PDA

View Full Version : Emo - Anybody?

SV61
12-04-2007, 09:50 AM
Has anybody else had any brush with this?

My son attends a middle school, and got a note sent home yesterday. There will be a school wide discussion today, and the school has asked parents to attend. Apparently, this "Emo" (Emotional Hardcore) fad, has kids in the middle school age and up, "cutting themselves" in the name of being cool. It started out some time back, tying into punk rock.

Anybody dealt with this, or know someone that has?

I'm usually pretty up to snuff with this type of thing. This time, I'm not.

Miss Kitty
12-04-2007, 10:05 AM
Has anybody else had any brush with this?

My son attends a middle school, and got a note sent home yesterday. There will be a school wide discussion today, and the school has asked parents to attend. Apparently, this "Emo" (Emotional Hardcore) fad, has kids in the middle school age and up, "cutting themselves" in the name of being cool. It started out some time back, tying into punk rock.

Anybody dealt with this, or know someone that has?

I'm usually pretty up to snuff with this type of thing. This time, I'm not.

Yep, my daughter came home telling me there is a girl in her class that does that. 5th grade mind you.

STJL41
12-04-2007, 10:49 AM
Honestly if the school has lead you to believe kids are doing this "in the name of being cool" then you are being grossly misinformed. Most of this music is emotionally destabilizing though, and from that some of these kids may be taking to cutting themselves out of depression or as a cry for attention (I don't classify this as the same as doing it to be cool).

I call it emotionally destabilizing mainly because the vast majority of the lyrics these bands produce is so depressing and spiteful thats its usually hard for me to even take it seriously. Its a lot of "this girl won't love me, I hate my life" kind of stuff. My suggestion: teach your children well and have them listen to real rock music...this emo :Censor: is getting out of hand IMO.

I've always thought this line was a real winner:

"The truth is you could slit my throat
and with my one last gasping breath
I'd apologize for bleedin' on your shirt"

SV61
12-04-2007, 10:59 AM
Honestly if the school has lead you to believe kids are doing this "in the name of being cool" then you are being grossly misinformed. Most of this music is emotionally destabilizing though, and from that some of these kids may be taking to cutting themselves out of depression or as a cry for attention (I don't classify this as the same as doing it to be cool).

I call it emotionally destabilizing mainly because the vast majority of the lyrics these bands produce is do depressing and spiteful thats its usually hard for me to even take it seriously. Its a lot of "this girl won't love me, I hate my life" kind of stuff. My suggestion: teach your children well and have them listen to real rock music...this emo :Censor: is getting out of hand IMO.

Yea, I am aware of the origin of it. Thank you for your input. And ANY info I get is most welcome. Please do not think I am dismissing your input. My point to my comment is, I do not THINK (at this point) that the music has reached these kids, YET.

I have talked with my boy about it, and the music part of the whole deal, at least thus far, has not caught on at his school. He mentioned something about it last week, while we drove home. I asked him to explain, and he never alluded to listening to any style of music. He was more focused on the self desecration part of it, and why. We talked for some time about it.

He attends a private school, so the classes aren't huge. I know MOST of the parents and the kids. My son could think of no one (in his class) that would have any passing interest in hurting themselves.

LP04
12-04-2007, 11:15 AM
It started with the music, but it really has spread out to be a something of a fad, wiki it and youll get specifics, but they all tend to dress alike, have the same kind of hair cut that sorta thing. Some do cut themselves but that doesnt seem to be part of the fad aspect of it. Its in the music and the attitude but most kids are doing it to be cool and wont take it to far. If your kid or one of your friends kids are cutting themselves they really should seek help from a professional, thats taking things way to far. And if the school is having an outbreak in such a mass amount as to need to warn everyone I would suggest taking a look around at his friends to be safe (from what you said you child doesnt do this). It could be the fad has just gotten way out of hand at the school, or it could be a few kids have some serious problems and other kids are picking it up for one reason or another.

I know a couple of people who consider themselves emo, the really really annoy me with their the world is so black why do I even live outlook. Expecially since they all picked it up from music and not from any real facts. Alot of horrible things in this world that can make you wish you werent here, mass murders, war, plagues, famines, and tons of other things making the earth a worse place to live, but its because this band sings about how some girl wont go out with them so they want to kill themselves that they think the world is a horrible place :rolleyes:. Most kids grow out of it, a few dont, so long as its just the look, the bland attitude, and the music i wouldnt really worry about it to much, but if someone it cutting themselves they really need to seek help.

On a personal note emos annoy me to death and I gave the one sometimes friend who is into the whole emo thing a fish that sang "Dont worry, be happy" for his birthday one year and it made him want to kill me.

Kboda
12-04-2007, 01:50 PM
EMO is just a generic term now. It's for anyone acting out or being depressed all the time. My youngest (5th grade) is trying to be Goth (dressing in black-we won't let her wear makeup or black fingernail polish) but she assures me she's not Emo. The whole cutting trend is very frightening. Angelia Jolie being a former cutter has really glamourized the whole thing.
My best friend's daughter was cutting last year but they have been in counseling and that behavior has stopped. It has taken on a life of it's own like piercing or tattoos. The problem is younger kids can't get the tattoos or all the piercings they want but they can cut on their own. They fail to realize that the scars are permenant!
I'd like to know what the school has to say. A big warning sign is always wearing long sleeves.

BAMF cowboy
12-04-2007, 03:47 PM

I call it emotionally destabilizing mainly because the vast majority of the lyrics these bands produce is so depressing and spiteful thats its usually hard for me to even take it seriously. Its a lot of "this girl won't love me, I hate my life" kind of stuff. My suggestion: teach your children well and have them listen to real rock music...this emo :Censor: is getting out of hand IMO.

That song rules:notworthy

Dds115
12-04-2007, 04:08 PM
That song rules:notworthy

I agree... Taking Back Sunday is a dang good band.

STJL41, I have you beat with some good lyrics...

"Tonight I'm spent
Pretend this razor is your lips
You're finding ways to kiss
(Ways to kiss me)
Deeply on the wrists"

I am actually quite a fan of the two songs on this thread, both happen to talk about cutting. I have never ever THOUGHT about doing such a thing, I don't think the music turns kids onto it.

SV61
12-04-2007, 04:16 PM
Okay, guys, just got back from the school sponsered q&A session.

Seems that the admins are more focusing on a specific aspect of the EMO "game". It seems that for the most part, what teachers, parents, etc, are seeing from children of this age, is the cutting or self injury aspect.

The School had a psycho analytical person give a short dissertation on the whos, wheres, and whys. The person was quite knowledgable, but stuck to the sub set of EMO, cutting or self injury.

Basically, like MANY other things in a young person's life, this is a reaction to some other problem, perceived or otherwise. As a rule, it affects more White, Middle Class Girls (>70%) than any other group. While cutting is obviously something to be concerned with, it is almost always a cry for attention because of something else in their life.

Self injury is broken into subsets, Implusive and Compulsive. The impulsive types include burning, carving and cutting. The compulsive types of self injury included things such as pulling hair, biting nails, or picking skin.

I am not trying to trivialize this, but I knew a BUNCH of people when I was in Middle school that chewed their nails.

ANYWAY, the cutting thing was the primary reason for the meeting, and it did answer a lot of questions. It seems that kids involved with this will refer to it as "Emo is a game".

Thanks to everyone that took a minute to respond to this thread. Any other info would be most helpful, and I can add more if it doesn't bore.

stevefoxsc
12-04-2007, 04:30 PM
Emo-scenekid are just a bunch of pansy kids who joined a giant fad to be cool. They always tried to avoid the mainstream and create new genre's screamo scene emo rap blah blah. They have a myspace,facebook,live journal and such.

It's nothing more then a queer version of goth and a horrified version of punk just watch all these videos for the epic laughs.

List of emo bands who deny it. Remember only emo's who look emo, deny being total FA.... erm emo

AFI, Alexisonfire, Brand New, Coheed and Cambria, Fall Out Boy, From First to Last, Funeral for a Friend, Hawthorne Heights, My Chemical Romance, Panic! at the Disco, The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Senses Fail, Something Corporate, The Starting Line, Story of the Year, Taking Back Sunday, Thursday, The Used, and Underoath

How to be emo
http://youtube.com/watch?v=JGLv3IEL0VI 21 mins long great laughs

I must be emo song
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3MGDo1bDfts 3mins long Epic laughs

Ultimate emo Song so much its called "untitled"
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y2lhkCQkhu8 4 mins long no good lol's

Emo orange
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7fAr0FEefPU 30 secs super epic laugh

Emogirl21 "Birds are dieing"
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Pw4gnRZpyos 1:28 moar Epic lulz

Fox news epic stupidty shows again with a poor report like usual.. Emo
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FrESt2iR8Vc 4mins just lol@ them

Some stupid emogirl who later pwnd epicly...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uJTFVM2A27c&feature=related 9:30 mins
epic lol's especially when she bawls,That should be enough to get noobs to understand this fad

emogirl's defeat
http://youtube.com/watch?v=oaEjlejWv44&feature=related PWNT 9:20 mins

In short again it's a fad majority of the mainstream are doing it because "lyke omgz emo boyz n grls r lyke SoOo HaWt XxX" just another case of wanting to fit in.

Don't forget national emo beat down Smack an emo kid and get $5!

Dds115
12-04-2007, 04:37 PM
The compulsive types of self injury included things such as pulling hair, biting nails, or picking skin.

I am not trying to trivialize this, but I knew a BUNCH of people when I was in Middle school that chewed their nails.

So when I bite my nails I am doing it because I want to hurt myself? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

jakerz
12-04-2007, 04:37 PM
Man I could go long days on this one...I'd take a thug any day that steals from stores then a kid who intentionally cuts himself to feel...pride?

People these days...

jrock210
12-04-2007, 04:46 PM
HAHA Anyone here the song I'm an emo kid!

I'm an emo kid, non-conforming as can be
You'd be non-conforming too if
you looked just like me
I have paint on my nails and make-up on my face
I'm almost emo enough to start shaving my legs
'Cause I feel real deep when I'm dressing in drag
I call it freedom of expression,
most just call me a ***
'Cause our dudes look like chicks,
and our chicks look like dykes
'Cause emo is one step below transvestite!

Stop my breathing and slit my throat
I must be emo
I don't jump around when I go to shows
I must be emo

I'm dark, and sensitive with low self-esteem
The way I dress makes every day feel like Halloween
I have no real problems but I like to make believe
I stole my sister's mascara now
I'm grounded for a week.
Sulking and writing poetry are my hobbies
I can't get through a Hawthorne
Heights album without sobbing
Girls keep breaking up with me,
it's never any fun.
They say they already have a p****,
they don't need another one

I must be emo
I must be emo
Dye in my hair and polish on my toes
I must be emo
I play guitar and write suicide notes
I must be emo

My life is just a black abyss,
you know, it's so dark.
And it's suffocating me.

Grabbing hold of me and tightening its grip,
tighter than a pair of
my little sister's jeans...
which look great on me by the way.

When I get depressed I cut my
wrists in every direction
Hearing songs about getting
dumped give me an erection
I write in a live journal and
wear thick rimmed glasses
I tell my friends I bleed black
and cry during classes
I'm just a bad, cheap, imitation of goth,
You can read me "Catcher in the
Rye", and watch me jack off.
I wear skin tight clothes while hating my life
If I said I like girls, I'd only be half right!

I look like I'm dead and dress like a homo
I must be emo
Screw XBox, and play old school Nintendo
I must be emo
I like to whine and hit my parentals
I must be emo
Me and my friends all look like clones
I must be eemo

My parents just don't get me, you know.
They think I'm gay just because
they saw me kiss a guy.
Well, a couple guys. But I mean, it's the 2000s.
Can't 2 ... or 4 dudes make-out with
each other without being gay?
I mean, chicks dig that kind of thing anyways.
I don't know diary,
sometimes I think you're the only one that gets me,
you're my best friend...

I feel like tacos

slorch
12-04-2007, 04:48 PM
if my son cuts his wrists, I'll kill him when he gets home...:rolleyes:

My son listens to good wholesome music from the 80's and 90's like Ozzie and JP and the Maiden...:D

He listens to the music of today, but loves guitar, so he bugs the crap outta me to listen to my stuff.:D

the emo stuff is easily cured by having a relationship with God. laugh all you want, but it has never failed us.

Dds115
12-04-2007, 04:49 PM
Coheed and Cambria

Are. You. Serious????????????????????? For the most part, all the other bands you listed are pretty emo... but Coheed and Cambria, I gotta disagree with you on that one.

jakerz
12-04-2007, 05:51 PM
the emo stuff is easily cured by having a relationship with God. laugh all you want, but it has never failed us.

please expand, sir

slorch
12-04-2007, 06:10 PM
please expand, sir

our son has self confidence and understands that he has a purpose. he understands that self destruction is not serving God. he also understands that there are things that he is part of that are honorable and meaningful, thus removing doubt about one's existence...

oversimplified? probably. bottom line is, IMO, Emo is a cry for help or self pity. If you live faithfully in the ways of the Lord, those things don't typically exist until you follow your own direction, instead of God's.

GoOwls
12-04-2007, 06:15 PM
EMO is most certainly a game.

This is from the perspective of a mailman who has seen many kids from many races and backgrounds grow up over a 24 year career in the same zip code.

Emo kids are no different than any of the other lifestyle choices, like some of the saggers, some of the Hip-Hop crowd, Goths, etc. The common thread is a broken home or an abusive home, or both. The kid is crying out for attention and then EMO is how it ends up manifesting itself. The kid gravitates to where he can find acceptance, attention, and something that resembles love.

Remember the Marilyn Manson crowd? They remanifested themselves as Goths or EMO's as the generations pass by. Where is MM now and his followers? Nowhere...they got a new grove now. They grew up or died and now a new group has moved in looking for a leader....or anything.

stevefoxsc
12-04-2007, 06:58 PM
EMO is most certainly a game.

This is from the perspective of a mailman who has seen many kids from many races and backgrounds grow up over a 24 year career in the same zip code.

Emo kids are no different than any of the other lifestyle choices, like some of the saggers, some of the Hip-Hop crowd, Goths, etc. The common thread is a broken home or an abusive home, or both. The kid is crying out for attention and then EMO is how it ends up manifesting itself. The kid gravitates to where he can find acceptance, attention, and something that resembles love.

Remember the Marilyn Manson crowd? They remanifested themselves as Goths or EMO's as the generations pass by. Where is MM now and his followers? Nowhere...they got a new grove now. They grew up or died and now a new group has moved in looking for a leader....or anything.

rofl difference is gothic has been around for the longest and is still up and kicking manson was only popular cause he was a target for idiot parents to blame when something went wrong.

Manson still kickin strong within the gothic community. Emo is so popular cause so many more people hate emo then actually like it. Another fad that came in strong and so many people dislike it because it's everywhere now. Anyone can really be emo.
Some people dress "emo/scene," but really aren't. It's more of a lost kids trying to find a place to fit in.

stevefoxsc
12-04-2007, 06:58 PM
HAHA Anyone here the song I'm an emo kid!

I'm an emo kid, non-conforming as can be
You'd be non-conforming too if
you looked just like me
I have paint on my nails and make-up on my face
I'm almost emo enough to start shaving my legs
'Cause I feel real deep when I'm dressing in drag
I call it freedom of expression,
most just call me a ***
'Cause our dudes look like chicks,
and our chicks look like dykes
'Cause emo is one step below transvestite!

I must be emo
I must be emo

I'm dark, and sensitive with low self-esteem
The way I dress makes every day feel like Halloween
I have no real problems but I like to make believe
I stole my sister's mascara now
I'm grounded for a week.
Sulking and writing poetry are my hobbies
I can't get through a Hawthorne
Heights album without sobbing
Girls keep breaking up with me,
it's never any fun.
They say they already have a p****,
they don't need another one

I must be emo
I must be emo
Dye in my hair and polish on my toes
I must be emo
I play guitar and write suicide notes
I must be emo

My life is just a black abyss,
you know, it's so dark.
And it's suffocating me.

Grabbing hold of me and tightening its grip,
tighter than a pair of
my little sister's jeans...
which look great on me by the way.

When I get depressed I cut my
wrists in every direction
Hearing songs about getting
dumped give me an erection
I write in a live journal and
wear thick rimmed glasses
I tell my friends I bleed black
and cry during classes
I'm just a bad, cheap, imitation of goth,
You can read me "Catcher in the
Rye", and watch me jack off.
I wear skin tight clothes while hating my life
If I said I like girls, I'd only be half right!

I look like I'm dead and dress like a homo
I must be emo
Screw XBox, and play old school Nintendo
I must be emo
I like to whine and hit my parentals
I must be emo
Me and my friends all look like clones
I must be eemo

My parents just don't get me, you know.
They think I'm gay just because
they saw me kiss a guy.
Well, a couple guys. But I mean, it's the 2000s.
Can't 2 ... or 4 dudes make-out with
each other without being gay?
I mean, chicks dig that kind of thing anyways.
I don't know diary,
sometimes I think you're the only one that gets me,
you're my best friend...

I feel like tacos

check teh yewtubz links

GoOwls
12-04-2007, 07:39 PM
rofl difference is gothic has been around for the longest and is still up and kicking manson was only popular cause he was a target for idiot parents to blame when something went wrong.

Manson still kickin strong within the gothic community. Emo is so popular cause so many more people hate emo then actually like it. Another fad that came in strong and so many people dislike it because it's everywhere now. Anyone can really be emo.
Some people dress "emo/scene," but really aren't. It's more of a lost kids trying to find a place to fit in.

That's what I said...I said it differently...but that 's what I said.

Manson who???

All I've heard of Manson recently is he had a birthday or something. He is OLD news to the mainstream media, which is where the popularity gets its roots...where the word gets out. He may be big in the Goth crowd....but nobody cares anymore because he is irrelevant. He is getting old.....death to an icon of displaced youth.

Goth may be kicking, but it's because it's dying, at least around Dallas. I see less and less as the days go by. Deep Elum, "Where the Goth go to Play", is like a ghost town on Saturday nights now. Businesses are closing like banks in the Depression.

mad_fan
12-04-2007, 07:46 PM
if my son cuts his wrists, I'll kill him when he gets home...:rolleyes:

My son listens to good wholesome music from the 80's and 90's like Ozzie and JP and the Maiden...:D

He listens to the music of today, but loves guitar, so he bugs the crap outta me to listen to my stuff.:D

You have a beautiful mind...
Without the chip on each shoulder...:D

STJL41
12-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Goth may be kicking, but it's because it's dying, at least around Dallas. I see less and less as the days go by. Deep Elum, "Where the Goth go to Play", is like a ghost town on Saturday nights now.Businesses are closing like banks in the Depression.

Yeah, now its a lot of bands that just plain suck. Playing the Dallas scene lately I have been stuck on bills with some of the most pathetic sounding "screamo" bands I have ever encountered. As much as I hate that genre of music, I can deal with talented people playing music I hate...but a lot of these bands are garbage in girls pants.

No offense to the older people on the boards, but I figured I would have to be well in my 50s or so with kids in high school before I started looking at trends and thinking "what the :Censor: makes these kids act this way?" Instead, I have to see it on campus and in the classroom with me...I can usually deal with them until they start talking, and then it becomes too much to bear.

pied
12-05-2007, 11:10 AM
Some of this stuff is funny to me, and I suspect it is because I am getting old. I graduated HS in '89 and during my JH years was into punk/New Wave.

The Sex Pistols were already gone. Still had Suicidal Tendencies, Dead Kennedys, The Exploited, etc. but the original punk movment was over. Funny to see kids these days latch on to groups, which would hate them for it. That crap was in style 30 years ago.

I can't imagin the grief someone would take in '85-'89 that wore Elvis or other 30 year old shirts...

Like I said none of it seems new. I mean Joy Division and then New Order, and The Cure had some pretty bleak stuff. I suspect there are some stupid kids that found meaning in Joy Division like I did befire I started wearing khakis.

Come to the light kids, it's not that bad......

GoOwls
12-05-2007, 08:10 PM
Yeah, now its a lot of bands that just plain suck. Playing the Dallas scene lately I have been stuck on bills with some of the most pathetic sounding "screamo" bands I have ever encountered. As much as I hate that genre of music, I can deal with talented people playing music I hate...but a lot of these bands are garbage in girls pants.

No offense to the older people on the boards, but I figured I would have to be well in my 50s or so with kids in high school before I started looking at trends and thinking "what the :Censor: makes these kids act this way?" Instead, I have to see it on campus and in the classroom with me...I can usually deal with them until they start talking, and then it becomes to much to bear.

Get used to it, the trends change faster and faster now days with all the instant information exchanging....get used to thinking how dumb kids look.......you'll get used to thinking "old". :eek: :D

Hoodleboy80
12-06-2007, 11:27 AM
I think a lot of people get the wrong idea about so called "emos" by the way they dress. One of my best friends has a the emo swoosh hair cut, wears weird clothes, and could not be a better person. He is not depressed, does not hurt himself, just wants to wear tight jeans and listen to particular type of music. It may just be a product of his environment, as his parents are very tidy and neat. I still wouldn't change my friend for the world.

And as for quotes, I have a good one too.

"Draw diagrams
of suicide
on each others wrists
and trace them
with razor blades"

Glad to see I'm not the only one who likes TBS though.

Katyexrb29
12-06-2007, 05:43 PM
Emo-scenekid are just a bunch of pansy kids who joined a giant fad to be cool. They always tried to avoid the mainstream and create new genre's screamo scene emo rap blah blah. They have a myspace,facebook,live journal and such.

It's nothing more then a queer version of goth and a horrified version of punk just watch all these videos for the epic laughs.

List of emo bands who deny it. Remember only emo's who look emo, deny being total FA.... erm emo

AFI, Alexisonfire, Brand New, Coheed and Cambria, Fall Out Boy, From First to Last, Funeral for a Friend, Hawthorne Heights, My Chemical Romance, Panic! at the Disco, The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Senses Fail, Something Corporate, The Starting Line, Story of the Year, Taking Back Sunday, Thursday, The Used, and Underoath

How to be emo
http://youtube.com/watch?v=JGLv3IEL0VI 21 mins long great laughs

I must be emo song
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3MGDo1bDfts 3mins long Epic laughs

Ultimate emo Song so much its called "untitled"
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y2lhkCQkhu8 4 mins long no good lol's

Emo orange
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7fAr0FEefPU 30 secs super epic laugh

Emogirl21 "Birds are dieing"
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Pw4gnRZpyos 1:28 moar Epic lulz

Fox news epic stupidty shows again with a poor report like usual.. Emo
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FrESt2iR8Vc 4mins just lol@ them

Some stupid emogirl who later pwnd epicly...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uJTFVM2A27c&feature=related 9:30 mins
epic lol's especially when she bawls,That should be enough to get noobs to understand this fad

emogirl's defeat
http://youtube.com/watch?v=oaEjlejWv44&feature=related PWNT 9:20 mins

In short again it's a fad majority of the mainstream are doing it because "lyke omgz emo boyz n grls r lyke SoOo HaWt XxX" just another case of wanting to fit in.

Don't forget national emo beat down Smack an emo kid and get $5!

I can't stop laughing:D:D