PDA

View Full Version : Celebrations

ALLSTAR
04-04-2005, 05:01 PM
What is the farthest a high school player can go when he celebrates?? on offense and on defense? just wondering, im not sure on the rules for that particular phase of the game...

Red Raiders
04-04-2005, 05:02 PM
What is the farthest a high school player can go when he celebrates?? on offense and on defense? just wondering, im not sure on the rules for that particular phase of the game...

Do you mean like when they win state? I will say Defense if you know what I mean.

MojoRaiderPower
04-04-2005, 05:05 PM
I don't know (I think it is ref's descression) but ive always been a fan of handing the ball to the ref, and reload for the next play!!!

ktchamp97
04-04-2005, 06:04 PM

There's no clear cut line, per se, but they'll usually throw a flag if a player goes out of his way to call attention to himself. I once saw a player score, run over to the nearest news camera, and try to lick the camera through his facemask. I think the ref was too baffled to do anything at that point...I don't think a flag was thrown. In other words, it's purely a judgment call. :D

Dds115
04-04-2005, 08:57 PM
I think that in High School refs realize that most things the players do is out of pure excitement, not to show off. I think in the pros that all they players want to do is show off, they make $20,000 everytime they touch the ball, they sure as heck better do something! But all in all I think when a HS player does something, they are celebrating out of excitement, not to be unsportsman like.

Red Raiders
04-04-2005, 09:30 PM
I think that in High School refs realize that most things the players do is out of pure excitement, not to show off. I think in the pros that all they players want to do is show off, they make $20,000 everytime they touch the ball, they sure as heck better do something! But all in all I think when a HS player does something, they are celebrating out of excitement, not to be unsportsman like.

Are you sure they make $20,000 everytime they touch the ball, I am not sure about that. :confused:

Owned05
04-05-2005, 12:50 PM

Not to be unsportsman like?

Katy has played a few teams that loved to celebrate when they scored or even before the game even started.

Alief Elsik, for example, before the game. I think most Tiger fans know what I'm refering to.

'Dis Our Ring!'

Needless to say, we stomped the living hell out of them.

I also believe John Tyler was reaaaaaally bad with celebrating. Call me racist if you want, but its obvious that most inner city schools are the ones with the players going out there and 'dancing' after they score. But I've seen some non-inner city schools do the same, so..

All I have to say is blame it on T.O.

But, ktchamp hit the nail on the head, it's purely a judgement call by the officials.

Red Raiders
04-05-2005, 05:15 PM
Not to be unsportsman like?

Katy has played a few teams that loved to celebrate when they scored or even before the game even started.

Alief Elsik, for example, before the game. I think most Tiger fans know what I'm refering to.

'Dis Our Ring!'

Needless to say, we stomped the living hell out of them.

I also believe John Tyler was reaaaaaally bad with celebrating. Call me racist if you want, but its obvious that most inner city schools are the ones with the players going out there and 'dancing' after they score. But I've seen some non-inner city schools do the same, so..

All I have to say is blame it on T.O.

But, ktchamp hit the nail on the head, it's purely a judgement call by the officials.

Why call you racist that John Tyler have really bad celebrating? what did they do? Are you saying that John Tyler is an African American School? I am not being racist, I am being curious.

Dds115
04-05-2005, 05:25 PM
Are you sure they make $20,000 everytime they touch the ball, I am not sure about that. :confused:

I didn't mean it litterally, just to show that they make a butt load of money every game, which works out to be probably some un-Godly number like that.

Dds115
04-05-2005, 05:26 PM
Owned05, I personally think that FOR THE MOST PART, it is out of being happy. Maybe that's just what I have observed.

Owned05
04-05-2005, 06:27 PM
Why call you racist that John Tyler have really bad celebrating? what did they do? Are you saying that John Tyler is an African American School? I am not being racist, I am being curious.

John Tyler and inner schools are predominantly african american.

So, yes, that is what I'm saying.

ALLSTAR
04-05-2005, 06:29 PM
well one of my friends plays football, and he said that next year after they score they are going to salute like the broncos used to do with terrell davis, and what one of yall said about inner city schools just celebrating... i would have to say thats false, because my friends team is all white, and a few blacks... but their "white" too, and they love to celebrate haha

CCHS77
04-05-2005, 06:32 PM
I don't know (I think it is ref's descression) but ive always been a fan of handing the ball to the ref, and reload for the next play!!!

That, my friend, is exactly how all TDs should be celebrated. (Maybe state title winning TD should get more lee-way, however!!!!!!!!!!!)

Owned05
04-05-2005, 06:45 PM
well one of my friends plays football, and he said that next year after they score they are going to salute like the broncos used to do with terrell davis, and what one of yall said about inner city schools just celebrating... i would have to say thats false, because my friends team is all white, and a few blacks... but their "white" too, and they love to celebrate haha

I know "white" schools do it too. But you usually see it with the inner city schools with no discipline.

It's ok to celebrate, don't get me wrong. But some teams do it EVERY time they score or even get a first down. Not only is it disrespectful to the other team, it also makes your very own program look like trash.

A coach of mine once told me, and I'm sure many of you have heard this line before..

"Act like you've been there before and you'll be there again".

CoppellCowboy57
04-06-2005, 03:31 PM
a celebration was the only thing that kept Coppell from going to a State Championship game back in 2000 or 99 i dont remember, but somebuddy scored a touchdown giving us the oppertunity for the go ahead two point conversion but then he spiked the ball, causing a 15yard penalty. We go for the extra point to tie, wide left...28-27 arg...
I blame the green ppl...idk why i just do :)

dragonsdaddy
04-06-2005, 04:00 PM
it, the penalty and its result, couldn't have happened to a more deserving player, the same one who the year before after a close 7on7 game at coppell went slc's way started cussing the parents and trying to start a fight. when i heard about the celebration penalty i prayed that it had invoved him. what goes around came around to him.

Red Raiders
04-06-2005, 04:22 PM
John Tyler and inner schools are predominantly african american.

So, yes, that is what I'm saying.

Yes they have almost all African American at John Tyler and its kind of not that inner city but look at Lee, there inside broadway which is very crowded and there almost all white at Lee so?

LP_FAN_in_Plano
04-07-2005, 07:48 AM
IMHO individual celebrations are extremely selfish. They are all about getting attention, LOOK WHAT I DID! These individuals forget that it took eleven players to make it happen. So you scored a touchdown, big deal. That's what's supposed to happen. Your not the first or will you be the last. Just give the ball to ref and get ready to do it again.

Bilbo
04-07-2005, 09:27 AM
I think a modest celebration is allright, you'll never get rid of celebrating, the pressure, joy, and relief for scoring points will come out (especially in playoff games). I would however like to see more consistency from the referee's -
what was OK last friday will get you in trouble next friday!

CoppellCowboy57
04-07-2005, 01:18 PM
You know you prob shouldnt be talking smack at him, because he was one of the best players we have ever had, and he backed up his talk with his play, one mistake all season, cost us a bid for a state championship

dragonsdaddy
04-07-2005, 01:37 PM
you wouldn't or shouldn't have been very proud of his antics that june day. i had never seen anyone, esp a punk teenager threaten and curse innocent bystanders like that. no coaches from ringo's staff said a word. the slc coaches kept the peace by taking charge of their kids. ringo and the kid became less than admirable from then on in many eyes. not a knock on coppell, but it's the truth. i still feel gladness when i'm reminded of the penalty and the loss.

CoppellCowboy57
04-07-2005, 01:45 PM
:mad: Yeah well its still fresh in Coppells mind

LP_FAN_in_Plano
04-08-2005, 08:41 AM
You know you prob shouldnt be talking smack at him, because he was one of the best players we have ever had, and he backed up his talk with his play, one mistake all season, cost us a bid for a state championship
Like I said earlier, these individuals put themselves above the rest of team when they do their celebration antics. One selfish mistake by that individual cost the whole team a shot a the state championship. It's about theteam not the individual.

mojo61
04-08-2005, 10:19 AM
I'm gonna' have to agree w/ MojoRaiderPower: hand the ball to the ref. & start getting ready for the next play. We were taught it's a team effort, anyway. But I'm an old dinosaur; I don't understand "celebrations" by a single player. It was just considered unsportsman-like in my day. I'll never get used to it; it still chaps my hide a good bit.

Cdawg
04-08-2005, 10:33 AM
act like you have done it before, thats what i always say. when my oldest son scored his first touchdown in pop warner, he spiked the ball and i really think its what he thought he was supposed to do from seeing television. the ref took the time to say a few words to him, i don't know what was said, probably the same thing i told him afterward, but believe me he has not done it since. he hands the ball to the ref. it made me very proud this year when my youngest son scored his first touchdown ever, he went to the ref and handed him the ball. anyways thats my two cents worth. celebrate after the game, with taste of course.

mojo61
04-08-2005, 12:49 PM
Good post, Cdawg. The kids just try to emulate pro athletes that they see on tv; unfortunately, many of their pro heroes aren't good role models for behavior after the play. You did well to counsel your son the way you did--I wish more parents would do it.

POB
04-11-2005, 05:56 PM
I got this one...any taunting, gang celebrations, and croud celebrations.

ALLIN
04-14-2005, 11:48 AM
Cdawg, when do we get to see these so called "boys" on Friday night? I bet they have had lots of opportunity to hand the ball to the ref :D :D

TIGER07
04-14-2005, 11:58 AM
act like you have done it before, thats what i always say. when my oldest son scored his first touchdown in pop warner, he spiked the ball and i really think its what he thought he was supposed to do from seeing television. the ref took the time to say a few words to him, i don't know what was said, probably the same thing i told him afterward, but believe me he has not done it since. he hands the ball to the ref. it made me very proud this year when my youngest son scored his first touchdown ever, he went to the ref and handed him the ball. anyways thats my two cents worth. celebrate after the game, with taste of course.

Very nicely stated.... :) :) :)

wide-e-wide
04-14-2005, 12:19 PM
Like the previous poster stated...they are just doing what
they see the pros do...It's unacceptable...And the reason you
can't allow it, is because it will always grow bigger and bigger. One
kid will have to "out-do" the other...until it is a big circus. I say
have some class. Why not hand the ball to the ref, and go
high-five your lineman...after all they are probably the reason your
in the end zone to begin with...