PDA

View Full Version : Will Abilene High have a good team?

Hitman49
04-06-2008, 05:51 PM
Just wondering how many they return from last years team? Do they have the type of talent that can play with Belle Glades?

AHSeagles
04-06-2008, 05:56 PM
Just wondering how many they return from last years team? Do they have the type of talent that can play with Belle Glades?

Abilene returns 7 on defense including state defensive MVP Chris Williams. They lose alot of starters on offense but return alot of guys that saw significant playing time. I believe they do have the type of talent that can play with Belle Glades. We played them in 7 on 7 last summer and granted it's not real football, but we did beat them. Our defense was able to stop them on several different occasions and our offense was able to put up the points.

AE 8008
04-06-2008, 07:21 PM
Abilene will be fine. as AHSeagles pointed out, the strongpoint of the Eagles was their defense this year and alot of it is coming back. O will be bringing in alot of new starters, but many who have seen lots of playing time. It will hurt not having Lackey at the helm, but qb Stephen Warren (coach warrens son) split time with lackey last year in pre-district and got plenty of experience in the 2nd half of several games. wideouts will include seniors austin turman, john reynolds, tevin wiley, and colton law, all who saw pt on the V last year. nathan ashlock is a great athlete who willingly allowed sophomore karsten goodman to start at safety for the betterment of the team and abilene's future, but i wouldnt be surprised if he moved to WR or OLB. he's very fast and has pretty good hands, having 9 INT's his sophomore season on JV. RB Keithy Flye will be gone, but Zach Bass returns and is solid. he will more than likely have 1000 yards by seasons end. and if what i hear is true, sophomore-to-be RB Herschel Simms is supposed to be Abilene's next "Chris Williams-Like" athlete. as for offensive line, Sr. Alec Egan returns but missed most of last season with a broken ankle. Jr. Drew Carroll (TE Matt Carroll's younger brother) will likely be another starter who took snaps for injured players last season. Santos Escobedo (Sr.) will be the center unless he is replaced by a jr. Mitchell Moser (Sr.) will start at guard, and saw limited PT on the V this year. as for the rest, i do not know.

Ratings For the Offense
QB: A- (Warren is solid and saw time, but mostly against 2's and 3's. i believe he will move up to an A after he proves himself against some solid 1st teamers such as belle glades)

RB: A (This is if the rumor about Simms is true. If not, then i'd have it around B+)

WR: B (Lose alot with McDow and James graduating, but have solid kids who can get the job done. I don't see one that could be a legitimate deep threat, but Abilene's offense doesnt require that so much anyways.)

Offensive Line: B- (Has several young kids returning with some PT in place of injured starters, but lacks size. Speed makes up for lack of size though. More than likely the weak point on the Abilene Offense, but that was the general assumption about last seasons O-Line with Kegan Carey, Grant Zeller, and Mitch Harvey graduating. Last seasons O-Line, despite many injuries, played fantastically and was possibly the Eagle's strongpoint when all were healthy. I look for next year's O-Line to be much the same.)

AHSeagles
04-06-2008, 10:08 PM
Abilene will be fine. as AHSeagles pointed out, the strongpoint of the Eagles was their defense this year and alot of it is coming back. O will be bringing in alot of new starters, but many who have seen lots of playing time. It will hurt not having Lackey at the helm, but qb Stephen Warren (coach warrens son) split time with lackey last year in pre-district and got plenty of experience in the 2nd half of several games. wideouts will include seniors austin turman, john reynolds, tevin wiley, and colton law, all who saw pt on the V last year. nathan ashlock is a great athlete who willingly allowed sophomore karsten goodman to start at safety for the betterment of the team and abilene's future, but i wouldnt be surprised if he moved to WR or OLB. he's very fast and has pretty good hands, having 9 INT's his sophomore season on JV. RB Keithy Flye will be gone, but Zach Bass returns and is solid. he will more than likely have 1000 yards by seasons end. and if what i hear is true, sophomore-to-be RB Herschel Simms is supposed to be Abilene's next "Chris Williams-Like" athlete. as for offensive line, Sr. Alec Egan returns but missed most of last season with a broken ankle. Jr. Drew Carroll (TE Matt Carroll's younger brother) will likely be another starter who took snaps for injured players last season. Santos Escobedo (Sr.) will be the center unless he is replaced by a jr. Mitchell Moser (Sr.) will start at guard, and saw limited PT on the V this year. as for the rest, i do not know.

Ratings For the Offense
QB: A- (Warren is solid and saw time, but mostly against 2's and 3's. i believe he will move up to an A after he proves himself against some solid 1st teamers such as belle glades)

RB: A (This is if the rumor about Simms is true. If not, then i'd have it around B+)

WR: B (Lose alot with McDow and James graduating, but have solid kids who can get the job done. I don't see one that could be a legitimate deep threat, but Abilene's offense doesnt require that so much anyways.)

Offensive Line: B- (Has several young kids returning with some PT in place of injured starters, but lacks size. Speed makes up for lack of size though. More than likely the weak point on the Abilene Offense, but that was the general assumption about last seasons O-Line with Kegan Carey, Grant Zeller, and Mitch Harvey graduating. Last seasons O-Line, despite many injuries, played fantastically and was possibly the Eagle's strongpoint when all were healthy. I look for next year's O-Line to be much the same.)

Ashlock did move to OLB. So it's him and Justin Carroll on the outside with Chris and Parker McCay in the middle. That's a pretty awesome looking group of linebackers. As for Simms, the hype is all true. He played with the JV as a freshman and tore up opponents. I watched him squat 400 lbs and run a legit 4.5 40.

AE 8008
04-07-2008, 09:07 AM
Ashlock did move to OLB. So it's him and Justin Carroll on the outside with Chris and Parker McCay in the middle. That's a pretty awesome looking group of linebackers. As for Simms, the hype is all true. He played with the JV as a freshman and tore up opponents. I watched him squat 400 lbs and run a legit 4.5 40.

i assumed Ashlock would, and McCay would be in the middle. thats a BIG group of linebackers. Id dare to say probably the best in the state next year.
Correct me if i am wrong:

Chris Williams 6'1 230 4.6
Justin Carroll 6'2 180 4.7
Parker McCay 6'3 230 dont know 40 time
Nathan Ashlock 6'2 200 4.6

D-5
04-07-2008, 10:11 AM
I will say wrong! Only real proven one is Williams and maybe carroll. the others are all potential. mccay will have to work on mobility, strength and mental toughness from what I hear. this core will have alot to work to do to match some of the years past LB corps. I do think with exception of Mccay the corp is pretty fast!

AE 8008
04-07-2008, 11:41 AM
I will say wrong! Only real proven one is Williams and maybe carroll. the others are all potential. mccay will have to work on mobility, strength and mental toughness from what I hear. this core will have alot to work to do to match some of the years past LB corps. I do think with exception of Mccay the corp is pretty fast!

i dont know about McCay's mental toughness, but the strength is there. i do believe he needs to work on his speed though. i believe this group has the potential to be as good if not better than the previous groups

mojotrain
04-07-2008, 12:59 PM
I can't say about Belle Glades. Abilene has a program. It has been in place for a while. Don't wait for them to drop. If the new district wants to win they must upgrade.

chop44
04-07-2008, 03:10 PM
I think Lackey will be missed more than people think. That kid could really play. Is he going to play football in college? Defense was very impressive last year and with 7 coming back...they should be real good again. Best of luck.

AHSeagles
04-07-2008, 07:20 PM
i assumed Ashlock would, and McCay would be in the middle. thats a BIG group of linebackers. Id dare to say probably the best in the state next year.
Correct me if i am wrong:

Chris Williams 6'1 230 4.6
Justin Carroll 6'2 180 4.7
Parker McCay 6'3 230 dont know 40 time
Nathan Ashlock 6'2 200 4.6

I think Williams ran around a 4.6 4.5 somewhere in there.
I don't know about McCay but I'd assume 4.8.
Carroll ran a high 4.4 low 4.5.
Ashlock had the fastest 40 time at AHS this year with a 4.43 average!:eek:

AHSeagles
04-07-2008, 07:21 PM

You're correct in saying not proven. But on raw potential, this group would be up there with just about any. They're all fast and smart and that's alot of beef up the middle.

eaglefootball11
04-07-2008, 07:47 PM
I think Williams ran around a 4.6 4.5 somewhere in there.
I don't know about McCay but I'd assume 4.8.
Carroll ran a high 4.4 low 4.5.
Ashlock had the fastest 40 time at AHS this year with a 4.43 average!:eek:

McCay doesn't run under a 5.00, Williams is a 4.5, Carrol is a 4.5 Ashlock does have the fastest forty time of the linebackers, but he is sorta ackward doesn't have great lateral quickness. As far as Simms goes he does run a 4.5 as a freshman and actually Maxed out at 500 not 400. The d-line will be so-so if they cant get Butler back on the team. Secondary should be fine but i have no clue who will replace Harris. I dont think Walding can do it because he is looking much like a twig these days.

Offense will stuggle alot. Warren is a good passer in drills but im not sure how he will perform under the lights. Lets pray the O-line gives him time. As far as the O-line goes Alec Egan and Moser look to be the best, Drew Carrol will start but he is very weak for his size. The JV Qb maxed out the same as him in squat. Santos is actually going to guard and Chris Seballos a Jr is going to center. The recievers are small and unproven except Wiley, he should do fine. At running back Bass is lightning quick but not very strong. Zack Mosely the jv running back is solid and So is Simms, both of them fast and very strong.

How the season will go depends on how the Offense responds and develops through the season.

AHSeagles
04-07-2008, 08:01 PM
McCay doesn't run under a 5.00, Williams is a 4.5, Carrol is a 4.5 Ashlock does have the fastest forty time of the linebackers, but he is sorta ackward doesn't have great lateral quickness. As far as Simms goes he does run a 4.5 as a freshman and actually Maxed out at 500 not 400. The d-line will be so-so if they cant get Butler back on the team. Secondary should be fine but i have no clue who will replace Harris. I dont think Walding can do it because he is looking much like a twig these days.

Offense will stuggle alot. Warren is a good passer in drills but im not sure how he will perform under the lights. Lets pray the O-line gives him time. As far as the O-line goes Alec Egan and Moser look to be the best, Drew Carrol will start but he is very weak for his size. The JV Qb maxed out the same as him in squat. Santos is actually going to guard and Chris Seballos a Jr is going to center. The recievers are small and unproven except Wiley, he should do fine. At running back Bass is lightning quick but not very strong. Zack Mosely the jv running back is solid and So is Simms, both of them fast and very strong.

How the season will go depends on how the Offense responds and develops through the season.

I wasn't real sure what McCay ran I was just giving a guess. I think the offense will definitely be the weak point of the team, but I don't think they'll hurt us down the stretch. Coach Warren always seems to find ways to put the ball in end zone and I predict this year won't be much different. I think we'll have to rely more on the run game rather than the passing game however. The O-Line might not give a whole lot of throwing time, but they have that zone run down pretty good and like you said we have 3 solid running backs to carry the load.

eaglefootball11
04-07-2008, 08:11 PM
Yeah, Im just one of those fans who is sorta negative before i see the actual results. Spring will help give us a better picture.

AE 8008
04-07-2008, 10:43 PM
I think Lackey will be missed more than people think. That kid could really play. Is he going to play football in college? Defense was very impressive last year and with 7 coming back...they should be real good again. Best of luck.

Lackey - WTAMU last i heard. might play either qb or safety.

AE 8008
04-07-2008, 10:43 PM

please dont tell me PJ Butler is off the team....

AE 8008
04-07-2008, 10:46 PM
plus, i wouldnt be surprised to see Butler (if he's still on the team) move to defensive end along with Jr. Hunter Cooke and see John Paul Englerth (6'3 280ish) plug up the middle. the farm boy squatted over 600 last i heard

Warbird
04-07-2008, 10:50 PM
plus, i wouldnt be surprised to see Butler (if he's still on the team) move to defensive end along with Jr. Hunter Cooke and see John Paul Englerth (6'3 280ish) plug up the middle. the farm boy squatted over 600 last i heard

JP did more than that; he broke Marcus Brooks' old record.

eaglefootball11
04-07-2008, 10:56 PM
JP is very strong indeed. He also is very immature. He has been sent to iss more than once because he was playing his gameboy in class. I dont think he is mature enough to play the game. I know the kid personally. Great kid but his intellect doesn't come close to matching his brute strength. PJ is off the team until his grades come in at the end of this week. The kid is a great athlete but has a serious issue with his priorities.

EagleDude73
04-07-2008, 11:12 PM
If they beat SLC.

AE 8008
04-08-2008, 07:18 AM
JP did more than that; he broke Marcus Brooks' old record.

wow thats incredible...and only a junior this year

AE 8008
04-08-2008, 07:19 AM
If they beat SLC.

then i suppose there are only 3 good teams in the past 6 years.

Hitman49
04-08-2008, 11:41 AM
Tell me more about that rb and the defense.

slcdragonfan
04-08-2008, 01:16 PM
then i suppose there are only 3 good teams in the past 6 years.

er, 4. ;)

eaglefootball11
04-08-2008, 07:00 PM

Simms benches 275, squats 500, made the A-high record board for all his total lifts combined. I believe he is 4th on the total board (Thats out of all the AHS players). 4.5 forty, 4.1 shuttle time. He is very smart and competes in other sports. A pretty good trackster I might add. He won city in the shot-put last year as an 8th grader(one of the many events he won city in). He was pulled up to the JV this year and did very well. He probally had 250 yards against cooper in the 56-6 thrashing.

Very talented but has had problems with injuries. If he works hard he will have people saying Who was the running back of the 04 team?;). He is cocky and has a tough time being patient. He wants to much to fast, he just needs to settle down and buy into the program.

AE 8008
04-09-2008, 08:11 AM
er, 4. ;)

haha right!:p

AE 8008
04-09-2008, 08:16 AM

what do you want to konw about the defense?

D-5
04-09-2008, 08:59 AM
Simms benches 275, squats 500, made the A-high record board for all his total lifts combined. I believe he is 4th on the total board (Thats out of all the AHS players). 4.5 forty, 4.1 shuttle time. He is very smart and competes in other sports. A pretty good trackster I might add. He won city in the shot-put last year as an 8th grader(one of the many events he won city in). He was pulled up to the JV this year and did very well. He probally had 250 yards against cooper in the 56-6 thrashing.

Very talented but has had problems with injuries. If he works hard he will have people saying Who was the running back of the 04 team?;). He is cocky and has a tough time being patient. He wants to much to fast, he just needs to settle down and buy into the program.

Yeah heard the same thing from someone this weekend, good talent! but has a ways to go in maturity! He needs to buy into the program and know his place. A-high has had his kind before Im sure and will win with him or without him.

AHSeagles
04-09-2008, 04:03 PM
Yeah heard the same thing from someone this weekend, good talent! but has a ways to go in maturity! He needs to buy into the program and know his place. A-high has had his kind before Im sure and will win with him or without him.

Actually I don't think too many teams in the state come by his kind very often. I agree we'll win with or without him but I think we would definitely be better with him.

eaglefootball11
04-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Actually I don't think too many teams in the state come by his kind very often. I agree we'll win with or without him but I think we would definitely be better with him.

agreed

D-5
04-09-2008, 10:38 PM
I believe the kid is very much in the mold of former RB "sneezy" beltran as far as having raw talent as a freshman. From my understanding it was not until end of spring ball or even two-a-days before sneezy was on varsity and then probably 2 or 3 games before he started. So the Sims kid needs to be patient evidently, take the coaching and be ready to go when his chance comes. The same info I got this past weekend is he is not very tough right now and is always hurt, better get past that. With football there will be pain.

AE 8008
04-10-2008, 07:34 AM
I believe the kid is very much in the mold of former RB "sneezy" beltran as far as having raw talent as a freshman. From my understanding it was not until end of spring ball or even two-a-days before sneezy was on varsity and then probably 2 or 3 games before he started. So the Sims kid needs to be patient evidently, take the coaching and be ready to go when his chance comes. The same info I got this past weekend is he is not very tough right now and is always hurt, better get past that. With football there will be pain.

well he's definately got talent. look at his bloodline, former AHS RB dmedrick harrell was his cousin. if only harrell had kept his grades and attitude together...

hopefully simms can move past that

D-5
04-10-2008, 08:49 AM
Never heard of the Harrel kid, so must not be that good and from my info they are of no relation

eaglefan4life
04-10-2008, 01:31 PM
Never heard of the Harrel kid, so must not be that good and from my info they are of no relation

he was on the varsity in 05 when he was a sophomore mainly on special teams becuase casey bell and x-beaver and jayson brooks were also seniors that year. He was the front runner for the starting running back spot in 06 but couldn't stay out of trouble. he was very fast very quick and pretty strong if my memory serves me right

D-5
04-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Well for the Eagles sake lets hope the Freshman boy doesn't follow down the same road.

eaglefootball11
04-10-2008, 05:14 PM
He is very smart and stays out of trouble. His main problems are toughness and attitude as earlier stated.

AHSeagles
04-10-2008, 06:12 PM

Ahh good ole Sneezy. That kid was amazing, it's ashamed he never did anything past high school. But I know the Simms kid a little and he's definitely not a trouble maker. He's no goody good, but he won't end up like the afore mentioned Harrell.

AE 8008
04-10-2008, 09:37 PM

Harrell split time with Beaver and Bell at RB on the 05 team for the first two games. i think he had 3 touchdowns in the 1st two games, two i know for sure against San Angelo Central before he got injured and ended up having to sit the rest of the season because of the injury. Jason Brooks, originally OLB, moved into the RB position after Harrell was hurt. Because of attitude and trouble, he never set foot on the field again after the san angelo game. he came back to football for a brief period during the offseason of his junior year, but once again didnt last long.

coriv
04-11-2008, 05:27 AM
There were some pretty damn good freshman games last year. Midland High, Permian, and OHS have some very good freshman as well. Hopefully Abilene will be back when these kids are seniors.

BlackAttack
04-11-2008, 10:30 AM
Well for the Eagles sake lets hope the Freshman boy doesn't follow down the same road.

So basically, if Warren can keep the thugs in line, Abilene will be pretty good.

Even 1 loss in the new district will be a disgrace. :eek:

AE 8008
04-11-2008, 11:47 AM
So basically, if Warren can keep the thugs in line, Abilene will be pretty good.

it has already been discussed that simms is not a thug, although his older cousin may have been

KT2000
04-11-2008, 12:01 PM

That's a bit much.

BlackAttack
04-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Sorry, I forgot to use the D-5 /D-5 tags in my post. ;)

eaglefootball11
04-11-2008, 01:48 PM

wow, BlackAttack just stay out of this thread. You were the same guy who enjoyed getting things riled up in the other AHS thread about Chris Williams.

BlackAttack
04-11-2008, 04:54 PM
wow, BlackAttack just stay out of this thread. You were the same guy who enjoyed getting things riled up in the other AHS thread about Chris Williams.

As I recall, you were the one getting things riled up by accusing people of recruiting and other nonsense, just because someone dared post a video link. I then responded to your nonsense with some of my own. In this case, D-5 is notorious for making obnoxious posts. I was just giving the lad a dose of his own medicine. Carry on. :D

AHSeagles
04-11-2008, 05:10 PM
Man do we have to separate you two again?:D

eaglefootball11
04-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Haha, no I wont let him get the best of me this time.;)

eaglefootball11
04-11-2008, 06:46 PM
As I recall, you were the one getting things riled up by accusing people of recruiting and other nonsense, just because someone dared post a video link. I then responded to your nonsense with some of my own. In this case, D-5 is notorious for making obnoxious posts. I was just giving the lad a dose of his own medicine. Carry on. :D

Also BlackAttack is right im just as guilty if not more guilty when it comes to the other thread.:p