PDA

View Full Version : Fisher DeBerry(Air Force head coach)

dada
10-26-2005, 11:41 AM
What do you guys think about his comments? I wasnt offended at all. I just think he would have been alright if he said "We need more speed or we ne to recruit more speed" instead of saying we lost because African Americans have more speed. Comments?

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=Apz3oMgzt26QgwkMb_DNANccvrYF?slug=ap-airforce-coachcomments&prov=ap&type=lgns

lonny23
10-26-2005, 12:19 PM
What do you guys think about his comments? I wasnt offended at all. I just think he would have been alright if he said "We need more speed or we ne to recruit more speed" instead of saying we lost because African Americans have more speed. Comments?

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=Apz3oMgzt26QgwkMb_DNANccvrYF?slug=ap-airforce-coachcomments&prov=ap&type=lgns
I'm not offended at all. I'm easily the biggest fan of the Air Force Academy sports program on this board. I was nominated to go to the Academy and those graduates work hand in hand with me when they get done with football.

Fisher DeBerry is a great man. He is a man of great faith and he loves his team. I'm proud he has coached Air Force for more than 20 years. He doesn't mean any harm by it and is just speaking the truth. Most people don't know this, but there are size restrictions for going to the Academy. You can't be over 6'8" and you have to get waivers to be as big as like 260 or 270. There goes the chance to dominate in football and basketball. Air Force just got a decent basketball team in the last few years because they play as a team.

They've had a decent football team for years, but aren't as good as they once were and they can't recruit like other colleges. You have to have good behavior, leadership, and great grades to get in. Many kids don't want to go in the military and the top kids want to play for the NFL, not fly planes. The Air Force Academy has never had an overabundance of black players, but blacks only make up about 18% of the regular Air Force to start with. The coach is right in what he said, but it gets frowned upon in our PC environment. Saying black player are fast is a compliment to them and shouldn't be looked at as a negative stereotype.

dada
10-26-2005, 12:24 PM
I'm not offended at all. I'm easily the biggest fan of the Air Force Academy sports program on this board. I was nominated to go to the Academy and those graduates work hand in hand with me when they get done with football.

Fisher DeBerry is a great man. He is a man of great faith and he loves his team. I'm proud he has coached Air Force for more than 20 years. He doesn't mean any harm by it and is just speaking the truth. Most people don't know this, but there are size restrictions for going to the Academy. You can't be over 6'8" and you have to get waivers to be as big as like 260 or 270. There goes the chance tgo dominate in football and basketball. Air Force just got a decent basketball team in the last few years because they play as a team.

They've had a decent football team for years, but aren't as good as they once were and they can't recruit like other colleges. You have to have good behavior, leadership, and great grades to get in. Many kids don't want to go in the military and the top kids want to play for the NFL, not fly planes. The Air Force Academy has never had an overabundance of black players, but blacks only make up about 18% of the regular Air Force to start with. the coach is right in what he said, but it gets frowned upon in our PC environment. Saying black player are fast is a complement to them and shouldn't be looked at as a negative stereotype.
I agree. This PC thing is going over board. He meant no harm in it, but people are saying that his comments about "Blacks being Fast" is on the same level as "Mexicans are Lazy, there arent many black QB's because they aren't smart enough" etc, etc......That's two TOTALLY different things. I think people are over reacting.

Butch Fifield
10-26-2005, 01:17 PM
The Air Force Academy is looking into comments made by longtime football coach Fisher DeBerry, who said black athletes ``run very, very well'' and that the program lacks minority athletes.

shocking. i tell ya, shocking. he says they would be better if they had more black players. ya think?

dada
10-26-2005, 01:24 PM
shocking. i tell ya, shocking. he says they would be better if they had more black players. ya think?
LOL...TRUE...but wrong :)

Hdshrinker
10-26-2005, 01:40 PM

I think we need to get a grip.......on reality. The fact is.....the Black talent is a better talent in many sports, in many positions, and in many cases.... I heard a radio host say he should have said we just need more speed.....we need to get faster....Ok...so don't tell the truth...don't say what America knows... Air Force is too white, we need some black talent in key positions.

How about we do something novel and just tell the truth. How about we forgive ourselves and others for the 60's and move on. Stop tip toeing around such issues and tell it like it is......

I saw it as a compliment to the black athlete.....