PDA

View Full Version : Speed on the Field -- Who has It -

Eagle Hombre
11-02-2005, 12:46 PM
I wanted to get an idea of the speed that will be represented on the field during the playoffs. For example, Baron Batch, the RB for Midland High was in the 100 m finals last year at the state track meet and everyone knows about Jamal Charles and Renfro. What do the current players this year bring as credentials to the playoffs. I'm a big proponent of speed on the footbal field and I know that Batch has it. What do the other teams have?

CoveFan05
11-02-2005, 12:49 PM
Copperas Cove sent a team to the 4X100 relay. Alphonso Powell DB-WR, Rashad Hawk WR and Donald Buckram RB. All 3 start for Cove

Eagle Hombre
11-02-2005, 12:52 PM
Copperas Cove sent a team to the 4X100 relay. Alphonso Powell DB-WR, Rashad Hawk WR and Donald Buckram RB. All 3 start for Cove

What was their time, or better yet did they place? - :D :rolleyes:

Mr. Buddy Garrity
11-02-2005, 01:13 PM
Lufkin has pretty good speed. :eek:

gutbuster
11-02-2005, 01:20 PM
The top ten speed 5A schools in my opinion (in no particular order):

Spring Westfield
Lufkin
Longview
North Shore
Waco
Desoto
Tyler Lee
Waco
Duncanville
Dallas Carter

dada
11-02-2005, 01:24 PM
The top ten speed 5A schools in my opinion (in no particular order):

Spring Westfield
Lufkin
Longview
North Shore
Waco
Desoto
Tyler Lee
Waco
Duncanville
Dallas Carter
You can add Elsik to the "SPEED" list.....too bad speed dosent win games. North Shore and Westfield.....WOW. Eisenhower also.

Black&Gold06
11-02-2005, 01:36 PM
Add Garland to the list. Devin McDowell will probably make some noise in the 200m this year...he has been clocked at 21.35

farmerfan
11-02-2005, 01:41 PM
Add South Grand Prarie to the list. The Warrior team i saw last week was very fast.

Eagle Hombre
11-02-2005, 01:43 PM
Add Garland to the list. Devin McDowell will probably make some noise in the 200m this year...he has been clocked at 21.35

What's his # and position?

PurpleNation
11-02-2005, 02:25 PM

Sorry but my boy Shankle has the 200m dash on lock he finished 2nd in State last year.

SLCDad
11-02-2005, 02:51 PM
SLC's Renfro (110 high hurdles) and Jacobson (220M) both placed at state on the track. 6'-1" soph beast in the making Tre Newton is the 3rd fastest player on the team.

AZTiger
11-02-2005, 02:58 PM
SLC's Renfro (110 high hurdles) and Jacobson (220M) both placed at state on the track. 6'-1" soph beast in the making Tre Newton is the 3rd fastest player on the team.

ha ha, 220 :)

old man ;)

My dad used to always tell people I ran "the 440"

SLCDad
11-02-2005, 03:36 PM
ha ha, 220 :)

old man ;)

My dad used to always tell people I ran "the 440"You are right . . . and we like it that way!! The 220M should be 220 Yards or 200M.

PackAttack2005
11-02-2005, 04:14 PM
Lufkin has great overall team speed. For an example, the slowest players on the defense are 4.7 40 defensive tackles.

KT2000
11-02-2005, 04:40 PM
Lufkin is the only program I've heard of to actually train its football players with those parachutes that sprinters use.

So, when those Panthers are turned loose from those things in the fall...well, I guess that's why they call it PACK attack.

CCHS77
11-02-2005, 04:49 PM

While Clint runs the 110M hurdles (and runs them well) his apperance at two consecutive state meets has been in the 300M hurdles.

Redneckn
11-02-2005, 05:49 PM
WOW!!! A new record. A thread about how good a team is on the field and it has been 16 posts with no real mention of Longview.. And no Longview fans ringing their own bell either.. I'm shocked.

Big Daddy Cool
11-02-2005, 05:58 PM
Lufkin has great overall team speed. For an example, the slowest players on the defense are 4.7 40 defensive tackles.

Don't know the exact times but that's the same way North Shore's defense is. I don't know what kind of numbers any of our players but up on the track, but when it comes to football speed we have lots of it.

GarlandOwl06
11-02-2005, 05:59 PM
What's his # and position?
He is #6 and plays DB/RB. He runs a 4.3 40.

CoveFan05
11-02-2005, 06:00 PM
What was their time, or better yet did they place? - :D :rolleyes:

They had a botched handoff. But all 3 athletes run lower than 4.4. The other 1/4 of the team was Diante Farley a DB from last years team

CCHS77
11-02-2005, 06:25 PM

Texas track shows your 4X100 as the 2nd fastest team out of your district (thus going to Regional), but didn't make it any further. Your post implies a state appearance.

CoveFan05
11-02-2005, 06:33 PM
Texas track shows your 4X100 as the 2nd fastest team out of your district (thus going to Regional), but didn't make it any further. Your post implies a state appearance.

Well your looking wrong then

CoveFan05
11-02-2005, 06:34 PM
No our team went for the 4x200...I stand corrected...we lost in regionals in the 4x100...Buckram ran in the 100's also...

CCHS77
11-02-2005, 06:37 PM
Well your looking wrong then

YOU had me looking in the wrong place.

StormingCowboy
11-02-2005, 06:54 PM
OK this is 3/4 of Carter's secondary last spring:
Carter- 4X100:40.82 5/14/05 State Meet, Austin
4x200 1:25.41 5/14/05 State Meet, Austin

Slim-Rob
11-02-2005, 07:18 PM
The title of this is "Speed on the Field." Speed on the field and speed on the track are 2 different things. People who run fast on the track normally run fast on the field, but there are those that don't. And I don't know how you can make a speed thread without Converse Judson. Just because we are 5-4 doesn't mean we don't have speed. DB Rendez James runs track, but I'm not sure what. There are a lot of people on the team that also run track, but I don't know who all for sure. DB Tony Harp is also fast.

BigArab
11-02-2005, 07:25 PM
WOW!!! A new record. A thread about how good a team is on the field and it has been 16 posts with no real mention of Longview.. And no Longview fans ringing their own bell either.. I'm shocked.

Your hatred of Longview grows....and I'm loving every minute of it.

zippy
11-02-2005, 07:28 PM
The QB and RB at Madison, and I think one other football player place very high at state in the mile relay I think. I do know that the QB is not just fast, but has the stamina to run, and run, and run, and run.........

ruffshod
11-02-2005, 07:50 PM
The title of this is "Speed on the Field." Speed on the field and speed on the track are 2 different things. People who run fast on the track normally run fast on the field, but there are those that don't. And I don't know how you can make a speed thread without Converse Judson. Just because we are 5-4 doesn't mean we don't have speed. DB Rendez James runs track, but I'm not sure what. There are a lot of people on the team that also run track, but I don't know who all for sure. DB Tony Harp is also fast.

I didn't see much of that speed last year when they played Westfield. QB, RBs and everyone else looked real slow. Maybe things have improved this year. We will see.

Redneckn
11-02-2005, 08:32 PM
Your hatred of Longview grows....and I'm loving every minute of it.

BA.. I don't hate Longview...I like Longview, it's a pleasant little town. I have even been to Jucy's to eat...
I just like yanking y'all chains up there..

Slim-Rob
11-02-2005, 08:42 PM
I didn't see much of that speed last year when they played Westfield. QB, RBs and everyone else looked real slow. Maybe things have improved this year. We will see.

Last year our QB was VERY slow. Kyle Fox was fast and if you watched the whole game you saw him pull away from Westfield defenders on a few plays. Brandon Williams was very fast also, but he played mostly DB.

Madison DOES have fast people. Caflish(Caflisch?) was fast and Tony Green seemed fast but our defense was all over him all day.

BigArab
11-02-2005, 09:37 PM
BA.. I don't hate Longview...I like Longview, it's a pleasant little town. I have even been to Jucy's to eat...
I just like yanking y'all chains up there..

You had to remind me....oh how I miss Jucys, Pizza King, Butcher Shoppe, etc. etc.....

Redneckn
11-02-2005, 11:47 PM
You had to remind me....oh how I miss Jucys, Pizza King, Butcher Shoppe, etc. etc.....

I guess I didn't realize you weren't in Longview... We were over there working a couple of years back and my old boss was telling me, as soon as we get this gate hung, we are going to Jucy's... on and on and on and on we had to hear about it...We got the gate hung and went there...GAWD!!! That was really some good eat'n there... They rival the Woodlawn General Store (between Marshall and Jefferson) and the Fina station in Uncertain.
I've only eaten @ Jucy's twice, but that's sure good burgers...
*glad I'm going home this weekend.. FOOD*

BA, since you're posting here.. Tell us about how fast the boys in Longview are?

BigArab
11-03-2005, 12:19 AM
Pretty darn fast. I'd say the overall average speed of all the starters is 4.7 or better. The slowest is probably Trent, the OL with a 5.3.

Carlin- Sub 4.6
Vondrell- 4.37 (established)
Chris Ivory- 4.34 (supposedly at OSU camp)
David Robinson (4.5 or better)
Adrian Reese- 4.7
O Linemen- no idea. I heard Gordon Booker is pretty fleet of foot. But I'd say pulling speed and 40 speed are two different things. I don't care if the guy runs a 5.4, when someone that big with good footwork kicks out, get out of the way.

Cody Williams- 4.7 or better
T.J. Norris - 4.6
Damien Sadler- 4.7
Ben Huddleston- 4.8
Tony Johnson- 4.6
Kelcie Oliver- 4.5
Cartez Beall- 4.5
Calvin Jackson- 4.5
Laderrick Satterwhite- 4.5
Jarvis Pippins- sub 4.4 (the guy is blazin)

That is about all I can think of. Let me average that. I'll give the O-linemen an average of 5.2. Some of them are smaller, and subsequently quicker.

4.63 (missing a lot of times) You get the picture.

CCBoy
11-03-2005, 06:50 AM
We always hear that track and football speed is different in which it is, but if you have a large number of guys that run low 10's in the 100m, 9 times out of 10, you have yourself some fast football players as well. I know that speed doesn't mean championship all alone, but it's great having it and it can get you to one if it is mixed in with other good elements.

BigArab
11-03-2005, 07:24 AM
We always hear that track and football speed is different in which it is, but if you have a large number of guys that run low 10's in the 100m, 9 times out of 10, you have yourself some fast football players as well. I know that speed doesn't mean championship all alone, but it's great having it and it can get you to one if it is mixed in with other good elements.

and Track speed and Football speed are very different. Longview had a DT named Kendal Peoples who was a terror to offensive lineman, but didn't run a blazing 40 time. This 6'2" 250+ guy went on to take the silver medal in the 100m dash at district with a time of 11 seconds, but also was known to run as fast as a 10.7. He was on the 800 m relay team that went to state.

CCBoy
11-03-2005, 07:39 AM
and Track speed and Football speed are very different. Longview had a DT named Kendal Peoples who was a terror to offensive lineman, but didn't run a blazing 40 time. This 6'2" 250+ guy went on to take the silver medal in the 100m dash at district with a time of 11 seconds, but also was known to run as fast as a 10.7. He was on the 800 m relay team that went to state.
I can understand with that example because he played on the line, but on the football field he probably uses more strenth and only limited between 10 to 15 yards in most cases. On the other hand the guys in the secondary or even receivers can play the entire field any where up to 99 yards at a sprint. It is not the case with everyone, but in most cases, fast is fast. Look at teams that do well in track. Your Longview Lobos and my Carter Cowboys, for example, always make state appearances in track (not just one individual) and both have pretty speedy football teams year in and year out.

BigArab
11-03-2005, 07:41 AM
I can understand with that example because he played on the line, but on the football field he probably uses more strenth and only limited between 10 to 15 yards in most cases. On the other hand the guys in the secondary or even receivers can play the entire field any where up to 99 yards at a sprint. It is not the case with everyone, but in most cases, fast is fast. Look at teams that do well in track. Your Longview Lobos and my Carter Cowboys, for example, always make state appearances in track (not just one individual) and both have pretty speedy football teams year in and year out.

Carter always has flat out crazy-fast sprinters at state every year. Seems like every now and then, I'll see national times, and Carter always has a guy who is first in the nation in 100m or 400m dash.

lonny24
11-03-2005, 07:48 AM
I think you can only talk about the teams you have seen, so my Top 5...
IN ORDER...
Westfield
North Shore
Lufkin
Irving McArthur
Longview

CCBoy
11-03-2005, 07:49 AM
Carter always has flat out crazy-fast sprinters at state every year. Seems like every now and then, I'll see national times, and Carter always has a guy who is first in the nation in 100m or 400m dash.
I go to the big Longview meet every year and it is one of the most competative meets. I will be there again this year. You guys have had some nice sprinters as well. I think it's good for football with these guys doing both sports. Good luck this post season and I hope our teams can meet and beat each other up.

SLCDad
11-03-2005, 09:37 AM
SLC has a couple of very good girls cross country runners. We tried to get them on the roster but at less than 90 pounds each, they weren't strong enough to stand while wearing shoulder pads and a helmet.

CCBoy
11-03-2005, 09:52 AM
SLC has a couple of very good girls cross country runners. We tried to get them on the roster but at less than 90 pounds each, they weren't strong enough to stand while wearing shoulder pads and a helmet.
They should wear the old school uniform with the leather helmets and then I'll bet they fair well. Just provide a little blocking and they'll be fine.