PDA

View Full Version : Which ones of you played Varsity HS ball?

twcpfan1
01-07-2008, 06:11 PM
Not sure if there's been a thread like this before. Just curious which ones played.

For those who are willing to contribute, please include school, position, year played. Feel free to add anything else like how your team went the years you played, if you went on to play college ball, and any other highlights you wish to add.

Might make some good reading during the off season

slorch
01-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Played at WF Rider from 85-87 and Abernathy in the fall of 1988.

almost 20 looooooooooong years ago.:D

mcmullen82
01-07-2008, 06:15 PM
I played this season and last year for Stratford High School. The two years i played varsity, Stratford has made itself once again one of the schools to be contended with in the Houston area. Before last year, we had not made playoffs since 93, when I was only three years old. This year we went the farthest into playoffs that we have since the 87 team that finished as state runner-ups.

Trojan4653
01-07-2008, 06:19 PM
Mineral Wells High School class of 70. 6'1" 210 center (UGH) We played til Gordon Wood and Brownwood kicked our :Censor: then we went home.:cry For me I much prefered playing against Ben Crenshaw, as a senior, in the State Hi School golf meet. :cool:
But I sure dont mind having a bonus-son that plays for the Trinity Trojans:D

STB24
01-07-2008, 06:35 PM
i would of played this year but i had to switch schools in the summer:( then i came back late in the season.. but i will be playing for the Rockets next season!

TheBigPeach
01-07-2008, 06:39 PM
Lets even make this more intresting....Anyone have a state ring from any state or level?

chainsaw83
01-07-2008, 06:39 PM
I played at San Antonio Madison in '00, '01.
I played WR as a Jr. and SS as a Sr.

Missed the playoffs completely in '00.
Lost in state quarter finals to Austin Westlake in overtime in '01.

chainsaw83
01-07-2008, 06:42 PM
Lets even make this more intresting....Anyone have a state ring from any state or level?

lol...does pop warner count? we (San Antonio NE Vikings) upset the Oakcliff Jets in Beaumont in '97. We went on the play at nationals in Orlando. Lost our first game, won our second and lost our third....but, we DID win state. lol

Oldlynx
01-07-2008, 06:55 PM
Spearman High School, 1972-1974.
Halfback and Free Safety
Made it to the State Finals in 74, got the crap beat out of us by Newton, 56-26. :o Was the state record for most combined points in a state championship game for many, many years.

slorch
01-07-2008, 07:18 PM

does meat judging count?:D

honstly, i am amazed at some of the passion and knowledge on here by folks that never stepped on the field as a player.

shooter
01-07-2008, 07:43 PM
All-District AssBack here class of 90'

TheBigPeach
01-07-2008, 07:53 PM
All-District AssBack here class of 90'

Is that behind the Fullback? :p

Rapture
01-07-2008, 07:56 PM
played for tyler lee 93-94 season TE and DE we made the playoffs. lost in the first round to spring westfield 21-3 @ tyler's rose stadium. we felt we could have done alot better and maybe went to state that year.:( our cross town rival john tyler who we beat the week before 36-7 won the state title the next year undefeated 16-0. 1994 champs.:notworthy i was so happy for them and for tyler. that was a good year for me cause my 49ers won the super bowl that year to.:D

t-long20
01-07-2008, 07:59 PM
All-District Benchwarmer and waterboy here class of 90'

I fixed it.;)

shooter
01-07-2008, 08:16 PM
Is that behind the Fullback? :p

An Assback is the guy that stands on the sideline and when a player gets hurt he says "put me in put me in coach!"

and the Coach says "Get your ASSBACK!"

all-district baby!!! And I got the stats to prove it

LoneRocket
01-07-2008, 08:19 PM
i would of played this year but i had to switch schools in the summer:( then i came back late in the season.. but i will be playing for the Rockets next season!

Tell us about your boot camp experience come Feburary.

LoneRocket
01-07-2008, 08:21 PM
I played at San Antonio Madison in '00, '01.
I played WR as a Jr. and SS as a Sr.

Missed the playoffs completely in '00.
Lost in state quarter finals to Austin Westlake in overtime in '01.

Did you know a DB by the name of Shane?

The Great Evaluator
01-07-2008, 08:28 PM
I bowed out at the Freshman level. Basketball was a better option for me at the time. The Spread offense came in about 20 years too late. I would have loved to play in today's offense.

crunked9
01-07-2008, 08:31 PM
SLC '01-'02, won a few games, honored with some awards, had some fun.

GOMOJO54
01-07-2008, 09:08 PM
Odessa Permian 1980....started at defensive tackle. I still wear the State Championship ring. We played against Todd Dodge in the championship and he was incredible at the quarterback position.

jrock210
01-07-2008, 09:14 PM
I'm an All American right now:D:D

RocketDad
01-07-2008, 09:16 PM
I remember practicing on the varsity team for one day almost thirty years ago. I transfered to a school in Michigan as a sophomore and the principle put me on the varsity squad. I don't think the coaches appreciated that because they gave me a helmet without a facemask. I got my nose busted on every play. Towards the end of practice they literally carried me over to the other field and dumped me off to the JV. I never made it back to the varsity due to partying and chasing....well the pursuit of happiness.:cry

chainsaw83
01-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Did you know a DB by the name of Shane?

i'm better with last names. But i don't recall a shane on our squad.

Leander 6136
01-07-2008, 09:46 PM
Austin Reagan Class of '86, backup halfback, but I did chase down kickoffs and punts.

purebloodedpanther81
01-07-2008, 10:37 PM
Weslaco High School Panthers, Class of 2008 (played my last football game about a month ago :cry) WR, or swingman in our terminology. Reached the third round of the playoffs this season until we lost to San Antonio Madison 59-42. Great senior season, never will forget it...

CoveMom
01-07-2008, 10:38 PM
Obviously I never played. Just in case anyone was wondering.

DiamondJ2
01-07-2008, 11:02 PM
4 years of varsity basketball and 4 years of varsity baseball in high school in Indiana, then 4 years of basketball in college.

STB24
01-07-2008, 11:08 PM
Tell us about your boot camp experience come Feburary.

ok i will make sure i do that.. i went through boot camp last year and it was no joke!

LoneRocket
01-07-2008, 11:10 PM
ok i will make sure i do that.. i went through boot camp last year and it was no joke!

No kidding, I look back on that time in my life now and I do not think I could do that again.

DiamondJ2
01-07-2008, 11:14 PM

Just a state of mind. jk

STB24
01-07-2008, 11:50 PM
No kidding, I look back on that time in my life now and I do not think I could do that again.

well the first couple days are hell.. but its more of a mental thing.. if you work hard AND have fun doing it its a breeze.. i remember when we finally got a chance to get a perfect day 1 person accidently dropped a jump rope during ropes so we had to do 1 more day of it, and alot of us were crying because thats how hard it was.. but the next day we came out not thinking about the pain and just had fun and we got our perfect day, then coach rackley started crying (you know how he gets all emotional sometimes;))

LoneRocket
01-07-2008, 11:54 PM
well the first couple days are hell.. but its more of a mental thing.. if you work hard AND have fun doing it its a breeze.. i remember when we finally got a chance to get a perfect day 1 person accidently dropped a jump rope during ropes so we had to do 1 more day of it, and alot of us were crying because thats how hard it was.. but the next day we came out not thinking about the pain and just had fun and we got our perfect day, then coach rackley started crying (you know how he gets all emotional sometimes;))

Back in the day if someone screwed up he might had gotten an education when the group were passing between stations. Some of the upperclassmen were hardcore back then. If you fell out you better had passed out.

DrEdward
01-07-2008, 11:58 PM
Count me in, but it was a long time ago in a state far far away. Back in the mid-60s, but at least it was the 1960s.

STB24
01-08-2008, 12:00 AM
Back in the day if someone screwed up he might had gotten an education when the group were passing between stations. Some of the upperclassmen were hardcore back then. If you fell out you better had passed out.

lol thats how it was 2 years ago.. but the seniors started getting a little too violent.. they would pretty much be fighting the person who screwed up so the coaches had to draw a line.. but if you mess up now you will still hear it from EVERYONE in athletics lol..

LoneRocket
01-08-2008, 12:01 AM

A guy had gotten cut on the forehead during one of the drills on our first opportunity perfect day and he continues with blood dripping down his face. We got the perfect day and Coach Rackley was excited to see blood and what a warrior that guy was. He told someone that the only reason why he did not go to the training room was because he did not want to make up that day and relive that horror.

STB24
01-08-2008, 12:05 AM
A guy had gotten cut on the forehead during one of the drills on our first opportunity perfect day and he continues with blood dripping down his face. We got the perfect day and Coach Rackley was excited to see blood and what a warrior that guy was. He told someone that the only reason why he did not go to the training room was because he did not want to make up that day and relive that horror.

lol that happenned to me last year.. i hit my head on the lights in the mat room because we have to climb the fence at the end of each drill.. but it wasnt bleeding that bad..

yea when rackley gives you a thumbs down on your chance for a perfect day your heart just drops!! and the rest of the day and the next day you are dreading to go back to athletics!

LoneRocket
01-08-2008, 12:12 AM
lol that happenned to me last year.. i hit my head on the lights in the mat room because we have to climb the fence at the end of each drill.. but it wasnt bleeding that bad..

yea when rackley gives you a thumbs down on your chance for a perfect day your heart just drops!! and the rest of the day and the next day you are dreading to go back to athletics!

Matt drills, that perfect day one guys was dragging so bad that during progressive run they picked him up, threw him on the mat, drugg him, flipped him and threw him (on the sellout part) and got him up and put him down when it was time to do greenbays. (up downs) If that matt was not slick from the sweat his body would had been burned up.

STB24
01-08-2008, 12:15 AM
Matt drills, that perfect day one guys was dragging so bad that during progressive run they pick him up, threw him on the mat, drugg him, flipped him and threw him (on the sellout part) and got him up and put him down when it was time to do greenbays. (up downs) If that matt was not slick from the sweat his body would had been burned up.

i loved seeing stuff that!! it got me pumped to see teammates helping other teammates get through something as challenging as that.
lol that mat gets so nasty during bootcamp.. i remember i was trying to get off a knee at the end when coach was talking to us and my front foot slipped and i almost did the splits lol!

Attempt # IV
01-08-2008, 01:08 AM
Defensive end at Smithson Valley 04, 05, and 06, graduating in 07
04: lost in the state finals to SLC and Chase Daniel
05: lost in state semi-finals to Katy
06: lost to San Marcos in 1st round :puke
1st team all state, Lovie Smith Award top DE , MVP national all stars game, 3 all star games
no college ball after deciding to persue academics (whoops)
only rings i have are for being all state and then i got a ring and a watch for the THSCA Texas All star game

slorch
01-08-2008, 06:08 AM
Obviously I never played. Just in case anyone was wondering.

I don't believe you.

You have an O-line mentality, and that is 100% compliment.:D

slorch
01-08-2008, 06:09 AM

That sounds really tough, I mean awesome!:D

unbiasedobserver
01-08-2008, 09:17 AM
Lufkin...the 72-74. Defensive end.

seven11
01-08-2008, 09:23 AM
San Antonio- James Madison Mavericks class of 08. played in 06 and 07(this year) i was a wide reciever #11. State semifinals lost to katy

SV61
01-08-2008, 09:32 AM
Smithson Valley 80 and 81. O Tackle as a Junior; O Tackle, Tight End, Will Linebacker as a Senior.

District consisted of Randolph, Bandera, Cole, Floresville, and Medina Valley.

:confused:

Pre District games were against the likes of Marble Falls, Luling, Boerne, and Antonian.

Really, Really.

Went on to play at Texas Lutheran (Tight End) some, before transferring.

seven11
01-08-2008, 09:36 AM
O... 1st team all district and 2nd team all area. 46 catches for 830 yards with 8 tds

The King
01-08-2008, 09:48 AM
Katy 96

MatadorDad
01-08-2008, 09:53 AM
Rotan,Tx.-1969 1970 1971 Off. guard and linebacker. All-dist. linebacker and guard. Howard Payne for two years injured and transfered to texas tech to finish out college.

SLC93
01-08-2008, 11:06 AM
Carroll, 91-92, kick/punt returner, 30-0-1 with a state title

Matthew 2000 Eagle
01-08-2008, 12:14 PM
Carroll, 91-92, kick/punt returner, 30-0-1 with a state title

Speaking of which, I spoke with..... "Big Dex" the other day. We didn't talk long, but I think he's alright!

Matthew 2000 Eagle
01-08-2008, 12:16 PM
Played football at Trimble Tech from 1996-1999. Played LB and RB.

Played at Carter-Riverside during the 1999-2000 season. Played OLB and RB/FB.

Yeah! We sucked!

97_tigers
01-08-2008, 12:23 PM
97 Katy team

State championship (although i haven't worn the ring in near 9 years)

Plano Wildcat Fan
01-08-2008, 12:25 PM
I played this season and last year for Stratford High School. The two years i played varsity, Stratford has made itself once again one of the schools to be contended with in the Houston area. Before last year, we had not made playoffs since 93, when I was only three years old. This year we went the farthest into playoffs that we have since the 87 team that finished as state runner-ups.

You don't even know your schools own history:cry Stratford did win a state title in 1978 behind the running of Craig James. They beat defending state Champion Plano in the Astrodome 29-13. Doesn't the school have some type of trophy case or display in the school that recognizes the fact?

In a twist of fate Stratford lost to Plano in the 87 state game 29-21 and the Plano running back that scored the winning TD, CRAIG JAMES.

charger85
01-08-2008, 12:51 PM
Played varsity MLB 1982-1984 up north. Won 2 state championships went on to play UT. That would be the UT. University of Tennesee.

eagleswoop#1
01-08-2008, 06:14 PM
Three years on varsity as a matter of fact.

Dawg Fan
01-08-2008, 06:39 PM
Richfield High School in '75. I was 129lbs soaking wet and played WR. After I got the SH*T knocked out of me the 30th time by huge LB's I joined the band. Still have flashbacks without the drugs;)

SLC93
01-08-2008, 06:46 PM
Played varsity MLB 1982-1984 up north. Won 2 state championships went on to play UT. That would be the UT. University of Tennesee.

They play football over there?:eek::D

SLC93
01-08-2008, 06:47 PM
Speaking of which, I spoke with..... "Big Dex" the other day. We didn't talk long, but I think he's alright!

I got buddies who are still waiting for their turf burns from that game to heal!:D

Favpack
01-08-2008, 06:53 PM
Basketball for me. Abilene High - class of '79. I had a variety of white man's disease - slow, no vertical, but great at non-clutch free throws, handing the coach a piece of chalk, and taking charges.

Matthew 2000 Eagle
01-08-2008, 07:15 PM
I got buddies who are still waiting for their turf burns from that game to heal!:D

LOL! That's gotta be the best game that I've watched to this day, including this year's Carroll/Northwestern game.

Hoodleboy80
01-08-2008, 07:52 PM
You don't even know your schools own history:cry Stratford did win a state title in 1978 behind the running of Craig James. They beat defending state Champion Plano in the Astrodome 29-13. Doesn't the school have some type of trophy case or display in the school that recognizes the fact?

In a twist of fate Stratford lost to Plano in the 87 state game 29-21 and the Plano running back that scored the winning TD, CRAIG JAMES.

He definitely know it. The whole school knows it. We've seen the clips of him on highlight videos, gotten emails from him. He still is a big deal at our school, and definitely the best player to play at Stratford. Just because he did not mention the state title does not mean he doesn't know about it.

Hoodleboy80
01-08-2008, 07:54 PM
O and I was at Stratford my freshman year, then moved to boston and started at center as a sophomore at 5'10 165. Started at center and inside backer my junior year, then moved back to Houston and attended Stratford my senior year. PLayed backup LB and Center. Lost to CyFalls by 1 in the Area round.

FarmerFootballPlayer
01-08-2008, 07:55 PM
Well, haven't played any varsity yet, but hopefully next year. I'm a little small at 6'2" and 185lbs playing Center. But that's what off season is for :D

SLC93
01-08-2008, 07:57 PM
LOL! That's gotta be the best game that I've watched to this day, including this year's Carroll/Northwestern game.

I'm biased but I agree completely.

Plano Wildcat Fan
01-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Well, haven't played any varsity yet, but hopefully next year. I'm a little small at 6'2" and 185lbs playing Center. But that's what off season is for :D

I was 6-1 210 and started 2 years at Plano at Center. I was to small as well but I busted my A** in Offseason, in spring ball and during the summer and I beat out bigger guys for the position. You can too. You got to be dedicated and have faith.

3 Things that I did to get that edge.

1. To get quicker and improve your footwork. Jump rope 20 minutes a
day.

2. To build your endurance/stamina run 7 350yrd laps (1 time around the
outside of the football field in 80 seconds or less with 2 minute rest in
between.

3. Work on your legs. Squats, lunges in the weight room and standing jumps from a squating position until your legs burn and you can't barley stand.

You do those things and eat well then You will bulk up, strengthen up and quicken up.

Good Luck.

Good luck.

Plano Wildcat Fan
01-08-2008, 08:50 PM
He definitely know it. The whole school knows it. We've seen the clips of him on highlight videos, gotten emails from him. He still is a big deal at our school, and definitely the best player to play at Stratford. Just because he did not mention the state title does not mean he doesn't know about it.

It sure sounded like it.

semi68
01-08-2008, 10:10 PM
Seminole High School Indians, 1966-67 , two year starter at tight end

Hoodleboy80
01-09-2008, 03:12 AM
It sure sounded like it.

Not the way I read it. I know the kid, and was on the team with him. We know our history, especially something as significant and as important as that.

rocketbobcat8805
01-09-2008, 10:56 AM
Played a couple of games as a sophmore at Hanks HS in EP at DT and TE in 03...moved to Judson in the offseason...played De junior year in 04, then TE senior year in 05...went to State Semis before losing to Spring westfield...caught a couple of touchdowns against Roosevelt and Madison at home, all while blocking for Kyle Fox senior year...best year of my life...and about that boot camp, no joke its tough...and when i went through it, i HATED it...but when it was over, the sense of accomplishment was huge...and i went to Wagner a couple of weeks ago to visit the coaches, they had the freshman already doing drills similar to boot camp...i got chills, and wanted to change and go out there and do em...*sigh* but i doubt id even make it through anymore...

RedRage00
01-09-2008, 11:11 AM
I never played. I was my older bro's personal cheerleader when he played for Victoria Stroman 90-93 seasons. lol jk about the cheerleader part. But it was tough on my bro who played when Victoria Stroman was 0-49-1 in 5yrs. Their only tie was on Victoria High in 1992(14-14) and he still brags to this day like they won state LOL (since Im a VHS grad). I remember going to those games and it was always fun even when they were losing 50-0 LOL. The Raider fans had PRIDE no matter what the score was. They werent like most fans that just sit there while losing. They were up and dancing and singing. LOL

I went to Victoria High, but I was in band(All about the TRUMPETS baby lol) a couple years before focusing on other things in life that were more important.

Pearland 06
01-09-2008, 11:12 AM

Switch to RB

I never played football, but I did play soccer at Pearland when the team was amazing :)

And I can never figure out why I didn't try out for place-kicker. I can hit a 50 yarder w/o working out....

Maybe I should go try out for UH. Their kicker SUCKS!

Pearland 06
01-09-2008, 11:12 AM
I never played. I was my older bro's personal cheerleader when he played for Victoria Stroman 90-93 seasons. lol jk about the cheerleader part. But it was tough on my bro who played when Victoria Stroman was 0-49-1 in 5yrs. Their only tie was on Victoria High in 1992(14-14) and he still brags to this day like they won state LOL (since Im a VHS grad). I remember going to those games and it was always fun even when they were losing 50-0 LOL. The Raider fans had PRIDE no matter what the score was.

I went to Victoria High, but I was in band(All about the TRUMPETS baby lol) a couple years before focusing on other things in life that were more important.

TRUMPETS FTW!
TKA!

lol I forgot I was in band... maybe that's why I didn't play football.

RedRage00
01-09-2008, 11:15 AM
TRUMPETS FTW!
TKA!

lol I forgot I was in band... maybe that's why I didn't play football.

LOL

Trumpets

LOUD AND PROUD! :D

New Westfield Fan
01-09-2008, 03:02 PM
Temple Wildcats 85-86-87 (graduated 88)

SS in 85. SS/FB 86-87

Baylor WLB 88-91 (graduated 92)

grassroots
01-09-2008, 03:11 PM
Nimitz 05 season varsity K , class of 06:notworthy
small school for college for a year

Willieg
01-09-2008, 03:32 PM
Played on the 04 Westfield Mustang Football team as an WR
Got killed aganist Tyler Lee 28-21 at State

SV61
01-09-2008, 03:34 PM
Played on the 04 Westfield Mustang Football team as an WR
Got killed aganist Tyler Lee 28-21 at State

7 points = killed??

I was at the end of that game, settlin in for the SV/Clear Lake game.

Willieg
01-09-2008, 03:36 PM
7 points = killed??

I was at the end of that game, settlin in for the SV/Clear Lake game.

In our minds we got killed cause they dominated us more than any other team we played and our other loss was to PA Memorial and Jamaal Charles (who had 400 yards of their 405 total yards) by 7

ATownTexan
01-09-2008, 03:46 PM
Richfield High School in '75. I was 129lbs soaking wet and played WR. After I got the SH*T knocked out of me the 30th time by huge LB's I joined the band. Still have flashbacks without the drugs;)

LOL ...... similar thing happened to me @ Judson in the late '80's. I was released on waivers and was able to sign as a free agent with the Soccer Team.

Gateruner
01-09-2008, 03:48 PM
Richland High School. 78-80. Played Fullback in the veer. I believe our senior year was the first team to make the playoffs. Didnt last long though.

bobcat83
01-09-2008, 10:18 PM
SA Roosevelt 79 Varsity 3 years FS/K and some QB alldistrict 2 years and all city 1.Played at Texas State(SWT) 80-83 -didn't play much but was lucky to be apart of the program with Jim Wacker.
Proud Supporter of Smithson Valley and SA Churchill-kids go there

svfootball45
01-10-2008, 07:44 PM

Play TE or something

rellufnalla
01-10-2008, 07:56 PM
The only time I wore a uniform on the field was in second grade playing flag in a parochial school:cool:

Does it count that I was a cheerleader my senior year? :eek:

78 Spartan
01-11-2008, 07:22 AM
was at Houston Stratford in 1977 (8-2, no playoffs) and in 1978 (15-0) 4A champs. it was a lot of fun and yes, it was forever ago.

DiamondJ2
01-11-2008, 04:03 PM
LOL

Trumpets

LOUD AND PROUD! :D

Trumpets rule. I made it to 3rd chair out of 16 trumpets by the time I was a freshman. Then decision time. Band or sports. March or athletic scholarship. Few girls or increase the odds (yeh, I know sexist remark). So I went for the sports side, but still played in the band, but dropped to 8th chair by the time I was a senior. But well worth the extracurricular advantages on weekends with opposite sex and eventually had college education paid for with full athletic scholarship.

Dat Le
01-11-2008, 06:30 PM
Not sure if there's been a thread like this before. Just curious which ones played.

For those who are willing to contribute, please include school, position, year played. Feel free to add anything else like how your team went the years you played, if you went on to play college ball, and any other highlights you wish to add.

Might make some good reading during the off season

Morton Ranch High School
Cornerback (Backup)
Record: 1-9

shslb15
01-11-2008, 06:59 PM
3 year starter at Stratford from 04-06, 2 at fullback and 1 at linebacker because a fullback with no hands with andrew luck at qb doesn't work out so well... and there isn't such thing as a stratford player now that doesn't know about the 78 team, just doesn't exist

PCW Cats
01-12-2008, 05:43 AM
I played at Plano. During my two years there I played Cornerback on defense and QB, WR and TE on offense. Our record was 14-1 and 11-1.

PurpleNation
01-14-2008, 01:42 AM
I was a 2 year letterman at The Lufkin Highschool played Bandit my junior season and Sam Linebacker my senior season. Could have played college ball at Texas College in Tyler, but then I could not have been with my son who I had during my senior season to be specific he was born right after we beat Longview in the playoff's at Bryce.

2003- 9-2

2004- 14-1 lost to eventual state champs SLC 37-30. (Thus the reason I cant stand SLC)

I have tackles on Mike Goodson, Vondrell McGee, and Jerrod Johnson (Scrimage) in my career. But to Jerrod Johnsons's credit he showed me why I would never play Div1 football on 1 play. He went one way and I went the other, but to be honest after playing against Mike Goodson I thought maybe I could go to TAMU because he was horriblly overrated.

Plano Wildcat Fan
01-14-2008, 05:26 PM
I played at Plano. During my two years there I played Cornerback on defense and QB, WR and TE on offense. Our record was 14-1 and 11-1.

Those were some good teams!!