PDA

View Full Version : Burn the friggin' charts

KT2000
01-08-2008, 11:34 AM
After listening to to the Steelers coach last weekend, I'm convinced coaches need to burn those friggin' 2-point charts and dispose the remains into an abyss of their choice.

ktchamp has a simple philosophy which he let me in on a few years back, and has since proven nearly foolproof.

Never ever, under any circumstance, go for two unless the following apply:

1) You are attempting to win/tie a game very late on.

2) Under three minutes remain, you are trying to pull within 3 or 7/8 points in case you should get the ball back with a chance to tie or win.

3) It is overtime, and you are trying to win a game or are forced to try due to multiple overtime rules.

4) Your kicker is Ray Finkle.

In other words, don't do it unless you absolutely have to. I'm telling you, this is as close to foolproof as it gets.

elkfbfan
01-08-2008, 11:57 AM
You are so right. Also on this subject, it seems to me the plays used for two point conversions could be better- a little more innovation or imagination- like Boise St.'s statue of Liberty play in the 07 Fiesta bowl.

SLC93
01-08-2008, 02:09 PM
After listening to to the Steelers coach last weekend, I'm convinced coaches need to burn those friggin' 2-point charts and dispose the remains into an abyss of their choice.

ktchamp has a simple philosophy which he let me in on a few years back, and has since proven nearly foolproof.

2) Under three minutes remain, you are trying to pull within 3 or 7/8 points in case you should get the ball back with a chance to tie or win.

3) It is overtime, and you are trying to win a game or are forced to try due to multiple overtime rules.

In other words, don't do it unless you absolutely have to. I'm telling you, this is as close to foolproof as it gets.

Nice formula. I was three pitchers in and knew enough to scream,"Put the chart away!".:D

Favpack
01-08-2008, 02:23 PM
5) It's High school or below and you're pretty good with the swinging gate (See LSU's easy td toss last night).

Who is Ray Finkel?

Firebird
01-08-2008, 04:41 PM
5. You just scored a TD and went up by one, wit just enough time for the other team to engineer a drive. A FG will beat you no matter what, -- doesn't matter if you are up two or up one. A 2 pt conversion means the other team has to score a TD or can only tie you.

I also don't mind if you just went up by 5 in the same situation. Especially in the pros if the other team has a halfway decent PK. You gotta figure the extra point is virtually automatic. If you go up by five, a TD without the XP beats you regardless of whether or not you fail at the two point. A TD and 2 point means that a TD and XP ties you, or they will have to get a 2 PT to beat you. I'd much rather stake my fortune on stopping a 2 pt conversion for the win than blocking an XP or hoping they miss.

KT2000
01-08-2008, 07:23 PM
5. You just scored a TD and went up by one, wit just enough time for the other team to engineer a drive. A FG will beat you no matter what, -- doesn't matter if you are up two or up one. A 2 pt conversion means the other team has to score a TD or can only tie you.

I also don't mind if you just went up by 5 in the same situation. Especially in the pros if the other team has a halfway decent PK. You gotta figure the extra point is virtually automatic. If you go up by five, a TD without the XP beats you regardless of whether or not you fail at the two point. A TD and 2 point means that a TD and XP ties you, or they will have to get a 2 PT to beat you. I'd much rather stake my fortune on stopping a 2 pt conversion for the win than blocking an XP or hoping they miss.

Yes, but only at the tail end of a game as you noted. I see that done so much in the normal run of play that I'd very much like to throw things at the TV, even when I have no vested interest.

Firebird
01-08-2008, 07:37 PM
Yes, but only at the tail end of a game as you noted. I see that done so much in the normal run of play that I'd very much like to throw things at the TV, even when I have no vested interest.

Coaches don't understand that rules are different at different points in the game.

dada
01-09-2008, 07:51 PM
5) It's High school or below and you're pretty good with the swinging gate (See LSU's easy td toss last night).

Who is Ray Finkel?

I suggest you take a crash course on "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective"

jc84chill
01-18-2008, 05:32 PM
Einhorn is a MAN...:puke

The King
01-25-2008, 01:27 PM

This is good for 11 man football, but in 6 man you go for it no matter what, you don't have enough players to block.

In 11 man it should be done only in the last 2 minutes of the game.

KatyFan724
01-25-2008, 02:13 PM
Ray Finkle! ha ha ha...made my day. :)

CFBFND2010
06-17-2008, 01:31 AM
Laces out, Dan!