PDA

View Full Version : Can Rocket Pride Arise from the Dead?

eingedikid
10-15-2005, 10:16 AM
The current disarray of the team and coaches notwithstanding, I place easily half the reason for what's happened in recent times with the continued degradation of the spirit and support group contribution. I could run off a whole litany of things, and I won't here (this post will be long enough as it is), but just suffice it to say that the crowd and possibly student body for that matter has seemingly been taken out of any meaningful or effectively choreographed active participation for the past several years. What you see going on off the field with the Band (it's almost gotten to the point that I'm embarrassed to even think I was once in a Mighty Rocket Band that used to make tremendous contributions in support of what was going on down on the field) and the cheerleaders is not and has not been for quite some time what could be considered "Rocketball" spirit, and it has now manifested itself into some of the most played-out and stodgy demonstrations of spirit not unlike what everyone and their dog does at other schools now on the one hand, and on the other hand a situation where what the band does at times detracts from what the cheerleaders are supposedly trying to do. In the past it wasn't so. Or, when the Band isn't actually now detracting from the spirit effort, at other times now it's almost as if someone's keeping our percussion section on a leash or something, instead of letting them provide rhythm and cadence to the yells of the cheerleaders (actually, they did finally start doing this toward the end last night, but by then it was way past too late, and their lack of practice in backing up the cheerleaders and what was left of the crowd showed). Then, we have attempts by the support crew for the cheerleaders at resurrecting a short-lived, bad practice from two years ago in which they would dub into the sound system some recorded beats which, unfortunately last night, came from crunk-style Hip hop artists that make Lil' Flip, Mike Jones and Ludacris seem like choir boys in comparison.

Speaking of the sound system, why is it that, with the possible exception of last night thus far, it takes nearly an entire game for the crew to figure out how to get the sound system for the cheerleaders working effectively (ie, loud enough)? And why has the planning been so seemingly poor that on two road game occasions thus far they apparently don't know ahead of time where to plug the sound system in so that they instead have to go with using thus stupid-looking, useless cones to yell through?? Like I've said, the crowd has been taken completely out of it these past few years, now to the point that last week at Comalander during one of the yells the cheerleader said (through the cone) "you can do better than that!" I almost yelled back "No we can't," and it took a lot to bite my tongue and keep my mouth shut on that one.

Rocket Pride is in full-scale melt-down at present, and I'm not even sure if I really care any more either. I can take losing games, but let's at least have some fun doing it (the cheerleading and the Band contribution is less effectual now than it was back in the mid 1970's the last time Judson did lose on a consistent basis). It takes far too much energy to care, especially when no one else seems to either any more, and after I've already tried at various times to politely advise some of the supposed adults running the spirit "show" on what could maybe be done in bringing back some "Rocket Pride" traditions that could still be effective now, but they've shown limited if any interest, I'm not even sure if they really care either, and thus it seems that everyone is simply going through the motions, and providing little or no leadership for the kids in better choreographing and coordinating things. As a Judson graduate, I feel so sorry for those poor kids, and they truly deserve better than this.

mad_fan
10-15-2005, 10:49 AM
I mean this in the nicest possible way, but I feel more for the kids at Lee, Highlands, Jefferson, etc. It's always easier to support a winner. The test for fans and students comes when their guys are down. From the sound of some of the posts here, Judson fans may not be up to that test. Now is not the time to be jumping ship. If all the Madison fans had done that in the mid 80s or the mid 90s, the school probably would have just would have dismantled the football program.

As Judson players, coaches, and fans struggle with change, some are going to take more delight in it than others. The players and coaches don't need the fans ganging up on them too. There are a lot of empty trophy cases around the San Antonio area because of the Judson Rockets. I can't share in your pain.

LoneRocket
10-15-2005, 10:56 AM
I mean this in the nicest possible way, but I feel more for the kids at Lee, Highlands, Jefferson, etc. It's always easier to support a winner. The test for fans and students comes when their guys are down. From the sound of some of the posts here, Judson fans may not be up to that test. Now is not the time to be jumping ship. If all the Madison fans had done that in the mid 80s or the mid 90s, the school probably would have just would have dismantled the football program.

As Judson players, coaches, and fans struggle with change, some are going to take more delight in it than others. The players and coaches don't need the fans ganging up on them too. There are a lot of empty trophy cases around the San Antonio area because of the Judson Rockets. I can't share in your pain.
Our trophy cases are full because of hard work and dedication. I firmly believe that if the system works and it has for years leave it alone, we do not have to copy someone else’s system.

eingedikid
10-15-2005, 11:00 AM
Mad Fan you actually hit the nail on the head. The real test is when the team is down. I'm hoping what I wrote can rattle some cages so that if we do start losing more than we win, we'll at least have fun while we're doing it. Some of my fonder memories of rocket Pride were actually in the various games we've lost. Instead in recent years even in the games we've won, I've come away with an empty feeling because of the spirit melt-down.

mad_fan
10-15-2005, 11:07 AM
Our trophy cases are full because of hard work and dedication. I firmly believe that if the system works and it has for years leave it alone, we do not have to copy someone else’s system.

But Lonerocket the change has already occurred. It's a done deal. I just know that if I was a Rocket man, I would be ragging on them like I was a Clemens guy. (And I meant that in the nicest possible way also).

mad_fan
10-15-2005, 11:10 AM
Mad Fan you actually hit the nail on the head. The real test is when the team is down. I'm hoping what I wrote can rattle some cages so that if we do start losing more than we win, we'll at least have fun while we're doing it. Some of my fonder memories of rocket Pride were actually in the various games we've lost. Instead in recent years even in the games we've won, I've come away with an empty feeling because of the spirit melt-down.

I have a great deal of experience in this department. My teams for the past 30 years (25 for Madison):

Pro: Green Bay
College: Notre Dame
HS: SA Madison

Reaganrattler07
10-15-2005, 01:20 PM

I haveta agree with this....in a way, I'm happy to see Judson collapse, but i'm also saddened to see one of the best(if not THE) athletic dynastys in san antonio. Now will be the time for other schools to have a crack at things, but the Judson dynasty may have finally come to its end.

Reaganrattler07
10-15-2005, 01:20 PM
But Lonerocket the change has already occurred. It's a done deal. I just know that if I was a Rocket man, I would be ragging on them like I was a Clemens guy. (And I meant that in the nicest possible way also).

Or like me when my guys don't put up an effort and end up getting blown out....

TexasRed6x
10-15-2005, 04:17 PM
Kid, you have to realize that Judson will not tolerate losing. It is the same at SLC, Katy, Lufkin, Longview. At Judson Football is a way of life and it sounds stupid believe you me you of all people should know that. You have written Web sites devoted to all the football years so even you cannot stand losing. IT is not just the losig, but how they are doing it. Churchill who I will give some credit to was just an average team, and all know that. Judson looked horrible against just an average team last night and never once even came close to looking like a team that cared. Now I ask you is that the kids fault, the fans or the coaches. The fans are the just about the same, they are ready to cheer hard when the team is playing hard. The key again is playing hard, last night they looked like a team the could care less, again is that the kids fault or the coaching. At week 7 things should be getting better, well is not, and no band, cheerleaders or fans can play the game for these kids. it is up to your coaching staff to have them prepared, again I ask you did they looked prepared?

Bucky
10-15-2005, 04:20 PM
I haveta agree with this....in a way, I'm happy to see Judson collapse, but i'm also saddened to see one of the best(if not THE) athletic dynastys in san antonio. Now will be the time for other schools to have a crack at things, but the Judson dynasty may have finally come to its end.

Im gonna tell you the there is another Dynasty coming in the Judson district. It wont be Judson HS..but it will be Wagner. The newest member of the Judson family!!

clemensbuff
10-15-2005, 04:25 PM
Im gonna tell you the there is another Dynasty coming in the Judson district. It wont be Judson HS..but it will be Wagner. The newest member of the Judson family!!

It's kinda ironic that you say this because when I posted here several weeks ago that Wagner was going to hurt Judson by taking many of there athletes I had many CJ posters telling me how full of it I was. One of my best friends coaches in the JISD district and he himself told me that 60 to 70% of the athletes Judson has had will now be at Wagner. I to think that Wagner will be a power house within a few years, maybe less than a few!

Bucky
10-15-2005, 04:33 PM
It's kinda ironic that you say this because when I posted here several weeks ago that Wagner was going to hurt Judson by taking many of there athletes I had many CJ posters telling me how full of it I was. One of my best friends coaches in the JISD district and he himself told me that 60 to 70% of the athletes Judson has had will now be at Wagner. I to think that Wagner will be a power house within a few years, maybe less than a few!

Who is your friend? You can pm it to me if you would rather not post it. :cool:

LPMOM
10-15-2005, 04:33 PM
just wanted to say hello to you eingedikid!
i truly hope and pray that rocket pride will last because we all love the rockets! well, most of us :confused:

eingedikid
10-15-2005, 09:26 PM
LPMOM! Good to hear from you again. Thanks for the kind thoughts. In spite of some of the sentiments I've expressed here, I'm actually somewhat (being the Rocket that I am) also proud of what Churchill was able to accomplish last night. And to think they've now got Judson's and SV's skulls to add to their belts in spite of all that's happened. That's the kind of scrappy effort that anyone that has any feelings at all can fall in love with. And, the few fans that the Chargers had on hand, it made it all the more special for everyone who stuck it out and came out to Converse to give their support. It kind of reminds me of the last time Judson had a losing season (1976), when we went down to Laredo to play Nixon and came away with a 14-3 win for our second and final win that season, after trailing 3-0 at halftime and with only about 50 fans that had come along. Being in the band, it really was really a special thing.

mad_fan
10-15-2005, 09:59 PM
Kid your thread doesnt get enough attention. Took a half day off, drank some brews, watch ND in another losing effort...just getting your thread back to the top of the list...

Plano Wildcat Fan
10-15-2005, 10:02 PM
What do Judson fans expect. You break off a single highschool into 2 then eventually 3 schools in the district talent and support gets diluted. It happened at Plano. Best winning % school from 1960 to 2000 in Texas. When Plano East opened 1981 it took talent and support away however Plano continued to thrive for the next 15 years. However, when Plano West opened in 1998 then that was when the drop off was evident.

Judson will still be a solid program, however, don't expect it to repeat what it did in the 80's and 90's. Times change. Nothing stays the same. Even the Judson football Dynasty.

Sorry.

RedRage00
10-15-2005, 10:14 PM

I can't wait to see a Wagner game!!

RR

LoneRocket
10-15-2005, 10:17 PM
--

HOOKEM
10-15-2005, 10:18 PM
You may be right plano, but right now I would place the blame this year squarely on the coaches. The talent is still there. I played football for a few years in the JISD and those kids start learning the offense in the 7th grade. They can run that power I in their sleep. What this o-coord was thinking I can only wonder. At least we as rocket fans will have our memories and no one in San Antonio will probably ever win as many state championships as Jrock.

In the words of my friend Tom Hanks, "Houston we have a problem"

Reaganrattler07
10-15-2005, 10:20 PM
Maybe the split will forever affect both schools....or maybe both will turn into powerhouses...look what happened to Churchill...they were a dominant school, Reagan opens up and now they're the two most dominant schools....

eingedikid
10-15-2005, 10:38 PM
"Houston we have a problem"

And, just like that situation, we need an all-out Gene Kranz-style Tiger team effort in the spacecraft (ie, actual team) and in Mission Control (ie, the fans, support/spirit teams, and student body). :cool: The time is NOW

Let's win this game!
HEY! HEY!
(or anything else that works, and that doesn't include much of what's actually going on now). "The 'Odyssey' is dying." And we need to get with it and fast if we want to get the Aquarius powered up and aligned in time for the free-return and PC+2 burns, otherwise we're on a one-way Rocket flight to nowhere. ;)

mad_fan
10-15-2005, 10:42 PM
Maybe the split will forever affect both schools....or maybe both will turn into powerhouses...look what happened to Churchill...they were a dominant school, Reagan opens up and now they're the two most dominant schools....

within a stones throw of each other! :p

Reaganrattler07
10-15-2005, 10:44 PM
within a stones throw of each other! :p

que? :confused:

But Wagner and Judson are gonna be like Churchill and Reagan....split and both be successful.

LoneRocket
10-15-2005, 10:50 PM
que? :confused:

But Wagner and Judson are gonna be like Churchill and Reagan....split and both be successful.
The areas around Wagner and Judson are growing we could be talking about a third high school in 10-15 years. It has been past time for a new high school because more kids now have the chance to participate in school activities. It was possible to have third team players who probably could start at another school.

Reaganrattler07
10-15-2005, 10:52 PM
The areas around Wagner and Judson are growing we could be talking about a third high school in 10-15 years. It has been past time for a new high school because more kids now have the chance to participate in school activities. It was possible to have third team players who probably could start at another school.

Hmmm.....but Judson wasn't expanded for the purpose of having a good athletic program....that may not be the mentality for now if they build a third one.

LoneRocket
10-15-2005, 11:07 PM
Hmmm.....but Judson wasn't expanded for the purpose of having a good athletic program....that may not be the mentality for now if they build a third one.
Not athletic programs but all programs academic as well as athletic and after school programs.

Reaganrattler07
10-15-2005, 11:17 PM
Not athletic programs but all programs academic as well as athletic and after school programs.

You don't have any records of how Judson is academically, do you?

LoneRocket
10-15-2005, 11:21 PM
You don't have any records of how Judson is academically, do you?
Check the TEA's tea.state.tx.us website, think about it less people to compete against for student council, valedictorian as well as starting QB. 2500 instead of 4800.

lonny23
10-16-2005, 05:04 PM
The current disarray of the team and coaches notwithstanding, I place easily half the reason for what's happened in recent times with the continued degradation of the spirit and support group contribution. I could run off a whole litany of things, and I won't here (this post will be long enough as it is), but just suffice it to say that the crowd and possibly student body for that matter has seemingly been taken out of any meaningful or effectively choreographed active participation for the past several years. What you see going on off the field with the Band (it's almost gotten to the point that I'm embarrassed to even think I was once in a Mighty Rocket Band that used to make tremendous contributions in support of what was going on down on the field) and the cheerleaders is not and has not been for quite some time what could be considered "Rocketball" spirit, and it has now manifested itself into some of the most played-out and stodgy demonstrations of spirit not unlike what everyone and their dog does at other schools now on the one hand, and on the other hand a situation where what the band does at times detracts from what the cheerleaders are supposedly trying to do. In the past it wasn't so. Or, when the Band isn't actually now detracting from the spirit effort, at other times now it's almost as if someone's keeping our percussion section on a leash or something, instead of letting them provide rhythm and cadence to the yells of the cheerleaders (actually, they did finally start doing this toward the end last night, but by then it was way past too late, and their lack of practice in backing up the cheerleaders and what was left of the crowd showed). Then, we have attempts by the support crew for the cheerleaders at resurrecting a short-lived, bad practice from two years ago in which they would dub into the sound system some recorded beats which, unfortunately last night, came from crunk-style Hip hop artists that make Lil' Flip, Mike Jones and Ludacris seem like choir boys in comparison.

Speaking of the sound system, why is it that, with the possible exception of last night thus far, it takes nearly an entire game for the crew to figure out how to get the sound system for the cheerleaders working effectively (ie, loud enough)? And why has the planning been so seemingly poor that on two road game occasions thus far they apparently don't know ahead of time where to plug the sound system in so that they instead have to go with using thus stupid-looking, useless cones to yell through?? Like I've said, the crowd has been taken completely out of it these past few years, now to the point that last week at Comalander during one of the yells the cheerleader said (through the cone) "you can do better than that!" I almost yelled back "No we can't," and it took a lot to bite my tongue and keep my mouth shut on that one.

Rocket Pride is in full-scale melt-down at present, and I'm not even sure if I really care any more either. I can take losing games, but let's at least have some fun doing it (the cheerleading and the Band contribution is less effectual now than it was back in the mid 1970's the last time Judson did lose on a consistent basis). It takes far too much energy to care, especially when no one else seems to either any more, and after I've already tried at various times to politely advise some of the supposed adults running the spirit "show" on what could maybe be done in bringing back some "Rocket Pride" traditions that could still be effective now, but they've shown limited if any interest, I'm not even sure if they really care either, and thus it seems that everyone is simply going through the motions, and providing little or no leadership for the kids in better choreographing and coordinating things. As a Judson graduate, I feel so sorry for those poor kids, and they truly deserve better than this.
I don't think too much of the goings on during the game on the sideline, either.

lonny23
10-16-2005, 05:09 PM
I wonder if anybody else caught what you said! :D

eingedikid
10-17-2005, 07:23 AM
I don't think too much of the goings on during the game on the sideline, either.

If other people feel the way I do as well about the sorry state of the spirit and support team contribution at Judson games, then they need to rise up as well and do what they can to try and turn things around. I can't do it by myself, and in many ways I'm probably the last person to probably be leading any kind of an effort. It's far too easy for me to at best simply make a fool of myself and at worst come off looking, acting or sounding like some eccentric "angry white man," :eek: which is the kiss of death once someone gets preceived in this kind of light.