PDA

View Full Version : Flashback to Katy vs. Strake Jesuit at Rice

KatyTigerDad0407
11-20-2007, 06:35 PM
http://www.texasfootball.com/index.php?s=&change_well_id=2&url_article_id=1518

http://www.lonestargridiron.com/archives/2007logo200x200.jpgChris Doelle is the founder and co-host of Lone Star Gridiron - "The National Podcast of Texas High School Football."

11/19/07 Blog The Houston area had some great games this past weekend as teams fight to be the regional representative in the championships. These are the games I saw this weekend along with a link to the show created with my cohosts, Mike Wright and Ronald Oswalt.First off, Rice stadium was packed with more fans than attend a Rice game when the Katy Tigers took on the Strake Jesuit Crusaders. The fight was a lot closer than the 51-18 score suggests. The wheels fell of the Strake Jesuit wagon with 8 minutes left in the game.

whatabeast
11-20-2007, 06:39 PM
I really thought Strake shot themselves in the foot too much and thats why they lost. And boy when the wheels came off, they really came off.

texalaska
11-20-2007, 07:12 PM
I really thought Strake shot themselves in the foot too much and thats why they lost. And boy when the wheels came off, they really came off.

I think they played a better team. 51-18

KatyTigerDad0407
11-20-2007, 07:26 PM
I forgot to mention, if you click on the link you'll get to listen to the announcers.

caveman
11-20-2007, 08:10 PM
Good link; thanks.

cyfallsbooster2
11-20-2007, 08:25 PM
I think they played a better team. 51-18

Yes, they did. Unfortunately, Strake did not have the depth to hang the last 8 minutes. If they had more than about 40 players, they may have kept it closer. Hats' off to Strake. The kids played a hell of a game.:cool:

RangerFan
11-21-2007, 08:40 AM
I don't know their exact enrollment numbers, but Strake is below the UIL 5A cut-off. They have to play 5A because the UIL said so when they let them in. I'm betting their game against Katy was similar to Dallas Jesuit's against Desoto: even until late, when the bigger team wore them down. I am impressed with what both Jesuit schools do, and I appreicate what their players are asked to do all season long. Yes, Katy was the better team. But, it sure helps when you are bigger, faster, and stronger and when you have more bodies to choose from.

KT2000
11-21-2007, 08:45 AM
Strake Jesuit had a much more physical football team this year than I saw in 2004 (their first year in the UIL). You can't even compare the two in that regard.

ktCarl
11-21-2007, 08:48 AM
I don't know their exact enrollment numbers, but Strake is below the UIL 5A cut-off. They have to play 5A because the UIL said so when they let them in. I'm betting their game against Katy was similar to Dallas Jesuit's against Desoto: even until late, when the bigger team wore them down. I am impressed with what both Jesuit schools do, and I appreicate what their players are asked to do all season long. Yes, Katy was the better team. But, it sure helps when you are bigger, faster, and stronger and when you have more bodies to choose from.

Why doesn't the UIL move the Jesuits down to 3A or 4A?

Fleeman93
11-21-2007, 09:14 AM
Why doesn't the UIL move the Jesuits down to 3A or 4A?

Because they don't belong in UIL in the first place. Do you think it would be fair for them to compete in 4a or 3a with the way they show in 5a?

Pool Man
11-21-2007, 04:22 PM
SJ played a phenominal game. Unfortunately, they ran out of time and had to alter their game plan. When they did, the mistakes were abundant, and I think we all know that you can't make mistakes when you play Katy.

caveman
11-21-2007, 04:27 PM
SJ played a phenominal game. Unfortunately, they ran out of time and had to alter their game plan. When they did, the mistakes were abundant, and I think we all know that you can't make mistakes when you play Katy.
When PM speaks,...just listen.

ktCarl
11-21-2007, 04:32 PM

You can't make many mistakes in the playoffs..period.

Dynastybegan86
11-21-2007, 04:56 PM
I can wait to get home and back online. I am out of town for Thanksgiving(Oklahoma) and have but 2 minutes of internet time to even post this before the wife starts yelling. This game was not closer than the score, there was not one time when Katy did not have control of the game. Everyone needs to move on! Go Tigers! Fry the Marlins. PoolMan, keep me posted!

whatabeast
11-21-2007, 06:55 PM
I can wait to get home and back online. I am out of town for Thanksgiving(Oklahoma) and have but 2 minutes of internet time to even post this before the wife starts yelling. This game was not closer than the score, there was not one time when Katy did not have control of the game. Everyone needs to move on! Go Tigers! Fry the Marlins. PoolMan, keep me posted!

In the first half what ever team had the ball controlled the game, neither defense could stop anybody. It's in the past, good luck with Madison this weekend, although unless vince young comes back to high school i think yall will be just fine.

cyfallsbooster2
11-21-2007, 09:21 PM

Going into the 4th and only ahead by, what, 14 points? Yeah, it was in question. Strake did a number on Katy.;)

Fleeman93
11-21-2007, 09:24 PM
Katy only scored 51 against a ball control offense. the jesuits had the ball all but 4 plays of the third quarter. That offense couldn't have scored enough to win the game if they had 4 more third quarters. The game was never in question.

cyfallsbooster2
11-21-2007, 09:39 PM
Katy only scored 51 against a ball control offense. the jesuits had the ball all but 4 plays of the third quarter. That offense couldn't have scored enough to win the game if they had 4 more third quarters. The game was never in question.

It was totally in question. You said it, Strake had the ball all but 4 plays of the 3rd qtr. You had to be squeezing peach seeds long about then. The fact that Katy brings 100+ and Strake brings maybe 40......they did all they could. Just ran out of steam. That has to worry fleeman.

Fleeman93
11-21-2007, 09:51 PM
It was totally in question. You said it, Strake had the ball all but 4 plays of the 3rd qtr. You had to be squeezing peach seeds long about then. The fact that Katy brings 100+ and Strake brings maybe 40......they did all they could. Just ran out of steam. That has to worry fleeman.

You think what you need to think to sleep better at night friend. I'm wondering how the jesuits ball control offense hung 32 on Falls.

hey
11-21-2007, 10:36 PM

True stuff...don't listen to these Katy fans...there was a reason the only sound from their side was their band most of the game.

Fleeman93
11-21-2007, 10:38 PM
True stuff...don't listen to these Katy fans...there was a reason the only sound from their side was their band most of the game.

Let me ask you guys this and I am serious. What do you think it would have taken for the jesuits to win that game?

cyfallsbooster2
11-21-2007, 10:48 PM
You think what you need to think to sleep better at night friend. I'm wondering how the jesuits ball control offense hung 32 on Falls.

No we are talking about last week's game. Katy/Strake. And they had your team against the ropes. Fleeman had to be sqeezing at that point.

Pool Man
11-21-2007, 10:54 PM
Only a few more favorable calls could have helped them that night. Everyone wants to talk about how close the score was, but after watching film on Monday night, there was a no call on pass interference against Fuda in the first half that probably would have been a TD for Katy. There was also a mystery hold that kept the drive alive for SJ on their second possession which they scored on. That right there would have been a 14 point swing. Oh sorry, I forgot, their field goal kicker left his game on the bus, so it would have only been a 13 point difference. The fact still remains though that if the refs make the right call, it would have been 35-12 going into the 4th.

Now before anyone jumps on me about the calls Katy got, I recognize that Dean got a shoulder spot on the 4th down in the fourth quarter, but if all the calls had been correct, SJ would have still been down 23 with eight minutes to go, which is not enough time to continue to run the same game plan they had been running.

I said before that once they were forced out of their game plan, it was all over.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda all you want, but this Katy fan was NEVER worried!

Fleeman93
11-21-2007, 11:05 PM
No we are talking about last week's game. Katy/Strake. And they had your team against the ropes. Fleeman had to be sqeezing at that point.

Fleeman never had a single worry about losing that football game. I didn't like them running on the defense like they did, but if that is the best power rushing game we will see then I will take it giving up only 18 points. Using Falls as the 2nd ranked team in the region for comparison, I see that the jesuits held your offense to 191 yards (Katy had 429). Katy's defense will do the job they need to do to. What about that Katy offense though?

Pool Man
11-21-2007, 11:07 PM
There you go Flee. I think most of the Katy fans were a little frustrated, but not worried.

caveman
11-21-2007, 11:12 PM
Fleeman never had a single worry about losing that football game. I didn't like them running on the defense like they did, but if that is the best power rushing game we will see then I will take it giving up only 18 points. Using Falls as the 2nd ranked team in the region for comparison, I see that the jesuits held your offense to 191 yards (Katy had 429). Katy's defense will do the job they need to do to. What about that Katy offense though?
McVaney was a monster...got a good future if he plays college ball (hope he does).
Looked like a hockey player crashing through on the ice out there.

Fleeman93
11-21-2007, 11:16 PM
McVaney was a monster...got a good future if he plays college ball (hope he does).

Perfect college FB in my opinion.

hey
11-21-2007, 11:53 PM
Let me ask you guys this and I am serious. What do you think it would have taken for the jesuits to win that game?

2 or 3 turnovers by Katy which didn't happen...

hey
11-21-2007, 11:55 PM

He was a hockey player his whole life until last year actually.

eagleike
11-22-2007, 01:18 AM
http://www.texasfootball.com/index.php?s=&change_well_id=2&url_article_id=1518

http://www.lonestargridiron.com/archives/2007logo200x200.jpgChris Doelle is the founder and co-host of Lone Star Gridiron - "The National Podcast of Texas High School Football."

11/19/07 Blog The Houston area had some great games this past weekend as teams fight to be the regional representative in the championships. These are the games I saw this weekend along with a link to the show created with my cohosts, Mike Wright and Ronald Oswalt.First off, Rice stadium was packed with more fans than attend a Rice game when the Katy Tigers took on the Strake Jesuit Crusaders. The fight was a lot closer than the 51-18 score suggests. The wheels fell of the Strake Jesuit wagon with 8 minutes left in the game.

Everybody knows that SJ got :Censor: on 4th down and Dean got stuffed, 28-18 and SJ with the ball? Katy b-holes would have been puckering:eek:

Fleeman93
11-22-2007, 06:52 AM
2 or 3 turnovers by Katy which didn't happen...

I guess what I meant was what could the jesuits have done to win the game. So you are saying there is no way the jesuits could have won without some "gifts" from Katy?

Fleeman93
11-22-2007, 06:53 AM
Everybody knows that SJ got :Censor: on 4th down and Dean got stuffed, 28-18 and SJ with the ball? Katy b-holes would have been puckering:eek:

Might be a full game puckerfest for IKE this weekend against Ridge.

;)

jgg050759
11-22-2007, 08:18 AM
I guess what I meant was what could the jesuits have done to win the game. So you are saying there is no way the jesuits could have won without some "gifts" from Katy?

Turnovers aren't just gifts, they can actually be CAUSED by the other team.

My question is this - are you guys actually this insecure that you have to continue to run down opponents after you have beaten them. You talk about class, and you sometimes show it (although you seem to make sure you point it out so everyone knows it). Congratulations on the win and good luck down the line. Why not walk the walk a little more?

ktCarl
11-22-2007, 08:31 AM

Not at all. I thought the game was over after Katy intercepted McVaney's pass and returned it for a TD. That put Katy up by 2 scores and Strake didn't have the offensive firepower to keep up. Their offensive game plan was taking too much time off the clock which works against you when you're 2 scores down.

B-T-W, this thread should be DEAD by now. We play Madison in a couple of days.

cougmantx
11-22-2007, 01:55 PM
Going into the 4th and only ahead by, what, 14 points? Yeah, it was in question. Strake did a number on Katy.;)

Katy could have beat them by 100 to 7 and there would nah sayers out there saying that Katy sucks...51 vs 18 is a heck of a score in the play offs no matter where you are from.

cougmantx
11-22-2007, 01:57 PM

What world do you live in! AT NO TIME was Katy on the ropes...

katy_dynasty
11-22-2007, 02:19 PM
Turnovers aren't just gifts, they can actually be CAUSED by the other team.

My question is this - are you guys actually this insecure that you have to continue to run down opponents after you have beaten them. You talk about class, and you sometimes show it (although you seem to make sure you point it out so everyone knows it). Congratulations on the win and good luck down the line. Why not walk the walk a little more?

sonds like someones team went home early