PDA

View Full Version : I need help with my Paper

PurpleNation
10-25-2005, 01:04 PM
Can sombody throw my a few Ideas about illegeal supplments what they can do. Maybe some supplments that are not illegal but can have life changing effects. Sorry I am hung up on this paper it is for my english class st SFA.

wide-e-wide
10-25-2005, 01:07 PM
Define supplements?
Like vitamins...or like Barry Bonds' flaxseed oil?

PurpleNation
10-25-2005, 01:08 PM
Define supplements?
Like vitamins...or like Barry Bonds' flaxseed oil?

Like Barry Bonds type of supplments but if you know alot about Vitams I could work that in my paper. Thanks.

wide-e-wide
10-25-2005, 01:22 PM
Focus on the addiction associated with steroid use.
Both physical and mental...
The effects on the body...i.e. acne,impotence, making your head
the size of a pumpkin like Barry Bonds...all that stuff.

dragons08
10-25-2005, 10:05 PM
plus how roids weaken your tendons

mad_fan
10-25-2005, 10:24 PM
Plus how, like LSD, they can still be found in your body YEARS after use. Like LSD the kidneys and liver can not break them down.

ThEgReAtOnE
10-25-2005, 10:44 PM
Here ya go!! This may help!!

Goodluck on the paper!! ;)

Human beings have an innate sense of competition between each other. Whether it is in the work place, in school, or on the field every person is trying to outdo the other. The question which arises from this sense of competition is, how far will a human being go to be the best? Athletes will use any means to be one up on the competition. This is where Anabolic-androgenic steroids come into the scene. Anabolic-androgenic steroids are affecting people of all ages including America’s youth and have become a social and economical issue among athletes and sports fans in the United States.

These steroids are used among most athletes to increase muscle performance and other aspects of the individual’s athletic ability. The word “anabolic” has to deal with muscle building and “androgenic” refers to increased masculine characteristics. These steroids work just like testosterone does naturally in males. Testosterone is responsible for some changes in the male body during adolescence and puberty. Androgenic effects of these steroids are the ones that develop increased aggressiveness mainly. The Anabolic effects allow for faster and bigger growth of muscle, red blood cells, and enhanced neural conduction. These steroids work by attaching to muscle cells and releasing the certain types of proteins which allow for this muscle growth and allow for the hormones to be released in the body. (Fahey, 1998)

There are over one hundred different anabolic steroids which have been developed. Most of the steroids require a prescription to be used legally in the United States. In 1990, steroids were reclassified as a schedule 3 controlled substance and were also banned in sports competition. (Lymperis, 2000) This is the reason why most of the steroids are imported illegally in other countries. Some of the common anabolic-androgenic steroids which are used include Anadrol, Oxandrin, and Winstrol. These are the most popular orally taken steroids.(steroids are the most popular which are taken orally. The most popular injected steroids are Deca-Durabolin, Durabolin, Depo-Testosterone, and Equipoise. The steroids which are taken orally are for athletes who need to pass a drug test because these types of steroids clear the body within a month. The steroids which are injected could possibly stay in the body for up to a year. (Leshner, 2004) These are the most popular of the Anabolic-androgenic steroids which are used by mostly athletes. Along with these Anabolic-androgenic steroids there are supplements which aid in muscle growth as well. There are approximately 89 brands of these supplements which exist and offer over 300 products which are legal to buy in any store which sells them. These supplements may not all be banned in professional sports which is why they do not come into play when discussed among the Anabolic-androgenic steroid controversy which exists in today’s society. (Conrad, 2001)

Steroids have many side affects as well as social and economic impacts on society. Some of the side effects are aggressiveness, enlargement of the prostate gland, enlargement of the clitoris (in women), premature baldness, paranoia, acne, breast development, and high blood pressure. (Ungerleider, 2001) These side affects, in the athlete’s psyche, are well worth the cause if it will give the edge on the competition.

The social and economical impacts of steroids are felt throughout the country. A major social issue is the use of these steroids by children in high school and even middle school. The use of steroids is affecting children. Anytime a substance is being used by children, we must make it a major issue and also a main priority, so that we can help those who are going to be the future of our country one day. A recent survey conducted by the National Institute of Drug Abuse shows that 2.5% of eight graders, 3% of tenth graders, and 3.5% students in twelfth grade tried steroids at least once in that year of the education. (U.S. National Library of Medicine, 2004) These statistics show that children are even trying the steroids as young as thirteen or fourteen years of age.

There are many possible reasons for abuse starting at such a young age. One reason could be to allow the student to receive a college education. How does a student who does not receive good grades get into college? The answer is sports. If a student is in the elite group of recruits in there respected sport they can conceivably attend almost any college in the nation. This concept is the most reasonable among steroid use of high school athletes. Many athletes who are at the top echelon of their sport receive full athletic scholarships. A full scholarship can be estimated at about 120,000 dollars at some of the more expensive institutes of higher education. The student saves there parents college tuition costs. The steroids enhance the student’s athletic ability so it is possible to receive a college sports scholarship. It also can be the parent’s idea for the son or daughter to start abusing steroids. The morals involved in that plan do not exist. The parent has no respect for their children’s well being. However, it is not always the parent’s fault. Students do take them on their own. Many times it is in part of pressure to attend a good school and pressure from the parent to be the best. This issue involves both social and economical standards.

The issue of steroid abuse with athletes in the professional leagues is an entirely different issue. Steroid abuse is not greatly mentioned in most of the professional sports except baseball. Socially this has affected many Americans and children who look up to these professional athletes. Major League Baseball players have fought this controversy for many years. This controversy started when Mark McGwire was taking Andro in the year he broke Babe Ruth’s record for home runs in a season. (Johnson, 2003, pg.124) The Mark McGwire controversy started the steroids in baseball issue. This started the negative impact that steroid use in baseball would have on society. Society began to question the legitimacy of the baseball player’s abilities because of the belief that steroids are an illegal substance and should not be used at all. Ken Caminiti, the National League's most valuable player in 1996, who noted that at least half of the major league players use the drugs, died October 10, 2004 of a Heart Attack. He admitted to using steroids in his MVP season in which he hit 239 homers, 130 RBI and a .326 batting average. (Sheinin, 2004) No one in society can view this as a legitimate record and have respect for him when his career was tarnished by steroid abuse. This affects many children as well who look up to these sports players. Society views baseball now as a sport which has many issues to fix.

Steroids are also used for boys who want to be bigger and have a better self image. A study showed that between 28% and 68% of all normal-weight adolescent boys are trying to gain weight and have more muscle mass to improve their image. (McCreary & Sasse, 2000, pg. 297) These boys will start taking these steroids regardless of there affects and will risk their health to look good to other people in society. By the way society portrays well built males such as great people and the standard it seems as though that a person which is not built like this is not made the right way. It is the same idea which make women want to become skinny and fit like the supermodels which are depicted on the magazine covers.

Steroids also have become a black market item as well. Steroids affects are an economical issue just as are many of the illegal drugs in our country. They affect our taxes and our country’s budget by what the government spends to regulate these drugs the best to the government’s ability. The easiest way to purchase steroids is off the street just like any other illegal drug. Steroids have become a huge black market drug especially in Tijuana, Mexico where they are legal to sell over the counter just like Tylenol is here in the United States. Much of the illegal steroids come from Mexico and are smuggled into the country across the borders. Federal officials estimate the illegal steroid market at $400 million. (Fields, 2004, pg. 101) At that estimate, steroids can be compared to many other illegal drugs when discussing illegal drug distribution and smuggling.

Steroids are slowly becoming a much bigger issue than most people expected. Although the steroids do make the user have more muscle mass, jump higher, and run faster. The people who use them have to realize that they are illegal. Society has been allowing steroids to become one of the drugs which are somewhat overlooked as being illegal and immoral to use. This is happening because there are so many types of Anabolic-androgenic steroids and the different supplements which are produced. Some students in high school and middle school have tried to use steroids. The parents are just as much to blame as the kids for that happening. Steroids are going to continue to be a major problem in the athletic world as long as they exist. The human being is driven to be competitive by nature. Athletes should set the example because this is where young children get the ideas that these steroids are needed to get to that level instead of hard work and determination. The steroids allow for pure competition to be ruined and even some people’s lives. Finally, steroids should be taken off the market and be classified as a top level illegal substance which would definitely reduce the number of steroid abusers by a great percentage.

dragons08
10-25-2005, 10:47 PM
he needed help, not the whole paper..good work though! i now know if i ever need an essay writen who to "ask for help"

ThEgReAtOnE
10-25-2005, 11:07 PM
he needed help, not the whole paper..good work though! i now know if i ever need an essay writen who to "ask for help"

LOL!! Ya....all you need do is ask!! ;)

dragons08
10-25-2005, 11:09 PM
LOL!! Ya....all you need do is ask!! ;)
i got this ahh essay due over Farehnehit 451, its due nov2

ThEgReAtOnE
10-25-2005, 11:35 PM
i got this ahh essay due over Farehnehit 451, its due nov2

Read through this and see if it helps you!!

Goodluck!!

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury is a novel about the descent into super-individualism through mass governmental brainwashing. The book begins while the main character, Guy Montag, is burning a house for concealing contraband literature. It portraits the pleasure he derives from this act of mindless destruction. After this work though an eccentric neighbor girl who does not fit the status quo confronts him. She begins to ask him questions that force him to think about things he has taken for granted before. The story progresses as this girl continually influences him until a car killed her. The next time he is called to incinerate a house, he ends up taking a book and watching an old lady burn to death. This event coupled with the death of the neighbor girl influence him to seek out a book-reading professor he had met previous to this story. The professor and him begin to plot the downfall of society and the Firemen. Just when you think things are gonna work out, he is ordered to burn his house after which he burns his boss with a flame-thrower. This makes him a fugitive from justice. He then flees from the scene and ends up evading the manhunt. After a while he meets up with other people who are fugitives because of their literary learning. The next day the city he fled from is destroyed in an atomic blast and the bums go in to help the survivors.

a) Man against Man: The only instance in the story that fits this category is the conflict Guy has with his boss. His boss, Beatty begins to suspect Guy's illegal reading of contraband and begins to take steps for Guy's downfall. First of all Beatty is much smarter and well learned than Guy so he begins to play mind games to try and trip him up. He also forces Guy to burn his house and tries to arrest him. Guy comes out on top and wins the conflict by setting his boss on fire.

b) Man against Himself: One good example of this type of conflict is the inner turmoil in Guy Montag. This conflict was started by his talks with the neighbor girl. She awakened a self-thinking side of him that was at odds with his brainwashed, socially acceptable side. As should be, this new side won out over his old self after he thought about it.

c) Man against Society: This one is easy. The whole book is about his struggle with unknown influences that are following his movements and watching him. The society he was trying to bring down was one that encouraged individualism so those individuals would not care about the big picture. This society fueled the lack of creative thought and encouraged destructive behaviors. Guy actually did not conquer this foe himself. It was destroyed in an atomic war.

I would recommend this book only under certain circumstances. Such as; if you have too much time on your hands, your TV is broke and you need to fill time until the repair man get there, or if you are required to do a book report. In my opinion, there is not much substance to this book besides an attempt to strengthen the resolve of the reader to not let such a future be possible. Which let the reader be assured that this future is not possible and they should instead read the book as entertainment from the imagination of Mr. Bradbury.

wide-e-wide
10-25-2005, 11:40 PM
Plagerism D08...don't do it...they will nail your little ***.

ThEgReAtOnE
10-25-2005, 11:52 PM
Plagerism D08...don't do it...they will nail your little ***.

That's why I said "read through it"!
If these kids copy word-for-word
what I posted, they should get
their little as*** nailed!! :D

LOL!!! Just read through it, and
take from it what you like!

BUT NOT WORD FOR WORD!!!!!!!

GoOwls
10-26-2005, 12:38 AM
I liked reading Farenheit 451, but my favorite Bradbury book is The Martian Chronicles. Very good and multi-layered.

dragons08
10-26-2005, 03:38 PM
wait did you acutally type that?? anyways..i havent read any of this book yet and were supposed to be done, just reading spark notes, and things of the such, i seem to be doing just fine, from what im told the book is full of clutter

lonny23
10-27-2005, 08:57 AM
wait did you acutally type that?? anyways..i havent read any of this book yet and were supposed to be done, just reading spark notes, and things of the such, i seem to be doing just fine, from what im told the book is full of clutter
He cut and pasted the first one because the references are still in there. I don't know about the 2nd one.

dragonfootballfan
10-27-2005, 10:50 AM
You need to read it. It is short and actually a very good read. You could probably read it in a few hours and it is well worth it

dragons08
10-27-2005, 08:03 PM
You need to read it. It is short and actually a very good read. You could probably read it in a few hours and it is well worth it
i guess i'll be busy this weekend, its a 165 pages, i figure that'll take me...2-3 hours max

dragons08
11-01-2005, 09:45 PM
i guess i'll be busy this weekend, its a 165 pages, i figure that'll take me...2-3 hours max
well i guess i lied........im doing the essay right now for it and its due 2morrow...

Reaganrattler07
11-01-2005, 09:45 PM

And it's Tuesday night and Dragons still hasn't done his essay :D

dragons08
11-01-2005, 09:49 PM
And it's Tuesday night and Dragons still hasn't done his essay :D
im working on it as we speak!! any of you have a cool image i should draw/print off for this?

dragons08
11-01-2005, 10:20 PM
i finsihed, that was rather fast, all i got left is to draw a picture, which i'll get a girl to do at school 2morrow, cause i CANNOT draw