PDA

View Full Version : UIL transfer question

rodjohns
12-27-2007, 01:26 PM
First, congrats to the Trinity and Katy teams on their great season!

I have a quick question for the Football faithful regarding transfer rules. What is the rule for inter - district transfers and UIL eligibility?

Quick Facts:

A Sophomore that never played Varsity only JV.
Moving to different area zoned to a competing High School, still in district.
Highly visible player (possible issue with Coach allowing it).
Not moving for athletic reasons.

What should he expect in terms of issues to be resolved. I know TRob had an issue with the Coach at Spring signing off on the transfer to Klein Oak so he played JV his Junior year. Anyone know why the Coach would not sign off other than TRob is a great Athlete and would cause Spring trouble when they played Oak.

Also, I heard that even if the Basketball Coach and the Football Coach signed off that the UIL could still veto it. Is that true? If it is what reasons could they site?

Thanks...

TulsaHale74
12-27-2007, 08:43 PM
First, congrats to the Trinity and Katy teams on their great season!

I have a quick question for the Football faithful regarding transfer rules. What is the rule for inter - district transfers and UIL eligibility?

Quick Facts:

A Sophomore that never played Varsity only JV.
Moving to different area zoned to a competing High School, still in district.
Highly visible player (possible issue with Coach allowing it).
Not moving for athletic reasons.

What should he expect in terms of issues to be resolved. I know TRob had an issue with the Coach at Spring signing off on the transfer to Klein Oak so he played JV his Junior year. Anyone know why the Coach would not sign off other than TRob is a great Athlete and would cause Spring trouble when they played Oak.

Also, I heard that even if the Basketball Coach and the Football Coach signed off that the UIL could still veto it. Is that true? If it is what reasons could they site?

Thanks...
An athlete that transfers has to prove he/she meets the residency requirements and prove he/she didn't transfer for athletic purposes.

An individual is presumed to have changed schools for athletic purposes if he or she participated with his or her former school in any League athletic contest or practice in grades eight through twelve during any previous school year.

The UIL District Executive Committee (DEC) determines whether a student changed school for athletic purposes for every transfer student. The DEC is composed of one school administrator (principal, asst. principal, AD, etc.) from each member school.

The DEC doesn't veto anything. They give the original approval not the new school.

The DEC will ascertain whether a student was in good standing in the previous school, either academically or in a sports program. They will determine if a student was unhappy with a coach in the previous school.

The old school, the new school, and the parents have to say the student was not recruited and the transfer was not for athletic purposes.

If the old school signs off then the DEC will rarely deny eligibility.

However the old school might sign the form but there could still be data that show problems. When you say "Highly visible player (possible issue with Coach allowing it)" that sounds like something that will be checked regardless of what the form the old school's administrator signed says.

But I'm curious, what is the reason the student is moving? Most households don't like to move when their children are in high school and even if "upgrading" they try to stay in the same high school boundary. What proves the player isn't moving for athletic reasons?

rodjohns
12-27-2007, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the information. I read the UIL previous participation form and it reads alot like what you described.

In this particular case the Parents are having issues and they may not be able to resolve them. So the father has taken up residence in the zone of the competing school.

Appreciate the info...

KAF
12-28-2007, 01:54 AM
http://www.uil.utexas.edu/athletics/manuals/pdf/dec_handbook.pdf

The attached link has the information. Its about half way thru the manual in section 442.

LoneRocket
12-28-2007, 03:54 PM
Also a school within the sending or receiving district (not involved in the transfer) can object and question the student's eligibility.