PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Super List Players to Watch

BigB
03-29-2008, 06:04 PM
Well it's that time of the year; let start the discussion on the new 2008 5A Texas Football Forum Players to watch. Are the players listed for your school your best players or you have like to see someone else on the list?

http://www.5atexasfootball.com/superlist08/masterlist.html

Favpack
03-29-2008, 07:49 PM
Bizarre that we have no wr's from Lufkin or SLC - two schools that have produced some big name receivers.

Lufkin's strength will again be its D next year - and that's reflected by 6 players names on the defensive unit.

DT Jamarcus McFarland will likely end up the No. 1 DL in the nation next year.

Fleeman93
03-29-2008, 08:16 PM
School CountOfSchool
Eagle Pass* 12
North Shore 12
The Woodlands* 12
Katy 12
Dallas Skyline* 11
Euless Trinity* 10
Lewisville Hebron 10
Allen 10
South Grand Prairie 10
Keller Fossil Ridge* 9
Klein Oak* 9
Beaumont West Brook* 8
Lufkin 8
Dickinson 8
Pearland 8
Temple 8
Cedar Hill* 8
Mesquite 8
FM Marcus 8
South Garland* 8
Aldine Eisenhower* 7
Klein Collins* 7
Richardson Berkner 7
Clear Lake* 7
Arlington 7
Deer Park* 7
Odessa Permian* 7
Los Fresnos* 7
RR Westwood* 7
Humble 7
Carrollton Creekview 7
Laredo United* 7
Plano East* 6
Brownsville Porter* 6
Laredo United South*6
Conroe 6
McAllen 6
Bryan 6
RR Stony Point* 6
Duncanville 6
FB Hightower 6
Tyler Lee* 6
Strake Jesuit* 6
Spring Westfield* 6
Spring 6
Garland Naaman Forest* 6
DeSoto 6
Wylie 6
Cypress Ridge* 6
SA Clark* 6
Dallas Jesuit 6
SA East Central* 6
Cedar Park* 6

BigB
03-29-2008, 08:45 PM
That goes to show you how this list is compiled. Not saying that it's something wrong with it but it could be better base off last year records and returning starting players and last years team record with underclassmen. Also you can interject who should be added to the list.

drgnbkr
03-29-2008, 09:16 PM
Bizarre that we have no wr's from Lufkin or SLC - two schools that have produced some big name receivers.

Lufkin's strength will again be its D next year - and that's reflected by 6 players names on the defensive unit.

Carroll's are mostly juniors to be...we will start noticing them when spring balls starts and through 7 on 7. There will be a lot of attention focused on them as usual in the fall.

jakerz
03-29-2008, 09:47 PM

Maybe #1 player overall in the nation

SLCBELIEF
03-29-2008, 10:57 PM
Carroll's are mostly juniors to be...we will start noticing them when spring balls starts and through 7 on 7. There will be a lot of attention focused on them as usual in the fall.

yes lots of juniors will most likely start on offense and defense. ive been to 2 of the 7 on 7 games and I have to say we have some fast kids lol...we have some great Wr's as well not sure why we dont have atleast one on the list. oh yes and our kicker cade foster will play middle linebacker this season not sure if hell play kicker to...just was reading the list lol

Plano West Wolf
03-29-2008, 11:12 PM
Well it's that time of the year; let start the discussion on the new 2008 5A Texas Football Forum Players to watch. Are the players listed for your school your best players or you have like to see someone else on the list?

http://www.5atexasfootball.com/superlist08/masterlist.html

I have some guys that could be added for Plano West:

RB Darius Cohen (soon to be senior)
DB Travis Wilson (soon to be senior)
WR Denzel Love (soon to be senior)

trojan25
03-31-2008, 10:04 AM
Couple of flaws on the list of Trinity players: One, Kulitapa Taumoepeau, is currently a senior and will graduate in May (and has signed with Fresno St), so he won't be an '08 player.

A second, Kaili Tualau, didn't play last year and as of this point, is not on the team for next year either.

KT2000
03-31-2008, 10:27 AM
Couple of flaws on the list of Trinity players: One, Kulitapa Taumoepeau, is currently a senior and will graduate in May (and has signed with Fresno St), so he won't be an '08 player.

A second, Kaili Tualau, didn't play last year and as of this point, is not on the team for next year either.

The early life of the players list each year is dedicated to fixing things like that. There are quite a few erros in the all-district listings that get sent out every year. That's what most of the early Super List is generated from.

TEAMFALCON
03-31-2008, 11:13 AM
Hey KT, just some height/weight info for Los Fresnos players on your list that are missing info:

DE- Matt Mendez - 6'4 210 lbs
WR- Charlie Rivas - 5'10 185 lbs 3 yr starter
RB- Danny Mendez - 5'6 150 lbs 2021 rushing yards in 2007 3 yr starter
LB- Edgar Martinez -6'0 185
ILB Anthony Cadengo-5'8 170
DB-Luis Charles - 5'9 171 3 year starter

Keep up the good work!

SMC020
03-31-2008, 11:29 AM
The early life of the players list each year is dedicated to fixing things like that. There are quite a few erros in the all-district listings that get sent out every year. That's what most of the early Super List is generated from.

KT..........can you tell me how this list is put together? I think it should be put together based on the feedback from the coaches. This looks like it shows a lot of favortism to certain schools. How can Judson not be represented but for a few players. They did afterall go to state :rolleyes:

KT2000
03-31-2008, 12:08 PM
KT..........can you tell me how this list is put together? I think it should be put together based on the feedback from the coaches. This looks like it shows a lot of favortism to certain schools. How can Judson not be represented but for a few players. They did afterall go to state :rolleyes:

Status quo for Judson! :D

We seek input from every coach, and we've got some who consistently come through for us.

Some teams have more players listed because of the different all-district selection processes, and the fact they obviously return a fair amount of their two deep. Also, we have access to more information for certain programs so we can easily include that with the List.

In all, far from a perfect storm but we make an effort to update this throughout the year. I don't know if it ever gets complete really. That's Texas for you. :notworthy

SMC020
03-31-2008, 05:30 PM

We seek input from every coach, and we've got some who consistently come through for us.

Some teams have more players listed because of the different all-district selection processes, and the fact they obviously return a fair amount of their two deep. Also, we have access to more information for certain programs so we can easily include that with the List.

In all, far from a perfect storm but we make an effort to update this throughout the year. I don't know if it ever gets complete really. That's Texas for you. :notworthy

I knew it was something with the coaches.......my goodness. Thanks

Plano West Wolf
03-31-2008, 06:08 PM

I also find it strange how Richardson Berkner has more players on than any of the Plano schools...

BigB
03-31-2008, 09:47 PM
I knew it was something with the coaches.......my goodness. Thanks

No the Judson coaches were not contacted for verification on the players listed, it came from somewhere else.....

The Warrior
04-01-2008, 08:06 AM

Ryan Campos has yet to play a varsity game for SPG and has been on the list 2 years running. They do the best they can, but some will be on that shouldn't and some are recruited daily by D1 schools that don't make the list. It's never going to be perfect. Good job anyway!:D

dada
04-01-2008, 08:35 AM
Does it really matter? It's a "Players to watch" list......should we just list the entire starting rosters for every team in Texas?

SMC020
04-01-2008, 10:52 AM
No the Judson coaches were not contacted for verification on the players listed, it came from somewhere else.....

Don't get me wrong the players listed for Judson are great players. I just think there are others that should be listed. After all the team went to state, only lost by three and the majority of the players are returning this year. I just wish our coaches would become more engaged with promoting the kids. Not just on "the players to watch list" but other venues such as Nike camps, Rivals etc........................

ktchamp97
04-01-2008, 01:02 PM
SMC,

It's not that your coaches are failing in any way whatsoever. I haven't yet sent out the questionnaires this year. Some of the guys listed are on there from last year's surveys though.

The first attempt at the list is mostly compiled from the previous year's All-District squads. Then, we add in players based on recommendations through the site or through email (I get quite a few of those). Other guys, like Campos from SGP (mentioned above), get added because they're in the Rivals.com database as being a college prospect. Beyond that, we also add guys that we've seen in person as well as guys that we hear about. As we get some of the surveys back, we'll add even more guys.

If anyone has a player or group of players you'd like to nominate, feel free to send me an email at JoshC@5atexasfootball.com including some background information and why you think your guy(s) should be on the list.

We get email nominations from the players themselves as well as from parents and coaches. Anything that helps us improve the quality of the list is welcomed.

SMC020
04-01-2008, 02:20 PM
SMC,

It's not that your coaches are failing in any way whatsoever. I haven't yet sent out the questionnaires this year. Some of the guys listed are on there from last year's surveys though.

The first attempt at the list is mostly compiled from the previous year's All-District squads. Then, we add in players based on recommendations through the site or through email (I get quite a few of those). Other guys, like Campos from SGP (mentioned above), get added because they're in the Rivals.com database as being a college prospect. Beyond that, we also add guys that we've seen in person as well as guys that we hear about. As we get some of the surveys back, we'll add even more guys.

If anyone has a player or group of players you'd like to nominate, feel free to send me an email at JoshC@5atexasfootball.com including some background information and why you think your guy(s) should be on the list.

We get email nominations from the players themselves as well as from parents and coaches. Anything that helps us improve the quality of the list is welcomed.

Thanks