PDA

View Full Version : MREs (Meals Ready to Ebay)

mad_fan
10-29-2005, 06:48 PM
WTF? Has anybody else seen this? Dept of Homeland Security and FBI looking into Ebay sales of MREs from LA to FL... Govt distirbuted them FREE to hurricane victims.

"The Pentagon pays $86.98 for a case of MREs, or about $7.25 per meal, Klein said. The Web site for a chain of Army-Navy stories in the Washington area listed a case of 12 MREs for $96." Associated Press.

"Representatives for eBay, the online auctioneer company, say it is impossible to prove that any of the meals were meant for hurricane victims. They note that MREs can be bought in camping stores and Army-Navy surplus outlets." AP

But at least some of the MREs advertised on the Web site are being sold from Louisiana, Mississippi, Florida and other Gulf states, and are individually packaged with a disclaimer that clearly notes: "U.S. Government property - Commercial resale is unlawful." AP

If this is true these people should be locked up!

dragons08
10-29-2005, 10:06 PM
so people are selling food on ebay?

wide-e-wide
10-29-2005, 10:12 PM
Why in the world would anybody buy MRE's to begin with?
I didn't want them when they were free...

LoneRocket
10-29-2005, 10:20 PM
--

Reaganrattler07
10-29-2005, 10:20 PM

I actually have to agree with that.....if you have a choice between MREs and regular food....take regular food.

mad_fan
10-29-2005, 10:25 PM
If it is true, it could be some one from maybe FEMA, Homeland Security, or the military in the disaster area think about it where are you going to get your hands on that in bulk and you have to have access to a computer/internet whenever you need it. You also have to have access to a bank account to either deposit or wire the funds to. I think it would be very hard (almost impossible) for an evacuee to run an operation like that.

No, FEMA handed the stuff out...go look on ebay...people are using their own names, bank accounts, etc...it's not the kennedy assassination or ufo's

dragons08
10-29-2005, 10:25 PM
wahts an MRE though, can somebody please explain to us stupid ones

mad_fan
10-29-2005, 10:26 PM

The point is WE paid for them...for hurricane victims. :(

wide-e-wide
10-29-2005, 10:27 PM
I actually have to agree with that.....if you have a choice between MREs and regular food....take regular food.

Exactly...if I am gonna drop $7.25 on a meal..it damn sure ain't gonna be a MRE...
I will go to Burger King and you can have the pork 'n beans bro.

mad_fan
10-29-2005, 10:29 PM
Exactly...if I am gonna drop $7.25 on a meal..it damn sure ain't gonna be a MRE...
I will go to Burger King and you can have the pork 'n beans bro.

That's what the government pays for them...less on e-bay...

LoneRocket
10-29-2005, 10:29 PM
--

mad_fan
10-29-2005, 10:33 PM
If you lost everything how are you going to round up all of the electronic equipment to use ebay and have access to MRE's in bulk? You have to have help.

You're probably not still living on the street. :eek: In-laws? A laptop? The library? Internet Cafe?

dragons08
10-29-2005, 10:34 PM
so is it just crappy food? like in those trucks that drive around honking selling mexican food to workers???

garlandowl08
10-29-2005, 10:35 PM

MRE=Meal Ready to Eat=relatively gross.

Reaganrattler07
10-29-2005, 10:35 PM
so is it just crappy food? like in those trucks that drive around honking selling mexican food to workers???

They're called meals ready to eat.

There basically dry food and you "just add water"....basically.

mad_fan
10-29-2005, 10:36 PM

Not exactly, Meals-Ready-to-Eat are vacuum sealed food with like 10,000(?) carbs in a meals. Survival food.

dragons08
10-29-2005, 10:37 PM
ahh i got you so, just really crappy food

garlandowl08
10-29-2005, 10:37 PM
They are used in combat like at the front lines when there isnt time/room for mess halls/tents...they are also used for idsasters because they can be dropped from choppers in bulk if need be, or crated in on trucks without need for refrigeration.

mad_fan
10-29-2005, 10:38 PM
I ate 'em in Saudi Arabia...because I didnt care for the dog.... :D

Reaganrattler07
10-29-2005, 10:39 PM
They are used in combat like at the front lines when there isnt time/room for mess halls/tents...they are also used for idsasters because they can be dropped from choppers in bulk if need be, or crated in on trucks without need for refrigeration.

Yeah....we were in an exercise a while back and i had the unfortunate luxury to eat them....

mad_fan
10-29-2005, 10:40 PM
ahh i got you so, just really crappy food

Far better than what our fathers had.

dragons08
10-29-2005, 10:42 PM
Yeah....we were in an exercise a while back and i had the unfortunate luxury to eat them....
an exercise? such as what

Reaganrattler07
10-29-2005, 10:48 PM

Something for the military.....

mad_fan
10-30-2005, 07:07 AM
and? dont tell me...it's classified double super secret and if you told us, you'd have to kill us. Right? :p

dragons08
10-30-2005, 09:23 AM
and? dont tell me...it's classified double super secret and if you told us, you'd have to kill us. Right? :p
its triple super secret, and hed have to kill us bring us back to life and kill you again

lonny23
10-30-2005, 12:32 PM
They also advertise that they sell crap, urine, and gas! Hey, I've seen it myself and that's why I said it. If you don't believe me, type in a search and something will come up.

dragons08
10-30-2005, 12:34 PM
They also advertise that they sell crap, urine, and gas! Hey, I've seen it myself and that's why I said it. If you don't believe me, type in a search and something will come up.
i produce enough urine and crap for myself! why buy more?? :p

lonny23
10-30-2005, 12:37 PM
WTF? Has anybody else seen this? Dept of Homeland Security and FBI looking into Ebay sales of MREs from LA to FL... Govt distirbuted them FREE to hurricane victims.

"The Pentagon pays $86.98 for a case of MREs, or about $7.25 per meal, Klein said. The Web site for a chain of Army-Navy stories in the Washington area listed a case of 12 MREs for $96." Associated Press.

"Representatives for eBay, the online auctioneer company, say it is impossible to prove that any of the meals were meant for hurricane victims. They note that MREs can be bought in camping stores and Army-Navy surplus outlets." AP

But at least some of the MREs advertised on the Web site are being sold from Louisiana, Mississippi, Florida and other Gulf states, and are individually packaged with a disclaimer that clearly notes: "U.S. Government property - Commercial resale is unlawful." AP

If this is true these people should be locked up!
I'm not the least bit surprised. I think I might go up front and get an MRE myself. Too bad, they're gone. I've read the commercial resale thing on MRE's before.

I always thought Air Force OSI and Army CID hung out at Army-Navy stores because people steal stuff and want a quick buck. I know people have gotten caught before because of it.

lonny23
10-30-2005, 12:39 PM
I wonder if we can sell you? Hey, they sold Joseph! Only thing is we can't afford for you to come back and take over! :p

lonny23
10-30-2005, 12:41 PM
I know a lot of people that hate them, but guys that go hunting like the convenience of food that doesn't need cooking. I like them. They don't beat the chow hall, but it is decent food.

dragons08
10-30-2005, 12:43 PM
I wonder if we can sell you? Hey, they sold Joseph! Only thing is we can't afford for you to come back and take over! :p
all hte money in the world couldnt afford me!! i guess you all are just stuck with me, sucks doesnt it?

dragons08
10-30-2005, 12:44 PM
I know a lot of people that hate them, but guys that go hunting like the convenience of food that doesn't need cooking. I like them. They don't beat the chow hall, but it is decent food.
chow hall, its so unorginal, but orginal at the same time

lonny23
10-30-2005, 12:45 PM
It stands for Meals Ready to Eat. It's designed for eating in a field environment where you don't have cooking facilities or access to fire. It's a lot of freeze dried food and stuff. They actually have a lot of calories in MRE's. You can get chicken, beef, and a lot of different things. They sell non-government MRE's in places like Wal-Mart and they usually run about $8.

lonny23
10-30-2005, 12:48 PM
The point is WE paid for them...for hurricane victims. :(
There will always be corruptness and it happens in every society. We give food for relief to certain countries and the food and medicine doesn't get out to everybody.

Do any of you guys remember the Topps baseball cards for Desert Storm? A full set was going for over $7000 at one time and after I got to Alaska, we have a Sergeant come in that was in Desert Storm and took like 3 complete sets out of a shipment.

lonny23
10-30-2005, 12:49 PM
That's what the government pays for them...less on e-bay...
People that go hunting like that stuff. Anybody that spends a lot of time outdoors will want them.

lonny23
10-30-2005, 12:50 PM
I bet you see them all the time in Southlake! :D

dragons08
10-30-2005, 12:52 PM
I bet you see them all the time in Southlake! :D
in the new neighborhoods they build like mine when we first moved here, now i dont see them anymore, thank god, mosy annoying things, theyd fly aruond the corner honking their horn like crazy, sell their food drive to next house their building honking horn like crazy

lonny23
10-30-2005, 12:52 PM
Not exactly, Meals-Ready-to-Eat are vacuum sealed food with like 10,000(?) carbs in a meals. Survival food.
They're packed with calories and weigh several pounds.

dragons08
10-30-2005, 12:53 PM
your really going to town with this thread!

lonny23
10-30-2005, 12:54 PM
I ate 'em in Saudi Arabia...because I didnt care for the dog.... :D
I've seen the 3 Stooges and they eat cat, too! :D Watch Malice in the Palace!

lonny23
10-30-2005, 12:54 PM
They're called meals ready to eat.

There basically dry food and you "just add water"....basically.
You don't have to add water.

lonny23
10-30-2005, 12:56 PM
You practice stuff like hurricane evacuations, tornadoes, recalls where you see how fast everybody reports to work, nuclear attacks, power outages, etc.

dragons08
10-30-2005, 12:58 PM
You practice stuff like hurricane evacuations, tornadoes, recalls where you see how fast everybody reports to work, nuclear attacks, power outages, etc.
skins is only a jr, in high school

lonny23
10-30-2005, 12:59 PM
Good Operations Security is good and they tell us to watch what we say. Little bits of info can give away too much info.

Saying all that, I DOUBT YOU HAVE ANYTHING THAT HIGH-TECH YOU'RE DOING IN ROTC! :D

lonny23
10-30-2005, 01:02 PM
its triple super secret, and hed have to kill us bring us back to life and kill you again
I think there are several people in this thread that know a lot more secrets than ol' Redskins! ;)

lonny23
10-30-2005, 01:03 PM
i produce enough urine and crap for myself! why buy more?? :p
You've got people on there that will say, "Tom Hanks used this napkin". I liked the one where a guy was selling a fart in a bottle.

lonny23
10-30-2005, 01:06 PM
chow hall, its so unorginal, but orginal at the same time
I don't have a lot of choices over here. I can eat at the chow hall for free or find some MRE's somewhere, but they're in short supply. They have a few food items at the BX, but nothing for long-term sustainment. We don't have a kitchen to cook in. I think there is 1 hot dog place on base. I'm one of the lucky ones that could eat at the airport if I wanted to, but what they have is limited. I'll just take the free food at the chow hall.

lonny23
10-30-2005, 01:08 PM
in the new neighborhoods they build like mine when we first moved here, now i dont see them anymore, thank god, mosy annoying things, theyd fly aruond the corner honking their horn like crazy, sell their food drive to next house their building honking horn like crazy
I've seen ice cream and snowcone trucks, but never a guy hollering, "Hey, you want some masa. We've got your hot enchiladas, here!" :D

mad_fan
10-30-2005, 01:10 PM
I think there are several people in this thread that know a lot more secrets than ol' Redskins! ;)

Na, Skins probably seen more secrets at Reagan than I saw in four year of working out in Nevada! :eek: I only lived in Vegas and flew to work. :D

lonny23
10-30-2005, 01:10 PM
your really going to town with this thread!
You picked a topic I'm familiar with. Everybody should read a topic twice. When they start posting and then after I come back to put multiple $.02 in. I'm on a different time schedule and don't always come in when everybody else does.

lonny23
10-30-2005, 01:11 PM
skins is only a jr, in high school
I was just letting you know the type of stuff we do for exercises on and off base. Cities have exercises like I said, too.

lonny23
10-30-2005, 01:13 PM
Na, Skins probably seen more secrets at Reagan than I saw in four year of working out in Nevada! :eek: I only lived in Vegas and flew to work. :D
I bet you were a Dick Butkus fan! ;)

mad_fan
10-30-2005, 01:19 PM
I bet you were a Dick Butkus fan! ;)

Okay, that's a Lonnyism...since I'm drinking beer and watching the Packer lose...explain...

mad_fan
10-30-2005, 01:20 PM
Okay, that's a Lonnyism...since I'm drinking beer and watching the Packer lose...explain...

nevermind...haha!

lonny23
10-30-2005, 01:21 PM
Edited.

lonny23
10-30-2005, 01:22 PM
nevermind...haha!
See, alcohol does slow your brain!

mad_fan
10-30-2005, 01:26 PM
See, alcohol does slow your brain!

A lot! That's why I do it at home!!!! :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0385486480/103-1160512-9483810?v=glance&n=283155&v=glance

mad_fan
10-30-2005, 01:36 PM
Man in that picture his jersey is so BLACK! :D

lonny23
10-30-2005, 01:39 PM
Man in that picture his jersey is so BLACK! :D
He didn't have great speed, but he was all over the field because he knew where the ball was going.

mad_fan
10-30-2005, 01:41 PM
He didn't have great speed, but he was all over the field because he knew where the ball was going.

:rolleyes: and the bad guys never saw him coming ;)

lonny23
10-30-2005, 02:06 PM
:rolleyes: and the bad guys never saw him coming ;)
I think it's human emotion that they thought that ogre wasn't going to catch them, but he did. I've seen it in football, too. They think the big guy isn't fast enough and get sacked. They'd throw the ball away when they saw me coming.

mad_fan
10-30-2005, 02:30 PM
I think it's human emotion that they thought that ogre wasn't going to catch them, but he did. I've seen it in football, too. They think the big guy isn't fast enough and get sacked. They'd throw the ball away when they saw me coming.

The ogre always gets them..in his place and time... :)
The big guy is always underestimated in his speed and agility...and when you make adjustments...you find the big guy has another surprise... :D

lonny23
10-30-2005, 05:22 PM
The ogre always gets them..in his place and time... :)
The big guy is always underestimated in his speed and agility...and when you make adjustments...you find the big guy has another surprise... :D
GO ROOSEVELT! Nice. :D

mad_fan
10-30-2005, 08:27 PM
GO ROOSEVELT! Nice. :D

:confused: Go Lee??????????? :confused:

Where to?

lonny23
10-31-2005, 12:08 AM
:confused: Go Lee??????????? :confused:

Where to?
I don't know. They already went where most people tell you to go to! :D

dada
10-31-2005, 02:49 PM
Call me crazy, but I loved MRE's...they grow on you. The Tuna with noodles, the meat balls...hell I would eat ANYHING but the Corned beef hash and the oatmeal, sawdust logs. I would take the peaches...out in crackers and sugar and sit it on the hood of the hummer for a while..and PRESTO....peach cobbler. The only thing I hated was being in a tent full of guys who had been eating MRE's....if you been there...you KNOW what I'm talking about. They smell just like they taste...lol

lonny23
10-31-2005, 02:53 PM
Call me crazy, but I loved MRE's...they grow on you. The Tuna with noodles, the meat balls...hell I would eat ANYHING but the Corned beef hash and the oatmeal, sawdust logs. I would take the peaches...out in crackers and sugar and sit it on the hood of the hummer for a while..and PRESTO....peach cobbler. The only thing I hated was being in a tent full of guys who had been eating MRE's....if you been there...you KNOW what I'm talking about. They smell just like they taste...lol
Hey, they're not bad food. I liked them.

mad_fan
10-31-2005, 04:23 PM
Hey, they're not bad food. I liked them.

I liked 'em too. Except those pink hotdogs :eek: ...have they fixed that? :confused:

lonny23
10-31-2005, 07:32 PM
I liked 'em too. Except those pink hotdogs :eek: ...have they fixed that? :confused:
I don't remember pink hot dogs, but then again I'm more used to box lunches from the flight kitchen.

Reaganrattler07
10-31-2005, 07:53 PM
I don't remember pink hot dogs, but then again I'm more used to box lunches from the flight kitchen.

Yeah, Air Force are treated better....I remember in the 'exercise' when we were with the Marines, we ate MREs....as soon as we landed and were at the air base, we had a buffet! :D

lonny23
10-31-2005, 08:06 PM
Yeah, Air Force are treated better....I remember in the 'exercise' when we were with the Marines, we ate MREs....as soon as we landed and were at the air base, we had a buffet! :D
That never changes.