PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Lines?

LP-79
05-16-2005, 06:38 PM
I know Lufkin will be starting over on the offensive line. It will be the biggest question come fall ball. How is everybody else's line look? Our defense should be one of the better defense's in the state. No outstanding runningbacks this year unless the freshman steps up to varsity. Just found out today I have to work the evening of the spring game. That sucks :mad:

lonny23
05-16-2005, 07:25 PM
I know Lufkin will be starting over on the offensive line. It will be the biggest question come fall ball. How is everybody else's line look? Our defense should be one of the better defense's in the state. No outstanding runningbacks this year unless the freshman steps up to varsity. Just found out today I have to work the evening of the spring game. That sucks :mad:
I was at Wal-Mart last night and their line was real offensive! :D

ALLSTAR
05-16-2005, 08:16 PM
SLCs oline will be pretty good, they arent doing bad in spring, and they have two veterans comming back from the year before.

c-lisle
05-16-2005, 09:22 PM
As usual, Longview will have two big men at gaurd(280+, and athletic), one good sized tackle(260), a fairly small center (210), and another small tackle at around 200lbs. I think Coach King would rather have fast, athletic blockers rather than big guys. I guess it better compliments our running game. This is just about the same type oline Lview has had in recent years.

Xfballphenome05
05-16-2005, 09:44 PM
smithson valley has 2 big guys,wade haynes -gaurd,conner smith-tackle,(260 or so),and then a decent size tackle in mickle stevick(225 or so),small but really fast center in brice fowler and young gaurd and inexperieced gaurd in jordan mcormik...i would say i good group overall,will get better as the season goes on.

Texas Hammer
05-16-2005, 09:50 PM
As usual, Longview will have two big men at gaurd(280+, and athletic), one good sized tackle(260), a fairly small center (210), and another small tackle at around 200lbs. I think Coach King would rather have fast, athletic blockers rather than big guys. I guess it better compliments our running game. This is just about the same type oline Lview has had in recent years.
Fat guys who can't move don't work in football anymore. You need guys with good footwork and one's who can get under the defenders shoulder pads.

Mr. Buddy Garrity
05-17-2005, 08:20 AM
We have the size and the strength at O-Line positions but I dunno if they will have the heart to take d-lines to the woodshed.

CoppellCowboy57
05-17-2005, 05:42 PM
Coppell has rebuilt there offensive line...again...

Two years ago we had a strong returning line with 3 Returns all who have scholships to D1 or D2 except one, Camron Shautt being the most known who was redshirted this past season.

Last year we rebuilt and had over 5 diffrent starts on the o-line...this year the offensive line returns 4 Starters all who saw at least one game starting. Some wont play due to grade issues (I wont say his name). And the others...the weakist point at the Coppell line is the Center wish is leaving queston marks for the second streight season. Current at spring practice a 165 pound senior holds the spot, he looks to be quick, but i dont know if he will be able handle the big Trinity defensive linemen

trinity05
05-17-2005, 09:16 PM
I think Trinity is one of the few schools that does not have trouble rebuilding olines.....trinity and desoto have some of the biggest and best lines i have seen

Texas Hammer
05-17-2005, 09:18 PM
I think Trinity is one of the few schools that does not have trouble rebuilding olines.....trinity and desoto have some of the biggest and best lines i have seen
Trinity always gets those Samoan kids and that goes a long way towards rebuilding the line. Samoans have good size, but always seem to be quick on their feet.

CoppellCowboy57
05-18-2005, 01:18 PM
Trinity always gets those Samoan kids and that goes a long way towards rebuilding the line. Samoans have good size, but always seem to be quick on their feet.

Not Samoans...there Tongans...get it right...geeze

lufkin_82
05-18-2005, 10:08 PM
I know Lufkin will be starting over on the offensive line. It will be the biggest question come fall ball. How is everybody else's line look? Our defense should be one of the better defense's in the state. No outstanding runningbacks this year unless the freshman steps up to varsity. Just found out today I have to work the evening of the spring game. That sucks :mad:what about shankle at rb?? he is moving back there and raines will be at inside reciever. the freshman is supposed to be on jv next year

Texas Hammer
05-19-2005, 12:05 AM
I read Samoans one time. The same thought process goes for Tongans.

pack0808
05-19-2005, 08:55 AM

i disagree lp79. i think both kibble and turner can be very effective if the freshmen does not come up. both are quick hitting rb's and kibble has a lot of strength and turner has the better speed. this offense is going to be all about speed this year. very fast wr's, qb and rb's. they will be a fast break offense this year. on the offensive line at lufkin i have no idea. they always seem to be in this situation because they always have a lot of seniors that start at that position on a yearly basis. but they seem to always be fine. the ol at lufkin has not been great lately but they are solid every year. they are usually an averaged size line with good speed and quickness for an ol.

Favpack
05-19-2005, 03:30 PM
Ya'll know my opinions are usually straightforward. I can't believe they think EJ can handle a full load/season at tb. He is an outside speed threat - not a rb.

Lufkin's o-line was decent last year - but not good enough to carry the team to state. The line was kind of exposed against SLC. Without Jorvorski I think the line would have had troubles last year. So, obviously the line is going to have to step up big time this year - that will definitely be a key for Lufkin. Of course, as you say - there will be no shortage of outside speed - so you don't have to hold those blocks too long :)

owlfan 1
05-19-2005, 03:38 PM

baby arm...

pack0808
05-19-2005, 11:45 PM
that is is shankle starts at rb. i expect kibble and turner to get plenty of touches along with shankle. i think shankle will play both rb and wr.

Favpack
05-20-2005, 08:03 AM
So Pack gang - I missed the big scrimmage - who started at rb? I saw a TV highlight of a kid I don't know - took a nice pitch from Claybon and broke free for a long one - anyone know this kid?

Chief Wahoo
05-20-2005, 08:40 AM
For a minute, I thought this thread was for offensive lines and I thought I would offer the compliment that I paid my wife on Monday that apparently she took wrong somehow: I told her she didn't sweat much for a fat woman. Geez she took it out of context. :D

PackAttack2005
05-20-2005, 08:53 AM
The kid that you saw on the news make the long run was #40 Ben Christopherson, don't know his claification and he took the option pitch from back up QB James Davis. The running backs for Lufkin in 2005 will be Clifton Kibble and Rafael Nicolas, you may see E.J. Shankle or Ralph Thomas back there occasionally from their slot WR positions, but E.J. Shankle is not expected to carry a big part of the running back load this next season. He and Thomas will be used mostly from the WR slot position in various sets.

As far as the scrimmage, what can you say it was a scrimmage. The defense looked ready to start the season tomorrow. The offensive timing was off and that was because they need to find a O-Line that can work together. That will all get better by the start of the season. Toward the end of the scrimmage Coach Early had a line on the field that was clicking pretty good. We will have some good size on the offensive and defensive lines next year and blazing speed at the skilled positions and at DE, LB and defensive secondary. The kicking game will be solid Jamie Fernandez boomed all of his kick offs into the endzone and had a 45 yard FG in the scrimmage.

That's it, 7 on 7 starts next week, the Panthers will travel to Little Rock, ARK on June 17th-18th for the Bruin Shootout Classic, This will be a 24 team tourney and Lufkin will play 10 games in two days before returning to Lufkin to host a state qualifying tournament on June 25th.

Favpack
05-20-2005, 11:01 AM
Thanks PA2005 - that sounds like what I expected at rb - will be interesting to see who breaks out and wants it the most.

EJ is a great athlete - his 2nd place finish in the State 200 speaks for itself - he will make some phenomenal plays next year - he just needs to stay outside the tackles if you know what I mean ;)

pack0808
05-20-2005, 03:14 PM
hey packattack i thought j turner was going to play some rb this year?? did he get beat out or is he playing another position??

PackAttack2005
05-20-2005, 06:26 PM
Evedently not, Turner didn't tote the ball one time in the scrimmage. In fact I didn't see him at all, although he was listed on the varsity roster. I don't know, it would be a waste of a running backs talent not to use JaCorey where they definately need the help.

KatyTigers
05-21-2005, 12:31 PM
It looks like Katy will field one of the best O-lines in the state this next season.

Projected starters:

Jacob Straka 280 lbs.
Joey Welch 300 lbs.
Cody Lopasky 270 lbs.
Brian Ferris 270 lbs.
Mike Mosely 250 lbs.

4 returning players that started or received significant playing time in 2004.

eagleike
05-21-2005, 02:26 PM
I thought Lufkin's o-line from 2 years ago was one of the best I had seen in some time. They played a great team game together. Very instinctual and polished.

eagleike
05-22-2005, 09:19 AM
Katy:

does it surprise you that there will be a big line at katy?

remember the 1997 line? Ike versus Katy? That year had some big boys.

playing them brings to mind one word:

PAIN :eek:

Favpack
05-23-2005, 08:08 AM
I'll say it again - I'll take speed over size any day of the week in HS football. It's pretty rare to see a good, fast D get worn down - the game's are just not long enough - and the O's are just not disciplined enough.

How about Tyler Lee shutting down the vaunted 300 lb. Trinity O-line in the semi's last year? Lee's D was quick and fast - but not too big.

Chief Wahoo
05-23-2005, 08:14 AM
I'll say it again - I'll take speed over size any day of the week in HS football. It's pretty rare to see a good, fast D get worn down - the game's are just not long enough - and the O's are just not disciplined enough.

How about Tyler Lee shutting down the vaunted 300 lb. Trinity O-line in the semi's last year? Lee's D was quick and fast - but not too big.

Well said favpack.... you get those "big-uns" between meals and their energy level drops significantly. I'll take the leaner, faster mobile ones anyday. :cool:

03mustangwideout
05-23-2005, 12:38 PM
Ill say that north shore always has a dominant line thats always their key to success. Look at the style of football they play. They dont throw they run right up the middle they are big and fast. Yeah its true when u have a lot of fat guy they get tired easily but ns line is never fat they are big strong and fast. When u have big 6ft 300+ linemen running 5.1 in the 40 how can u compete with that. im not saying that no one can because we have been beaten and ill be the first to say that were not the best but we can compete with the best. And i hate to see time and time again people say that they cant be beaten. Ex. all the slc people but thats why the games have to be played and also why we have to wait and see when the season starts a lot can happen over a summer.

CoppellCowboy57
05-24-2005, 02:06 PM
Coppell has rebuilt there offensive line...again...

Two years ago we had a strong returning line with 3 Returns all who have scholships to D1 or D2 except one, Camron Shautt being the most known who was redshirted this past season.

Last year we rebuilt and had over 5 diffrent starts on the o-line...this year the offensive line returns 4 Starters all who saw at least one game starting. Some wont play due to grade issues (I wont say his name). And the others...the weakist point at the Coppell line is the Center wish is leaving queston marks for the second streight season. Current at spring practice a 165 pound senior holds the spot, he looks to be quick, but i dont know if he will be able handle the big Trinity defensive linemen

im qouting my self after seeing the spring game...Alot of the Oline looks to be rebuilt, they look strong and quick, and ready to kick some sirous ***...
The center Lee Shaw, works his *** off every single down, and has the heart the size of Texas...he might be small but damn hes strong

10 Cent Playa
05-24-2005, 07:14 PM
Carroll actually decided to not have an offensive line this year, except for a center to snap, and will field four extra recievers.

CoppellCowboy57
05-25-2005, 02:02 PM
Carroll actually decided to not have an offensive line this year, except for a center to snap, and will field four extra recievers.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

ktCarl
05-25-2005, 10:07 PM
Katy:

does it surprise you that there will be a big line at katy?

remember the 1997 line? Ike versus Katy? That year had some big boys.

playing them brings to mind one word:

PAIN :eek:

I remember that O-line very well. Katy's O-line wore down their opponents. I 'think' all but one played D1 college ball(?) with Eric Heitman starting for the S.F. 49ers O-line.
The Ike-Katy game that year was great. Ike was the best team Katy faced in the playoffs that year. My humble opinion.

Xfballphenome05
05-25-2005, 10:27 PM
lol,thats the funniest thing ive herd in a while 10 cent player,but im startin to think its only funny because its true :( .

eagleike
05-25-2005, 10:33 PM
Eisenhower always seems to be the best team Katy, Converse Judson, and Midland Lee play and beat in any given year. :(

ktCarl:

97 game was a hell of a game....Katy played a strong second half and deservedly won the clash of the h-town titans.

Let's schedule a meeting every year. It would be fun.

WestTXRebel
05-25-2005, 10:49 PM
Midland Lee didn't seem to have much trouble with Euless Trinity's line. :D

WestTXRebel

ktCarl
05-25-2005, 10:54 PM
Eisenhower always seems to be the best team Katy, Converse Judson, and Midland Lee play and beat in any given year. :(

ktCarl:

97 game was a hell of a game....Katy played a strong second half and deservedly won the clash of the h-town titans.

Let's schedule a meeting every year. It would be fun.

At least Ike seems to have more up years than down and I'd love to do it again at Rice Stadium.