PDA

View Full Version : The 2005 Odessa Permian Team?

cougarcb16
05-15-2005, 06:15 PM
I was wondering how you guys feel about Mojo in 2005. The Panthers are coming off of a 4-6 2004 season and a 6-4 2003 season. Mojo has not been what it used to be since the early 90's. The last time they won a district title was in 94 and the last time they were "sucessfull was in 98 when they went to the Quarterfinals but lost to Duncanville 24-14. They now have a new coach, Darren Allman who was a Mojo alumni and they have there very succesful past coach Gary Gaines at the AD spot. It seems like the town and the kids have a renewed spirit. Looking at some of their spring training videos, the team looks decently good. They are in District 3, with powers Midland Lee and Cooper so it wont be easy. With my limited knowledge I think they might regain their strenght this year. What do you guys think?

Also, please no flaming because it is another Permian thread. I know and understand why people might be angry that the team gets so much attention from a movie that was mostly hollywood. But the book was true and you cant deny it. Also there is an aura about Permian that entices people who arent from Texas. Two national championships and six Texas championships and Ratliff Stadium are things to dream about.

BTW, this is a great forum, a great getaway for a depreived NYer of football.

jtk1519
05-15-2005, 06:57 PM
I think Permian will once again be on the outside, but in a few years things may be different. The problem for Permian is that there are four very solid programs going right now and none reside in Odessa. Abilene High, Cooper, Midland and Midland Lee should be in the playoff race. Abilene High is all but a lock. I have no doubt that Cooper will be in as well and Lee and Midland High are both doing very well. Here's how I think they'll finish...

1. Abilene High
2. Midland Lee
3. Abilene Cooper
4. Midland High
5. Odessa Permian
6. Odessa High

Permian just needs time. That's something none of the previous head coaches have been given. You just cant expect a coach to come into a doormat program and turn them into a contender overnight... especially when they play in such a tough district. If Allman can get the entire program (from varsity down to jr. high) back to fundamentals and discipline... I wouldnt be surprised to see Permian contending for the bell in a couple of years.

cougarcb16
05-15-2005, 07:59 PM
Have you heard the rumors that the district lines had been moved bringing talent out of Permian High into Odessa High?

jtk1519
05-15-2005, 08:45 PM
Have you heard the rumors that the district lines had been moved bringing talent out of Permian High into Odessa High?

I really dont follow the ECISD enough to say for sure. I've heard somebody say that Odessa High is allowed to "recruit" kids from Permian zones. Something to do with AP classes or something like that. Gaines has his hands full out there, but if anybody can straighten things out... it's probably him.

cougarcb16
05-15-2005, 08:58 PM
Yea Ive heard that Gaines will be making some changes. He was sucessful, so hopefully he can help Permian get back on its feet. Its sad to see one of Texas's most storied programs being in the gutter like this.

Shoot2thrill
05-15-2005, 09:52 PM
Yea Ive heard that Gaines will be making some changes. He was sucessful, so hopefully he can help Permian get back on its feet. Its sad to see one of Texas's most storied programs being in the gutter like this.

Cougar, even though I have enjoyed Abilene whooping up on Permian the last 6 years, even I miss the "swagger" that Mojo use to have. They were truly a program without equal for many years here in Texas. Their run of success is not likely to be equalled. Supposedly, Allman is very defensive minded and will work to turn that around first. Permian's defense has been awful the past few years and in the old days the D was what won them so many games. I have been around them 35 years and I never remember them being an Offensive juggernaut. It's no fun beating them by 35-40 points. I mean it. Here's hoping they return to a level that makes them a force to be reckoned with once again. :cool:

Texas Hammer
05-16-2005, 02:39 AM
Permian will have a hard time making the playoffs because the Abilene and Midland schools are better. Gaines is the AD, but he has to do what's best for both schools and not cater to Permian. The last time I heard, Ector County ISD set up open attendance zones where you could go where you wanted to go. That saves Permian recruiting dollars! :D

It does seem odd that MOJO isn't a strong playoff team any more.

odessapermian.com
05-16-2005, 05:56 AM
The ECISD does not have open enrollment. The attendance zones have not been changed in many years. However, the school district did set up AP classes at Odessa High that were not offered at Permian. This went on for a few years until the state ruled that these classes could not be offered at one school exclusively. There are also federally-mandated "Minority to Majority" transfer rules that have been in place for years. This allows a student who is in the majority at one school to transfer to the other school. For example, Odessa High has more Hispanic students than Permian does. Under the M&M rule, that student could transfer to Permian if he wanted to. The rule is an attempt to balance the racial makeup of the two schools.

cougarcb16
05-16-2005, 05:02 PM
OdessaPermian.Com, I am guessing you are from Odessa, so has that new rule affected the football there? Do you know why the reason was for the sudden downfall for the Panthers? Have you seen the spring training? What do you think? I have read some message boards for Mojo and they seem pretty optimistic. Also, everyone seems to like Allman, and he has that win above all attitude that is good. Do you have any predictions for this year?

TexasRed6x
05-16-2005, 07:18 PM
This team is still not ready to compete, it will be Friday Night Low Lights with a finish of 4-6.

lonny23
05-16-2005, 07:23 PM
This team is still not ready to compete, it will be Friday Night Low Lights with a finish of 4-6.
Which 4 teams do they beat?

lonny23
05-16-2005, 07:24 PM
The ECISD does not have open enrollment. The attendance zones have not been changed in many years. However, the school district did set up AP classes at Odessa High that were not offered at Permian. This went on for a few years until the state ruled that these classes could not be offered at one school exclusively. There are also federally-mandated "Minority to Majority" transfer rules that have been in place for years. This allows a student who is in the majority at one school to transfer to the other school. For example, Odessa High has more Hispanic students than Permian does. Under the M&M rule, that student could transfer to Permian if he wanted to. The rule is an attempt to balance the racial makeup of the two schools.
Judson has a little loophole, too. They'll have some classes like Army and Air Force ROTC, along with vocational/career courses that aren't offered at both schools.

odessapermian.com
05-16-2005, 08:54 PM
OdessaPermian.Com, I am guessing you are from Odessa, so has that new rule affected the football there? Do you know why the reason was for the sudden downfall for the Panthers? Have you seen the spring training? What do you think? I have read some message boards for Mojo and they seem pretty optimistic. Also, everyone seems to like Allman, and he has that win above all attitude that is good. Do you have any predictions for this year?

There were many small things that added up to the downfall. Neglect of the feeder schools and sub-varsities was a factor. Losing several coaches that had come up through the system hurt a lot IMHO (when Randy Quisenberry left he took some good guys with him) and the replacements for those coaches were not up to par. The AP policy may have been a small factor, although I don't think the kids that have taken advantage of the AP program were all athletes. I think these were all things that added up to the downturn of the program.

Yes, I have seen most of the spring training (son's Little League baseball has made me miss a couple of practices). As for Allman, you will not find a bigger proponent than me. I have been touting him for two years, believing that if we ever were to give a young guy with MOJO blood a shot, he was the obvious choice. As to the coaches that have been here since Randy Mayes was released (Mills and Smith), I truly don't think they understood how hard the teams in our district work. Allman will not make that mistake. Predictions? My only prediction is IMHO we will be better.

Texas Hammer
05-16-2005, 09:05 PM
There were many small things that added up to the downfall. Neglect of the feeder schools and sub-varsities was a factor. Losing several coaches that had come up through the system hurt a lot IMHO (when Randy Quisenberry left he took some good guys with him) and the replacements for those coaches were not up to par. The AP policy may have been a small factor, although I don't think the kids that have taken advantage of the AP program were all athletes. I think these were all things that added up to the downturn of the program.

Yes, I have seen most of the spring training (son's Little League baseball has made me miss a couple of practices). As for Allman, you will not find a bigger proponent than me. I have been touting him for two years, believing that if we ever were to give a young guy with MOJO blood a shot, he was the obvious choice. As to the coaches that have been here since Randy Mayes was released (Mills and Smith), I truly don't think they understood how hard the teams in our district work. Allman will not make that mistake. Predictions? My only prediction is IMHO we will be better.
I sure thought Mills could be successful there with his past success. Maybe he was outclassed in 5A.

cougarcb16
05-17-2005, 07:59 AM

Thanks for that info. Has the problem with the feeder schools been fixed? And by this you mean middle schools right?