PDA

View Full Version : Russell Shepard

AHSeagles
04-09-2008, 04:26 PM
I just finished watching a highlight video of this kid and all I have to say is WOW!:eek: Incredible runner and athlete, but I think the entire clip only showed him throwing the ball 3 times. To anyone who has watched this kid throw, what kind of arm does he have? Is he as bad as Chiles at tu, who I hear can't hit the broad side of a barn, or does he have the potential to play QB in a non-zone read system at the next level?

AHSeagles
04-09-2008, 04:30 PM
Sorry for the duplicate thread my computer wasn't working right.

jakerz
04-09-2008, 05:02 PM
He's comparable to Chiles in college.

ThEgReAtOnE
04-09-2008, 07:09 PM
He's comparable to Chiles in college.

If Chiles and Shepard want to play QB in college, they'll have to play for teams like Oregon, Michigan or West Virginia. The opportunity is there!

MemorialMustangs
04-09-2008, 08:08 PM
If Chiles and Shepard want to play QB in college, they'll have to play for teams like Oregon, Michigan or West Virginia. The opportunity is there!

Shepard is 99% likely to go to LSU... sayin

KT1ss24
04-09-2008, 09:01 PM
Sorry for the duplicate thread my computer wasn't working right.

Same here; my computer posted the same post twice on the other thread. Well if this is the one being used I might as well copy and paste to this one.

I think every one recruiting him is saying he can have a shot at qb so tht he is swooned onto their campus. Look at his stats if you dont get to watch him play; 795 yards passing in 13-14 games with 7 tds, thts about 60 yds a game. He's a great athlete and would be a tremendously productive player at slot or somewhat like Maclin at Mizzou is used, but other than that.... When I saw him play I wasn't just displeased by his passing game, I was disgusted. He will dominate next year along with Lipscomb but I'd be astonished to see him get more than 1100 through the air and even more astonished if he doesn't get moved from Qb a year after landing on whatever campus that get is lucky enough to get him.

AHSeagles
04-10-2008, 06:14 PM
Thanks for all the info.

jakerz
04-10-2008, 07:14 PM
Same here; my computer posted the same post twice on the other thread. Well if this is the one being used I might as well copy and paste to this one.

I think every one recruiting him is saying he can have a shot at qb so tht he is swooned onto their campus. Look at his stats if you dont get to watch him play; 795 yards passing in 13-14 games with 7 tds, thts about 60 yds a game. He's a great athlete and would be a tremendously productive player at slot or somewhat like Maclin at Mizzou is used, but other than that.... When I saw him play I wasn't just displeased by his passing game, I was disgusted. He will dominate next year along with Lipscomb but I'd be astonished to see him get more than 1100 through the air and even more astonished if he doesn't get moved from Qb a year after landing on whatever campus that get is lucky enough to get him.

Thanks, finally someone agrees with me. He completes about 3-5 passes a game. No one is questioning his "play making skill", which is why I think he should move to WR. He could make it to the NFL easily, IMO. He's Crabtree in the making! :eek:

KT2000
04-11-2008, 07:19 AM
I saw Shepard play as a sophomore and a junior. He has a live arm, but I'll be looking for a big improvement in his accuracy this fall. Ridge will only attempt 10 passes on a good day, so the system itself may work against his development in that respect. Players need reps.

When he pulls the ball, he is one of the best I've seen at the high school level with the ball in his hands. He's most dangerous when he's improving. He's very quick laterally, and can separate in the open field.

rodjohns
04-11-2008, 08:26 AM
In last years game against Klein in the 4th qtr. they moved him out of the QB spot and had him playing wideout. He is a very good WR, he is also very effective as a running QB (plays alot like T-Rob from Oak) Arm is not very accurate but when you only pass a few times a game it is difficult to get better.

Last year is last year....Klein plays Cy Ridge in week 1 at the Berry Center. (I heard that from a good source but if a Cy Ridge person can validate, it will be official) I take Klein in this one but it will come down to controlling his running atttack, like last year.

KT1ss24
04-11-2008, 09:54 AM
Thanks, finally someone agrees with me. He completes about 3-5 passes a game. No one is questioning his "play making skill", which is why I think he should move to WR. He could make it to the NFL easily, IMO. He's Crabtree in the making! :eek:

Reminds me of the days (even though I was still suckin on pacifiers) when every one ran some sort of wishbone option offense. The best athlete, not the best quarterback, would run the show. The kid has tons of talent and would make it to the D1 level at numerous other positions but his arm wouldnt win any games. His hands and legs will blow the game open but his arm is unproductive.

Hoodleboy80
04-11-2008, 12:04 PM
It will definitely be interesting to see what he can do with a year of college coaching under his belt. Are more reps and a different game plan what he needs to become a successful QB as both a runner and a passer?

cajun
04-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Who cares how well he throws...He can recruit....Why do you think we got him...:D

We might get Jamarkus McFarland and Craig Loston thanks to the no throwing Shep...

Of course I'm kidding(kinda)...

ktchamp97
04-11-2008, 02:58 PM
I'm one of the few, apparently, who thinks he can be an effective passer. He has the tools and the desire, he just needs the reps and experience. He goes to Austin every weekend to workout with former NFL Pro Bowl QB Jeff Blake, so you know he's getting great instruction. I expect his passing numbers to improve dramatically this fall.

TrojanHorse03
04-11-2008, 03:04 PM
I'm one of the few, apparently, who thinks he can be an effective passer. He has the tools and the desire, he just needs the reps and experience. He goes to Austin every weekend to workout with former NFL Pro Bowl QB Jeff Blake, so you know he's getting great instruction. I expect his passing numbers to improve dramatically this fall.

I second that entire post.

cyfallsbooster2
04-14-2008, 11:05 AM

The kid can throw. I think with the legs they have on that team, the coach just wants to play it safe and keep the ball on the ground. That dosen't do much for developing the kids in my opinion. But then again, I was not impressed with Will Coles' passing ability and look where they ended their season in '06.

KT2000
04-14-2008, 11:13 AM
The kid can throw. I think with the legs they have on that team, the coach just wants to play it safe and keep the ball on the ground. That dosen't do much for developing the kids in my opinion. But then again, I was not impressed with Will Coles' passing ability and look where they ended their season in '06.

Cole wasn't a great passer, but he didn't need to be with the talent around him. His receivers were unbelievable athletes. Dez Briscoe made an instant impact at Kansas last year.

I think the potential is there for Shepard due to his arm strength. He just has to harness that somehow, so that defenses really have to respect his ability in the air as well. He will be that much harder to defend on the ground when he does.

ktCarl
04-14-2008, 11:29 AM
Cole wasn't a great passer, but he didn't need to be with the talent around him. His receivers were unbelievable athletes. Dez Briscoe made an instant impact at Kansas last year.

I think the potential is there for Shepard due to his arm strength. He just has to harness that somehow, so that defenses really have to respect his ability in the air as well. He will be that much harder to defend on the ground when he does.

Does Cy-Ridge participate in 7 on 7? That would help him and the receiving corps this season.

KT2000
04-14-2008, 11:38 AM
Does Cy-Ridge participate in 7 on 7? That would help him and the receiving corps this season.

If they do, I haven't seen them and I go to the Cypress tourney every year. Cy Falls, Langham Creek, Cy Creek and Cy Fair usually have good 7 on 7 teams. They usually represent the district at state.

rodjohns
04-14-2008, 11:39 AM

Please do not give them any helpful hints. It is hard enough controlling the ground attack. Cy Falls and Cy Creek are both hosting SQT's you would think that Cy Ridge would participate.

cyfallsbooster2
04-14-2008, 12:42 PM

Come to think of it, I have never heard of them having a 7o7 team. Must not be any dads willing to commit the time for coaching.

KT2000
04-14-2008, 12:49 PM
Come to think of it, I have never heard of them having a 7o7 team. Must not be any dads willing to commit the time for coaching.

I know some schools just aren't enamored with the concept of 7 on 7, and don't want their players risked. I don't know if Ridge falls in that category or not.

Hoodleboy80
04-14-2008, 01:02 PM

Not to get off topic, but do dads coach the CyFalls 7 on 7 team? I'm just curious, as Stratford's is coached by former players (usually 3 or so years removed).

cyfallsbooster2
04-14-2008, 01:08 PM
Not to get off topic, but do dads coach the CyFalls 7 on 7 team? I'm just curious, as Stratford's is coached by former players (usually 3 or so years removed).

Typically the dads.

Fleeman93
04-14-2008, 01:30 PM
Typically the dads.

Probably why they haven't done that much.

:D:D:D

rodjohns
04-14-2008, 02:01 PM
Probably why they haven't done that much.

:D:D:D

Ouch...:eek:

RidgeGridFan
04-14-2008, 02:46 PM
Russell and several other "skill" position leaders on the football team (Hassan Lipscomb, etc.) are very involved in track during the spring. In fact, they won the sprint relay at district this past weekend and had several qualifiers for the upcoming region meet. Russell competed in the long jump and high jump as well as at least one of the sprints. (I think he was in the 100m & Hassan in the 200m.) Don't know if this would contribute to their not being heavily involved in 7o7 (or at all) or not, but it could be a factor.

cyfallsbooster2
04-15-2008, 09:41 PM
Russell and several other "skill" position leaders on the football team (Hassan Lipscomb, etc.) are very involved in track during the spring. In fact, they won the sprint relay at district this past weekend and had several qualifiers for the upcoming region meet. Russell competed in the long jump and high jump as well as at least one of the sprints. (I think he was in the 100m & Hassan in the 200m.) Don't know if this would contribute to their not being heavily involved in 7o7 (or at all) or not, but it could be a factor.

Could be except that 7o7 occurs during the summer.....after school is out.

cyfallsbooster2
04-15-2008, 09:42 PM
Ouch...:eek:

What ain't true don't hurt.;)

How has Klein done?

rodjohns
04-16-2008, 08:31 AM
What ain't true don't hurt.;)

How has Klein done?

we will be in the Cy Falls SQT on May 17th I will let you know after we win it...:D