PDA

View Full Version : In Texas!!!

NewSherriffInTown
05-15-2005, 05:04 AM
I'm leaving from NY right this second...I'll be in Memphis tonight, Dallas on Monday night, and Austin on Tuesday....

See everyone later...

if I can't post from Texas, talk to you in 10 days when I'm back

LP-79
05-15-2005, 06:27 AM
Have a safe journey!

Shoot2thrill
05-15-2005, 06:34 AM
If you escape from NYC and make it to Texas, why would you go back? :D

Texas Hammer
05-15-2005, 03:39 PM
If you escape from NYC and make it to Texas, why would you go back? :D
That's the truth. I never have figured out why some people want to live there. I can understand always living there and not knowing better.

pack4life
05-15-2005, 03:50 PM
It just depends on what type of person you are, New York City is one of the most fast paced places in the world, so if you like that, then thats the place for you. Texas is more laid back fun. Don't get me wrong NYC is a very fun place to go, but i prefer Texas over anywhere else.

Texas Hammer
05-15-2005, 03:55 PM
It just depends on what type of person you are, New York City is one of the most fast paced places in the world, so if you like that, then thats the place for you. Texas is more laid back fun. Don't get me wrong NYC is a very fun place to go, but i prefer Texas over anywhere else.
NYC is supposed to be fast-paced, but it's so crowded that everybody is mad at each other for being slowed down. I'm just a guy who likes houses and they don't have an overabundance of them in NYC. The houses they do have are small. One time, I looked at the NY Times on the day I was born and they had houses/apartments for sale at like $150,000. I couldn't believe that.

jtk1519
05-15-2005, 04:02 PM
That's the truth. I never have figured out why some people want to live there. I can understand always living there and not knowing better.

Because it is the greatest city in the world with a level of excitement unmatched in the US. There's just nothing like it. It's not for everybody of course. You're talking about a city roughly the size of Abilene, TX with the population of the entire Metroplex, Austin and San Antonio packed in those city limits.

If I could afford it (the avg. price of a Manhattan apt. is $1 million) I would move back in a heartbeat and this is coming from guy that wants to die clutching the Texas flag.

drgnbkr
05-15-2005, 04:18 PM
JTK, I don't see any of the Abilene Eagle folks on here so I'll ask you..who does Abilene High have for a running back this year? It seems like the offense is in pretty good shape again.

jtk1519
05-15-2005, 04:24 PM
JTK, I don't see any of the Abilene Eagle folks on here so I'll ask you..who does Abilene High have for a running back this year? It seems like the offense is in pretty good shape again.

Casey Bell. He's a 5'11 180 senior that saw some mop up duty during the first couple of games last year. He only saw time in the first four games, but managed to rush for something like 250 yards and close to 10 ypc. HE also had some huge kick retruns. He moved to Duncanville shortly after the 4th game, but moved back earlier this year so he will be the starter. He's not the shifty kind of back that Kobey was, but he's bigger and much faster. I dont see the Eagle running game dropping off any at all.

Shoot2thrill
05-15-2005, 04:29 PM

We have a kid named Casey Bell. He started out as Kobey's backup last year and saw action in the first 2 blowout wins averaging about 7-8 yards a carry. He then disappeared from the roster. I found out through his grandmother that his parents are split up and he went to live with one of them in the metroplex. He was back by December as it did not work out. So he re-enrolled at AHS and will be the starting RB this year. No doubt he would have been a 1000 yarder last year as Kobey was pulled at the half in many games. He is slightly larger than Kobey but probably not as elusive. You gotta watch his first cut though- he can motor. :eek:

Texas Hammer
05-15-2005, 04:40 PM
Because it is the greatest city in the world with a level of excitement unmatched in the US. There's just nothing like it. It's not for everybody of course. You're talking about a city roughly the size of Abilene, TX with the population of the entire Metroplex, Austin and San Antonio packed in those city limits.

If I could afford it (the avg. price of a Manhattan apt. is $1 million) I would move back in a heartbeat and this is coming from guy that wants to die clutching the Texas flag.
You might've just answered my question I posed over on the college support thread. ;)

jtk1519
05-15-2005, 05:05 PM
You might've just answered my question I posed over on the college support thread. ;)

In terms of energy and excitement, Austin is about as close to New York as you will find in Texas. I love that diversity. I dont like walking down the street and seeing the same color people wearing the same kind of close doing pretty much the same thing. I like all that diversity.

Plus, New York is home to the best food in the world. You just havent lived until you've eaten a hot dog from the Nathan's Hot Dog stand on Coney Island, or eaten a slice of pizza from Totonno's Pizzeria in Brooklyn. They are life changing experiences. :D

jtk1519
05-15-2005, 05:12 PM
All that being said, I wouldnt really live anywhere other than Manhattan. Everything you could ever want is right there on that island. There are just two downsides... It is expensive as hell. My cousin lives on the Upper West Side and he pays $100 a month for a parking space in a garage three block from his home and that is a pretty good deal. That's on top of the $2500 a month he pays for an 1100 square foot apt. Second, the Yankees. Everywhere you go, you have to put up with the Yankees. There is no sport team in the world that I hate more, so this is hard for me to deal with.

pack4life
05-15-2005, 05:19 PM
All that being said, I wouldnt really live anywhere other than Manhattan. Everything you could ever want is right there on that island. There are just two downsides... It is expensive as hell. My cousin lives on the Upper West Side and he pays $100 a month for a parking space in a garage three block from his home and that is a pretty good deal. That's on top of the $2500 a month he pays for an 1100 square foot apt. Second, the Yankees. Everywhere you go, you have to put up with the Yankees. There is no sport team in the world that I hate more, so this is hard for me to deal with.

Since things are so expensive, is the revenue rate higher in NY?

jtk1519
05-15-2005, 05:29 PM
Since things are so expensive, is the revenue rate higher in NY?

Yes. My cousin is an investment analyst in NYC and makes 3 times what he was making in Dallas.

Texas Hammer
05-16-2005, 02:47 AM
In terms of energy and excitement, Austin is about as close to New York as you will find in Texas. I love that diversity. I dont like walking down the street and seeing the same color people wearing the same kind of close doing pretty much the same thing. I like all that diversity.

Plus, New York is home to the best food in the world. You just havent lived until you've eaten a hot dog from the Nathan's Hot Dog stand on Coney Island, or eaten a slice of pizza from Totonno's Pizzeria in Brooklyn. They are life changing experiences. :D
I used to eat Nathan's Hot Dogs on the New Jersey Turnpike, but I never saw the big hype behind them. Then again, I wasn't up in arms about the snack foos company in Philly, either. Both companies were good, but not life-changing experiences.

Texas Hammer
05-16-2005, 02:51 AM
Answer this for me. Why do the papers like the Times and Post give about 8 pages daily to the Mets and Yankees and on a good day 6 pages for every other sport? The thing that has always gotten my goat is how the NY papers think nobody cares about anything outside NYC. It's so insulated and they, nor the TV networks, don't realize some people could care less about NYC.

Texas Hammer
05-16-2005, 02:53 AM
Yes. My cousin is an investment analyst in NYC and makes 3 times what he was making in Dallas.
That's the thing I always noticed about CA, too. The housing prices are much higher than Texas, but many to most people don't make enough of a difference in salary to make up for the increased prices.

CoppellCowboy57
05-16-2005, 01:46 PM
You think he made it?

cougarcb16
05-16-2005, 05:08 PM
NY, is not all about Manhattan. But a good part of it is lol. Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens, Staten Island are also part of the city. A lot of people consider Long Island and Wechester mainland NY too. I am from Long Island.

Ive been to most parts of Dallas and Houston as well as the Texas countryside and I must say that it is totally different.

Also, please dont assume that all or most NY'ers are Yankees fans. Its about 50 50 and I persoanlly hate the Yankees. They are a garbage orginization.

On the final note, what is up with you crazy people saying you want to move or live in NY. NO YOU DONT. We are football deprived here. HS football sucks compared to Texas HS football, its not even close. In a lot of cities, including my own, soccer is more popular. You should be happy, you get to enjoy Texas HS football ;).

supercentex
05-16-2005, 05:37 PM
I've been to NYC...it's a cool place to visit...but, you wouldn't want to live there unless it's to better your career or to attend school there.

lonny23
05-16-2005, 07:32 PM
NY, is not all about Manhattan. But a good part of it is lol. Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens, Staten Island are also part of the city. A lot of people consider Long Island and Wechester mainland NY too. I am from Long Island.

Ive been to most parts of Dallas and Houston as well as the Texas countryside and I must say that it is totally different.

Also, please dont assume that all or most NY'ers are Yankees fans. Its about 50 50 and I persoanlly hate the Yankees. They are a garbage orginization.

On the final note, what is up with you crazy people saying you want to move or live in NY. NO YOU DONT. We are football deprived here. HS football sucks compared to Texas HS football, its not even close. In a lot of cities, including my own, soccer is more popular. You should be happy, you get to enjoy Texas HS football ;).
You won't catch me saying I want to live in NY!

cougarcb16
05-16-2005, 07:40 PM
You won't catch me saying I want to live in NY!

Your a very smart man.

lonny23
05-16-2005, 07:42 PM
Your a very smart man.
Going to all 50 states has taught me that there is no better place to live than Texas. There are some other states out there that I like a lot, but none can match the Lone Star State.

NewSherriffInTown
05-16-2005, 08:14 PM
Well

I made it here. I'm in Leander right now about a stone's throw from Leander High..still looking for a spring game to attend.

Manhattan is an amazing place, but probably not a great place to live. Westchester is amazing (its where I live lol). Long Island has the same type of communities that Westchester has. It's extremely expensive to live here because so many people move here from the city.

FYI...

my father house is like 1500 square feet and worth close to 500 thousand dollars.

my moms house in leander is 2900 and was bought for 110 thousand. I think I'm going to miss Westchester alot, but my job market is going to be down here once I finish up school. Pro sports dominate up there and I want to work in a college athletic dept.

cougarcb16
05-16-2005, 08:28 PM
Glad to hear that you made it there safe. Have some fun with those spring games.

Texas Hammer
05-16-2005, 08:45 PM
Well

I made it here. I'm in Leander right now about a stone's throw from Leander High..still looking for a spring game to attend.

Manhattan is an amazing place, but probably not a great place to live. Westchester is amazing (its where I live lol). Long Island has the same type of communities that Westchester has. It's extremely expensive to live here because so many people move here from the city.

FYI...

my father house is like 1500 square feet and worth close to 500 thousand dollars.

my moms house in leander is 2900 and was bought for 110 thousand. I think I'm going to miss Westchester alot, but my job market is going to be down here once I finish up school. Pro sports dominate up there and I want to work in a college athletic dept.
It's good to hear that you're here safe. Like the saying goes, "I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could!"

jtk1519
05-16-2005, 10:10 PM

That's true about the lack of football, but the basketball is second to none. We saw some games in Harlem that just blew away anything I have ever seen before. Not just street ball... I'm talking high school ball.

Pro sports in New York suck. I could maybe root for the Jets if I tried very hard, but I would really have to try. Yankees suck, Mets suck, Nets suck, Knicks suck, Rangers suck, Islanders suck, Giants suck, etc. There's also no major college sports up there which would be very hard for me to get used to. St. John's basketball used to be real good, but I think they've fallen off. You have to travel to Philly of Boston for any good college sports.

I dont think Manahttan is where I would want to raise a family, but being young and single... it's the perfect place. I've been out to Long Island before. It was very nice. Lots of beautiful homes and some nice beaches. Seemed like the perfect place to raise a family.

lonny23
05-16-2005, 10:13 PM
That's true about the lack of football, but the basketball is second to none. We saw some games in Harlem that just blew away anything I have ever seen before. Not just street ball... I'm talking high school ball.

Pro sports in New York suck. I could maybe root for the Jets if I tried very hard, but I would really have to try. Yankees suck, Mets suck, Nets suck, Knicks suck, Rangers suck, Islanders suck, Giants suck, etc. There's also no major college sports up there which would be very hard for me to get used to. St. John's basketball used to be real good, but I think they've fallen off. You have to travel to Philly of Boston for any good college sports.

I dont think Manahttan is where I would want to raise a family, but being young and single... it's the perfect place. I've been out to Long Island before. It was very nice. Lots of beautiful homes and some nice beaches. Seemed like the perfect place to raise a family.
I could live with Long Island a little easier, but there is one problem I have with it. You have to go through the boroughs to go anyplace else!

cougarcb16
05-17-2005, 08:09 AM

Hey Hey Hey, lets not get out of hand here. My Jets did pretty good in the playoffs last year and my Mets are looking to have a good season this year. You can screw all the other teams but not the Mets and the Jets.

As for Long Island, I live here right now and it is true that there are a lot of nice communities and nice beaches. But also keep in mind, just like other places there are a lot of bad communities too. There are places that are like the city, with gang violence and bad schools that you would not want to raise a family.

The borough thing is true, but you get used to it I guess.