PDA

View Full Version : I dare anyone to throw against this secondary.

Mr. Buddy Garrity
05-19-2005, 12:21 PM
A close similar image to Westfield's Secondary last year. I have to say they will be the best Secondary to come through P.A. since Lincoln High's secondary in 2000 and 2001. :)

Titans aiming to shine in spring game

The stars of tomorrow will be at Port Arthur's Memorial Stadium tonight as Memorial High's Titans hold the school's fourth spring football game.

A scrimmage for ninth-graders begins at 5 p.m., with the Red-Black Game scheduled to start at 6 p.m.

Titan coach Dean Colbert said his program's 80 top players were equally divided for the varsity intrasquad game that will feature actual game-like conditions, with the exception of live special teams.

"We've been relatively injury-free this spring, and that's real good," Colbert said Wednesday. "We hope we can get through tomorrow without any injuries and go through the summer full strength."

Colbert says he'll need the summer -- the 7-on-7 tournaments and other voluntary weight and conditioning workouts leading up to August's two-a-days -- to settle on starters for a number of positions, especially quarterback and running back.

Senior-to-be Antone Goudeaux and junior-to-be Davon Lewis have done so well in their bid to replace last year's starter, Donovan Porterie, that Colbert hasn't had to use his ace in the hole, blue chip recruit Robert Joseph, under center.

"The quarterback position has been good to see," the Titans head coach said. "Both (Goudeaux and Lewis) have stepped up. Both seem ready to accept the challenge. It'll depend on who has the best summer."

Ditto for the tailback position, where the competition is to replace All-America Jamaal Charles, who last week added two state hurdles gold medals to the lofty credentials he'll take to the University of Texas.

Senior-to-be Orrian Spriggs, juniors-to-be Joseph Lindley and Brent Newcost, and a pair of sophomores-to-be, Jacovin Buckner and Patterson Clay, have done the bulk of the ball-carrying this spring and should again tonight.

"Running back is pretty much the same as at quarterback," Colbert says. "Everybody's on the same page. Again, it's going to come down to summer commitment and progress.

"We did also look at Robert Joseph there. Of course, he has experience there. We'll definitely be in a position to utilize him at running back, too."

Joseph backed up Charles at running back some last year. But the early commitment for the University of Texas is a two-year starter at free safety who led Memorial's defenders in tackles last year.

There are no plans for him to slack up on defense, and the way Colbert tells it, Josepth's teammates in the Titan secondary won't let him.

"I think our secondary has really shown the most improvement," the coach said when asked to choose. "We're going to go in with one of the best secondaries around. It will be hard to find a better group than we have as far as a secondary."

Justin Robertson, a star at the recent Greater Houston Coaches Association combine at the University of Houston, is being moved from one of Memorial's three safety positions to right cornerback, opposite Barry Valcin, a top backup at cornerback last year.

"That's been a great move," Colbert says of Robertson. "He's done a great job there. Barry Valcin has shown a lot of promise. Of course, we'll have Robert Joseph at free safety and Isiah Trahan is solid at strong safety. Todd Gardner has stepped up at weak safety and really done well."

Refilling graduation-depleted lines were a concern going into the spring. Not anymore.

"On both the offensive line and defensive line I'm feeling more comfortable every day," Colbert says, "especially on the defensive line."

The Titans lost their starting defensive front four, but are getting help from senior-to-be Don Holloway, one of the two offensive line holdovers. Colbert says Holloway will likely play opposite Anahuac transfer Stewart Artis, flanking junior tackles Charles Jacobs and Marcus Abbott.

"We're looking at Holloway at both tackle and end. He can play both positions really well," the coach said.

Holloway could also play some offense. Perhaps the Titans' most significant injury of the spring was a broken wrist suffered by Jonathan Vernon, who had been projected a starter at tackle.

But Vernon could be back by the fall. And even without him, Colbert likes a blocking crew led by two-year starter Trey Puckett at guard, returning backups Decovan Bennett and Markiese Cohea, tackles Jovan Gallentine and Larry Oliver and center Ronald DeJohn.

"DeJohn reminds me of Byron Alfred ," Colbert says, referring to the Memorial ex who was a freshman standout for the University of Houston last year, "but he's a lot bigger, 6-3 and 300 pounds."

Nick Gallow and Darius Leveige are the top candidates to join holdover Richard Alexander at linebacker, with returners Eric Reynolds, Dustyn Thomas and Byron Tolliver leading the receiving corps, with Eugene Mingo being joined by Andrew Barton at tight end.

Omar Alvarez is the leading candidate to replace Asael Ramiro as kicker and will perform for both teams tonight.

"They're doing a great job," Colbert said of his players. "The spring has really gone well. The kids have shown a lot of commitment. We haven't had any attendance problems from anybody. I'm real pleased with the attitude they're showing."

ALLIN
05-19-2005, 12:41 PM
O.K. I hope for the chance

Mr. Buddy Garrity
05-19-2005, 01:02 PM
I can't wait to see how many passes they pick off and return to the house against CUJO!!!! :D

c-lisle
05-19-2005, 01:26 PM
Depending how their new offense gels, CUJO might sneak up on some teams this year. I know Longview can never take them for granted. They almost beat us two years ago when they were horrible. They should have another very good defense this year.

CoppellCowboy57
05-19-2005, 01:28 PM
I bet SLC will burn...that secondary

Mr. Buddy Garrity
05-19-2005, 01:35 PM
That would be a very good match-up. Maybe we can get a two-year agreement with SLC since Dodge is from P.A.

Neutral site-----The Rose.

Naw I don't think anyone is gonna burn us this year. It's only two teams that will have a chance and that's Lufkin number one and the other team is our rivals Baytown Lee. I hate those *$#tards! :mad:

Mr. Buddy Garrity
05-19-2005, 01:37 PM
Depending how their new offense gels, CUJO might sneak up on some teams this year. I know Longview can never take them for granted. They almost beat us two years ago when they were horrible. They should have another very good defense this year.
I remember seeing that on high school xtra when they hung with yall. wasn't that game in Tyler though?

Jtate862003
05-19-2005, 05:52 PM
CUJO has a motto of Restore the ROAR!!!!!

I think they will do exactly that this yr..i think they will be the 3rd playoff team with Lee and Longview being the other 2

Xfballphenome05
05-19-2005, 07:36 PM

SLC WILL burn that secondary.

NMHS fan
05-19-2005, 08:54 PM
CUJO has a motto of Restore the ROAR!!!!!

I think they will do exactly that this yr..i think they will be the 3rd playoff team with Lee and Longview being the other 2

LOL, I wouldn't count on it. With all due respect, of course. And watch out for those Skeeters over the next couple of seasons. We should also be improved over the last two seasons. I would seriously put Rockwall over JT, but we'll see how the coaching changes for both schools works out. It should be interesting. I do think that district will probably come down to Lee and Longview once again - not much mystery there.

Texas Hammer
05-19-2005, 09:07 PM
A close similar image to Westfield's Secondary last year. I have to say they will be the best Secondary to come through P.A. since Lincoln High's secondary in 2000 and 2001. :)

Titans aiming to shine in spring game

The stars of tomorrow will be at Port Arthur's Memorial Stadium tonight as Memorial High's Titans hold the school's fourth spring football game.

A scrimmage for ninth-graders begins at 5 p.m., with the Red-Black Game scheduled to start at 6 p.m.

Titan coach Dean Colbert said his program's 80 top players were equally divided for the varsity intrasquad game that will feature actual game-like conditions, with the exception of live special teams.

"We've been relatively injury-free this spring, and that's real good," Colbert said Wednesday. "We hope we can get through tomorrow without any injuries and go through the summer full strength."

Colbert says he'll need the summer -- the 7-on-7 tournaments and other voluntary weight and conditioning workouts leading up to August's two-a-days -- to settle on starters for a number of positions, especially quarterback and running back.

Senior-to-be Antone Goudeaux and junior-to-be Davon Lewis have done so well in their bid to replace last year's starter, Donovan Porterie, that Colbert hasn't had to use his ace in the hole, blue chip recruit Robert Joseph, under center.

"The quarterback position has been good to see," the Titans head coach said. "Both (Goudeaux and Lewis) have stepped up. Both seem ready to accept the challenge. It'll depend on who has the best summer."

Ditto for the tailback position, where the competition is to replace All-America Jamaal Charles, who last week added two state hurdles gold medals to the lofty credentials he'll take to the University of Texas.

Senior-to-be Orrian Spriggs, juniors-to-be Joseph Lindley and Brent Newcost, and a pair of sophomores-to-be, Jacovin Buckner and Patterson Clay, have done the bulk of the ball-carrying this spring and should again tonight.

"Running back is pretty much the same as at quarterback," Colbert says. "Everybody's on the same page. Again, it's going to come down to summer commitment and progress.

"We did also look at Robert Joseph there. Of course, he has experience there. We'll definitely be in a position to utilize him at running back, too."

Joseph backed up Charles at running back some last year. But the early commitment for the University of Texas is a two-year starter at free safety who led Memorial's defenders in tackles last year.

There are no plans for him to slack up on defense, and the way Colbert tells it, Josepth's teammates in the Titan secondary won't let him.

"I think our secondary has really shown the most improvement," the coach said when asked to choose. "We're going to go in with one of the best secondaries around. It will be hard to find a better group than we have as far as a secondary."

Justin Robertson, a star at the recent Greater Houston Coaches Association combine at the University of Houston, is being moved from one of Memorial's three safety positions to right cornerback, opposite Barry Valcin, a top backup at cornerback last year.

"That's been a great move," Colbert says of Robertson. "He's done a great job there. Barry Valcin has shown a lot of promise. Of course, we'll have Robert Joseph at free safety and Isiah Trahan is solid at strong safety. Todd Gardner has stepped up at weak safety and really done well."

Refilling graduation-depleted lines were a concern going into the spring. Not anymore.

"On both the offensive line and defensive line I'm feeling more comfortable every day," Colbert says, "especially on the defensive line."

The Titans lost their starting defensive front four, but are getting help from senior-to-be Don Holloway, one of the two offensive line holdovers. Colbert says Holloway will likely play opposite Anahuac transfer Stewart Artis, flanking junior tackles Charles Jacobs and Marcus Abbott.

"We're looking at Holloway at both tackle and end. He can play both positions really well," the coach said.

Holloway could also play some offense. Perhaps the Titans' most significant injury of the spring was a broken wrist suffered by Jonathan Vernon, who had been projected a starter at tackle.

But Vernon could be back by the fall. And even without him, Colbert likes a blocking crew led by two-year starter Trey Puckett at guard, returning backups Decovan Bennett and Markiese Cohea, tackles Jovan Gallentine and Larry Oliver and center Ronald DeJohn.

"DeJohn reminds me of Byron Alfred ," Colbert says, referring to the Memorial ex who was a freshman standout for the University of Houston last year, "but he's a lot bigger, 6-3 and 300 pounds."

Nick Gallow and Darius Leveige are the top candidates to join holdover Richard Alexander at linebacker, with returners Eric Reynolds, Dustyn Thomas and Byron Tolliver leading the receiving corps, with Eugene Mingo being joined by Andrew Barton at tight end.

Omar Alvarez is the leading candidate to replace Asael Ramiro as kicker and will perform for both teams tonight.

"They're doing a great job," Colbert said of his players. "The spring has really gone well. The kids have shown a lot of commitment. We haven't had any attendance problems from anybody. I'm real pleased with the attitude they're showing."
I was going to ask how they compare to the crew Westfield rolled with last year.

Mr. Buddy Garrity
05-20-2005, 08:21 AM
I was going to ask how they compare to the crew Westfield rolled with last year.
their kinda similar in a way. Kibble was a hard hitter so is Joseph. they had ALOT of speed on the corners sorta like what we have this year coming up. I kinda wish we had another WS with speed to burn. it'll add some depth to the "D".

c-lisle
05-20-2005, 03:06 PM
I forgot y'all play Lufkin this year. If their(LP) pass game is as good as they expect, we will find out how good that secondary is. It would be interesting if you shut the pass game off to see how well Lufkin's new RBs perform.

pack0808
05-20-2005, 03:12 PM
i would put lufkin's secondary up there with hewitt, brown, and harris. hewitt and harris are 4.4. guys. i am not sure on brown?? but i hear he is real good. he transferred back to lufkin after leaving for a year or something like that. chris brown i think??

Mr. Buddy Garrity
05-20-2005, 03:43 PM
I forgot y'all play Lufkin this year. If their(LP) pass game is as good as they expect, we will find out how good that secondary is. It would be interesting if you shut the pass game off to see how well Lufkin's new RBs perform.
The way some people we're talking on another board LP's o-line is in trouble (for now). I'm sure they will get it together by the time we play them though. If not, then the passing game isn't gonna mean much if we can get to claybon in time before he scrambles. I think playing LP is gonna be the measuring stick on how good the secondary/rest of the defense is at the time and will be throughout the season. I don't think we will shut them down by any means but I do think they will have a very tough time passing against our secondary that we will have this up-coming season. It's gonna be a defensive game I do believe. With our secondary/d-line and Lufkin's whole defense I don't think many points will be scored as I originally thought. I think whoever wins will only score at the most 21-28 points.

I just thought of this but there is a chance that 2 VERY young RB's will be going at it with LP's Freshman and our incoming sophomore! ;)

dragonsdaddy
05-20-2005, 03:54 PM
if lp starts a frosh rb, he will instantly be my hero. replacing one of my all time favorites won't be fun anyway, but as a freshman-wow. i'll have to see it to believe it.

pack0808
05-20-2005, 04:02 PM
that freshmen is special but i doubt he will play on varsity this year. hey scooter the o-line will be fine. that was their first time out there together and it takes time to gel because almost all are newbies. they always are fine once the season starts. not to mention they are facing a great 1st string defense that is loaded with returning talent. lufkin's front 7 is going to make many ol's look bad this year. when your talking rtaylor, aj penson, rhurts, r murphy, mroberts, e taylor, and s willis you are going to face some serious problems as a oline. and the secondary is probably as strong as it ever has been if hewitt gets to 100 percent.

Mr. Buddy Garrity
05-20-2005, 04:03 PM
if lp starts a frosh rb, he will instantly be my hero. replacing one of my all time favorites won't be fun anyway, but as a freshman-wow. i'll have to see it to believe it.I don't think he will start but I think he'll get some playing time though.

eagleike
05-21-2005, 02:34 PM
Remember the Titans for what? getting their butts handed to them by everyone but the weakest of the weak?

KT2000
05-21-2005, 03:06 PM
Scooter, eagleike reminds me of you in your early days on the board. :)

Mr. Buddy Garrity
05-23-2005, 07:26 AM
Remember the Titans for what? getting their butts handed to them by everyone but the weakest of the weak?
So that is why Haynes turned down a chance to play us right? IKE couldn't beat Sabine Pass right now if their life was on the line....LOL You running ya mouth about PAM yall better be worried about that lil trip up HWY59 at the beginning of the season. :D

Mr. Buddy Garrity
05-23-2005, 07:27 AM
Scooter, eagleike reminds me of you in your early days on the board. :)
Yeah. He's probably mad because Haynes turned down the chance to get his teams rears handed to them by us. ;) (hint hint)

Mr. Buddy Garrity
05-23-2005, 07:50 AM
Just FYI we're in the field of 64 AGAIN for 7on7. good luck to all teams. your gonna need it.

Chief Wahoo
05-23-2005, 08:10 AM
Just FYI we're in the field of 64 AGAIN for 7on7. good luck to all teams. your gonna need it.

And PAM won't? Talk about arrogant... :confused:

Mr. Buddy Garrity
05-23-2005, 08:15 AM
And PAM won't? Talk about arrogant... :confused:
I guess you didn't READ the post....----> it said good luck TO ALL teams. Thank you. Read it over chief.

Chief Wahoo
05-23-2005, 09:49 AM
your gonna need it.

PAM included. :D :D

Mr. Buddy Garrity
05-23-2005, 11:26 AM
PAM included. :D :D
Uh, I think that's why I said ALL teams good luck. ;)

PackAttack2005
05-23-2005, 11:46 AM
Scooter, how did PAM get qualified for the 7 on 7 in College Station so early, I didn't think there was a qualifying tournament until after school was out.

Lufkin just completed spring practice last week. They are going to a big 24 team 7 on 7 tournament in Little Rock, Ark. on June 17th-18th. They will play 10 games in two days, then return and host a qualifying tournament in Lufkin on the 25th. Call Outlaw and sign up for the Lufkin tourney, I would like to get a look at your PAM shut down DB's.

I went back and checked, and I see where PAM and Bay City qualified on May 21st at the Texas City QT tournament. Did PAM have spring practice and 7 0n 7 at the same time? Cy Creek and Stafford also qualified on the same day in the Cy Falls tourney.

Mr. Buddy Garrity
05-23-2005, 11:57 AM
Scooter, how did PAM get qualified for the 7 on 7 in College Station so early, I didn't think there was a qualifying tournament until after school was out.

Lufkin just completed spring practice last week. They are going to a big 24 team 7 on 7 tournament in Little Rock, Ark. on June 17th-18th. They will play 10 games in two days, then return and host a qualifying tournament in Lufkin on the 25th. Call Outlaw and sign up for the Lufkin torney, I would like to get a look at your PAM shut down DB's.
Look at the PANews website under sports. They did the same thing last year. They just whip everyone in the H-town area first I guess. C'mon now, you know Colbert isn't gonna let that happen. LOL I'll be surprised if he signs them up or lets someone else sign them up. And if its a qualifying tourney we already qualified.

PackAttack2005
05-23-2005, 12:04 PM
Aww, come on man, you need to get your boys up here and strut your stuff against some good ol' East Texas competition.

Hey, scooter you guys are the PAM ........... what? I don't even know your mascot.

Mr. Buddy Garrity
05-23-2005, 12:06 PM
Aww, come on man, you need to get your boys up here and strut your stuff against some good ol' East Texas competition.

Hey, scooter you guys are the PAM ........... what? I don't even know your mascot.
P.A. Memorial Titans.

Mr. Buddy Garrity
05-23-2005, 12:08 PM
4 of 64 tickets punched to State

May 21, 2005 -- Four of 64 slots have been reserved for the 2005 7-on-7 State Championship in July, following the season-opening weekend of State Qualifying Tournaments earlier today.

(For a comprehensive 7-on-7 schedule and results from SQTs from May through July as well as SQT qualifiers at each venue dating back to 2003, please click to http://texasfootball.com/7on7_schedule.html.)

In Texas City south of Houston, 4A Bay City and 5A Port Arthur Memorial gained automatic bids to the 64-team 7-on-7 State Championship. Bay City won the 16-team event with a 40-26 victory over the Titans.

5A La Porte and 5A Cy-Fair also won their respective pools, with Port Arthur Memorial defeating La Porte, 39-6, in one semifinal, and Bay City winning its semifinal game with Cy-Fair, 53-19.

La Porte won the third-place consolation game against Cy-Fair, 32-25.

Notably, both Bay City and Port Arthur Memorial participated in the 2004 7-on-7 State Championship and both advanced to the field of 32 in the event's championship round. Cy-Fair was also among the field of 32, while La Porte was bidding for its first 7-on-7 State Championship berth.

Bay City will have a good squad but WILL get EMBARASS by LaMarque in the playoffs AGAIN! :D

PackAttack2005
05-23-2005, 12:14 PM
Before we meet the Titans on September 9th, Lufkin will have scrimmaged Longview and Humble and played Aldine Eisenhower. We will be ready to make a statement in that game.

Mr. Buddy Garrity
05-23-2005, 12:37 PM
Before we meet the Titans on September 9th, Lufkin will have scrimmaged Longview and Humble and played Aldine Eisenhower. We will be ready to make a statement in that game.You think were not? :D

Mr. Buddy Garrity
05-23-2005, 12:38 PM

Lufkin just completed spring practice last week. They are going to a big 24 team 7 on 7 tournament in Little Rock, Ark. on June 17th-18th. They will play 10 games in two days, then return and host a qualifying tournament in Lufkin on the 25th. Call Outlaw and sign up for the Lufkin tourney, I would like to get a look at your PAM shut down DB's.

I went back and checked, and I see where PAM and Bay City qualified on May 21st at the Texas City QT tournament. Did PAM have spring practice and 7 0n 7 at the same time? Cy Creek and Stafford also qualified on the same day in the Cy Falls tourney.That was after the spring game.

Chief Wahoo
05-23-2005, 05:04 PM
Uh, I think that's why I said ALL teams good luck. ;)

Umm.....PAM will need more than luck..do you believe in miracles? :D :D

Mr. Buddy Garrity
05-24-2005, 07:33 AM
Umm.....PAM will need more than luck..do you believe in miracles? :D :D
If we need more than luck that would be every team also.

sltnusmc
05-28-2005, 10:57 PM
Abilene High Is'nt shy about throwing the ball on anyone.