PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Old Friend....thanks for the memories

wide-e-wide
11-01-2005, 08:13 PM
For the first time since 1968...Astroworld closed down for the winter....and will not open back up.

I read about that....and I honestly got that bad feeling...you know the feeling you get when you first find out someone special has died....yeah that one.

I know it's corny...but I have a lot of great memories of that place.

Thought it would be cool to start a thread and let everyone share an Astroworld story...
I'll add mine later.

lonny23
11-01-2005, 08:47 PM
For the first time since 1968...Astroworld closed down for the winter....and will not open back up.

I read about that....and I honestly got that bad feeling...you know the feeling you get when you first find out someone special has died....yeah that one.

Thought it would be cool to start a thread and let everyone share an Astroworld story...
I'll add mine later.
I only went once, but that's a shame that it's no longer open. The Six Flags parks are my favorites. I read something several months back about Six Flags' financial situation and I thought they were going to make changes. I guess this is change #1.

dragons08
11-01-2005, 09:13 PM
speaking of six flags when i heard about this i thought wtf? their prices are so expensive, and their losing money???

cougardude
11-01-2005, 09:46 PM
I liked all the rollercoasters that Astroworld had. They were the best!

Lufkin_Class_Of_08
11-01-2005, 10:11 PM
my moms high school job was at astroworld...she scanned items before they went on shelves so if we ever went she just showed her old id (even though she stopped working in 1978) and we got in for almost half off...this summer was the first time i didnt go to astroworld in a long time...its sad to see it go...ive got a lot of memories...ill always remember going to astroworld in the day and about 630 walking back over to the dome and catching a stros game...now all there is to do is go to texans games and let me tell you until the texans are good again that part of town will suck without astroworld

dada
11-02-2005, 02:44 PM

I'll add mine later.
Ahhhhh the memories....the Fresh Fest concerts...me meeting Lisa Lisa.
My Regrets are that I never rode the Cyclone and I took my son when he was too young to remember it.

dragons08
11-02-2005, 08:37 PM
wide wheres your story?

wide-e-wide
11-02-2005, 08:50 PM
Man ...there are so many...

I just remember being a little kid and going there with my family.
I remember standing in line for like 2 hours with my sister to ride "Greased Lightning" and being scared to death.

My Dad would always make us go watch the little theatre productions...remember those? You go inside the theatre and they would have like a "wild west" show...or a laser show...he loved that kind of stuff.

I always loved the "Bamboo" ride...through the water...and the other water ride...thunder mountain? thunder...something ?...It was awesome when it first came out.

aahhhhh....too many to name

The night was always capped off with an Astros game...I saw Nolan pitch 4 or 5 different times...My Dad would always try to time it just right...so we would be there the nights he pitched. When I was 10 I talked to Chili Davis during batting practice...I was blown away...that was so cool. I saw a bunch of good pitchers...Doc Gooden...Orel Hershiser...Fernando Valenzuela...

I sit here thinking back to those days....and I am almost there....
I can smell the popcorn...
I can feel how hot is was...
I can see all the people...
I can hear the kids yelling on the "Texas Cyclone"

It is just really sad...a big part of my childhood is now gone.

I didn't know it was closing for good...or I would have made a trip with the family this past summer.

For some reason...it just really shook me up when I heard the news that it was being torn down.

dragons08
11-02-2005, 09:06 PM
sounds like fun man! what are they going to do with all the stuff??? just take it a part?????

CLFalcon2006
11-02-2005, 10:34 PM
There moving most of the rides to other parks from what I hear. I coul really care less what they do with most of the new stuff but Texas Cyclone has to be moved to San Antonio along with Greased Lightning and the Bamboo Shoot. I loved those rides more than anything, and as long as they exsist i will be happy. They can take the Mayan mind bender out to the curb, that was always a piece of crap .