2008, 07:09 PM
i think abilene high could run a hurry up offense next year and the year after that

The King
12-23-2008, 11:54 AM
This is a really good article on how offenses can enforce tempo and control a game:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/preview08/columns/story?columnist=maisel_ivan&id=3524989

This seems ironic in veiw of the last two years of state games.

2007 featured 3 power run teams and an option team that seemed to still use the huddle. This year one of the two champs went to the huddle on every offensive play.

Both games featured low scores. It looks like the spread has been found out, at least by some defenses.

Warbird
12-27-2008, 03:17 AM
i think abilene high could run a hurry up offense next year and the year after that

What makes you say that?