PDA

View Full Version : Best place to coach

SoCal Coach
04-05-2005, 04:10 AM
Good to see you guys got your board back up and running. This question may not get too many replies but I'm gonna throw it out there any way. Where is the best place to coach in Texas? Now I'm not just talking about who has the best athletes or best community support (although those things definitely count also) but I'm also talking about academics and a place where a coach would want to raise a family. Oh yeah, and where they have good country bars :D

jtk1519
04-05-2005, 04:28 AM
It starts with "Highland" and ends with "Park." I know they are 4A, but I cant imagine a better place to work than Highland Park. Great support, tradition, athletes, academics. The Parks Cities is about as nice an area as there is if you can afford it. The fact that the HC makes six figures helps that out. Last I heard, the HC at HP, Randy Allen, is the highest paid high school coach in Texas and maybe the nation. HP is currently atop the 4A Lone Star Cup standings (honors the best overall athletic and academic programs in Texas) and they are used to being #1 on that list.

I dont know how many country bars are in the Park Cities (I'm guessing none), but Billy Bob's, the worlds largest Honky Tonk, is just over in Ft. Worth.

ALLIN
04-05-2005, 09:14 AM
I would bet Southlake Carroll, athletics are great and the kids are very smart and work hard

Mr. Buddy Garrity
04-05-2005, 09:27 AM
Southlake Carroll, athletics are great and the kids are very smart and work hard in the classroomI have to say Lufkin, Jasper, and/or Tyler Lee.

RedRage00
04-05-2005, 10:51 AM
Haha.....everyone is so biased! :D

TheDuke
04-05-2005, 11:44 AM
The Woodlands!!!! HAHAHAHAH!!!! :D :D

dragonsdaddy
04-05-2005, 11:54 AM
hp would be a great place to coach, no doubt, but unless you bring a wad of outside income with you, you better plan on commuting. same with slc. neither community is coach-salary friendly as far as housing is concerned. most if not all coaches at both schools live outside the district and bring their families into the program with the support of the district and the uil.

Owned05
04-05-2005, 12:42 PM
SLC would probably be the best place to coach.

With a stack of state championships and great support, why wouldn't any coach want to be there? Only one high school in the district, so that makes it much easier to teach the 'basics' through Pop Warner all the way through Junior High.

Not to mention, they aren't hurting for money either. They've got great facilities.

jtk1519
04-05-2005, 02:14 PM
hp would be a great place to coach, no doubt, but unless you bring a wad of outside income with you, you better plan on commuting. same with slc. neither community is coach-salary friendly as far as housing is concerned. most if not all coaches at both schools live outside the district and bring their families into the program with the support of the district and the uil.

I dont know if Coach Allen lives in Highland Park or not, but I do know that his salary has a very large housing allowance. As best I can recall, he makes a base salary of around $98,000 a year and then receives around $18,000 a year in housing allowances. That still may not be enough to live there.

Salary would be the only knock I would have against SLC. With all that Dodge has done there, he isnt paid like one of the big boys. There are one school towns out there like Highland Park, Ennis and Stephenville that have or do pay their coaches in the six figures. All the coaches in West Texas make between $90-100k. Last I heard, Dodge's salary was in the $70-80k range.

RGVBadBoy
04-05-2005, 02:22 PM
the RGV pays there coaches in the hi 80s low 90s but there are some that get more, if you know what i mean......i think the RGV is a great place to live or coach, there is outstanding community support and cost of liveing is one fo the cheapest in the state, the RioGrandeValley is also a beautiful place, home to friendly people, great food and great culture, i am suprised that more coaches do not come to coach down here, our school districts do pay and the teams do have potential......just a thought, so SoCalCoach, if your thinking of moving to our great state of TEXAS, shop around, see what fits the best, and them move to McAllen, Mission or Sharyland Texas, you wont regret it....

Owned05
04-05-2005, 03:06 PM
I had no idea coaches made that much money. Makes my quest to become a coach even more worth while.

Are those figures just for head coaches or what? Any of yall know how much assistants make a year?

dragonsdaddy
04-05-2005, 03:25 PM
those top end salaries are definitely hc's. assts get a small stipend above a teachers pay. it used to be less than 2 bucks an hour. you better love your job or you'll be in sales soon.

garlandowl08
04-05-2005, 03:36 PM
Garland is a little "ghetto" but there are nice areas in teh district (firewheel and 2 other country clubs as well as waterview in rowlett and an extremely nice housing district in Sachse) but we have the IB program so there are the smartest students in the district there, there is always a reasonably good football team with above average talent, and there is great spirit from the student and parent body. Then again, I am sort of biased.

Red Raiders
04-05-2005, 04:44 PM
The Woodlands!!!! HAHAHAHAH!!!! :D :D

I am sure The Woodlands work hard in classroom but I know there very social people there with 8,000 students. :eek:

Red Raiders
04-05-2005, 04:46 PM
I have to say Lufkin, Jasper, and/or Tyler Lee.

I will say Tyler Lee out of these three, I am serious because they gone to playoffs in every sports I mean every single sports like Hockey or swimming. You can name me one thats possible in High School Sports. Tyler Lee are very athletics not just because I go there.

Texasfootball12
04-05-2005, 05:30 PM
I dont know if this is just me but if i were a coach i would go to a school that was no good at football and the school needed things, computers,better food,desks etc. i would start at that school , and make those kids feel like they've got something to live for, itd be great working for Abilene or SLC but those other schools, no ones doing anything to help them and there all drugies, and instead of growing up to be in gangs and sell drugs for a living, i would make them fell they had something to live for and give the a chance to shine.

Red Raiders
04-05-2005, 05:33 PM
I dont know if this is just me but if i were a coach i would go to a school that was no good at football and the school needed things, computers,better food,desks etc. i would start at that school , and make those kids feel like they've got something to live for, itd be great working for Abilene or SLC but those other schools, no ones doing anything to help them and there all drugies, and instead of growing up to be in gangs and sell drugs for a living, i would make them fell they had something to live for and give the a chance to shine.

You mean go to school where they can't afford things like Laredo schools?

slcdragons
04-05-2005, 06:15 PM
As a teacher in the Carroll ISD, I can say without any reservation that this is the best district I have ever taught in. Parental support, good solid kids and the best faculty are some of the first thoughts that pop into my mind when I think about Carroll ISD. Its not perfect(there is some resentment amongst faculty and the upper level administration in the district.) But at my particular school I seriously doubt I will ever leave it, until I get to the retirement phase. In my humble opinion, nowhere is the grass any greener than Carroll ISD. :)

CCHS77
04-05-2005, 06:26 PM
IMO, I think you are going to be hard pressed to come from out of state and get a job with the more successfull 5A programs. Look at some of the 3A and 4A schools, to get a lone star connection going for you..

BTW, Surely you don't think you will get an unbiased opinion on here!

Texasfootball12
04-05-2005, 07:24 PM
yes, or just any school that could use the help, i would like to turn thugs and and these low life people into star athletes. have any of yall ever seen coach carter, well something like that except football

Owned05
04-05-2005, 08:10 PM
Yall have seen too many movies.

Take what you can get when it comes to coaching. If you're lucky enough you'll win some games after some time and then be able to have your choice of which school you'd like to coach.

Texasfootball12
04-05-2005, 08:46 PM
we dont watch to many movies, it was an example buddy

Chief Wahoo
04-05-2005, 09:13 PM
It starts with "Highland" and ends with "Park." I know they are 4A, but I cant imagine a better place to work than Highland Park. Great support, tradition, athletes, academics. The Parks Cities is about as nice an area as there is if you can afford it. The fact that the HC makes six figures helps that out. Last I heard, the HC at HP, Randy Allen, is the highest paid high school coach in Texas and maybe the nation. HP is currently atop the 4A Lone Star Cup standings (honors the best overall athletic and academic programs in Texas) and they are used to being #1 on that list.

I dont know how many country bars are in the Park Cities (I'm guessing none), but Billy Bob's, the worlds largest Honky Tonk, is just over in Ft. Worth.

I think you will agree that that is not a job that will open up anytime soon unless Randy keels over suddenly. Where would he go from there? I am not sure he has any collegiate coaching aspirations! :confused:

SoCal Coach
04-05-2005, 09:38 PM
I was actually offered a coaching job in the Plano district 2 years ago, but at the time when I was to make my decision my ex-fiance and I split, so I decided to stay close to family. Right now I coach at a good D-1 program and I'm going on my 8th season, so I have the experience and credentials to come over as an assistant. I was just curious as to the nicer areas to coach. I went to Plano on a business trip and loved the area, although it was a business trip so I didn't get to see any of the high schools or the stadium.

jtk1519
04-05-2005, 10:25 PM
I think you will agree that that is not a job that will open up anytime soon unless Randy keels over suddenly. Where would he go from there? I am not sure he has any collegiate coaching aspirations! :confused:

I dont see him leaving very soon. He'll probably retire there and he is a good ways away from that.

pack4life
04-05-2005, 10:32 PM
I was actually offered a coaching job in the Plano district 2 years ago, but at the time when I was to make my decision my ex-fiance and I split, so I decided to stay close to family. Right now I coach at a good D-1 program and I'm going on my 8th season, so I have the experience and credentials to come over as an assistant. I was just curious as to the nicer areas to coach. I went to Plano on a business trip and loved the area, although it was a business trip so I didn't get to see any of the high schools or the stadium.

Plano is a very nice area, there is so much to do over there.. and it is really on a nice part of Dallas. If you've got the credentials i would definetly take that job is offered.

drgnbkr
04-05-2005, 10:47 PM
yes, or just any school that could use the help, i would like to turn thugs and and these low life people into star athletes. have any of yall ever seen coach carter, well something like that except football

It's a very noble aspiration...knock yourself out!

Cdawg
04-06-2005, 02:32 PM
this may be a dumb question, but are all these places great to coach at because the programs are strong and have been winning or are they great to coach at when times are tough also? i know i know, the dragons have never experienced that.

CoppellCowboy57
04-06-2005, 03:24 PM
Hate to say it, but The Green City (aka slc) has to be the best. Good athletes, the BEST fans, and good city all togeither

Red Raiders
04-06-2005, 04:28 PM
Plano is a very nice area, there is so much to do over there.. and it is really on a nice part of Dallas. If you've got the credentials i would definetly take that job is offered.

Yes Plano is nice like Sugar Land in Houston Area but I think Sugar Land is nicer and better.

Owned05
04-06-2005, 04:47 PM
Errr Sugar Land nice?

Have ya been out there lately?

I've never been to Plano though, so I couldn't give a report on that part of the state.

dragonsdaddy
04-06-2005, 04:49 PM
rr likes flat treeless areas with lots of mosquitos and over-priced farmland.

Red Raiders
04-06-2005, 04:50 PM
Errr Sugar Land nice?

Have ya been out there lately?

I've never been to Plano though, so I couldn't give a report on that part of the state.

I been both place, I loved it there than in Tyler. Sugar Land has alot of NBA players there and saw Cooper from WNBA in Sugar Land driving her SUV.

drgnbkr
04-06-2005, 04:51 PM
I been both place, I loved it there than in Tyler. Sugar Land has alot of NBA players there and saw Cooper from WNBA in Sugar Land driving her SUV.

Those were'nt NBA players...those were mosquitos!

Red Raiders
04-06-2005, 04:53 PM
Those were'nt NBA players...those were mosquitos!

How do you know? have you been Sugar Land? I seen NBA players in Sugar Land and I know they live there including Shaq!

dragonsdaddy
you need to come on over to valley ranch, if seeing big shot athletes spins your tires. we have a few said faces floating around sl also, but it hasn't made the area any more livable or scenic.

Red Raiders
you need to come on over to valley ranch, if seeing big shot athletes spins your tires. we have a few said faces floating around sl also, but it hasn't made the area any more livable or scenic.

Where the heck is Valley Ranch?

dragonsdaddy
04-06-2005, 04:54 PM
think cowboys.

Red Raiders
04-06-2005, 04:57 PM
think cowboys.

Well I know they have alot big houses in Southlake which is 78% over 100,000$ and Houston is 72% over 100,000$ and thats 4 million people live there and yall have maybe under 100,000 thousand right? imagine that Houston with alot of cultures live there with big houses over 100,000 dollars.

dragonsdaddy
04-06-2005, 05:02 PM
the dallas cowboys practice facility is in valley ranch and lots of them and the stars players live there. sl is under 30,000. we are in the bottom 1/4 of 5a schools at 2300 students, and likely to stabilize at that number. if the 5a cut-off keeps rising, we may return to 4-a in a few years. i'm betting the percentage over 100k is closer to 100%.

Texasfootball12
04-06-2005, 05:09 PM
It's a very noble aspiration...knock yourself out!

hey maybe because southlake carrol is so rich and has a "perfect football team" doesnt mean some little ghetto school cant reach that goal, yall are stuck up

dragonsdaddy
04-06-2005, 05:30 PM
12, you aren't much for paying attention. he was offering his support for an up and coming coach. has the green-eyed bug bitten you lately?

farmerfan
04-06-2005, 06:02 PM
If your looking at 5A only, some areas that jump out include, Allen which is about 30 miles north of Dallas and on the border with Plano, NE Tarrant county, Grapevine, Colleyville or Southlake, even though the latter is the more recognized school, the other two have great community support. Lewisville school district, I know they pay well and still have some athletes at the schools, it is a proud district that has experienced a few down years of late, so some new blood could come in and quickly make a name for himself. I am not familiar with the layout of other districts around the state, so that is why i will stick with the metroplex schools.
If you are looking at the lower classifications then two small communities instantly jump out, Pilot Point and Celina, they are both growing communities that have a strong passion for their football.

dragonsdaddy
04-06-2005, 06:16 PM
celina has a storied recent past and is still like old small town texas used to be, but not for long i fear.

drgnbkr
04-06-2005, 06:32 PM
At the risk of sounding "stuck up" texasfootball12, I would humbly submit Argyle as a potential powerhouse..they already win big in hoops and could build on that success with the football program....and don't forget 12..Carroll is'nt perfect...we did let Katy slip by us by a point....without that, the Dragons could claim perfection in 5-A.... ;)

farmerfan
04-06-2005, 07:08 PM
Argyle has the makeup to be a serious contender, the big problem with that though is my alma-mater Liberty Christian is opening their new campus about 2 miles from Argyle HS in the same complex as Integrity Park. That will draw some kids from that area, as well as others from Keller, Roanoke, Trophy Club and maybe even some kids from southlake who just want a chance to see some time on the playing field. In all seriousness though, dgbkr is right on in his assesment of argyle having the potential to be a serious contender in the next few years.

Red Raiders
04-06-2005, 09:43 PM
the dallas cowboys practice facility is in valley ranch and lots of them and the stars players live there. sl is under 30,000. we are in the bottom 1/4 of 5a schools at 2300 students, and likely to stabilize at that number. if the 5a cut-off keeps rising, we may return to 4-a in a few years. i'm betting the percentage over 100k is closer to 100%.

That would be bad if they go to 4A and yall don't need to because yall are too good for 4A though.

Tyler is increasing alot, in 1995 they had 81,000 and now they have 103,000 so we might be like Austin when they reach a million in 25 years but maybe not. I would say we will reach 200,000 in like over 10 to 15 years.

Red Raiders
04-06-2005, 09:46 PM
hey maybe because southlake carrol is so rich and has a "perfect football team" doesnt mean some little ghetto school cant reach that goal, yall are stuck up

Well Southlake Carroll are rich because 78% household over 100,00 and it is top 10 in USA and Houston is top 15 with 72% household over 100,000 which is very very good for that many people 4 million, WOW. If Houston had like 50,000 people than 99% household over 100,000.

drgnbkr
04-06-2005, 09:47 PM
Argyle has the makeup to be a serious contender, the big problem with that though is my alma-mater Liberty Christian is opening their new campus about 2 miles from Argyle HS in the same complex as Integrity Park. That will draw some kids from that area, as well as others from Keller, Roanoke, Trophy Club and maybe even some kids from southlake who just want a chance to see some time on the playing field. In all seriousness though, dgbkr is right on in his assesment of argyle having the potential to be a serious contender in the next few years.

A few of the younger Southlake kids we know have enrolled at Liberty Christian, although I think most are there for reasons other than athletics.

Red Raiders
04-06-2005, 09:48 PM
A few of the younger Southlake kids we know have enrolled at Liberty Christian, although I think most are there for different reasons than athletics.

Aren't Southlake Carroll students resepectful because they want to go to College like Tyler Lee does?

drgnbkr
04-07-2005, 08:20 AM
Aren't Southlake Carroll students resepectful because they want to go to College like Tyler Lee does?

95% of Carroll grads go on to college....There are far more academic scholarships than athletic...

CoppellCowboy57
04-07-2005, 01:26 PM
I used to live in Vally Ranch before I moved to Coppell infact i used to live like right down the street from Troy!!!!! Greg Ellis used to live across the naborhood...

Red Raiders
04-07-2005, 05:06 PM
I used to live in Vally Ranch before I moved to Coppell infact i used to live like right down the street from Troy!!!!! Greg Ellis used to live across the naborhood...

Thats pretty awesome and my uncle lives in houston and live right down there from Former President George W. Bush!!! (the older one)

04-10-2005, 08:44 AM
all it takes is to have ONE more point than the opponent to win??????? To bad back then it could not end in a tie!! Then the record 31-0-1 instead of 31-1-0.

TIGER07
04-12-2005, 10:45 AM
At the risk of sounding "stuck up" texasfootball12, I would humbly submit Argyle as a potential powerhouse..they already win big in hoops and could build on that success with the football program....and don't forget 12..Carroll is'nt perfect...we did let Katy slip by us by a point....without that, the Dragons could claim perfection in 5-A.... ;)

Not this old song and dance again,

Sorry, but Katy didn't slip by. We WON...... :)

dragonsdaddy
04-12-2005, 12:13 PM
i can imagine if the fg had been good, that there would have been more than a few posters who would have felt we had slipped by. semantics.

TIGER07
04-12-2005, 01:27 PM
i can imagine if the fg had been good, that there would have been more than a few posters who would have felt we had slipped by. semantics.

This is too funny, and if we hadn't intercepted the ball and if and if and if (get my point?)...Trust me there have been several, you know that as well as everyone else.

Can we all just get past this, it happened in December 2003. We had it then, you have it now, 2005 is still open... :). Until December 2005 enjoy it. Maybe you will get it again, maybe you wont. December will tell. Have fun everyone.

stevefoxsc
04-12-2005, 04:06 PM
i'd have to say the city i was born at austin though i don't live there >.<
school like westlake rich in tradtion a nice part of town and its the entertaintment capital of texas sure its not a massive size city like houston or dallas but it does have better bars and great stuff like south by south west

Red Raiders
04-12-2005, 04:22 PM
Umm, I think Houston has anything better than Austin except Computers because Austin is the Dell home town. :)

stevefoxsc
04-12-2005, 04:40 PM
Umm, I think Houston has anything better than Austin except Computers because Austin is the Dell home town. :)
ok the only thing i can say good about houston is the amusement parks thats the 1 thing austin doesn't have, austin has better bars/club local musicians and the crime rate is lower and we don't have floods :p

Red Raiders
04-12-2005, 04:42 PM
ok the only thing i can say good about houston is the amusement parks thats the 1 thing austin doesn't have, austin has better bars/club local musicians and the crime rate is lower and we don't have floods :p

Ahh thats right but Houston has the most resturaunts in the world, I am serious more than New York. I just love Houston seafood like papadeux seafood, I love that place!!!

stevefoxsc
04-12-2005, 04:54 PM
Ahh thats right but Houston has the most resturaunts in the world, I am serious more than New York. I just love Houston seafood like papadeux seafood, I love that place!!!
i can see resutraunts due to a larger size city but the world come on its hard to compete with the japense tokyo has massive amounts of resturaunts, and any city the has a decent size to it has papadeux

Red Raiders
04-12-2005, 04:56 PM
i can see resutraunts due to a larger size city but the world come on its hard to compete with the japense tokyo has massive amounts of resturaunts, and any city the has a decent size to it has papadeux

Are you saying Tokyo has more resturaunts than Houston does? Houston supposed to have more and its because it has like 50 miles wide.

CCHS77
04-12-2005, 05:51 PM
I just love Houston seafood like papadeux seafood, I love that place!!!

You mean the chain restraunt called Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen? There are 21 in Texas and 8 in 5 other states.

CCHS77
04-12-2005, 05:58 PM

Houston was the home of Compaq computors, before HP bought/mearged with them. Even now it remains headquarters for HP in the USA.

stevefoxsc
04-12-2005, 11:32 PM
Are you saying Tokyo has more resturaunts than Houston does? Houston supposed to have more and its because it has like 50 miles wide.
tokyo is the biggest city in the world they have very crowed and have resturants like we have apartments

KT2000
04-13-2005, 12:18 AM
How did Tokyo manage to get worked into a conversation about best places to coach? lol

Yall never cease to amaze. Some of these threads are like roller coasters. :)

jtk1519
04-13-2005, 12:28 AM
Tokyo has more restaurants per capita than any other city in the world. Now, since Tokyo is also the most populous city in the world, logic would assume that it has more restaurants than any other city in the world. Houston may be 50 miles wide, but Tokyo's population is almost 6 times greater.

dragonsdaddy
04-13-2005, 07:53 AM
a thread is a terrible thing to waste. how this one became lame is unknown to me.

stevefoxsc
04-13-2005, 05:22 PM
you think they play football in tokyo or atleast madden

PackAttack2005
04-13-2005, 08:37 PM
I know Southlake and Katy and maybe others are great places to coach because of lots of reasons. Tradition, talent, high standard of living, support and great salaries are all good reasons. However, Lufkin has got to be a top 5 choice because of many of the same reasons above, maybe the standard of living is not the high level of a Southlake or Katy, but this is a very close and supportive community for the kids at Lufkin High. I think the small town atmosphere that exist in Lufkin is a rare combination for a 5A school today. The talent level at Lufkin is unbelievable and there is a true family atmosphere that surrounds the athletic programs in Lufkin. Lufkin is a great place to raise a family and I know John Outlaw makes the same money that Dodge or Joseph does at SLC or Katy. I think Lufkin is a top 5 choice for best places to coach.

Go Pack!!!

dragonsdaddy
04-13-2005, 08:43 PM
i bet that outlaw makes quite a bit more than dodge, who is in the botton third in metromess salaries. seems like a great way to support him by our wonderful sb.

PackAttack2005
04-13-2005, 09:16 PM
That is hard to believe that Dodge is not one of the top paid coach in the metro-plex area. I would guess he would be close to six figures. The SLC administation is making a mistake not paying Dodge for what he has accomplished at SLC.

dragonsdaddy
04-13-2005, 09:31 PM
tell me about it. we are trying to fire all the morons as fast as we can. they need to be fiscally responsible by keeping the biggest money-maker in texas hs football. the term penny-wise and pound foolish comes to mind.

drgnbkr
04-13-2005, 09:37 PM
There are school board candidate signs all over the yards of Southlake..we need some sweeping changes...

Red Raiders
04-13-2005, 10:07 PM
I know Southlake and Katy and maybe others are great places to coach because of lots of reasons. Tradition, talent, high standard of living, support and great salaries are all good reasons. However, Lufkin has got to be a top 5 choice because of many of the same reasons above, maybe the standard of living is not the high level of a Southlake or Katy, but this is a very close and supportive community for the kids at Lufkin High. I think the small town atmosphere that exist in Lufkin is a rare combination for a 5A school today. The talent level at Lufkin is unbelievable and there is a true family atmosphere that surrounds the athletic programs in Lufkin. Lufkin is a great place to raise a family and I know John Outlaw makes the same money that Dodge or Joseph does at SLC or Katy. I think Lufkin is a top 5 choice for best places to coach.

Go Pack!!!

Yes it would be top 5 places for coaches but look at Lee Head Coach Mike Owens who went to playoff every year since he was there (9 years in the row).

Bootsdaddy
04-17-2005, 11:33 PM
This same subject was broached on another website before last season and I remember that lufkin was #2. I cant remember who was #1 but I know Tyler Lee and longview were in the top 20.

svhorns
10-20-2006, 05:42 PM
How did Tokyo manage to get worked into a conversation about best places to coach? lol

Yall never cease to amaze. Some of these threads are like roller coasters. :)
basically sums up the whole board itself... its 5:40 p.m. and SLC still sucks... oops I mean OU sucks...:D

G-Man
10-20-2006, 05:55 PM
That is hard to believe that Dodge is not one of the top paid coach in the metro-plex area. I would guess he would be close to six figures. The SLC administation is making a mistake not paying Dodge for what he has accomplished at SLC.

He really has a sweet deal. He does not teach classes like some HC's AND he has no Athletic Director responsibilities like most HC's. All he does is coach football and work on football stuff...no volleyball, soccer or swimming parents to deal with....all for a tidy sum of $87,000/yr. Dont feel too sorry for him.:)

G-Man
10-20-2006, 06:05 PM

Assistant coaches get teacher pay plus a stipend that varies from district to district. Beginning teachers get around 30,000. Stipends are around 5000 for football and 3000 for a second sport like Track, Basketball, soccer, Golf. Thats 5A pay...it goes down from there. In Texas you also have to be "highly qualified" that is certified to teach some subject in which the school has an opening. Everyone on the staff except the HC teaches classes. Good luck.

Firebird
10-20-2006, 06:34 PM
Best place to coach is such a subjective thing.....

If your goal is to win championships, and that alone, then right now your best bets are to be found in affluent suburbs in DFW/ Houston/SA.

The only problem there is that even a head coache's salary doesn't go too far in the city. If you want to live close to where you work, you can expect to live far beyond your means, especially for an assistant coach.

If I were coaching, I would like a 4-A school in a decent sized, one school town. Coaches in small town will find that their salaries go a long, long way outside of the city. Plus, everyone knows and respects "Coach" in a small town.

I'm thinking a place like Brownwood, the Gregory-Portland area, Stephenville.... being a coach in those places means your salary gets you a long way, and you are part of a huge family. That's just my speed.

My $.02 worth.....I know not everyone will agree.

Plano Wildcat Fan
10-21-2006, 10:55 AM
rr likes flat treeless areas with lots of mosquitos and over-priced farmland.

Please@!!! When was the last time you drove through Plano and not far WEST PLANO on the tollway? My home where I grew up has beautiful 25 year old oak tress that are 35 feet tall and cover 1/2 of the front and back yards yard. The year we sold it back in 2002 the 3200 sq. foot house sold for 195,000. Very affordable and in a great greenbelt neighborhood. With longtime neighbors who are friendly and is nothing like what you describe.

78 Spartan
10-21-2006, 12:20 PM
He really has a sweet deal. He does not teach classes like some HC's AND he has no Athletic Director responsibilities like most HC's. All he does is coach football and work on football stuff...no volleyball, soccer or swimming parents to deal with....all for a tidy sum of $87,000/yr. Dont feel too sorry for him.:)

He will be tripling or quadrupling that amount in two years when he takes a job as an OC at a major D1 school.

zippy
10-21-2006, 03:08 PM
IMO, I think you are going to be hard pressed to come from out of state and get a job with the more successfull 5A programs. Look at some of the 3A and 4A schools, to get a lone star connection going for you..

BTW, Surely you don't think you will get an unbiased opinion on here!

Not true. I know many coaches from out of state that have got some 5A jobs. Some had not even coached prior to. It all comes down to work ethic. If you have it, the good coaches will snag you. 5A, 4A, or wherever they are.

dragonsdaddy
10-21-2006, 03:27 PM
Please@!!! When was the last time you drove through Plano and not far WEST PLANO on the tollway? My home where I grew up has beautiful 25 year old oak tress that are 35 feet tall and cover 1/2 of the front and back yards yard. The year we sold it back in 2002 the 3200 sq. foot house sold for 195,000. Very affordable and in a great greenbelt neighborhood. With longtime neighbors who are friendly and is nothing like what you describe.
dude i lived in plano before you were in diapers, but this comment, had you read the post, was aimed at red raiders(rr) who was saying good things about houston.

drgnbkr
10-21-2006, 03:31 PM
dude i lived in plano before you were in diapers, but this comment, had you read the post, was aimed at red raiders(rr) who was saying good things about houston.

I can understand Plano fans being a little snippy..they are dealing with some issues in Wildcat Land...;)

Plano Wildcat Fan
10-21-2006, 04:35 PM
I can understand Plano fans being a little snippy..they are dealing with some issues in Wildcat Land...;)

Your absolutely right. Its time to dive into my bottle of prozac.

Only 300 days and counting to start of the 2007 season. :)

CCHS77
10-21-2006, 04:56 PM
Not true. I know many coaches from out of state that have got some 5A jobs.

Some had not even coached prior to. It all comes down to work ethic. If you have it, the good coaches will snag you. 5A, 4A, or wherever they are.

How many?

zippy
10-22-2006, 09:04 PM
How many?

4 personally that I talk to often. 1 that I have played under, he was an assistant. Graduated from out of state and it was his first job out of college. I have met several at coaching schools, a few have been 5A, but others were in lower classifications. It really does not matter if you are from Texas or not. There is football played all over the US. If you work hard and are willing to put in the hours, you will get a good job. Also, wanted to mention that one guys applied for a 2A job and was turned down, and is now at a very good 5A school and has worked his way up to a DC. Should be a HC at either a 4A or 5A within the next couple of years.

The Lone Ranger
10-22-2006, 09:49 PM
Jesuit seems like a great place to work.

The job security is second to none. There have been two head coaches in the past 40 years, Gary A. Pasqua and Bob Wunderlick (not counting Jim Bachelor, who coached for one season while Coach Pasqua pursued private business). Pasqua retired, he wasn't fired. Both have had their ups and downs--Pasqua won something in the neighborhood of 14 titles as a head or assistant coach, while also having several no-playoff seasons, and one or two 0-10 seasons. Wunderlick won 3 straight TCIL titles to start his career as HC, then had 4 sub-.500 seasons as an independent coach (probably enough to get you fired in many places), then a UIL District and Bidistrict title, followed by another sub-.500 season.

Both coaches were alumni, which might explain the job security. And Coach Wunderlick has had something in the neighborhood of 50 people from his family attend the school, so I'd say he's safe.

The pay might not be in the neighborhood of HP or Ennis, and the football coach and AD both actually teach classes (not necessarily bad things), but that certainly would be outweighed by all of the positive benefits of the job.

Jesuit's combination of a good academic program and good students, a strong athletic program, community support, social justice awareness, and spiritual development is second to no other high school in the state.

So while you may not win UIL titles or make 6 figures at Jesuit, I'd say there's no better place to coach football in the state of Texas.

KTB mom
10-22-2006, 10:01 PM
SoCal Coach:
Check out the Katy district. With 60,000 students projected to grow to 100,000 students in the next 10 years, they'll be building more schools including another high school. A lot of the schools are less than 5 years old, so there should be plenty of opportunity there to get into the district.

Plus, you'll be amazed what your "SoCal dollars" can buy if you own a house in California. You'll think you've died and gone to heaven as we did when we moved from the San Francisco area in 1989. We doubled the size of our house/yard and found the best neighborhood in the world! (in Old Katy just north of Katy High School)

zippy
10-22-2006, 10:20 PM

Acually he makes a little over 90K plus any other additional perks that we do not know about. He is the #36th highest paid coach in 4 and 5A combined. As for 5A coaches teaching classes, I do not know of many that do. The ones that were once the athletic directors are slowely not having to do this anymore.(and keeping the same pay) Most of the top coaches in the state today do just what he does. Football and only football. All year. As for the stipend, there are some 3A schools giving larger ones than 5A. The numbers you listed are high, and nice. They are going up just about everywhere. Some are getting a base stipend, plus 15-20 days rate pay. Just the basic FB assistant that coaches 2 other sports can get into the 50K range within a few years of service. If you want to teach in the inner city you can start around that range. 1st year. For what most football programs bring into the school system, its still low in some areas. Its getting better however.

slorch
10-23-2006, 07:28 AM
How many?
I think some guy named Outlaw coached out of state before he got here. Just a rumor though...:D

CoveMom
10-23-2006, 07:31 AM
Best place to coach is such a subjective thing.....

If your goal is to win championships, and that alone, then right now your best bets are to be found in affluent suburbs in DFW/ Houston/SA.

The only problem there is that even a head coache's salary doesn't go too far in the city. If you want to live close to where you work, you can expect to live far beyond your means, especially for an assistant coach.

If I were coaching, I would like a 4-A school in a decent sized, one school town. Coaches in small town will find that their salaries go a long, long way outside of the city. Plus, everyone knows and respects "Coach" in a small town.

I'm thinking a place like Brownwood, the Gregory-Portland area, Stephenville.... being a coach in those places means your salary gets you a long way, and you are part of a huge family. That's just my speed.

My $.02 worth.....I know not everyone will agree.

I think you said this so much better than I could have. I was going to say Copperas Cove, but the point about one-HS towns and "Coach" being synonymous with your name says it all. Any 4A (one-school) town will do that for you. Some will be 5A, but I think in most of those, there is too much pressure to keep up with the bigger cities, etc.

KT1ss24
10-23-2006, 10:16 AM
I didn't see this thread earlier or i would have posted up a few but oh well the end of the thread is fine too. Katy High used to be a great great great place but now its on a downslide. It's still an exceptional program considering the other schools in 50 mile area or more but it's not what it used to be. Every player at Katy thinks it's a great place and almost untouchable and that it's just as good as any other state winning year but, all it takes is a few minutes of watching the players from highlight videos from 97, 98, 99, or 00'. Those kids were amazing, they were as big as college players and as enthusiastic as brainwashed players from their freshmen year these days. The support is still there no doubt about it and the acedemics is pretty good but the effects of a few influential coaches leaving(not blaming Joseph, he's been exceptional), new schools opening up, and the fact that we are just too used to winning has made us, the players, less cooperative and less enthusiastic toward the whole Katy Football Is Everything hype. Still a good place to coach, but nothing like it was just 5 years ago, well except for the 2 losing years.

slorch
10-23-2006, 10:27 AM
I didn't see this thread earlier or i would have posted up a few but oh well the end of the thread is fine too. Katy High used to be a great great great place but now its on a downslide. It's still an exceptional program considering the other schools in 50 mile area or more but it's not what it used to be. Every player at Katy thinks it's a great place and almost untouchable and that it's just as good as any other state winning year but, all it takes is a few minutes of watching the players from highlight videos from 97, 98, 99, or 00'. Those kids were amazing, they were as big as college players and as enthusiastic as brainwashed players from their freshmen year these days. The support is still there no doubt about it and the acedemics is pretty good but the effects of a few influential coaches leaving(not blaming Joseph, he's been exceptional), new schools opening up, and the fact that we are just too used to winning has made us, the players, less cooperative and less enthusiastic toward the whole Katy Football Is Everything hype. Still a good place to coach, but nothing like it was just 5 years ago, well except for the 2 losing years.
wtf?
Katy is a top 5 program, period.

bullrock
10-23-2006, 10:53 AM
I would look at outlying districts in the larger cities. A place like La Vernia southeast of San Antonio is a great place to start. They are 3A and have a very nice community, one that is growing leaps and bounds. The town is small but I'll bet in 5-6 years they will be a 5A school. The taxes are some of the lowest in the area and the people moving to the community are pretty successful. I've watched this community and this school for the last few years and I can tell you it will be the next powerhouse in the area in 5 years. Don't forget folks, you heard it here first.

KTB mom
10-23-2006, 10:55 AM
Still a good place to coach, but nothing like it was just 5 years ago, well except for the 2 losing years.

What??? What two losing years?

I think the 2001-2005 teams would take exception to your description as will the 2006 team. I didn't see any of those Tigers working less hard than late '90s teams did.

"we are just too used to winning has made us, the players, less cooperative and less enthusiastic toward the whole Katy Football Is Everything hype."

If this sentence means you're a player, then you should be ashamed of yourself. If you're going to do something in life - be part of a team - then do it well, do it wholeheartedly or don't do it at all.

bullrock
10-23-2006, 12:39 PM
KTmom,
It's hard to admit, but he is on to something. After a long tradition of winning, the younger players begin to think it is thier right to be successful and sometimes they lose sight of what got them there in the first place. True, they're still winning, but the guys who started the tradition and got the ball rolling can see the difference. You may not notice it if you weren't there from the start.

Fan4Life
10-23-2006, 02:15 PM
SoCal Coach:
Check out the Katy district. With 60,000 students projected to grow to 100,000 students in the next 10 years, they'll be building more schools including another high school. A lot of the schools are less than 5 years old, so there should be plenty of opportunity there to get into the district.

Plus, you'll be amazed what your "SoCal dollars" can buy if you own a house in California. You'll think you've died and gone to heaven as we did when we moved from the San Francisco area in 1989. We doubled the size of our house/yard and found the best neighborhood in the world! (in Old Katy just north of Katy High School)

Hey thats were i live too! :D