PDA

View Full Version : Panthers Spring Game

pack98
05-21-2005, 06:00 AM
Well I am about back to Hawaii after 6 moths over seas and a stop in Lovely Australia. any updates on how the Lufkin Panthers spring game was?

I know that they will be ready and I am ready to get home to watch a few games and BBQ at my home in SanDiego and listen to panther games over the NET.

LETS GO PANTHERS

GO HORNS!!!

PackAttack2005
05-21-2005, 08:01 AM
Pack98, I found this on the Panther website about their spring game. Good to have you back home in the good ol' US of A.
Here is the article I found:

www.lufkinpanthersports.com

This was only a scrimmage, lots of kids got to play, but I witnessed lots of potential for next season tonight and feel confident we will be a contending team again in 2005.

Here are some of my observations.

My first impressions last night were not the best, but I feel with some 7 on 7 work together in the off season, the combinations of Claybon to Bryant/Thomas/Shankle/Gordon/Raines will be tough for our opponents to deal with next season.

Our defense will definately be one of the top units in the State, they have lots of depth and should be strong equally against the pass or run....speed kills and they have it all over the field.

The O-line will be okay, they have some good size and talent there that needs to be developed and come together as a unit. They have no better coach than Tommy Early to get that done, he has done it year after year. The zone block reads will get better on the line and I know we will have a cohesive unit onbaord by the time we get to next season.

Also remember, Max Taylor was out with a foot injury and he is projected to be a starter next year on the OL.

The running game. Much has been said about the running game, Jorvorskie is gone, what do we do now?
Well, this offense will be different for sure without Mr. Lane-Train, but the coaches will adapt this team to fit the talent we have next year and what you will see is a speed offense. Speed backs Clifton Kibble, Raphael Nicholas and JaCorey Turner will give the Pack offense a new look in the back field and should be able to do a good job in carrying the brunt of the running game. Kibble showed his tough running style several times last night at the scrimmage.

Kicking, what can I say. Jamie Fernandez is one of the top kickers in the state, that is all I need to say. His kickoffs were booming last night and he kicked a 42 yard FG. Marshall White kicked an extra point as the back up kicker, he will do a good job.

The success of this team in 2005 will hinge on how quickley this young offensive is able to step up to the task, time will tell. The defense is solid and will probably need to carry the load early until the O unit can put things together and find leadership.

Overall, we are going to have another solid team on our hands and they will be an exciting bunch to watch in 2005. We have an incredible coaching staff in Lufkin and lots of talented kids, this combination is a nice thing to have if your a Lufkin Panther fan, I don't think our opponents will feel the same way.

LP Sports

KT2000
05-21-2005, 12:52 PM
The rusty passing game doesn't surprise me. It usually takes a good while to get that timing down, especially when you're breaking in a new QB. Also, it's not like they were going against a bad defense either. You'll obviously get a much stronger evaluation of the unit when they go against someone other than themselves. Unfortunately, we've got to wait another few months for that.

One last thing, I was under the impression Shankle was going to be the go-to guy at RB, but from what you said it looks like he's a receiver now. I'm sure he'll get a few touches from the backfield with his open field ability and maybe be the Lufkin version of Reggie Bush.

PackAttack2005
05-21-2005, 09:23 PM
E.J. may run from the backfield in certain offensive sets next year, but he will be used mostly out of the slot WR position. His speed is his asset as a receiver, he doesn't have the RB instincts or durability to be full time in the backfield.

eagleike
05-22-2005, 09:30 AM
Pack fans:

Ya'll take it easy on old ike this year. We're down right now so don't kick the eagle when they are on the ground.

wide-e-wide
05-22-2005, 03:33 PM
Eagle = football with feathers

Kick 'em Pack!!!!

Mr. Buddy Garrity
05-23-2005, 07:34 AM
Eagle = football with feathers

Kick 'em Pack!!!!
OMG! LOL! yep. you said best. :D