PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Bound for Glory

zippy
11-02-2005, 11:06 PM
This might have been posted before, but I have not seen it lately. Anyway, what do you guys think about this? Not so much about the team itself, but about bringing in people like Butkus, and Crockett (these were former NFL players for you youngsters). This is against UIL rules, and we cant do it in TX.
Personaly I do not think that because you played in the NFL, that you are going to make a good coach, but this past week they brought in several current big time players to assist in the positions in which they play, and to pump the players up. I dont think this is really right. What do you guys think about this show, and the things they do?

Primetime536
11-02-2005, 11:10 PM
This might have been posted before, but I have not seen it lately. Anyway, what do you guys think about this? Not so much about the team itself, but about bringing in people like Butkus, and Crockett (these were former NFL players for you youngsters). This is against UIL rules, and we cant do it in TX.
Personaly I do not think that because you played in the NFL, that you are going to make a good coach, but this past week they brought in several current big time players to assist in the positions in which they play, and to pump the players up. I dont think this is really right. What do you guys think about this show, and the things they do?
thats why they picked a 0-11 team to help

wide-e-wide
11-02-2005, 11:10 PM
I'll be honest...I am a bit disappointed with Butkus..I thought he would go in..and be a hard-*** and really make some things happen. He is really calm most of the time...

The kids on his team have no heart. Always goofing off...no desire...

That one kid..Christian...thinks he is freakin' Barry Sanders...and he would get lit up like a Christmas tree down here in Texas.

I don't know...it's fun to watch..but the level of talent I've seen...looks sub-par.

zippy
11-02-2005, 11:17 PM
I agree, for a guy that would bite your fingers off in a pile (and probably eat them), he has been very calm. I was expecting more. Crockett seems like he would make a good coach however. He is good with the kids, and gets on them for mistakes in a good way. The freshman QB cried after a int. this week, which was odd, and kind of sad to see. I would take him over that other QB anyday even though he is a freshman, and cries. There is only a couple of kids that seem to want to win, that being that LBer and that kid that was screaming at the other player for walking off the field. I guess a population of 6000 would probably be a 3A team here?

I'll be honest...I am a bit disappointed with Butkus..I thought he would go in..and be a hard-*** and really make some things happen. He is really calm most of the time...

The kids on his team have no heart. Always goofing off...no desire...

That one kid..Christian...thinks he is freakin' Barry Sanders...and he would get lit up like a Christmas tree down here in Texas.

I don't know...it's fun to watch..but the level of talent I've seen...looks sub-par.

Butch Fifield
11-02-2005, 11:17 PM
Has Butkus ever coached before? It seems like they should have brought in somebody else that has coached before. Just cuz he was a ****** player back in the day doesn't mean he can coach. I think I first heard of this show last year and it was gonna be Mike Ditka coaching a high school team. I guess they could not get it worked out with Ditka, so they got Butkus. Then again maybe I was just confused.

zippy
11-02-2005, 11:19 PM
I agree with you 100%. As for the Ditka idea, that would have been great. That team would have won every game, and state, whether they wanted to or not if Ditka was there! That or they would have all quit..

Has Butkus ever coached before? It seems like they should have brought in somebody else that has coached before. Just cuz he was a ****** player back in the day doesn't mean he can coach. I think I first heard of this show last year and it was gonna be Mike Ditka coaching a high school team. I guess they could not get it worked out with Ditka, so they got Butkus. Then again maybe I was just confused.

wide-e-wide
11-02-2005, 11:21 PM
The entire state of Pennsylvania vs. Ditka

Dit-ka 77
Penn 2

zippy
11-02-2005, 11:28 PM
I wish I would have never heard this was a possibilty..Now I want to see it happen, somewhere anyway. DIT-ka DIT-ka (what movie was that on?) Do you know what I am talking about? The DIT-ka saying.. :confused:

The entire state of Pennsylvania vs. Ditka

Dit-ka 77
Penn 2

DipnSpit
11-02-2005, 11:38 PM
There is only a couple of kids that seem to want to win, that being that LBer and that kid that was screaming at the other player for walking off the field.

I personally thought that kid was acting... for the cameras, ya know?

wide-e-wide
11-02-2005, 11:43 PM
I wish I would have never heard this was a possibilty..Now I want to see it happen, somewhere anyway. DIT-ka DIT-ka (what movie was that on?) Do you know what I am talking about? The DIT-ka saying.. :confused:

Saturday Night Live...da' Bears!

rowlettoline64
11-03-2005, 12:03 AM
I've caught the beginning of this show (only because it follows the World Series of Poker, lol) and those kids look like garbage. I would like to line them up with any 5A team that went at least .500 this season and see what happens. And to think, if it was a team like ET or SLC, I think the scoreboard would break.

htownfootball
11-03-2005, 12:12 AM
this show is awful. they showed on one episode some football players vandalizing their rival school before the big game etc. why would they show this on tv, the kids are small, they act, the RB christen is a little b**ch and did i say the kids were small??

BigArab
11-03-2005, 12:24 AM
Good idea, crappy result. Kind of like adding a 4th playoff team...

BigArab
Wait....crappy idea, crappy result :D

DipnSpit
this show is awful. they showed on one episode some football players vandalizing their rival school before the big game etc. why would they show this on tv, the kids are small, they act, the RB christen is a little b**ch and did i say the kids were small??

I thought it was pretty ignorant showing them vandalizing their rivals flag.... or maybe ignorant on the players parts for letting the cameras tag along...

caesarscott
11-03-2005, 02:00 AM
btw, their season is already over. they apparently only play 9 games up in Pennsylvannia and it's not clear whether they play to a state title. they seem to have "conferences" and "sections", whatever the hell those mean.

at the link you can see their record from this year and the last 4 or 5. and i too would take my chances against them with even a mediocre team. hell even a halfway decent 4A or 3A team could probably beat them.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/highschool/info/school_view.php?team_id=51

SuperBuffs
11-04-2005, 09:21 AM
but about bringing in people like Butkus, and Crockett (these were former NFL players for you youngsters). This is against UIL rules, and we cant do it in TX.

This is not the first time I have heard of this, Houston Madison was bringing NFL players in to help and motivate kids back in the 1970's. I guess there were no rules against this practice....but Ken Houston, Billy "White Shoes" Johnson and Altie Taylor are players I heard helped the program.

I also heard MLB players helping out too, this had to be the '70's, Madison has not had a decent baseball team since.

Madison was in what I call "TRANSITION" during this time....it was still predominately white, but minority student population was increasing.