PDA

View Full Version : More impressive Todd Dodge or Steve Lineweaver

charger85
12-24-2007, 03:03 PM
What is more impressive to you, Todd Dodge winning multiple state championships and changing the way high school football is played in the state of Texas but doing it at one school and not really having much success anywhere else. Or what Steve Lineweaver has done winning multiple state championships and doing it at multiple schools. Just a thought both are great coaches but which is more impressive to you.

TrojanHorse03
12-24-2007, 03:08 PM
Well if you were to ask Coach Lineweaver he'd probably tell you he's not as good a coach as Eddy Peach, so the man himself may defer to Dodge, he's as humble as they come. But if y'all should remember anything Coach Lineweaver ain't done yet...it's just 3 and counting....

BAMF cowboy
12-24-2007, 03:11 PM
Dodge. 4 out of 5, and 3 in a row is unprecedented at the 5A level.

CCHS77
12-24-2007, 03:24 PM
I just glad both made a coaching "stop" at Carroll!

Boss Hawgette
12-24-2007, 04:05 PM
What is more impressive to you, Todd Dodge winning multiple state championships and changing the way high school football is played in the state of Texas but doing it at one school and not really having much success anywhere else. Or what Steve Lineweaver has done winning multiple state championships and doing it at multiple schools. Just a thought both are great coaches but which is more impressive to you.

Apples or oranges, oranges or apples...both are impressive in their own right.

powerofthehaka
12-24-2007, 04:08 PM
I will not dignify this thread with a response. Both are special in their own way.

Wait......I just did.

Trinity Alum
12-24-2007, 05:48 PM
They both are good at what they do. I wouldn't say one is better than the other. They do what works for their program.

SLC93
12-24-2007, 06:08 PM
I love them both, period. Dodge's impact was the most historic and made the bigger splash, one that may never be equaled. Lineweaver is the most underappreciated, great coach of recent history and, perhaps, all time. He's not done a Trinity. The man is simply one of the best program builders of all time. At Carroll, he ran the offensive side of the ball, make no mistake. We were near unstoppable. Folks forget about his three rings from Carroll when they give his total. You know what Commerce was before Steve Lineweaver arrived? They were a team that got beat 56-0 in the first round of the playoffs, consistently. I know because it was us who spanked that arse a few times. Lineweaver arrives and all that stops. He was but a handful of points from having most of Sealy's titles. So it comes as no suprise that he took a campus like Trinity's, unified it and raised it to a new level. No offense to the long time Trojans, I know you've had some good teams in the past, but no coached has ever harvested that campus like Lineweaver has.Whether you pick a side or stand on the fence, there is no wrong choice here.

TrojanHorse03
12-24-2007, 06:11 PM
I love them both, period. Dodge's impact was the most historic and made the bigger splash, one that may never be equaled. Lineweaver is the most underappreciated, great coach of recent history and, perhaps, all time. He's not done a Trinity. The man is simply one of the best program builders of all time. At Carroll, he ran the offensive side of the ball, make no mistake. We were near unstoppable. Folks forget about his three rings from Carroll when they give his total. You know what Commerce was before Steve Lineweaver arrived? They were a team that got beat 56-0 in the first round of the playoffs, consistently. I know because it was us who spanked that arse a few times. Lineweaver arrives and all that stops. He was but a handful of points from having most of Sealy's titles. So it comes as no suprise that he took a campus like Trinity's, unified it and raised it to a new level. No offense to the long time Trojans, I know you've had some good teams in the past, but no coached has ever harvested that campus like Lineweaver has.Whether you pick a side or stand on the fence, there is no wrong choice here.

Perfectly said.

Trinity Alum
12-24-2007, 06:16 PM

Enough said!

DrEdward
12-24-2007, 06:40 PM

Not to be a grinch this evening, but I think I am correct in stating that Lineweaver has two rings from Carroll. He was gone for the third, even though it was still most definitely his offense out there. That aside, both he and Dodge have proven themselves tobe great high school coaches.

slcdragonfan
12-24-2007, 07:21 PM
SLC93 said it all. Very completely. Done!

Super B
08-27-2013, 10:59 AM
Lineweaver is 66. I wonder how many more seasons he will coach.

titus211
08-27-2013, 11:08 AM
Not that special in the split title era. Austin Reagan won 3 titles in 4 years at the top level, which was very impressive when you consider only district champions made the playoffs, so every win was over a district champion, not 3rd or 4th place teams.

tjw
08-27-2013, 11:09 AM
I think both have proven themselves as winners. Did respect the discipline Todd Dodges teams had coming on the field to warm-up.

E-Vol-ution
08-27-2013, 11:13 AM
Both are great and HOF guys........as long as Coach Lineweaver doesn't wear that floral shirt. My eyes still hurt from that. :notworthy

OakTreeUp-n-Out
08-27-2013, 11:40 AM
Not that special in the split title era.

Yes.... it's so common that it happens all the ti... wait.... never. No one else has ever done it.

Good call.

dragonpants
08-27-2013, 11:45 AM
Both men are impressive on and off the field.
However what Lineweaver has accomplished as a body of work to me is more impressive.
Not taking anything away from TD but SL has done it at multiple schools.

I love TD but to say he changed the way Texas HS football was played is a little too much.
There were teams that were running the spread with precision before TD did, take a peek at what Briles was doing at Stephenville and Harrell at Ennis before TD was doing it.
He may have done it better(debatable) but he was certainly not the first.

LPack007
08-27-2013, 11:56 AM

How did he change the way high school football was played in this state? Btw....I gotta pick Lineweaver. He was able to have success at multiple schools like others have said and of course he won those championships at Trinity in 5A. Although they were in 3A, SLC had a lot of titles and a winning tradition before TD came to town. So, I think Lineweaver's record and success over the years have been more impressive.

LPack007
08-27-2013, 11:56 AM
Both men are impressive on and off the field.
However what Lineweaver has accomplished as a body of work to me is more impressive.
Not taking anything away from TD but SL has done it at multiple schools.

I love TD but to say he changed the way Texas HS football was played is a little too much.
There were teams that were running the spread with precision before TD did, take a peek at what Briles was doing at Stephenville and Harrell at Ennis before TD was doing it.
He may have done it better(debatable) but he was certainly not the first.

Agree.

Bass
08-27-2013, 01:00 PM
Not that special in the split title era. Austin Reagan won 3 titles in 4 years at the top level, which was very impressive when you consider only district champions made the playoffs, so every win was over a district champion, not 3rd or 4th place teams.

That was back when half the teams didn't actually know how to play. And three out of four isn't the same as three in a row.

THE OLDMAN
08-27-2013, 01:04 PM
That's hard to say but if I had to pick one it would be Dodge!

wolfpack4life
08-27-2013, 01:19 PM
Lineweaver has history of winning before Euless Trinity. Soo..

Grainraiser
08-27-2013, 01:53 PM
I have great respect for both coaches both on and off the field but I would have to give the the edge to Lineweaver. He has done it at multiple stops and turned average teams into great teams. Dodge walked into a great situation and took it up another level. Both of Texas HOF coaches.

Reggie

mojotrain
08-27-2013, 05:14 PM

four out of five ok but not three in a row

Fleeman93
08-27-2013, 05:17 PM
I'm real curious to see what Dodge does at Marble Falls. Saw one game last year (Boerne Champion) and both offenses looked incredible and both defenses looked piss poor.

Trinity 94 UNT 2000
08-27-2013, 10:31 PM
Good Evening

I gotta go with Lineweaver.

Dodge’s high school record is pretty pedestrian when not at SLC.

Dodge’s teams at UNT would make you puke in your mouth. PUKE IN YOUR MOUTH.

Dodge’s High School Career
1994…..Cameron Yoe……..3-7
1995…..Cameron Yoe……..5-5
1996…..Newman Smith…..4-6
1997…..Newman Smith…..5-5
1998…..Fossil Ridge…………2-7
1999…..Fossil Ridge…………5-5
2012…..Marble Falls………..4-6
7 Years…………………………28-41

“The Mustangs prolific passing attack set state records and raised eyebrows during legendary coach Dodge’s inaugural season at the school, highlighted by graduated QB Mike Richardson’s state record 725 yards passing against Boerne Champion. Now, Dodge must find some complementary defense if Marble Falls hopes to contend for a playoff spot in one of the toughest 4A districts in the state. The Mustangs gave up 41 points a game in 2012……..” -Dave Campbells 2013.

Without Todd Dodge SLC has won 4 other championships…88,92,93,2011.

Good Luck Marble Falls.

Thankyou

Trinity 94 UNT 2000
08-28-2013, 11:45 PM
Good Evening

It has been over 24 hours. So I guess Lineweaver won?

Thankyou

SLCbacker
08-29-2013, 12:01 AM
Good Evening

Thankyou

Good Evening

Lineweaver had this argument hands down, but with 23 hours and 59 minutes past, he faked a punt and did not make it. Dodge wins again!!

Thankyou

Trinity 94 UNT 2000
08-29-2013, 12:09 AM
Good Evening

SLCBACKER.......you win for comment of the day. That make me genuinely chuckle out loud. Good job.

Thankyou

SLCbacker
08-29-2013, 12:13 AM
Good Evening

SLCBACKER.......you win for comment of the day. That make me genuinely chuckle out loud. Good job.

Thankyou

I couldn't resist. :) I enjoy all of your analysis. Thanks for all the hard work.

Trinity-Jagger
08-29-2013, 05:17 AM
Both Coaches do things their way.
I can`t pick one or the other ,,,,but will say either way I look at it IMHO the apple didn`t fall to far from the tree as they say.
Both men are Legendary Coaches in Texas High School IMHO .

​GO JAGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DrEdward
08-29-2013, 07:29 AM
Good Evening

Thankyou

Good Evening

Lineweaver had this argument hands down, but with 23 hours and 59 minutes past, he faked a punt and did not make it. Dodge wins again!!

Thankyou

Well played, sir.

TrinityTrojan299
08-29-2013, 11:13 AM
Good Evening

Thankyou

:rofl:
I just spit coffee all over my computer monitor....Best. Reply. Ever.