PDA

View Full Version : McElroy to Texas Tech???

football fanatic
05-12-2005, 11:39 PM
Just read on redraidersports.com that Leach has offered McElroy. He already has a commitment from Potts of Abiliene.....any thoughts???

jtk1519
05-13-2005, 01:01 AM
Just read on redraidersports.com that Leach has offered McElroy. He already has a commitment from Potts of Abiliene.....any thoughts???

Wouldnt be a good fit if you ask me. Hodges will start this year and then you have Harrell who should have a couple of years. Plus you have Potts who will probably be ranked higher by most recruiting services.

CoppellCowboy57
05-13-2005, 10:10 AM
That would be good for him...high powerd offense alot like SLC

dragonsdaddy
05-13-2005, 10:19 AM
the only reason potts will be ranked higher if he actually is is due to pt. that is a good reason in my book, but i also think, after watching greg for several years, that he will be the better qb. greg will also be getting an offer soon to ole miss per dad. that might be a great fit as greg is similar in style to eli.

JRomeEsPn
05-13-2005, 11:37 AM
I recently had to time to talk to coach Leach, and the subject came up involving the QB uprising in his program. We talked about Mclroy and Potts and discussed what each of them might be able to bring to the table for the Raiders. Coach leach was impressed with Mcelroys size and strength, but was not real impressed with his speed. "Potts can not only bring the size and speed, he can bring the experience," Leach says. "He has the build, the ability, and the want to. Mcelroy doesn't have the work ethic or drive like Potts does." The bias person that I am, the conversation I had with Coach Leach, he was def. leaning toward Potts being the future of this program. Coach Leach is very excited for both these young prospects, and looks forward to seeing these two play. As are we all.

JR

Mr. Buddy Garrity
05-13-2005, 11:49 AM
I recently had to time to talk to coach Leach, and the subject came up involving the QB uprising in his program. We talked about Mclroy and Potts and discussed what each of them might be able to bring to the table for the Raiders. Coach leach was impressed with Mcelroys size and strength, but was not real impressed with his speed. "Potts can not only bring the size and speed, he can bring the experience," Leach says. "He has the build, the ability, and the want to. Mcelroy doesn't have the work ethic or drive like Potts does." The bias person that I am, the conversation I had with Coach Leach, he was def. leaning toward Potts being the future of this program. Coach Leach is very excited for both these young prospects, and looks forward to seeing these two play. As are we all.

JRI think that just about solves the question on who the best QB in the state is. J/K

jtk1519
05-13-2005, 01:38 PM

JR

I like Potts a lot. I watched every one of his games last year. He is a great kid and one of the best QB prospects in the state, but he's also one of the slowest. His latest 40 time was a 5.13 and he's never run better than the mid to high 4.8s. His strength is his arm... not his feet.

dragonsdaddy
05-13-2005, 01:45 PM
i'd take jrome the way the real jrome is taken. with at least a teaspoon of salt, or something stronger if you've got it.

Mr. Buddy Garrity
05-13-2005, 02:26 PM
I like Potts a lot. I watched every one of his games last year. He is a great kid and one of the best QB prospects in the state, but he's also one of the slowest. His latest 40 time was a 5.13 and he's never run better than the mid to high 4.8s. His strength is his arm... not his feet.
I thought in a spread "O" you should have a pretty mobile QB? Sorta like Chase Daniel or Smallwood from Lufkin?

Or really a QB like Jasper's Gilbert Moye? :confused:

jtk1519
05-13-2005, 07:24 PM
I thought in a spread "O" you should have a pretty mobile QB? Sorta like Chase Daniel or Smallwood from Lufkin?

One of many common misconceptions about the spread offense.

drgnbkr
05-13-2005, 11:37 PM
I think jrome rhymes a little too much with home, as in homer.... ;)

drgnbkr
05-13-2005, 11:39 PM

McElroy is plenty mobile..he's just not a breakaway threat like Daniel, but will probably end up having the better arm....lets line em up & blow the whistle...what do ya say?

football fanatic
05-14-2005, 12:18 AM
JRome.....It's good to hear that you are such a confidant of Coach Leach.....and how do you know about mcelroy's work ethic??? Also, why doesn't Potts have more then one offer?? Let's see who makes the Elite 11..Potts or McElroy...

lonny23
05-14-2005, 07:13 AM
I have a feeling that Tech is about to get rolling getting good recruits and making it real hard for UT and A&M to beat them. I only wonder if Leach will stay or go someplace else. Since he's a different cat, he might stay in Lubbock.

Observer
05-14-2005, 10:11 AM
Football fanatic, you sure must like McElroy considering all of your posts have been about him and all your threads started are about him too. Offer check!

jrdaniel
05-14-2005, 11:09 AM
Since he's a different cat, he might stay in Lubbock.
He does the BEST Drunk Vince Gill impersonation ever!!

football fanatic
05-14-2005, 11:45 AM
No....I just thinking taking cheap shots at 16 and 17 year old kids is weak..Lets cheer all the kids on....they all work hard and deserve all of our support...

Eaglewatcher
05-14-2005, 11:50 AM
[QUOTE=jtk1519]I like Potts a lot. I watched every one of his games last year. He is a great kid and one of the best QB prospects in the state, but he's also one of the slowest. [QUOTE][PHP]His latest 40 time was a 5.13 and he's never run better than the mid to high 4.8s.

Jtk - Taylors best 40 times are in the mid 4.7's, not the mid 4.8's. He will be doing some speed work this summer with a former sprint coach and will probably get his times lowered significantly. Taylor is not consistant in his 40 times, but has always been underestimated in his speed. I'm not saying he is FAST, just that he is not as slow as most people seem to think.

Major Cox
05-14-2005, 12:16 PM
Yes, like observer observed, after looking at all your post they all seem to either be about mcelroys success or other qb's failures. you sure seem to call the kettle black when u say that 16 an 17 year olds desevre support when u putting them down all the time! how do you no mcelroys works hard... offer check!

get a life GVM

Texas Hammer
05-14-2005, 03:06 PM
He does the BEST Drunk Vince Gill impersonation ever!!
The guy is pretty cool. He's brutally honest in interviews, but has a dry humor. It seems like he's the Don Nelson of college football.

Shoot2thrill
05-14-2005, 11:02 PM
the only reason potts will be ranked higher if he actually is is due to pt. that is a good reason in my book, but i also think, after watching greg for several years, that he will be the better qb. greg will also be getting an offer soon to ole miss per dad. that might be a great fit as greg is similar in style to eli.

The reason Potts should be rated higher is he started and played 13 games last season and proved himself quite nicely including almost pulling off the W against you guys. McElroy has how many varsity starts under his belt? That experience will carry Potts a long way (or should IMHO). :cool:

drgnbkr
05-14-2005, 11:08 PM
Our opinions matter little right now..their play in the fall will matter most, but most of the services have McElroy rated higher based on camps and workouts they've done...they are both heads above most of the QB's out there

lonny23
05-14-2005, 11:34 PM
Our opinions matter little right now..their play in the fall will matter most, but most of the services have McElroy rated higher based on camps and workouts they've done...they are both heads above most of the QB's out there
I thought my opinion always mattered a lot! :D I guess you learn something new each day.

Shoot2thrill
05-15-2005, 06:32 AM
I thought my opinion always mattered a lot! :D I guess you learn something new each day.

To some, the opinion only counts if you are praising SLC or their athletes.. :eek: .

dragonsdaddy
05-15-2005, 07:39 AM
thriller, your reading comprehension is letting you down, or you didn't read my post at all. i stated exactly what you disagreed with.

Shoot2thrill
05-15-2005, 07:51 AM
thriller, your reading comprehension is letting you down, or you didn't read my post at all. i stated exactly what you disagreed with.

daddyo, my comprehension is as good as anyone's but my memory may be what fails me. I also don't interpret ddaddy lingo well as in "pt". I re-read it and I think I understand your point. :D

dragonsdaddy
05-15-2005, 08:19 AM
if i wasn't such a poor typist, i'd expand and expound more(groans from across the web as this thought is made public). my bad.