PDA

View Full Version : UH spring game.

Pearland 06
04-12-2008, 09:35 PM
I was only able to attend the 1st half of the spring game (have wayyyy too much work to stay the whole time), but here is the analysis of what I saw...

QBs-
Blake Joseph looked better than Case Keenum to me. Joseph had touch and power, while Keenum threw several balls behind his receivers.

RBs-
Andre Kohn impressed me the most. Looked best in space and best between the tackles. Hell, he McGuffied a guy. Justin Johnson looked good too, but Kohn was quicker.

WRs-
LJ Castille was far and away the best to me. He caught a jumpball surrounded by 3 dbs for a touchdown. Tyrone Carrier and Chris Gilbert both looked very solid and gained lots of yacs.

Somehow both the oline and dline both looked good. It sounds counterintuitive, but they did. The biggest weakness I saw was the dbs, but they should get some help with the incoming fish, Kris Johnson and Nick Saenz.

Qbs had the halo in effect, so Keenum's stats are a little deflated, while the sack total is very inflated.

Overall, I am very excite! (in Borat voice, not a typo)

Stats:

Rushing: Andre Kohn 6-34, Justin Johnson 6-15, Jovan Davis 3-5, Jacob Broner 5-3, Terrance Ganaway 2-(-1), Tramaine Dorsey 1-(-5), Blake Joseph 3-(-6), Case Keenum 8-(-6), Team 2-(-20).

Passing: Blake Joseph 37-41-0 421 yards 5 TDs; Case Keenum 28-35-0 205 yards 2 TDs; Austin Elrod 4-4-0 31 yards.

Receiving: Chris Gilbert 11-100 2 TDs; Patrick Edwards 8-46 1 TD (walk on); Mark Hafner 7-90 1 TD; Chaz Rodriguez 6-32 1 TD; Justin Johnson 4-82 1 TD; Andre Kohn 4-43; L.J. Castile 4-39 1 TD; Michael Benson 4-29; Demetrius Woods 3-25; E.J. Smith 2-28; Anthony Reasno 2-18; Tim Monroe 2-17; JoJo Florence 1-48; Blake Patton 1-20; Brian Smelek 1-7; Jacob Broner 1-1.

Sacks: Mamood Barbandi 2, Cody Pree 1, Isaiah Thompson 1, Jasmine Martel 1, Phillip Hunt 1, Billy Hartford 1.

TFLs: Matt Nicholson 2, Philip Hunt 1, Michael Ray 1.

Forced Fumble: Quinte Williams 1

lonny23
04-14-2008, 02:35 AM
Either that offense is All-World or the defense is terrible again.

Pearland Longhorn
04-14-2008, 04:26 AM

Spot on analysis. Those look like the stats from the Tech scrimmage :eek:

Pearland 06
04-14-2008, 02:46 PM

A little of both.

Keep in mind it was 1v2s. So a lot of the big plays came against the 2nd team, but UH's defense has not (in recent years) exactly been amazing...

Also, one of our starting DLs was out (Ell Ash). Not sure of the reason, but if it was injury, it was not serious (saw him walking around today).

Philip Hunt on the DL is going to have a big year.

Obviously, the strength of our team is the passing game, while the weakness is defensive backfield. Hopefully Kris Johnson (Texas City) and Nick Saenz (Pearland) will show up ready to play in the fall.

lonny23
04-15-2008, 02:57 AM
Spot on analysis. Those look like the stats from the Tech scrimmage :eek:
That's not Tech this year. The defense is stomping a mudhole on the offense most of the time.

That is not an indictment of the offense, either. They're pretty good in their own right.

HUM398
04-15-2008, 03:58 AM

Secondary sucks...But the Front 7 are very agressive. Against Tulsa, they will loose by 20 odd points.