PDA

View Full Version : Some Info On SLC?

cougarcb16
05-16-2005, 06:08 PM
I was wondering if yall could help me our with my curiosity, and what is turning into obcession for Texas HS football. Could you tell me a little about the Southlake Carroll program as a whole? Why are they soo good? What makes them tick? Whats with the envy and anger towards them? Also, are they a new school district? Looking back at the history, I havent seen their name since before the 90's. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

drgnbkr
05-16-2005, 06:54 PM
Carroll has 5 State Championships: 88, 92, 93, 02 and 04, with 04 also being named National Champs in 5 different polls.. The School has moved from 4A to 5A more successfully than any school in Texas History. They have the all-time State record for consecutive regular season wins with 74, and have won the Lone Star Cup several times as the most successful UIL competitor. It's hard for us to comment on anything, as we are labeled arrogant, but I've been a fan since 92 and have 2 graduates of Carroll High and an 8th grader on the way through, and it is fun being a Dragon Fan! We are blessed here in our community with great coaches, parents and kids. All of this in a community that supports the Dragons in a big way.

cougarcb16
05-16-2005, 07:10 PM
Thats a good program right there. Do you know when the school was made? As to why it has only been having recent success? Also, will your 8th grader be playing football?

dragonsdaddy
05-16-2005, 07:11 PM
http://www.leaguelineup.com/welcome.asp?url=04dragonsfootball&bhcp=1

this will take you to the football website which has lots of info, interesting or otherwise. take a peek.

lonny23
05-16-2005, 07:17 PM
Thats a good program right there. Do you know when the school was made? As to why it has only been having recent success? Also, will your 8th grader be playing football?
They started being successful with Bob Ledbetter as coach when they were a 3A school, which is the mid-level in Texas. The area kept growing and they built up their program as they went along. Todd Dodge has been real successful since he's been there. They have great fan support, all the schools are Dragons, and they have the money and resources to put into the football and athletic programs.

cougarcb16
05-16-2005, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the link and the info guys. So theyve been around for a while, they have juss grown recently. Is it true that they are one of the more better off communities in Texas?

ALLSTAR
05-16-2005, 07:59 PM
definitely the best community for the kids... i think, because i am a kid... the cops here could chill out a little bit tho.

Texas Hammer
05-16-2005, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the link and the info guys. So theyve been around for a while, they have juss grown recently. Is it true that they are one of the more better off communities in Texas?
Carry plenty of money if you want to live in one of the new houses they're building. They still have some of the older houses, though.

dragonsdaddy
05-16-2005, 08:03 PM
todd has incorporated his system well into an already successful situation by stressing to "protect the tradition". as to recent successes, they are not much more impressive than what went on in the late 80s to mid 90s. they held the record for most consecutive reg season games. some of those teams are considered to be top of the line even tho they were only 3a. it has been a fortunate blend around here, which has attacted successful family-types which often begets more kids willing to do what it takes to be successful, given the right support/coaching. i was lucky to find that chemistry in plano in the 60s and my kids have been even luckier here in slc. i grew up hearing that the harder you work, the luckier you get. our kids here have earned their luck with lots of hard work month after month, and year after year.

drgnbkr
05-16-2005, 08:22 PM
Thats a good program right there. Do you know when the school was made? As to why it has only been having recent success? Also, will your 8th grader be playing football?.

My 22 year old daughter played varsity soccer, my 20 year old son played on the 02 State Champion Ice Hockey team and my 8th grader to be, is a center and hopes to be a Big Dragon in High School.

cougarcb16
05-16-2005, 08:26 PM
Wow SLC is a solid program.

DragonsDaddy, I really like those words.

Dragonbkr, best of luck to your son.

NMHS fan
05-16-2005, 08:36 PM
They're a total class act on top of all of that. They deserve all of the success they have enjoyed, and could be either at or near the top for a long time to come.

Xfballphenome05
05-16-2005, 08:41 PM
what makes the team so consistently good over the last few years has to be the coaching staff.coach dogde does an aesome job of getting his players ready for the game,and preparing for the teams on there schedule.

Texas Hammer
05-16-2005, 08:42 PM
what makes the team so consistently good over the last few years has to be the coaching staff.coach dogde does an aesome job of getting his players ready for the game,and preparing for the teams on there schedule.
SLC does come to play every game and that's a credit to Coach Dodge.

drgnbkr
05-16-2005, 08:44 PM
Ditto on what dragonsdaddy said about hard work....there may be schools out there that work as hard, but I don't think anyone works harder than the Carroll Students, academically or athletically. If the baseball team keeps winning this year, Carroll High has a real good shot at the Lone Star Cup again.

Texas Hammer
05-16-2005, 08:47 PM
Ditto on what dragonsdaddy said about hard work....there may be schools out there that work as hard, but I don't think anyone works harder than the Carroll Students, academically or athletically. If the baseball team keeps winning this year, Carroll High has a real good shot at the Lone Star Cup again.
That's better than Judson. I think they're playing for the Dixie Cup! :D

Shoot2thrill
05-17-2005, 06:02 AM

My 22 year old daughter played varsity soccer, my 20 year old son played on the 02 State Champion Ice Hockey team and my 8th grader to be, is a center and hopes to be a Big Dragon in High School.

High School Ice Hockey in Texas? New one on me! I seriously never knew we played that sport at the high school level here in Texas. Must be a limited number of schools playing it. Wow. :eek:

Texas Hammer
05-17-2005, 06:46 AM
High School Ice Hockey in Texas? New one on me! I seriously never knew we played that sport at the high school level here in Texas. Must be a limited number of schools playing it. Wow. :eek:
It's actually a decent amount. They have schools in Dallas, Houston, Permian Basin, and I think Austin that play.

cougarcb16
05-17-2005, 08:02 AM
This Coach Dodge seems to be amazing. From what it looks, SLC will be a contender forever unless something unusual happens.

LP-79
05-17-2005, 08:07 AM
I think every team that plays them respects them after the game. That says a lot about their program.

Dds115
05-17-2005, 11:40 AM
This Coach Dodge seems to be amazing. From what it looks, SLC will be a contender forever unless something unusual happens.

That'd be nice don't get me wrong, but just like De La Salle, all good things must come to an end eventually. I saw we're still safe though for now........ I hope.

cougarcb16
05-17-2005, 12:52 PM
Do they have average sized kids?

CoppellCowboy57
05-17-2005, 01:12 PM
Ppl dont like Southlake teams because they, win all the time...Plus us Cowboys hate Dragon Nation (turn used in refrence to SLC Fans)

ktCarl
05-17-2005, 08:28 PM
Love 'em or hate 'em......they're a class program.

lonny23
05-17-2005, 08:45 PM
Love 'em or hate 'em......they're a class program.
That's true and there are programs out there that I won't say that about!

Shoot2thrill
05-17-2005, 10:01 PM
That's true and there are programs out there that I won't say that about!

Awww. don't be so hard on Judson Lonny....just kidding... :D :cool: .

Dds115
05-17-2005, 10:11 PM
Do they have average sized kids?
If anything, the boys are smaller then average, wouldn't you guys agree?

dragonsdaddy
05-17-2005, 10:30 PM
no i wouldn't say that at all. our ol is generally about 280. our dl is smaller, but that is how the defense is set, smaller, faster and quicker.

Dds115
05-17-2005, 10:57 PM
Yea, you're right. But for the most part I would say we are smaller then average.

ALLSTAR
05-17-2005, 11:50 PM
the oline has a center who starts that is 215 pounds, and there is only one guy that is close to 280 on the line, being "THE" mike prince. so i think the average is more like 250, if that...

Texas Hammer
05-17-2005, 11:58 PM
I'll say SLC overall is below average for size. They have a few big guys, but most are smaller than average.

dragonsdaddy
05-18-2005, 12:05 AM
i was referring to the last 3 years where they did average closer to 280 except at the center spot.

cougarcb16
05-18-2005, 08:44 AM
From all that Im hereing it seems that SLC is an all together all american program. They seem to be kicking everyones butt, with hard work and integrity.

dragonsdaddy
05-18-2005, 09:05 AM
we aren't alone in that category. many teams across the state including judson, katy, smithson valley, lufkin,and denton ryan to name a few do things the right way and win inordinately often. we are very proud of our dragons and all are proud of what texas hs football means to everyone involved.

drgnbkr
05-18-2005, 03:27 PM
Amen to that Ddaddy...it's amazing to me that from the regional semis on how evenly matched everyone is. Very little seperates about ten programs in 5-A. We all could take a shot at naming those 10, but I think we would come pretty close.

lonny23
05-19-2005, 12:29 AM
Amen to that Ddaddy...it's amazing to me that from the regional semis on how evenly matched everyone is. Very little seperates about ten programs in 5-A. We all could take a shot at naming those 10, but I think we would come pretty close.
It was very obvious how close the top teams in Texas were last year. The National champs almost lost 3 playoff games and 3 of the 4 finalists didn't win their districts.

drgnbkr
05-19-2005, 08:16 AM
C'mon Lonny, "Almost lost 3 games"? Carroll had some great close games, but almost lost? Maybe "could have lost" would be better. My point was that all of the last ten teams or so, are good, and close games are the norm at that level.

chhspantherfan
12-21-2011, 11:53 AM
Carroll has 5 State Championships: 88, 92, 93, 02 and 04, with 04 also being named National Champs in 5 different polls.. The School has moved from 4A to 5A more successfully than any school in Texas History. They have the all-time State record for consecutive regular season wins with 74, and have won the Lone Star Cup several times as the most successful UIL competitor. It's hard for us to comment on anything, as we are labeled arrogant, but I've been a fan since 92 and have 2 graduates of Carroll High and an 8th grader on the way through, and it is fun being a Dragon Fan! We are blessed here in our community with great coaches, parents and kids. All of this in a community that supports the Dragons in a big way.

some things never change;)

toonman
12-21-2011, 11:59 AM

I thought that GP North Shore took that record from us?

DrEdward
12-21-2011, 12:07 PM
I thought that GP North Shore took that record from us?

Look at the date on the original post, toon.. It would seem that pantherfan has been trolling through the archives this morning on a number of threads.

toonman
12-21-2011, 12:11 PM
Look at the date on the original post, toon.. It would seem that pantherfan has been trolling through the archives this morning on a number of threads.

Got it.

chhspantherfan
12-21-2011, 12:16 PM

You got it Doc, there are some great threads worth revisiting. I found one of our game threads that was classic, but didn't want to go there:)

dragonpants
12-21-2011, 06:01 PM
You got it Doc, there are some great threads worth revisiting. I found one of our game threads that was classic, but didn't want to go there:)

I can only imagine why?

PM me the link. This is actually interesting for me because many of these are before my time. Moved to Texas in '05, Carroll fan in '05 moved to SL in '06 and did not find this message board until '07 so it has been fascinating.

Bkr talking about when Woody was in 8th grade, Dragons08 posting as a freshman in HS. This is pretty cool.
I am thankful for Panther being bored and I am sure half intoxicated in Columbus with nothing to do. Have a few more drinks put on some Wolverine gear and start yelling about how much Woody Hayes sucks, your boredom will cease rapidly.

chhspantherfan
12-21-2011, 06:13 PM
I can only imagine why?

PM me the link. This is actually interesting for me because many of these are before my time. Moved to Texas in '05, Carroll fan in '05 moved to SL in '06 and did not find this message board until '07 so it has been fascinating.

Bkr talking about when Woody was in 8th grade, Dragons08 posting as a freshman in HS. This is pretty cool.
I am thankful for Panther being bored and I am sure half intoxicated in Columbus with nothing to do. Have a few more drinks put on some Wolverine gear and start yelling about how much Woody Hayes sucks, your boredom will cease rapidly.

I'm having Kettle One martinis at the Hilton asking people where I can get an autograph and a tattoo. Not gojng over very well

dragonpants
12-21-2011, 06:25 PM
I'm having Kettle One martinis at the Hilton asking people where I can get an autograph and a tattoo. Not gojng over very well

That's my boy.